Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 5:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6847 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #100 on: May 7th, 2010, 9:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

...after derailing my own thread...it's time to get back to the topic at hand.  for some time now, i've been holding back the direction that this project is headed when the 't' is finished.  the 't' is...but the beginning...albeit the grand part of the complete package.  when pockets and i talk, we speak in terms of a  complete model, a model designed and shown in its entirety.  very much like bruce r's 'goose', the initial visual impact is the outline of the model itself.  as the photo below shows, even from a distance...you know!

thanks to skip gauges' artistic eye, the visual appeal doesn't end there...check out some of the smaller, less obtrusive details.

while the 'goose' was never designed to be a true-to-original nut-n-bolt museum model, the complete 'package' has enough impact that we 'forgive-forget' that it isn't.  the 'goose' is a beautiful example of the collaboration of artist and mechanic.  in addition to being a good looking model that i or anyone else would give anything for just to own, it's a wonderful operating model by design.  it is also a legacy remembrance of skip gauge himself...he will be with us and appreciated by us...always.  that's what makes a model cherished and not a commodity to be bought and sold.  bruce r's and skip's execution of the detail via their vision of the 'goose' makes it a complete package.  there's always something new to see that i've never noticed before.

with the 'goose' fresh in our minds, the 'complete' package for the model 't' is one that pockets and i have been wrangling with for some time.  so far, everybody has either seen or talked about the 't' as an inspection car, but why not a multiple-use car?  so this is where we are going.

moose

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2010, 10:54pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #101 on: May 7th, 2010, 10:30pm »

hi all,

for those that have been curious about the final configuration of 'Moose Meadows #5', the 't' is the grand part of the model, but not all of it.  moose meadows #5 will be like the book that tells a story in many parts...it's like the many interesting small things that the smaller scales do to put life into just a small segment of their railroads.  so here's where i open to discussion about what follows moose meadows #5.  here's the first part of the concept...yes, the truck is wrong, but you can see where we are going.

after being indoctrinated into the tom e. and bruce r. school of trackwork, i've wanted an mow setup, but not a formalized train. so why not as the above photo implies, create a rolling mow story that has the ability to change...besides, i need some place to sit!

the photo below is one of the first projects i'll work on once the 't' is more along, but it's not built as i want it...it's not wood...the derrick jib, i mean!

the second addition will be the tie car with removable sides.  it will hide a seat system (i do have to have somewhere to sit!).

...and borrowing ideas from the smaller scales..i can eventually go a little further with the story.

maybe something like this, in time!

or swapping out the drum car for something like this...

i can keep building even when my caboose workings have ceased!  so...here's my question to you, do you have a better pic or plan of a 2 axle wood derrick tie car?  timber companies were noted for building what they needed in their own shops.  i've seen what i want, but can't put my fingers on the source material.  the internet is notorious for the distruction of source sites and materials.  gettin' late, 'nuff for now.

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #102 on: May 8th, 2010, 8:24am »

Moosey,
The Gilpin Tram / Silver City, Pinos Altos & Mogolon will give a sense of proportion for this type of rolling stock, in two foot gauge. There is a darth of photos on the Maine MOW stuff and it would probably be too mainline for the MMLC. You might want to look at the timber cars and dump cars from mining facilities.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #103 on: May 8th, 2010, 3:10pm »

Every so often, what remains of my aging brain hits second gear and I have an additional thought..... A great many of the contractor's railroads were built to two foot gauge and used diminutive equipment. You may, also, take a look at the British and German WWI trench stock. Lots of four wheel stuff there.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #104 on: May 24th, 2010, 8:13pm »

hi all,

pockets:  yes!  i've even looked building shell wagons (two axle flatcars) and latrine cars.   nah...too new!

on May 8th, 2010, 3:10pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Every so often, what remains of my aging brain hits second gear and I have an additional thought..... A great many of the contractor's railroads were built to two foot gauge and used diminutive equipment. You may, also, take a look at the British and German WWI trench stock. Lots of four wheel stuff there.

Greg B.

btw, when you are doing research, you come up with the funniest things.   when you absolutely must have a loco, no matter the scale!

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2010, 8:17pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

BillD53A

« Reply #105 on: May 25th, 2010, 7:17am »

Is that rail truck on the trans-Florida Central?  Thay had several critters of interesting design.  Don Hensley's TAPLINES website has more info.  He sells a soft-covered book with more pix.

Bachmann makes Atlas
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #106 on: May 25th, 2010, 3:11pm »

hi all,

billd53a: hi there!  and, yes it was...now, where's this one from?  

on May 25th, 2010, 7:17am, BillD53A wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is that rail truck on the trans-Florida Central?  Thay had several critters of interesting design.  Don Hensley's TAPLINES website has more info.  He sells a soft-covered book with more pix.

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #107 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:27pm »

This will be old hat to the experienced builders, anongst us, but not everyone has that experience. You "old hands" will just have to bear with me.

Where the heck were we? Oh, yeah, muffins. I brought the first photo foreward to refresh my memory.

After getting the shop back in order, digging a pond and getting the garden underway, We are at the point in the photo below; the lathe spinning merrily and making little ones out of big ones....

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 6:28pm by pockets » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #108 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:42pm »

Spin 'em to size and trial fit..... Got lucky on the first try!  

I was busy drillin' and forgot to take a pic (yawn). Anywho, this is a shot of the last weapons poked through these sleeves. That's a 7/8" ream.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #109 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:48pm »

Dust the front end to length - 1.50"

To the saw to lop off the excess. Then back to the lathe and face the hind end to .375"

pockets
Historian

« Reply #110 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:56pm »

Spend a little time deburring, with file and crocus and you end up with a gazinta, as below....

Pop the gazinta inta the wheel and enjoy a pivo.  

Next, we're off to the mill for a keway and cross-drilling.

Thanks for your interest,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #111 on: May 25th, 2010, 7:00pm »

hi all,

pockets:  i can't wait to get excited!!!!....oops, too late!!!

lookin' good!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 10:06pm »

Okay, I haven't posted in a while. (some things are better left unsaid ) The keyways have been machined and the next stop for the muffins / hubs will be the rotary table, but first, a report on Moosey's rear axle.

That's it, above, with the second end sticking out of the chuck. About halfway through the first end the DRO took leave of it's senses, resulting in the photos below:

Luckily, #2 son is a bit of a tron chaser....

pockets
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 10:26pm »

After getting the DRO sorted out and finishing the first end, John reversed the axle and started the second end.... Being the "good dad" and, possibly, a little too quality concious, I walked over and looked over his shoulder. In doing so, I placed my hand on the headstock, right above the bearing at the chuck end. It was warm. I put a hand on the rear cap and it was near enough ambient temperature. I told John to back out of his cut and shut the machine off. The photos below illustrate the next two days:

Yes he's blurry. A normal condition for a deadblow arbor press

Fortunately we caught it before the lathe hurt itself. The bushings were okay so all we had to do was clean some oil passages, change the oil and reassemble. After conversations with Moosey and John, that jinxed axle is in the scrap bucket! We'll start, tomorrow, with a new blank from a different bar!! Just another week in the Clam Lake shops

Greg B

Henry
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 11:58am »

I once had the pleasure of rebuilding a sloppy WWII era Simplex lathe, I think it had a 14" swing. It was all bronze bushings, which we had to have custom made. That was back in the days when my job was rebuilding steam safety valves, mid to late '80s. I really miss having access to machine tools.

Henry

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #115 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 1:04pm »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 10:26pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes he's blurry. A normal condition for a deadblow arbor press Greg B

Greg,  is the blurryness and the earthquake in Canada a coincidence?

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 2:53pm »

Henry,
Thanks for the response (You too, Tom). I like to build things and I'd be lost without my tools. Around the Boden leantoo, improvisation is often the order of the day. A bracket for this, a mount for that or a hanger for something else. Although trains are the air that I breath, I have built hot rods, race cars and boats. I just don't know how people get through life without a lathe in the garage. They ought to come with every house, just like a hot water heater...

Tom, the pic was taken the day before the quake. The picture quality is actually the result of my following some "expert" advice regarding the digital camera. The quake knocked a bottle of Windex off a shelf in the shop.

Started whittling metal for Moosey's front crossmember.

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 6:53pm »

Holy mackeral Greg, now I see what you were telling my on the phone. Man, I hope I don't have to do that any time soon to my old tired 1942 "babbit" bearing Atlas. She still seems to do what I need it to do. Thank Goodness!  

And, as you remember, as I do, our late friend Ben would say to us, "Guys, we ain't buildin watches here". How true. And how many of our contemoraries forget that little bit of wisdom from an old time live steamer.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #118 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 9:02pm »

on Jun 25th, 2010, 6:53pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  And, as you remember, as I do, our late friend Ben would say to us, "Guys, we ain't buildin watches here". How true. And how many of our contemoraries forget that little bit of wisdom from an old time live steamer.  

Boy how true.  I hear from Mel all the time,"Hey tommy-boy, it ain't going on the space shuttle,  just get er done!"

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 9:14pm »

Yeah, Bruce, Ben had it right.

This adventure wasn't all bad. It gave me a chance to walk John through a process that most of us have to figure out all by our lonesome. I had a dear friend, Carl Yonkers, back in my Chessie System days. I can still hear him yell at the younger machinists, "Finess, dammit finess! You can't fight iron and win, ya gotta out smart it!" I had that very conversation with John. A minute later he proved the point; he gave that bull gear a mighty whack and it jumped up and took the top off one of his knuckles! Sometimes ya just hafta learn the hard way...

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »