Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 7:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!  (Read 1843 times)
ac16
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!

« Reply #40 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 10:39am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello All,
I'm Rob, the other bloke helping with Brisbane Valley Tramway - known to Fred 55 as the slave driver . Was living in Queensland (during which time I guided Fred55 through the in's and out's of getting B15 ready to take steam) sadly since moved 1000km away to NSW to drive the "Big Trains", but still assisting via the phone with both B15 and the new Brisbane Valley Tramway (designed the rail profile, basic route layout, points used, organized for extrusion of rail, safe working manual and general whip cracking to make sure Fred doesn’t slow down).
I started out on 1 foot to the inch steam and track work back when I was 16, then got disenchanted with the way things were going with local societies so jumped down to 5" gauge, bought two wrecked loco's - which I proceeded to refurbish mechanically to a high standard (both now employ master mechanic features). Now in NSW, another mate just bought a 60k 7 ¼” steamer (pics to follow) which he leaves me to do general overhauls, repairs and maintenance (eg the stuff he can’t) and drive (if he’s not in a mood) of.  Currently working on getting the new club steam engine for Fred 55’s line going (a 0-4-2) in amongst designing a new series of electric loco’s for the railway based on the QGR DL (http://www.home.railscene.com/zanatta/loco/dl.htm) – ATM hoping for four to be done. While driving full size ones and undertaking a full size steam restoration. All in all very little happening in life really.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Jun 19th, 2011, 8:27pm »

hi all,

hey rob!  welcome to the live steam board here on railfan.net!  be sure and cruise all of the threads of interest...and chime in with the rest of us.  btw, the link you posted with a picture of gulflander dl4, now she's a cutey!  ...strange critter she is too!  if someone is trying or is in the midst of building her, let them post a thread here on the live steam board.

we are a teaching forum, so, ask any questions if you will and post a thread of the work you are doing so you can share with us.

again, welcome aboard!

moose...one of der moderators...

pockets
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 12:19am »

Welcome amongst us, Rob. Please post about your projects.

By the way, I would be particularly interested in details of the trailing truck on that 0-4-2.

Again, welcome,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
PRR_5406
TRAINing
View Profile  

Wash_Cty_07_10_11_5.jpg - 94437 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Jul 14th, 2011, 9:25am »

My name is Dick, and I've been involved in the "grunt side" of live steam in Maine, for about 6 years.  I started constructing cars about three years ago, one a LIRR N22a, modern caboose, which opens as a tool box on the rails.  That was followed by almost identical B&M and New Haven wooden cabeese, in exchange for trucks.  My next project was a functional Bangor and Aroostook refrigerator car, two wooden boxcars, and most recently two LIRR wooden N52a caboozles.  I own a Reading A5a Camelback, fired on coal.  I've been involved in railfanning and railroad preservation for over 50 years.  My first loves are Long Island and Pennsy steam.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (94437 bytes, 1024x486 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Wash_Cty_07_10_11_5.jpg - 94437 Bytes

Henry
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jul 14th, 2011, 10:38am »

Hi Dick, Welcome to the Live Steam board!

That's a nice looking BAR reefer! In what way is it functional, can it act as a cooler for some relief on hot summer days?

I'm a PRR (and by extension LIRR) steam fan as well.

Glad to have you aboard!

Henry

ncbqguy
TRAINing
View Profile  

DSC04080_512x384.jpg - 53606 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 11:41pm »

My name is Charlie Vlk and we moved to Mt. Juliet, TN (near Nashville) in April from Arlington Heights near Chicago to be closer to our grandkids and escape Chicago winters and taxes.

I'm a lifelong Model Railroader and have been in N Scale for 40 years.   I've had a dormant Live Steam virus for many years and it contributed to our decision to buy a five acre lot to build a house.    

I have joined the Chattanooga Society of Model Engineers and intend to join the Mid-South Live Steamers but we always seem to be out of town for their meets.    

I have no machine tool experience and will probably buy a electric critter to help build the railroad.  Eventually I would like to build a Baldwin VO-1000.
My main prototype interest is the CB&Q.

I am semi-retired; I worked as a corporate architect until being "downsized" and made a second career in the Model Railroad Industry, first working for JMC/Con-Cor, then Kato USA for a total of 11 years.   For the past seven years I've been an Independent Consultant doing R&D and Lettering & Painting Artwork for various clients, primarily Broadway Limited but I've had assignments from most of the other major manufacturers.

I'm looking forward to getting into 1.6" Scale 71/2" gauge railroading and have already met a bunch of great people both in person and through the internet!!

Best regards,
Charlie Vlk

The attached photo is me allowing the virus to run rampant at the Deerfield & Roundabout near Chicago.  Obviously I was pretty sick by this point in the afternoon.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/DSC04080_512x384.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 6:45am »

Welcome aboard Charlie!

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 8:47pm »

Well, Charlie, after 30+ years, I finally know what you look like!

Anyone up for a 7-1/2" gauge Aeolus?

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 9:24pm »

Charlie,

Please forgive me for not jumping in quicker to welcome you to the railfan.net live steam forum. The other moderators and live steam friends beat me to it. I certainly hope that you enjoy the many threads that are posted on this site by and for real "live steam gentlemen".  

Something that we should mention to new folks here, and we don't often enough, is that if it were not for the vision and graciousness of the owner/manager of this entire site, we would not have this friendly and cordial live steam forum to enjoy.

Charlie, jump in anywhere. You will find the folks that useually post here practice the "non know it all" attitude. Nobody will be talking down to you. That is the reason that so many of us post here. Its friendly and fun. And that is what a hobby is supposed to be. And, along with all of that, we all just might learn something from someone else here to boot.

So, again, enjoy railfan.net's live steam forum. Good to have you here.

Bruce Raykiewicz (ErieAtlantic7597)

ncbqguy
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Sep 11th, 2012, 8:24am »

on Sep 7th, 2012, 8:47pm, Marty_Feldner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, Charlie, after 30+ years, I finally know what you look like!

Anyone up for a 7-1/2" gauge Aeolus?

Marty-
30+ years ago I didn't look like that!!!
Well, I've thought about an Aeolus* or a set of E5s....but the cost and size of a nice set of Budd Stainless Steel passenger cars to go along with either is making me think more along the lines of a Baldwin VO1000....or maybe a K2 ten wheeler!!
Good to hear from you!
Charlie Vlk

* "back in the day" Marty drafted the plans for the Burlington S4a 4-6-4 Hudson "Aeolus" which was sheathed in stainless steel as protection power for the Twin Cities Zephyr and Denver Zephyr "motors".  They were published by Railroad Model Craftsman and are available separately from Craftsman in case anyone wants to tackle building one!

Pin-Pal
TRAINing

« Reply #50 on: Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:45am »

Hello all!
My name is Aron, I'm from the Ann Arbor Michigan area and have had the "train bug" since I was little.  Being involved with a local full scale club when I was younger, then that pesky thing called "life" got in the way.
Well recently I was given the green light to start construction at the in-laws farm
Cant wait till the weather breaks so i can start surveying!

Preliminary doodle:

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:34pm »

Aron,

Welcome to the 'live steam' forum here at railfan.net. You'll find this forum not only friendly, but that the posters here will say, up front, that they don't know everything there is to know in the live steam hobby.

BTW, that looks like a good piece of property that your planning trackage for.  

Good to have you here.

Bruce R.

Pin-Pal
TRAINing

« Reply #52 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 8:50am »

Thanks Bruce!

Ill be the first to admit I only know one thing, this hobby is EXPENSIVE
Which leads me to my first question, there is a train for sale on DLS that includes 2000 ft of track but it is on 2x2's, do you guys believe 2x2's properly ballasted would be sufficient?  Or am I better off buying new with 2x4's?

My goal is to EVENTUALLY run a small steam loco, but that will be down the track some time
I figure a small work train with gas over hydraulic, or an electric loco would be more efficient to start...    

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 9:00am »

Aron, there is a huge thread dedicated just to track building in this forum. Take a look at that. I have built, and maintain a LOT of track. Why don't we have this discussion in the track building thread. Or maybe after viewing that thread, your question will be answered. I'll PM you on this subject.

Thanks for the interest,

Bruce R.

BillD53A

« Reply #54 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:24am »

I havebeen  away from the site for a while, what has become  of Erie Atlantic?

Bachmann makes Atlas
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 6:48pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:24am, BillD53A wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I havebeen  away from the site for a while, what has become  of Erie Atlantic?

hi billd53a,

the long and the short of it is that erieatlantic7597 has decided to take a break from spending so much time posting here and working on live steam railroads of others.  i would say that he still cruises through here to see what's going on, but for the time being, remains a lurker.  nor would i say that he's retired from live steaming...to the contrary, i do believe he is enjoying being a visitor to other tracks, being able to spend the time improving his home in sw florida, and reconnecting to long ignored passion for classic/hot rod autos.  so, if you travel, you never know where you might run in to him.  a passionate guy for his hobbies, you just never know!

and btw, glad to see you back in the forums!

moose

BillD53A

« Reply #56 on: Jul 25th, 2013, 12:20pm »

Thanks Moose, I was beginning to wonder about him.

Bachmann makes Atlas
kapullen
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jul 9th, 2014, 1:31pm »

Hi,
 My name is Kap. I played with trains since I was just a pup.
It started when I was three or four with a Lionel 0-4-0 set at Christmas.
Two of my brothers have similar interests.
After graduating high school (1969) I started a Machinists Apprenticeship at a large
company in Baltimore. Before that was done I had a Unimat and was making
stationary engines at home.  
An English engine, Rob Roy was next.
Two more steam engines, three traction engines, and four electric/gas engines
and we are at 2014. A lot of time went to waste.
Now I work at NASA making, and Fixing things for space, and make, and fix train parts
at home.
I have a pair of 0-4-0's going together now.
This is part of a club project that was never finished in the 80's.
I have a full machine shop at home and do cylinder and other locomotive
work.
Kap

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #58 on: Jul 10th, 2014, 10:49am »

Welcome Kap.  Must be interesting working for NASA.  Hope to see what you are working on at home that is.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
kapullen
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Jul 10th, 2014, 3:26pm »

Thanks Tom,

Moose, I have read pages, and pages of your crummy thread (Caboose that is).
It's nice to see something instead of locomotives for a while. I can tell you put a lot  
of care and pride in your work.

Kap

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »