Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 8:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allen 10-Wheeler
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Allen 10-Wheeler
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allen 10-Wheeler  (Read 7080 times)
BobbyT
Former Member
Re: Allen 10-Wheeler

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 7:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Awesome photo's. I think that is one aspect of the hobby most people forget to show. People actually machining the parts. It is great you guys are making progress.

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #41 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 11:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Another work weekend has come and gone, but this time with a special twist.  We not only celebrated Bruce the Larger's birthday (and yes I am in a little bit of trouble because I was the one who made sure everyone knew about this momentous occasion- LOL), but had a most esteemed visit from none other than Moose the Caboose.  It was wonderful having the opportunity to work alongside such an accomplished builder as well as building a friendship.  I enjoyed hearing stories from him and asked for a few pointers as well (which just may lead to another thread!).

Again we had most of the machines running and were frequently experiencing brown-outs due the current draws we placed on the electrical system.  Chips were flying everywhere.

This hobby is teaching me so much and it is with great people like Moose and Bruce the larger (and the rest of our ten wheeler steam team) who share their knowledge so freely.  My dream of BUILDING, owning, and operating a steam locomotive is coming true to these great people, I can't thank them enough.  Additionally, my oldest son has been welcomed in our group with open arms - it's quite a site to see him working alongside all involved.

Can't wait for another visit by Moose.  I will be posting photos from the weekend's action soon.  Take care and happy steaming!

Don

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #42 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 12:29pm »

Don, I am so happy for your group and this opportunity, not only to build some great loco's, but also the building of a network of life-long friendships.  

I am envious of your group. Maybe I need to convince our boys to do a build project once the track work is done........... IF the track work gets done.  

Now, where are the pictures?

PS: Happy Birthday Bruce, you old fart.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009, 12:29pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Steam_Team_8-26-09_007_1.jpg - 64758 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 2:48pm »

As promised (sorry for the delay Bobby), here are some photos from this past weekend.  Here is Mr. Moose manipulating parts on the mill.  He is working on pedestal binders.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Steam_Team_8-26-09_007_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Bruce_Cake.jpg - 47067 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 2:53pm »

Me delivering the surprise birthday cake to Bruce.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Bruce_Cake.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Lunch_Bunch_Photo.jpg - 80552 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 2:57pm »

A shot of Charlie S., member emeritus of the Steam Team, Bruce the Larger, Ralph R., and Moose sitting down for a bite to eat.  We actually do go outside on occasion.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Lunch_Bunch_Photo.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Steam_Team_8-26-09_003.jpg - 70251 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 3:01pm »

Here is a photo of my son with his the machinst measuring set gift from the Steam Team.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Steam_Team_8-26-09_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #47 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 4:42pm »

Your son is a very lucky young man. That is in keeping with the time honored traditions of this hobby, to nurturer young minds.  

Thats a nice measuring set too. Looks like he will have a lot of opportunities to use them.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 7:52pm »

hi all,

well, i've made it home....sitting here basking in the afterglow of time well spent.  just as the bcrr has become my favorite track in florida, the steam team proved that they too, adhere to the formula that the bcrr works from...working hard together, sharing knowledge, and enjoying comraderie is the glue that binds us in lifelong friendships.  to the steam team, thank you for allowing me to join in your activities...and i will be back!  i had a blast!

also important, thank you, shirley, for treating me like family and an honored guest.  i'm ever your humble servant.

now...something i've wanted to show the rest of you!   bruce t's birhday!

a closer view of the cake...

the steam team didn't know (for the most part) bruce's age, but shirley, on the other hand....

and no, my good friend bruce t isn't over-the-the-hill yet....he managed to get all the candles out.

it's a lucky man, who can share one of life's events with his friends at his side.  may you be blessed with long life, so we can celibrate many more to come.

don g:  watch out!  bruce promises a revenge birthday party for you!  thanks for the forth-thought!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 8:17pm »

hi all,

a little birdie told me a little about donald g.   i must say, during my visit, i was impressed by this young man by his willingness to learn and perform the tasks given to him without a complaint and with great patience.  not something folks his age are noted for.  his enthusiam kept everybody bouyant and on-task.  he is and i hope, continues to be one of the newest generation of live steam hobbyist that will truly carry on the traditions.  in the future, when this young steamer speaks, people will listen.  and bruce r....he wants to visit the bcrr again!

of the pictures i took, this has to be my favorite.  donald is working on parts...confident and sure in his tasks, his live steam journey has begun.  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 9:01pm »

Guys,

Its a real treat seeing all of you in these pics. Thanks George for posting them. BTW, is that Pivo North that I saw in that one pic.  heh,heh,heh.
I sure hope Donald knows that he is welcome any time. And, the older guys can accompany him too. Its great to see him so involved.

BTW, Bruce, I'm sure glad you did'nt blow that nice B-Day cake right off the stool. Muhahahah.

Bruce the Smaller

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #51 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 11:27pm »

Six candles? Oh I get it, one for each decade!  

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Steam_Team_8-23-09_005.jpg - 45265 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Aug 24th, 2009, 12:59pm »

Another week has come and gone and more parts are being made.  I was not able to attend, but that didn't keep the youngest member of the Steam Team from getting there.  This week, it was figured that Donald assisted on 120 parts or so.  Here is a picture of him under the tutelage of Ralph on the mill.  From all accounts, Donald had a great time, while the older members were busy deburring all of the parts he machined.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Steam_Team_8-23-09_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Steam_Team_8-23-09_004.jpg - 46245 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: Aug 24th, 2009, 1:04pm »

One more item of note (besides the prgoress and fellowship enjoyed)happened this past weekend as well, we celebrated yet another surprise birthday, this time all eyes were on Donald.  To hear of the stories from the gang made me wish that I was able to attend.  Here is a photo of Bruce and Donald moments after the surprise was revealed.

Stay tuned for further updates.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Steam_Team_8-23-09_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #54 on: Aug 24th, 2009, 1:15pm »

Happy Birthday Donald.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #55 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 12:40pm »

Happy Birthday Donald,  It looks like you got a nice surprise.  Keep those old geezer in-line and awake!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
bteerlin
Railfan
  Drivers1_1632x1224-2_408x306.jpg - 27200 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 8:10am »

WOW, I guess we have been sorta of lacks in updating this thread.  The group is still going strong, we did not make as much progress over the last year but we did on our second annivesary of the project pass a great milestone.  All drivers are machined awaiting keyways and crank pins.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Drivers1_1632x1224-2_408x306.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 2:29pm »

BTL,
Sixty drivers is a fair piece of whitlin' and a substantial milestone. Henry Ford would have been proud  

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
bteerlin
Railfan

« Reply #58 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 5:13pm »

Thanks Greg --  You should see all the chips they made.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #59 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 6:31pm »

That sir, is impressive!  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »