Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!  (Read 1846 times)
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!

« Reply #20 on: May 24th, 2010, 6:37am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi, Been hovering here a little while, love your stories and build details.  I am from Australia, just up the road from Surfers Paradise in beautiful sunny Queensland.    I am a "newbie" having grown from the comfort of 0n30 up to the exciting world of 2" to the foot.   At a little way into my sixties I come with an engineering background of Zero, so I'm going through "the pain".
In a bit over 2 years I've created a vintage railmotor out of a quad bike and restored a "barn find" live steamer. Lots of frustration, lots of learning (forums and you tube), but lots of achievement as everything has to be scratchbuilt.
I hope one day, to build a Mason Bogie, like Richard Ulin's, which will need lots of research, parts hunting and magazine chasing.

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
pockets
Historian

« Reply #21 on: May 24th, 2010, 9:15am »

Fred,
Welcome to the fold, as it were. There is a great bunch hanging out here. You "down under" guys have a rich heritage in the hobby, especially for those of us that enjoy narrow gauge.  

That's some sweet looking equipment.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #22 on: May 24th, 2010, 7:49pm »

hi all,

fred_55:  welcome to the railfan live steam board...as a poster!  i'm glad you're enjoying our sessions here.  know that when you start a thread about the projects that you are working on, it's yours.  we work hard to keep the threads focused and on track.  we aren't about casual conversations, but many of us do talk by phone or internet phone quite frequently.  you can also start a topical thread about an event in your area or one that might interest others on this board, but it will be removed after the fact when the event has concluded.  as you've probably noticed, our threads are more technical in nature and are kept around as references for our newcomers to browse.  we welcome your comments on the work we are doing and will be watching your threads with equal interest.  the end-game for us is to learn from each other and to guide newcomers to the hobby with no-nonsense, no b-s, no ego practical advice.  and btw, have a great time doing it!

while american prototypes are what i'm most familiar with, the lands of auz and taz are just drippin' rich with the narrow gauge 'critters' and locos that a couple of us just go nuts for.  one day, i'd like to have an extended visit...if i can survive the plane trip.  

your equipment is gorgeous!  if you've wandered through many of our threads, you'll no doubt have run across bruce r's 'goose'.  yes, railbus and criiter is spoken here!   the mason bogie is a great 'little' big engine...very popular in the western united states, but almost unseen here in the eastern part.

...would i be correct to say that your model might be based on something like this?

like i said....welcome to the live steam boards here on railfan...please feel free to im or email, might even find a way to talk via skype!

moose the caboose

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2010, 7:59pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #23 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:01am »

Thanks guys. Yes I've seen the goose. Very nice "mood" model. Actually Fred and the other "red" railmotors had an almost identical history, saving the bacon on non profitable lines. Fred was based on an AEC chassis, the same as old London buses with spiral staircase. Mine is based on a quad bike, 110 c.c. with 3 speed and reverse manual gearbox and disc brakes.
 Moose, thats the actual prototype you found. It even had circles on the windows so people who had never experienced glass in a moving vehicle, wouldn't bang their heads!
Like Bruce's model, mine needs little people occasionally.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #24 on: May 25th, 2010, 6:54pm »

hi all,

fred_55:  that's a wonderful pic...now how did you build 'the red fred'?  please consider starting a thread if you have the builders' photos...which i hope you took.  as i said, 'critter' (not criiter) is spoken here - some times lightly, but understood!

if you don't feel that you have enough material to warrant a thread on 'red fred', please consider posting your comments and pictures in either the 'electric loco land' or 'gasoline alley' threads (which speak to have the models are powered).  i've brought both forward from our boneyard.

btw, are those wooden rails you're riding on?  haven't seen that is sometime...one of the steam railroads serving my area ran on 12"x12" timbers.  they ran down in the swamps and timberlands logging for a bean-hamper company.

hope to see your pictures and comments...frequently!

moose

on May 25th, 2010, 6:01am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks guys. Yes I've seen the goose. Very nice "mood" model. Actually Fred and the other "red" railmotors had an almost identical history, saving the bacon on non profitable lines. Fred was based on an AEC chassis, the same as old London buses with spiral staircase. Mine is based on a quad bike, 110 c.c. with 3 speed and reverse manual gearbox and disc brakes.
 Moose, thats the actual prototype you found. It even had circles on the windows so people who had never experienced glass in a moving vehicle, wouldn't bang their heads!
Like Bruce's model, mine needs little people occasionally.

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #25 on: May 26th, 2010, 4:46am »

Yeah, I'll do a build story for you. It'll be a bit different cos I didn't have any preconcieved methods, and I'll try to talk to the spell check about printing in "critter" instead of "English, Australia"
Wooden rails ....... come on, this may be the never never land, but we have the fastest narrow gauge railway in the world  (google- tilt train Queensland)     Seriously, anything wood here gets eaten by termites, and scale rail is only for millionaires. Simple 30 x 12 black iron bar welded to 25 x 6 ties, then hardwood or concrete under.
Heres a link for some Aussie critters.  or google "tramways", (thats what we call our private shortlines).

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrr_Pubs.htm

http://www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek/

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #26 on: May 27th, 2010, 6:49pm »

hi all,

fred_55:  well, ya'll really do have active termites!!   jus...that the pictures weren't clear.

as soon as i can find my print of the plant city-arcadia rr, i'll post it.  it shows a shay running of 12x12 timbers.  and btw, the tram pics are cool!

on May 26th, 2010, 4:46am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah, I'll do a build story for you. It'll be a bit different cos I didn't have any preconcieved methods, and I'll try to talk to the spell check about printing in "critter" instead of "English, Australia"
Wooden rails ....... come on, this may be the never never land, but we have the fastest narrow gauge railway in the world  (google- tilt train Queensland)     Seriously, anything wood here gets eaten by termites, and scale rail is only for millionaires. Simple 30 x 12 black iron bar welded to 25 x 6 ties, then hardwood or concrete under.
Heres a link for some Aussie critters.  or google "tramways", (thats what we call our private shortlines).

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrr_Pubs.htm

http://www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek/

moose

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #27 on: May 28th, 2010, 7:58pm »

G'day All,

Just signed up to railfan and thought I'd say Hi.
My area of interest is in miniature railways and I am currently building my own miniature railway around my property in Tasmania - Australia.
It's called the "Boulder Creek Tramway" and has been under construction for around 12 months or so now. It is a 7 1/4" gauge railway featuring a steep and winding track which will pass over a couple of bridges and through a tunnel by the time it is complete. Total track length will be about 800 metres. Have a look at the website at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
I will post a new topic titled "Boulder Creek Tramway" and will keep you informed of progress and website updates.
Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Regards,
Dave.

Here's the direct link to the Boulder Creek Tramway thread: Boulder Creek Link

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010, 11:45pm by Boulder Creek » Logged

Visit the Boulder Creek Tramway at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
pockets
Historian

« Reply #28 on: May 28th, 2010, 8:28pm »

Welcome, Dave. I look foreward to following your progress. I am still (endlessly?) moving dirt around, but swear I'll have track on the ground this year!

Greg B.

OMG!! I just took a look at your site. I was there, a few days ago, shamelessly downloading the pics of your critter. There are a couple of us here that really enjoy that stuff.

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010, 8:32pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #29 on: May 28th, 2010, 10:40pm »

hi all,

dave:  welcome to the railfan live steam board!  wonderful to have you guys checking in and posting with us.  do spend some time and check out all the threads here...you'll find that we work hard at protecting threads of technical merit and will eventually delete threads of topical nature.  as you will also no doubt discover, when you start a thread it is yours.  unlike other boards, hijacking a thread isn't 'on' here.  pockets is right...a couple of us have spent some time on your site...lots to see!  and believe me, we look forward to seeing progress on your tramway.

to all:  i know it has been said before...please feel free to email or im any question or comment you don't want to post in open forum.  you'll find your moderators and fellow posters most approachable.  the live steam board was a gift to us by the main board owner, henry.   we made a promise to henry to keep a 'tight' schedule and not let bickering, flaming or bad language destroy what he worked to build.  we made a promise to ourselves to mentor newcomers to the hobby with no nonsense advice.

on May 28th, 2010, 7:58pm, Boulder Creek wrote:       (Click here for original message)
G'day All,

Just signed up to railfan and thought I'd say Hi.
My area of interest is in miniature railways and I am currently building my own miniature railway around my property in Tasmania - Australia.
It's called the "Boulder Creek Tramway" and has been under construction for around 12 months or so now. It is a 7 1/4" gauge railway featuring a steep and winding track which will pass over a couple of bridges and through a tunnel by the time it is complete. Total track length will be about 800 metres. Have a look at the website at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
I will post a new topic titled "Boulder Creek Tramway" and will keep you informed of progress and website updates.
Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Regards,
Dave.

welcome dave and fred_55, enjoy the ride!

moose

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #30 on: May 28th, 2010, 11:54pm »

Thanks Guys,

I hope you all find my site of interest.

Regards,
Dave.

Visit the Boulder Creek Tramway at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
Henry
Historian

« Reply #31 on: May 29th, 2010, 9:17am »

on May 28th, 2010, 11:54pm, Boulder Creek wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Guys,

I hope you all find my site of interest.

Regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum!

I just spent an enjoyable 45 minutes browsing your site and I congratulate you on your progress so far!

Looking forward to the updates,

Henry

popawell
TRAINing

« Reply #32 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 12:39am »

Hello, 21 year old from kawkawlin MI.
Been a fan of railroads since the day I was born, used to live in Reese; a small railroading town just south of Bay City.

I stumbled across this site searching for references to the steam engine I am currently building. The people here are amazing wealth of information and experience, I plan on adding my own as my project goes underway.  

jimini2939
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:49pm »

Hello
My name is Jim and home is in Mishawaka,IN  I have been a member of the Hesston Steam Museum since the early 60's.  2' 3' 14"& 71/2" gauges.
My main interest has been in the 71/2 gauge.  I'm also a long time member of the Tri-State Locomotive Club.  The club does not have a track of its own but travels to other members home tracks each month during the summer months.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Dec 10th, 2010, 8:23am »

oops!  

jim:  sorry about not catching your post sooner...time slips!  anywho, welcome to the railfan live steam board!  we hope your visits will be frequent and enjoyable!

moose

on Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:49pm, jimini2939 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello
My name is Jim and home is in Mishawaka,IN  I have been a member of the Hesston Steam Museum since the early 60's.  2' 3' 14"& 71/2" gauges.
My main interest has been in the 71/2 gauge.  I'm also a long time member of the Tri-State Locomotive Club.  The club does not have a track of its own but travels to other members home tracks each month during the summer months.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 7:48am »

Hi, I am MTCG16,but my name is Mark. While I am interested in all trains, my passions are for the Lehigh Valley and Miniature train company trains. Looking forward to seeing everyones pictures and listening to your stories. Thanks for letting me climb aboard!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:13pm »

hi mark,

my apologies for not replying sooner...seems we are in 'flux' again as to what this board is about.  until the questions are resolved, take time to wander through all the threads (yes, even those that are 3 or 4 pages back in time).   while mtc equipment isn't common in our modeling experience, i can't think of anyone who hasn't had some childhood experiences with them.  as has been noted, we are a board of builders, teachers...mentorers, if you like.  think of positioning your thread about the story of your interest, how you came into possession and what you had/have to do to restore/maintain your equipment.  while the internet can be a temporal place, there are others who would ask you to share your knowledge and experience.  my grandfather often said that if you wanted to know something, ask a master craftsman...they're happy to share where as others pass along bs to cover up what they don't know or haven't learned.  

we ask only of you what we ask of ourselves...no bs, but honest answers; no bs, but a willingness to guide others, no ego, but challenge yourself to better your skills and knowledge.  not to be forgotten, we won't allow your thread to be highjacked, nor do we want posters to go too far afield from the topic as posted.  in addition, we prefer that threads hold complete project topic posts, rather than individual threads for each part of your project...as so often happens else where.

as i hope you read in earlier posts, threads of a technical nature stay forever...threads that are topical in nature will be locked for a time, then deleted.  what do i mean by topical?  if you announce an event without reporting back about anything of technical importance or some aspect worthy of aiding someone else, after the date of the event, that particular thread will be deleted.

one more thing, the live steam board isn't a tool for selling commercial products and services...contact henry for info for that sort of thing.  having said that, your depth of knowledge and experience may draw others to you.  if you suspect that you might be able to aid them in terms of hobbyist to hobbyist renumeration exchanges, please take it back-channel, not in an open forum.  we are about teaching and mentoring others so that the hobby stays strong with people who build and maintain.

that's a long-winded way of saying "Welcome to the Railfan Live Steam Board!"

moose der moderator

on Jan 28th, 2011, 7:48am, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi, I am MTCG16,but my name is Mark. While I am interested in all trains, my passions are for the Lehigh Valley and Miniature train company trains. Looking forward to seeing everyones pictures and listening to your stories. Thanks for letting me climb aboard!

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:45pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:42pm »

Got it Moose! If you would why not just Delete the thred as to not cause any more problems. I have been looking around the forum and have enjoyed the posts and pictures. I do go to our live steam club and enjoy talking with everyone about their trains and have even helped out on a few occations. I just hope to make friends and talk about trains, Don't want to be here to make anyone upset. I hope in the future there will be a forum about the stuff I really enjoy too. Thanks, Mark

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 6:23am »

hi mark,

my friend, you and your equipment aren't the problem...you are most welcome here!  your thread is technical in nature...you spent a lot of time and energy putting it all back together.  that's what we want to see.  while folks who buy and restore mtc equipment are few and far between, the coming posts of your experiences will be most valuable to those that come after you.  while a lot of the mtc equipment may 'bend rules for grand gauge', they still manufactured equipment that could be considered 'hobbyist gauge'.  and btw, not everything here is about steam locomotives...you have a home here if you still want it.  imho, when you start getting above 18" gauge, you are in another realm altogether.

what's harder for you is the ability to visit club and home tracks for meets.  are there meets at railroads for equipment like yours?  maybe, maybe not, but you could organize one if you wished to.  and do, by all means, join a club near you.  you'll find all aspects of the hobby from the work to the comraderie, to be fun and satisfying.

moose  

on Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:42pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Got it Moose! If you would why not just Delete the thred as to not cause any more problems. I have been looking around the forum and have enjoyed the posts and pictures. I do go to our live steam club and enjoy talking with everyone about their trains and have even helped out on a few occations. I just hope to make friends and talk about trains, Don't want to be here to make anyone upset. I hope in the future there will be a forum about the stuff I really enjoy too. Thanks, Mark

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:45am »

Moose, There is the fabulous ATT&NW railroad that hosts such events, It is 15 gauge. Alot of my friends who own G-16's have had them regauged to 15 inch so they can take their train places. Don't know if they will be doing such events since the owner, John Wood's, was killed in a motorcycle accident, very sad. Jenny Vaughn did a post about the railroad in a thred called 15 gauge here, her Dad does work there. Another such railroad was built by Ken Coates and his son's(12 Gauge) and although Ken passed away too, his wife and sons open the railroad up for people to bring their 12 gauge equipment. 7 and 1/4 is more common for sure and there are many clubs, but I would like to see more clubs with gauges of all sizes so no one feels left out. Thanks for the kind words and I will stick around, like I said, any train is a good train and I love learning, listening, and seeing them all, no matter what size. Have a great day!

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »