Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 4:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

GE 70-Tonner Rebuild
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   GE 70-Tonner Rebuild
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: GE 70-Tonner Rebuild  (Read 856 times)
Pennsy4483
Railfan
GE 70-Tonner Rebuild
  70_Tonner_Rebuild_003.jpg - 54034 Bytes
« on: Dec 27th, 2009, 10:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Merry Christmas to all!

Well, after much debate (and a little encouragement from the Chief Financial Officer) I have decided to do a complete rebuild of my 70-tonner.  I have owned the loco for about 5 years now and it has sat stationary for the past three years.  What I thought was going to be a "simple" regauging project turned out to be a little more than I bargained for.

I bought the locomotive in Buffalo New York and was able to run it up north (on a 7.5 inch track), but have been unable to run down here in Florida.  With the assistance of Bruce (the larger) and Jeff Dute it was decided to scrap the original trucks and build new ones.  Well during this process, I got to thinking that I would prefer an electric loco over a gas-hydraulic.  The loco was originally powered by a 3-Hp Tecumseh via an Eaton hydrostatic unit.

This past Saturday I made the trip down to the North (Fl) track and gutted the loco for the trip home.  This project I am sure will be filled with ups and downs, but hey nothing worth doing is ever easy.  Wish me luck and encouragement (because I will likely need it).  Here are some photos after the loco arrived home.  Enjoy!

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/70_Tonner_Rebuild_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
Re: GE 70-Tonner Rebuild
  70_Tonner_Rebuild_009.jpg - 67715 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2009, 10:15pm »

Another photo of the 70-tonner prior to the rebuild.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/70_Tonner_Rebuild_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  70_Tonner_Rebuild_011.jpg - 68878 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2009, 10:45pm »

One more nose on shot.  Please excuse my loco transporter.  Gotta get by with what you have (sometimes kid's toys have new uses!).

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/70_Tonner_Rebuild_011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 12:08pm »

Don,
    I like the rubber trucks you have it on now. It kind of has that tour bus/street trolly look about it. I look forward to following along on your project. Good Luck to you.
Russell

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 5:47pm »

Don,

Sorry that I did'nt respond quicker. That should end up a neat loco. I'm sure with the good help you have available, the ups and downs will be not to hard to handle.

Hope to see you soon,

Bruce the smaller

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Machining_2_2.jpg - 89432 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:05am »

This thread has been quiet for a long time, though the progress made has had some action.  Here is a photo of the mill work on the bearing blocks.  Enjoy.  These started off as cast iron pieces which required quite bit of machining to get them to size prior to the detail work.  Enjoy.

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Machining_2_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:19am by Pennsy4483 » Logged
Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Side_Frames_2.jpg - 55741 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:09am »

Here is a photo of the semi-complete side frames (front and back).

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Side_Frames_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Test_Fit_2_2.jpg - 69492 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:10am »

Test fit of the entire power truck assembly.  Finally getting somwhere....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Test_Fit_2_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:10am by Pennsy4483 » Logged
Pennsy4483
Railfan
  photo_5_3.jpg - 66720 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:12am »

Another pic of the power truck assembly almost complete.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/photo_5_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 9:17am »

This will be the final update for today.  This past weekend I continued working on finalizing the trucks focusing on spring keepers.  With the help of a friend (T), the design and material cutting was completed (sorry no photos).  Remaining work includes constructing a jig to bend the spring retainers in, bending and machining of the spring keepers,  and taking care of the king-pin hole on the truck bolsters.  Have a great week everybody!

Don

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014, 11:31am by Pennsy4483 » Logged
BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30th, 2014, 11:29pm »

Don, I'm glad to see you making some progress! It is amazing how time can slip by when working on a rebuild such as this.

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15th, 2014, 8:58am »

Made it to my friends shop again yesterday and logged in about 5 hours of work on the spring keepers.  All are now to size and ready for for the final steps of bending and adding the spring seats.

Bobby - it is amazing how much time goes by....I am aiming for test and shake down runs in October, likley over at the Frog Hollow and Southern.  We'll see if I can make my goal.  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20th, 2014, 10:18pm »

on Sep 15th, 2014, 8:58am, Pennsy4483 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Made it to my friends shop again yesterday and logged in about 5 hours of work on the spring keepers.  All are now to size and ready for for the final steps of bending and adding the spring seats.

Bobby - it is amazing how much time goes by....I am aiming for test and shake down runs in October, likley over at the Frog Hollow and Southern.  We'll see if I can make my goal.  

nice work!  keep the pics coming!

moose  

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Complete_Truck_assembly_2.jpg - 80624 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28th, 2014, 7:37pm »

Well I did some more work on the trucks today.  All spring keepers were bent and fitted.  Additionally, I completed the pilot hole for the kingpin on the bolster.  I couldn't help myself by test fit the entire truck assembly with springs installed.  I still need to complete the seats for on the spring keepers and make straps to keep the traction motors in place.  I am finally at a point where I can complete all of the remaining tasks in my shop since no more mill work is required.  Shown here is a photo of the test fit of the entire truck assembly.

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Complete_Truck_assembly_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Spring_Seats.jpg - 56651 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30th, 2014, 1:37pm »

I did a little bit of work last night in my shop and was able to make 4 of the spring seats for the keepers.  The photo is the first two seats installed into a spring keeper.  These had little stubs that I peened to keep them firmly in the keepers.

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Spring_Seats.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  ALL_SEATS.jpg - 56561 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Oct 4th, 2014, 10:31pm »

I made it out to the shop again today and earlier this evening I completed making all off the spring seats.  Now, I have to mount them to the spring hangers.  The final bit of maching that I need to do is making straps to keep the traction motors in place. That should be fairly straightforward (at least I hope so...).  

I am working on getting all the pieces parts for the electrical side bought.  I hope to have a shake down run later this month at the Frog Hollow & Southern.  Have a great weekend!

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ALL_SEATS.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2014, 8:39am »

This past Saturday I was able to finish installing off of the spring seats into the keepers (sorry no pics).  

During the week I also made some less physical but just as important progress.  I took my frame to get powder coated last week and hope to have it back later this week.  Additionally I purchased three 8-volt batteries and charger.  Next up are making the motor straps and then the process of wiring begins.  With a little bit of luck, I may be able to get in a test run in a couple of weeks.

Don

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2014, 6:19pm »

on Oct 13th, 2014, 8:39am, Pennsy4483 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This past Saturday I was able to finish installing off of the spring seats into the keepers (sorry no pics).  

During the week I also made some less physical but just as important progress.  I took my frame to get powder coated last week and hope to have it back later this week.  Additionally I purchased three 8-volt batteries and charger.  Next up are making the motor straps and then the process of wiring begins.  With a little bit of luck, I may be able to get in a test run in a couple of weeks.

Don

don:  pics or not (wanna see pics, though!), progress is good!

moose

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  IMG_0003.jpg - 93534 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26th, 2014, 9:04pm »

Good Sunday Eve!  Today my goal was to complete the motor straps, which I thought was going to be an easy task.    After a few modifications and some fabrication, all attempts to install useable motor straps failed miserably.  No matter what I tried, the rotational movement of the motor frames was too significant and then some binding occurred.  My level of frustration kept going up.  SWMBO came out to check on my progress (or in my case lack thereof), well she of course had the solution, call Scott L. (of the Frog Hollow & Southern) and see if he was home to lend some assistance.  Long story short, I went over to Scott's and after a bit of analyzing the situation, some angle iron was fabricated to act as the strap.  This allows some play between the two motors for flexibility.  Shown below is a photo of the solution that he came up with.  I believe that it will function as desired.  Once I get it out-shopped, over to the Frog Hollow and Southern for the first shakedown run.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_0003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  IMG_0004.jpg - 88823 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26th, 2014, 9:07pm »

Next photo shows my frame I recently picked up from the powder coaters.  They did a great job and the cost was very reasonable.  I will be using them again!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_0004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »