Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6039 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
  HPIM1338.jpg - 105283 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Apr 27th, 2009, 10:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Tom,

Since most of us in this hobby are scroungers, some kind of decent wood treatment is always needed. What I found works rather well is a plain old fence post treatment from Home Depot. Since SW Florida is still fairly rurual inland away from the coast, this stuff is readily available. I would think its available at most building supply houses.

As you know, and most of the rest of us know, even treated wood is "opened up" when we cut it for ties. And todays lighter form of treatment is no help at all.  

What I;ve done both at the BCRR and LCRR, is pour about two gallons of the fence post solution into a five gallon bucket, and stand the cut ties on thier end for about an hour and a half, then turn them over and let the ties stand this way for another hour and a half. The fence post treatment really soakes into the wood fiber, wicking its way throught the tie. Most times, we use three to four five gallon buckets at a time.  Then we stack the ties so that the excess solution drips down onto the already stacked ties, causing even more of the treatment to soak into the wood.
(years ago, we used copper napthanate at the LCRR, but I think thats not available any longer)  

I can't even tell you how many ties that I and my friends have done in this manor. Both at the Largo Central and at the Buckingham Central.
Believe me, it works.

The dark ties piled up on either side of the lighter ones are the ties that we treated our selves. These were used in and going to the roundhouse. The heavyier, factory treated ones were used on Pivo 2.

Hope this little bit of info helps,

Bruce

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1338.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2009, 10:45pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #81 on: May 1st, 2009, 10:04am »

Bruce,
Thanks for the very worthwhile response.

After an exhaustive search, I have finally located the flatcar parts that I had started three moves ago. Hopefully, my gypsy days are behind me! I have been working on the flat for the last two days (Film at eleven) and am making reasonable progress.

Tom C,
I've started to mess with the draft gear and have a couple of questions:
   1. The print shows a small bar, called a connector. What does it connect?
   2. What do you reccomend for the springs?
   3. This one is for George, because I haven't gotten that far and the prints don't call it out... What is the coupler center height on the finished car?  

Johnny K's flat seems to be one of the baselines, in 3-3/4" scale, so the Clam lake is using it to establish some standards and practices for internal use; coupler height, deck height etc. Any lessons you have learned or changes you have made, from using these cars, would be most enlightening to us.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

coupler_and_spring_assy.jpg - 42445 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: May 1st, 2009, 10:58pm »

Greg,

They go on top and bottom of the draft gear stops.  They form a box that holds the spring assy.  The spring assy is shown here with the tabs that the stops go against and the straps are across both these tabs.  I don't have a picture of it yet.  More latter.

Tom C.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/coupler_and_spring_assy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #83 on: May 1st, 2009, 11:28pm »

Greg , nice to see progress  on the Clam Lake.   As for the welding it comes back pretty quick.  What type of ballst is readily available  up your way ? Ray III

pockets
Historian

« Reply #84 on: May 2nd, 2009, 7:54am »

Tom C,
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation and the pic. What variety of Chebbie valve spring is that? Big or little?

Ray,
I believe it's limestone. Portland Cement used to have a big plant here, and that's what you cook to make cement. Yeah, the welding is coming back. Not there, yet, but at least I don't barf when I look at a bead!  All I've got is the big ESAB. I miss my old Lincoln stick and I, eventually, want to get into tig. It's so much more flexible and nicer for small stuff.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #85 on: May 2nd, 2009, 9:08am »

hi all,

tom:  the reason for the coupler height dimension is that i'll soon be building equipment in your scale.  for now, as soon as ray's ic cab is on its way, i'll start modifying this P.O.S. (personnel - oversized-chair system) to a work-flat.  it's been sitting around for years and needs to be doing something useful.

this particular car was 'built' on the original frame of the brown tram engine that i used to run at largo...bruce r may remember it.  i became sooo disheartened with b&s engines that i went electric, as evidenced by the blue welder in the background.

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #86 on: May 2nd, 2009, 5:17pm »

George,
Y'otta post the pic of the green car, so the gang can see where your headed with this one.

Glad to see you found a place to hide the welder I thought it was headed south, to hide in the roundhouse....

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #87 on: May 2nd, 2009, 9:34pm »

hi all,

it's been a busy day...and evening!  spent the late afternoon visiting with friends watching the kaintuck derby.  my horses, 'general confusion' and 'tuckers' trucker' forgot how to get to the track.  i guess that's what you get for claiming horses down by the railroad tracks.  when i was told the 'track's muddy', i thought what a great day for train watching!  well, maybe bettin' the ponies ain't for me.

okay, enough of that sillyness...on to pocket's  request.   you saw the pics i posted earlier

on May 2nd, 2009, 5:17pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George,
Y'otta post the pic of the green car, so the gang can see where your headed with this one.

Glad to see you found a place to hide the welder I thought it was headed south, to hide in the roundhouse....

Greg B.

i'm hoping to create something like this...

and hopefully not like this....

btw, speaking of the blue welder, i started the awakening process today...the batteries are alive and there's a 'snap' from the controller...a good sign!  the cooling fans and brakes are also alive...that too, is a good thing.  having to go through the throttle pot and comfirm the throttle-control outputs.  after that, she should roll!

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #88 on: May 2nd, 2009, 10:19pm »

THAT transformation will be a fair piece of prestidigitation!

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #89 on: May 7th, 2009, 5:25pm »

hi all,

pockets:  if i had it, i would at least try it!

moose

on May 2nd, 2009, 10:19pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
THAT transformation will be a fair piece of prestidigitation!

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #90 on: May 7th, 2009, 8:43pm »

Got out to the metals recycler, today. Grabbed an assortment of this & that and some springs, with different ppi ratings, for the flat's draft gear. I'm thinking that I have to hit a balance between adequate shock absorption and too long travel, resulting in the appearance of a cushion underframe....

Going to the welding store, tomorrow, and then it's back to work.

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #91 on: May 8th, 2009, 8:31am »

on May 2nd, 2009, 7:54am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tom C,
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation and the pic. What variety of Chebbie valve spring is that? Big or little?Greg B.

Greg,  BIG

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #92 on: May 8th, 2009, 9:08pm »

Thanks, Tom,
Big Block Chevy.... I see you use the inner and outer springs. (Fortunately, I have some) I'm beginning to get a better feel for the dynamics involved. I'm guessing that the completed car will crowd 350 lb and you have stated that they will handle 1000 lb.

I'm using the steel RMI couplers, so I'm pondering the omission of that center tongue, in the draft gear. Thoughts?

If I can get the broken vehicle out of the shop, I may have some photographical progress tomorrow or Sunday. Also have to make time to build a rail drilling jig..... The fun never ends!

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #93 on: May 8th, 2009, 11:54pm »

on May 8th, 2009, 9:08pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks, Tom, I'm using the steel RMI couplers, so I'm pondering the omission of that center tongue, in the draft gear. Thoughts? Greg B.

Greg,  I am not an engineer nor play one on TV so can't say what will happen if you leave that out.  I guess try it and see is my best idea.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #94 on: May 11th, 2009, 5:24pm »

Broken vehicle out, train stuff in.....

The first two pics show a trial assembly of the parts, to this stage. So far, so good.

My thanks to Iron Horse, for the last pic. This shows, approximately, where we are headed. It is a "modeler's licensed" version of early Minor draft gear.

Greg B.

C-ville_man
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: May 11th, 2009, 6:44pm »

Hi Gerg,
   I'm glad you included the last picture. I was wondering how you were going to center the coupling. great work. Keep us informed.
   Bill

BILL
pockets
Historian

« Reply #96 on: May 11th, 2009, 11:13pm »

Bill,
Thanks for the kind words.

For scale, the vice jaws are 4" wide. You will notice some changes from Tom C's version. These were not intended as "improvements". Just different routes to the same destination. We both work from the same plans! That's a Big Block Chevy valve spring, for the hot rodders amongst us (there are at least two).

The socket head bolt was "handy, not permanent....

Greg B.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #97 on: May 12th, 2009, 11:12am »

Make that at least three.

At first I thought it might be a safety valve spring. I used to rebuild steam, air and liquid safety valves years ago as my day job. Around the same time I also built some Rat and Mouse motors for some old Chebbies and even a 302 Ford for a friend's truck. I still have my '55 Shoebox Chev named Aunt Bea, but she's in pieces at the moment. I'm thinking 572 Rat for her this time around

Henry

pockets
Historian

« Reply #98 on: May 12th, 2009, 1:33pm »

Henry,
Thanks for the response. My daily driver is a '68 Ford F100 w/a 390. Found it in a field, in Alabama. I've been slowly undoing what passed for forty years of repairs, down there.

I had a '34 Ford BB-131, with a warmed over 350 and my very first car was a '30 Model A coupe powered by a 283 w/3 Stromberg leakers. The one I really miss is the 64 Galaxy, 4dr hardtop. A truely great cruiser.

That 572 ought to git-r-done!

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #99 on: May 13th, 2009, 9:48am »

Ya know, Bruce R. and I were talking, last night..... In and of itself, a dangerous undertaking. I don't remember who broached the subject, but it was mentioned how many people don't build anything because they think it takes a fully equiped shop. Yes, I have a decent shop and it's slowly getting better. However, the flatcar project has left a lot of tools just collecting dust and it could be built with fewer tools than I used.

If one purchased wheelsets and journal boxes pre-machined, about all that is really needed is a table saw, hacksaw,angle grinder, drill press and an assortment of hand tools and access to a welder. A healthy dose of desire and the ability to admit a mistake are also needed. Skills are developed by need and tool usage.  

Many people have no clue of the versatility of the basic drill press. It takes time on the machine, doing set ups and making parts to get an appreciation for this marvel. If I was limited to one machine, in my shop, it would be the often disparaged drill press.

That draft gear, above, is so simple and could be built in ANY scale. It is a distinct "step up" from the 1/4-20 carriage bolt, stuffed through a rectangular tube. No offence, to anyone, intended.

Just food for thought.

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »