Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 7:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!  (Read 1845 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

with all the new folks stopping in, this thread should see a lot of use!  if you are browsing the live steam board, stop in here and say hello.  if you're joining in all the fun, let us know who you are and what your interests are!  at times, it's hard to engage in a conversation when you don't know anything about the people on the board or they don't know you.  so....how about it?

moose the caboose

can anyone guess my area of interest?

boomerralph
Enthusiast
Re: New Member Introductions - Meet & Greet here!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 1:54pm »

Greetings all,

I have just joined the forum.  I am in St Augustine, Florida, and am a member of N.E. Fla Live Steamers.  I am currently building a 10 wheeler (part of the 10 wheel project up here) and have a 4-4-0 American in 7 1/2" scale.  I also have interests in 24" gauge...working with Regg Weller on his engine.  This looks like an interesting group, and I look foreward to corresponding with other group members

Ralph M. Reese
N.E. Fla Live Steamers
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 6:20pm »

hi all,

ralph:  welcome to the group!  we've met a time or two in the last couple years.  i've also had the pleasure of running into your brother at the hobby shop not too long ago...small world!

george - moose the caboose

on Oct 31st, 2008, 1:54pm, boomerralph wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greetings all,

I have just joined the forum.  I am in St Augustine, Florida, and am a member of N.E. Fla Live Steamers.  I am currently building a 10 wheeler (part of the 10 wheel project up here) and have a 4-4-0 American in 7 1/2" scale.  I also have interests in 24" gauge...working with Regg Weller on his engine.  This looks like an interesting group, and I look foreward to corresponding with other group members

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2008, 5:32am »

Hi

I just joined. I'm located in Elsingore, Denmark
I'm building 5" (to fit my garden), and I have started on 0-6-2 Meter Maid. Until the meter Maid is finished I run an ALCO look-alike electric.
I have been working with steam Rollers (1:1) for 30 years, and I'm the chairman of the Danish Steam Roller Club.

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2008, 7:21am »

Steen,

Good to have you here at railfan.net. You will find the folks here friendly with the willingness to help another live steamer/ride on scale enthusiast where they can. I certainly hope that you enjoy the many threads of information and accomplishments here.

Take care,

Bruce (erieatlantic7597)

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2008, 1:31pm »

hi all,

steen:  i second bruce's welcome!  nice to have you here and hope you find a second 'home' here!

moose

Southern_PS4
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 1:35am »

Greetings All,

I've been studying Bill Fitt's Southern PS4 book for nearly 20 years and stumbled onto this site and found Ray's tread on boiler making and thought I had died and gone to heaven!  Regretfully I haven't had the chance to work on a Loco but have been to a good many of the FLS meets over the last 10 years and probably rusted your equipment drooling on it.  I recognized our moderator, Bruce, immediately.  I look forward to, hopefully, making a small contribution to this site and learning a lot.

Jerry Honetor

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 8:21pm »

hi all,

jerry:  welcome to the live steam threads on railfan!  glad you found us.  please take time to peruse all of the threads found here.  a lot of questions can be answered before they are even asked!  if you haven't read the new members start here thread, now's a good time to do so.  we focus on guiding newcomers into the hobby and challenging each other to learn higher levels of skills.  this intro thread is a good place to give us an idea of where you are and where you want to head on your own journey in the hobby.  you'll find answers here that you won't find anywhere else.  you'll also find answers that you might not want to hear.  we don't bs anybody and we try to keep it honest in our endeavors.  i am frequently surprized at the extraordinary level of honest and true expertise that our friends in the 1-to-1 world pass on to us.  we may be mere shadows next to them, but railroading is railroading.  in the 1-to-1 world, you railroad or you get out of the business.  if you don't, someone will wind up dead.  since you've been in the hobby for a while, you've no doubt seen those whom you question whether or not you wish to share the rails with.  we do our best to create an atmosphere of learning, courtesy, honesty and respect.  self-centeredness isn't something we readily accept in ourselves or those we serve.  ya can't teach when yer showin' off!

live steam railroading isn't just about the cars, the locomotives, or the track.  it's about the whole thing...including the deep and abiding friendships you make.  a track without trains ain't nothing, a train without tracks ain't nothing, and a locomotive without a train is like a bisquit that's still doughy in the middle...she ain't done yet!  running a locomotive with a heavy train on a well thought out and maintained track with your live steam friends about you is absolute heaven.

btw...did i say welcome to the railfan live steam thread?!  get in and hang on, it's a ride you won't soon forget!

moose

4t-shay
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 1:36pm »

I have been in the 1-1/2 scale hobby for approximately 15+ years, and my wife is as big or bigger fan than I am.  We own 3 diesels that are on the rails now, and one 2-8-8-2 steamer being restored, I am building a 4 truck shay, and my wife is building a Little Engines American, and we have countless cars including a 25 ton crane and a bunk house.  We are members of several clubs, and spend most of our free time up in Oregon at Train Mountain RR Museum where we run Central Station.  We are highly involved in installing the signal system in the FTM expansion there based on our application in place at Central Station.  We have 6-1/2 acres of property in Northern California that we are also laying track on, and hope that within the next 3 to 5 years we can have run days at our place.  
Hope to see some of you at the triennel, or somewhere on a train during our travels!
Dale & Veronica

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2009, 10:34pm »

hi all,

hi 4t-shay!  glad you've found us!  our focus in this group is teaching, sharing and mentoring the newcomers to the hobby in a no-nonsense fashion.  we are always looking for craftsmen to share their knowledge and wisdom with us.  take some time (if you haven't already) and read through the existing threads and find a discipline that interests you.  we are less topical and more hands-on than most forums on the web.  as has been said before, topical threads for a specific live steam related event are welcomed, but will be deleted upon the end of the event.  technical threads about the building or maintaining equipment or railroad physical plant will be maintained for the edification and the 'ah-ha' moments they inspire.

nice to have another shay on the board!  as for tm, wonder place and i hope some day to visit.  met qb at one of the lcrr meets some years ago...nice live steam gentleman.  btw, that's another of our focus'...make folks aware of the brotherhood(add sisters to that as well) of live steam fellowship.  too often, folks get into the hobby by writing a cheque and forget to go any farther with their education.  too often, i've made repairs on new equipment because somebody thought that it didn't mean anything when they damaged something.  too often the underlying message is that if they could damage it, you didn't build it right.
we are working hard to change that dynamic.

welcome to the railfan live steam board!  now roll up your sleeves and get busy!!!

on Apr 15th, 2009, 1:36pm, 4t-shay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have been in the 1-1/2 scale hobby for approximately 15+ years, and my wife is as big or bigger fan than I am.  We own 3 diesels that are on the rails now, and one 2-8-8-2 steamer being restored, I am building a 4 truck shay, and my wife is building a Little Engines American, and we have countless cars including a 25 ton crane and a bunk house.  We are members of several clubs, and spend most of our free time up in Oregon at Train Mountain RR Museum where we run Central Station.  We are highly involved in installing the signal system in the FTM expansion there based on our application in place at Central Station.  We have 6-1/2 acres of property in Northern California that we are also laying track on, and hope that within the next 3 to 5 years we can have run days at our place.  
Hope to see some of you at the triennel, or somewhere on a train during our travels!
Dale & Veronica

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: May 31st, 2009, 5:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I'm Dick Morris and have lived in Anchorage, Alaska for the past 27 years. I've been in the hobby for about 37 years, somtimes active, sometimes not. I have an RRSC CP-173 that I finished (more or less) about 20 years ago. I'm finally getting some shop time again after about a 10 year hiatus spent remodeling a house.  

Current project is Central Pacific drover's caboose #51, an 1872 model that's right for my locomotive. Also in the thought/planning stages are a couple of circa 1890 passenger cars.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 31st, 2009, 5:56pm »

To the new folks that decided to jump in here at railfan.net and include themslves in the live steam/ride on scale forums, I'd like to say hello. As my good friend George T mentioned, there is a consious effort here in this web site, to not talk down to any body. As a dear old, and now departed friend and mentor once said to me when I was very young, "We all know something in this hobby, but none of us knows everything". This is how your moderators handle this forum. With that thought in mind. BTW, that mentor of mine was none other than John Cassady. Builder of the Possum Flats and Eastern, Orlando, Fl. Now only a memory.  
    Please, share with us your expieriences, and never be afraid to ask a question on this site. There is no stupid question. Most times, someone here has had the same question in their mind. And the answer was here some place in a thread.
   All of this being said, we will not tollerate any nasty comments, or name calling. Your moderators or the owner of the entire site will eliminate those kinds of posts promptly. There are built in systems here to contact posters off line if a real disgreement erupts.  

Thanks for being here,  

Bruce F. Raykiewicz
   one of your moderators

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #12 on: May 31st, 2009, 8:12pm »

hi all,

dick:  first, welcome to the railfan live steam board!  know that your posts have been noted else where and as bruce said, the old hands here focus on teaching and assisting newcomers with workable advice and successful techniques for creating equipment, physical plant and track-side projects.  your experience and wisdom are a joy for us!  other boards have choosen other areas of focus, but we try to get them started on the right foot as far as philosophy and techniques go.  very few places on the net can you find out what it takes to do trackwork.  we have folks from the 1-to-1 world stop in and give us their take, tips, and experiences.  you never know who will drop in next.

on the philosophical side, you are old enough in the hobby to understand the following.   how many meets have you been to where you wondered where all the live steamers went to?  for my tastes, too many people whip out the chequebook and buy their way in.  too many times i've seen people breakdown out on the line...once they were hauled off the line, they were forgotten.  after all, it's their problem, not the hobby's.  the chequebook operators aren't invested in the comradarie, nor the fellowship of pooling everbody's time, talents, and resources to put the guy back out on the line.  in short, they haven't spent the time building anything and don't understand the disappointment of having to pack it up and take it home without running it because they lacked the resources that they have at home. i, personally, re-wired 2 diesels so their operators could get back out on the track(i'm a 'tron-chaser by trade as pockets would say).  all it took was my time and tools.  why not?

why do i like the folks that post here?  because they are doers, hard workers, and care about one another.  if you haven't gone through the steamheaton thread and the 'unmeet 09' threads, you'll enjoy the story of 4 or 5 experienced live steamers that pitched in (without being asked) and got a brandy-new mike up and running.  you'll also take pride in the 15 or 20 live steamers that averted disaster by putting out a fire with a bucket brigade.  sorry, but i think a chequebook operater would have merely asked if someone had called the fire department...then proceeded on part of the railroad that wasn't burning.  that's the reason for my focus on mentoring...everybody else will have a better excuse.

about your projects....tell us more!  personally, i'm partially turned to cabooses.   your cp project sounds most interesting...what scale will it be built in?  the rrsc cp173 was supposed to be built in 1.5" scale, but due to the prototypes and the gauges they ran on, they are closer to 1.3 to 1.4.  everybody that i'll seen build equipment for them, builds to more modern car specs.  most of the cars built that way make the locos look like critters, not like the mainline locos they were for the time.

as i said before, welcome to the railfan live steam board!

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2009, 8:18pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 1:31am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

A few follow up comments. I haven't been very active in my local group, the Alaska Live Steamers, for a number of years. The combination of gutting and remodeling a house and staying close to home because of a wife with health problems has kept me away. However, I was pretty active for about 15 years and had some good teachers. It's been about 25 years ago, but one friend built a heavy Mike and claimed he only had about $300 invested mostly for things like the plumbing. Much of the machine work was done in night school at the high school when they still had a metal shop - several of the Live Steamers took advantage of a weekly shop class for several years. His frames were chain drilled and cut from plate, drivers cast from brass in the school shop (later replaced with drivers cut from 1" steel plate), cylinder block was a weldment, six wheel tender truck side frames were fabricated from 1/8" plate with all the details brazed in place. It also had a working power reverse and was one of the hardest working locomotives in the club for a number of years. He is a good examples to show that if someone wants a locomotive badly enough, he can have one. One lesson I learned was when I was spending too much time puzzling over how to make a part. His advice was, "Just do it." He was right.

I think the CP-173 is closer to 1/8 scale than you think. There were some adjustments made for the gauge, but I think the overall dimensions are fairly close. The RRSC version did use a number of design simplifications to make it easier to build. I have a set of the plans for the Disney version of the CP-173 and the RRSC has fewer details and simpler construction - but RRSC is probably a better design for operation. Using a circa 1872 detailed photo I was able to put some of the details back into it.

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2009, 2:31am by Dick_Morris » Logged
Norm Warfield
TRAINing

« Reply #14 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 6:26am »

Hi to all...  

A ride on railroader here, just signed on.  I am in 2-1/2" scale 36"narrow gauge, so I'm running on 7-1/2" track. I have scratch built an S.P. skinny gauge 2-8-0 w/tender and a caboose. Let me say up front that it's electric powered so that will be out in the open.

I do have a love for live steamers and hope they stay around, but it's just not for me. I needed something I could drive in and out of a closed van and store it as well as transport it.  A hot steam engine would be a little discomforting.

I run at the Cheasapeke & Allegheny Live Steamers ( C.A.L.S. ) track in Baltimore Md' and have found many friends there over the years. I am a retireed R.R. Engineer and it's good to still be running trains, even slightly smaller ones.

Norm'

Norm'

Member C.A.L.S.
Baltimore
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Aug 12th, 2009, 5:22pm »

hi all,

norm:  welcome to the  railfan live steam board!  glad to have someone in the larger scales.  ;D;D  there's a small handful of us here that either are, or are contemplating 2 1/2 in to 3 3/4 in scales.  most of us, though, are 1.5 in and 1.6 in scales.

now...let me add some cheer to your life.  we are a board of builders who are trying to pass on what we've learned.  no one can know everything, but just about everybody knows something.  what you will find here are folks answering questions without egos or b--s getting in the way.  unlike other boards, we get alot of 1-to-1 railroaders like yourself that bring their knowledge and insight to what our 'juniors' are asking about...that's mentoring as well.  when people see the work being done here, we want them to realize that with some common sense, some work on their skills, and be willing to listen to what they're being told, they will be successful on their project.

the people who are cheque-book modelers, but not builders, probably won't be happy here.  the same can be said of foamers....gerfs...folks who like trains, but not the hobby for the hobby or even the railroading aspect of the hobby.  looking through the threads, you won't find endless discussions of what-engine-had-what-rivot.  there are threads in other areas of the railfan site that do...please do, if you have a care in that area, enjoy yourself, that's what they are there for.  as our rules state, threads of technical merit stay, topical threads are removed after a short time.  if you have a current project or thinking of one in the not too distant future, feel free to start a builders' thread with a description of your project.  an i.m. to bruce r or myself, will help you get started if need be.  if you have a general question or comment, check through the existing threads for your catagory before starting a new one.  that keeps down the housekeeping that bruce and i have to do.

btw, there is a thread for the cals group available.  as a member of the group, you can request it be unlocked for the posting of the groups' projects.  you guys are very dynamic, so , yes we are interested in what you're doing!  you'll find some of us here have been members of one of the premier public tracks in florida.  we know cattle trains...we know trains can go around in grand loops...but we don't know what projects other groups are doing.

as you've seen in earlier posts, we don't put up with insults and flames...they're removed from the board as fast as we (bruce and myself) get to them.  henry, the chief moderator and owner of the board, was gracious enough to allow us some space on his board to practice what we've been preaching for years...that live steamers are courteous and giving beyond the fray.  we were taught our hobby by gentlemen, so we pass it on in the same way.  if you stumble into a problem, remember to let us know about it.

aside from the above, we hope that you find a home here and enjoy what we are doing...just as we hope to enjoy watching your projects.

again, welcome to the railfan live steam board!

moose

on Aug 11th, 2009, 6:26am, Norm Warfield wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi to all...  

A ride on railroader here, just signed on.  I am in 2-1/2" scale 36"narrow gauge, so I'm running on 7-1/2" track. I have scratch built an S.P. skinny gauge 2-8-0 w/tender and a caboose. Let me say up front that it's electric powered so that will be out in the open.

I do have a love for live steamers and hope they stay around, but it's just not for me. I needed something I could drive in and out of a closed van and store it as well as transport it.  A hot steam engine would be a little discomforting.

I run at the Cheasapeke & Allegheny Live Steamers ( C.A.L.S. ) track in Baltimore Md' and have found many friends there over the years. I am a retireed R.R. Engineer and it's good to still be running trains, even slightly smaller ones.

Norm'

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009, 5:23pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

Marty_Knox
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20th, 2009, 10:41am »

Hi All - I have finally joined up, after being aware of this forum for several years. My name is Marty Knox, I live in Freeland, Michigan, which is between Saginaw and Midland. I'm a boilermaker and retired from the Huckleberry RR  2 1/2 years ago. I am currently building one of Tom Artzberger's 2 1/2" scale RGS 20s. I have built a number of other live steam locomotives, the latest is SR&CL #10. There are pictures of it in the thread on the Sandy Ridge. I also have a 1.6" scale FP45 that is a true diesel, powered by a 3 cylinder Kubota. I ran it for the first time at the Northeast Ohio 40th anniversarry meet. Like most live steamers I have way too many projects, which take a back seat to building boilers for others. I do this under the banner of Ridge Locomotive Works.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20th, 2009, 2:47pm »

hi all,

marty:  welcome aboard!  glad you became a member here!  we are always looking for craft masters to teach and answer questions.  as you have no doubt observed, our focus is teaching no-nonsense building and operating techniques to guys just getting a start in the hobby.  while other threads focus on the intermediate and advanced live steamers, miniature rivot counters and such, we try to find processes that allow newbies to be successful in their first attempts.  ya gotta crawl before you can walk.  i like to think that we allow first steps to be taken in an encouraging atmosphere.  that's why we try to keep this a 'no ego' zone.

if you have a new project that you feel will illustrate and educate, please do start a thread for it.  one of the things we ask about projects is that the complete project (locomotive, railcar, structure, etc), what ever it may be, be posted in that thread.  'name it and claim it'!  we discourage thread hijacking for merely conversational purposes.  you'll see us step in and re-steer the thread back to the topic at hand and to the project owner.  and as we've said before, threads of technical merit stay on the board, topical event threads will be removed at the appropriate time.  

to all:  having said all that, this is like no other board on the internet.  we'd like to think that we have a stake even if it's a small stake in returning the idea of  live steam mentoring, courtesy, and comraderie.  have you ever been to a meet and nobody spoke to you?  if you don't have one of the latest-n-greatest toys on the block, everybody was only interested in themselves.  if your'e a newbie, it's intimidating.  wanna see what comraderie can do?  go back and read the 'umeet 09' and steamheaton's threads.  a mike that needed days of individual work was taken in-hand by a very capable group of live steamers and brought to life in a few hours time.  awe inspiring!   those guys didn't have to do it and btw, they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer...that engine was going to steam come hell or high water!

marty:  it's a long-winded way to say 'WELCOME'!

moose

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 7:47pm »

on Sep 20th, 2009, 2:47pm, moose_the_caboose wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Have you ever been to a meet and nobody spoke to you?  if you don't have one of the latest-n-greatest toys on the block, everybody was only interested in themselves.  

moose

I am new to this forum, and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I was the last East Coast Secretary for the IBLS, and I attended meets where I could not even get anyone to tell me where to park to unload my locomotive. Needless to say my wife and I did NOT park....we turned around and went home.

I have been in this hobby since 1961 and some clubs are full of wonderful helpful people....and some are only in the hobby as a way to show off to their friends. When anyone attends one of their clubs meets, and they see a new face....walk over and say hello. Everybody is helped when a little kindness will bring new folks into the hobby.
Keith

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2010, 7:48pm by LVRR2095 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:32pm »

hi keith,

glad to have you aboard!  do spend some time floating through all the threads...and we hope that you find what interests you enough to call it 'home'!  as you've no doubt gleaned from many of the posts on this board, we're about helping people.  honest and truthful mentoring...the hallmark of the best craftsmen to be found.  

to be sure, there are some superb technicians out in the world, but if you're not passing your knowledge on to others, what next  if you've any questions, you can send an im or email to bruce r or myself.  we're only too happy to talk to you.  

again, welcome to the railfan live steam board!

moose

on Jan 19th, 2010, 7:47pm, LVRR2095 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I am new to this forum, and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I was the last East Coast Secretary for the IBLS, and I attended meets where I could not even get anyone to tell me where to park to unload my locomotive. Needless to say my wife and I did NOT park....we turned around and went home.

I have been in this hobby since 1961 and some clubs are full of wonderful helpful people....and some are only in the hobby as a way to show off to their friends. When anyone attends one of their clubs meets, and they see a new face....walk over and say hello. Everybody is helped when a little kindness will bring new folks into the hobby.
Keith

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »