Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 4:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allen 10-Wheeler
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Allen 10-Wheeler
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  9 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allen 10-Wheeler  (Read 7099 times)
Pennsy4483
Railfan
Allen 10-Wheeler

« on: Feb 29th, 2008, 3:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey again,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally decided on a locomotive and just received my drawings from Gene Allen.  I chose an Allen 10-Wheeler after much discussion with several experienced live steamers.  Additionally, Lutz Braun let me run his 10-Wheeler and that was the icing on the cake for my decision.

This weekend I will start the process of reviewing the plans and possibly starting to modify them to my desire.  I plan on back-dating the loco a bit to catch the flavor of a CP-173.  Likely, no work will be done until April or May as I am moving next month into our new home.

I hope no one will mind questions or ramblings of a novice builder.  Once I get the ball rolling, I will be sure to keep everyone informed.  Again this is my first attempt at building a live steam locomotive and I hope I can perservere throught this endeavor.

Wish me luck!

Don

B+MNW21201
Former Member
Re: Allen 10-Wheeler

« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 5:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Don, congrats and good luck! I have seen a few Allen 10 wheelers and they all were good engines. Be sure to give us a running account of the build process. I think that would make for an interesting thread.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 9:58pm »

Good news Don. I cerainly hope its going to be a coal burner. hint,hint!

Please keep us posted on your progress. And you are very lucky to be involved in a group that has so much expierience. That will come in handy as you get deeper into the ten wheeler project.

good luck,

bruce

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:53pm »

I appreciate all of the comments and well wishers of luck.  Luck is something I will need on my first build.  By the way, loved the photos on the 2008 Un-Meet.  Bruce, I hope to make it down there sometime to see the BC.  Thanks again,

Don

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 7:35pm »

Greetings,

Well today is the official start date of the project(s) of Allen 10-wheelers.  Jeff Dute, Bruce Teerlink, Tom Markham, Scott Long, and I (Don Grigg) met and discussed the construction project that I have been so eagerly waiting for.  As of now, it looks like we will be building a minimum of 7 locomotives.  Mine (Tomís and possibly others) will have American Drivers to give it a little more back-date flavor.

Funds have been committed, as well as time, sweat, blood and maybe some tears.  I should have  photograph of the meeting participants shortly.  It will be an exciting ride while it lasts.  We all hope that it will invigorate the North Florida track with much awaited steam power.  

Details to follow and hold on, for Jeff says it going to be a rollercoaster ride.  Hope all is going well for everyone.  Take care,

Don

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:46pm »

Holy mackeral, that is one energetic goal. Thats for sure. But in that list of names, there are some PRETTY good and practicle live steamers that I know personally. With all of that knowledge working together, things should progress nicely.  

Bruce

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  10_wheel_lift_off_007_1.jpg - 199552 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 2:51pm »

As promised, here is the photo of the meeting held yesterday.  Now the fun begins.  From left to right, Jeff Dute, Bruce Teerlink, Scott Long, Don Grigg, Tom Markham, and Richard Long.  All but Richard are team members and will be participating.  The meeting was held at the Long's home and railroad.  

Castings will be ordered, as well as steel and who knows what else.  Jeff will be handling the ordering and assigning maching roles.  It will sure be a learning experience for me.  It will be quite a site to see the progress as well as 7+ locomotives coming together.

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/10_wheel_lift_off_007_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Steam_Team_81708_008.jpg - 110310 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 9:50am »

Well, initial progress has been a little slow, but we expect things to really heat up in the near future.  We also have had one additional member from the north track join the project.  Number of engines to be constructed is now estimated to be ten.

This past weekend, the first set of cylinders are ready for boring.  Here is a photo of them awaiting further work.  Enjoy!

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Steam_Team_81708_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

macten.jpg - 62014 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 3:46pm »

Great that you are building an Steamer expesially an Allen. Here's a pic of an Allen 10-Wheeler. Good long

Brett

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/macten.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 9:36pm »

Don,

Thanks so much for keeping us here at railfan.net updated on the progress of this very energetic endeavor. Please keep the pics flowing. This should prove interesting to the real live steamers that frequent this forum.

Say "hey" to the north guys for me.

Take care, and wishing you guys good progress,

Bruce

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

walbash.jpg - 35813 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 8:44pm »

Here's another pic of an Allen Model 10 Wheeler at the club.

Brett

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/walbash.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:15pm »

Greetings again from the North Florida bunch!  Well this past weekend several accomplishments were made, including all frame spreaders are complete, axles were cut, and several pins were made.  During the festivities, none other than Mr. Gene Allen called to discuss shipment of the cylinders and drivers.  Things sure are getting exciting!  Hope all is going well.  The next couple of weeks we are sure to be swimming in steel and castings.  Happy steaming!

Don

superberky1204
TRAINing
  DSC01864.jpg - 155043 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Sep 9th, 2008, 10:21pm »

Hey guys, sounds like a great project. Bruce, way north!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/DSC01864.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dave_J
Enthusiast

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 7:23pm »

We will have to schedule a 10 Wheeler meet in Florida!  

Dave J.

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 3:08pm »

Thanks for all the support.  This weekend should prove to be a busy one.  The drivers have been received from Gene Allen and cylinders should not be too far behind.

Great leaps are being made with 6 people working on this project.  Frames are done being cut and are enroute to the Dute Locomotive Works.  This project has already taught me so much about machining and the basics required to build a locomotive.  I must say though that the fellowship and camaraderie that is occurring within the project group is astonishing and one of the best side effect of the project.  There are no deadlines nor do we want any; we all are working together for the group and the project.  Some do more than others, though we are all giving what we have to offer.

I look forward to the coming months/years and hope that this is only the first project of many for the project team.  Jeff has been quite the leader in directing us.  His knowledge and his desire to share his knowledge go a long way to keep this hobby going strong in the future.

Don

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 11:56am »

Well, another weekend has come and gone and more progress has been made on our 10-wheelers.  As usual, we met at the Dute Locmotive Works on Sunday to work solely on the project.  At one point we had a mill, lathe, drill press, and band saw all running at the same time.  Chips were flying and parts were being made.

A new addition to the work crew consisted of my oldest son.  He cam along and turned into (no pun intended) quite the apprentice on the lathe.  He and I worked on facing the driver axels and getting them to length.  Last count, I think we had about 22 done.  My son has shown an unbelievable interest (in the project) since he was given the opportunity to pull the throttle for a while.  

This week was monumental for me as well as I now have some homework.  I have 20 cross-head pins to make for the locos.  This will be the first time for acutally creating parts on my own for the project.  Wish me luck!  I hope Jeff accounted for some "learinng experiences" in the length of stock that I was given.

Take care,

Don

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 9:16pm »

Don,

Believe me when I say this, I really admire you guys for takeing on such a monumental project. But with that group, I know that only good things will turn out.  

I hope when some of these machines are ready to run, a side trip to the wilds of SW Florida is in the plan.  

Bruce

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Drivers.jpg - 168714 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 1:13pm »

Hey there again!

Last week proved to be another week with progress made on our project.  Work continued on the axels, frame spreaders, and the cutting of miscellaneous stock for pieces parts.  I finally got some homework to do, this will be my first solo task, so we'll see how it goes.  I am making the cross head pins for all of the locos.  I have included a couple of pictures to show everyone what happens when you agree to build 10 locomotives.  Keep up the great posts elsewhere on the forum.  Thanks again,

Don

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Drivers.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  Links.jpg - 132633 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 1:14pm »

Here is a photo of the Stephenson links.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Links.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 7:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Did you guys get a voulme discount on those drivers?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  9 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »