Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 4:50pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6036 times)
BobbyT
Former Member
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #60 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 7:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

And so it begins..............

Congrats Greg.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #61 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 9:43am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Greg,

Tell me more.  What size and length?  Is it reallly steel or is that a nickname?  Did you get joint bars or will u have to make your own?  If I wasn't 8 hrs away, I would drop in and see myself.  Keep the flat side down!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 11:58am »

Thanks, Bobby.

Tom,
Yes, it's real steel. It is the standard live steamer's 1" high rail and scales out to about 30lb. rail. That's pretty close to where the Clam Lake needs to be. I recieved 220'. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in that first hundred feet of track is 30' of retaining wall, about twenty cubic yards of fill, a bridge and a switch. Lots to do! For me, the hobby isn't so much about the destination. It's more about the journey.

I have about a hundred feet of aluminum rail floating around here. It will be used for bridge guard rails and temporary shoo-flys. Not for permanent running rail.

No, on the joint bars. I've heard good things about the HO slide on type rail joiners. I have a few, to experiment with, but will drill the rail for fish plates, just in case. Although I don't intend to build anything that weighs more than an 1-1/2" Northern (Big one), I will be on fewer wheels and that changes axle loading and, thus, the dynamics in all planes are altered.

Tom, if you weren't eight hours away, I'd put a shovel in your hands!  

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2009, 2:10pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 7:09pm »

Some views and a little more progress. First pic is looking east, past the garden. The track will run in the grassy part and that little tree has to go.

Last smowfall. Looking east, toward Fairoak (the Clam Lake's answer to Pevo Patio).

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2009, 7:25pm by pockets » Logged

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 7:21pm »

Section foreman John Boden at work clearing ROW, out on the east end.

Initially, the ROW is nothing but a road to facilitate construction.

the result of a few hours work. The road bed curves to the left and runs down hill, at the far end. This whole section needs to come up about 18". It ends at the site of a future bridge. The driveway grade crossing will be right behind the camera.

Bless lazy sons! Yesterday, John scrounged some scrap metal (and hit my stock to fill in the gaps) and knocked out that rough looking, but great working, back blade. George, my thanks again to your dad for the deere.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 11:40am »

Lest anyone think this thread is an ego trip, believe me when I say that you are in error. I view it as a necessary drain, on my time, as a way to help others in the persuit of this life style. I owe so much to the people in this hobby and this is a feeble attempt to give something back.

It is not my intent to show just the sucesses. Each error in judgement and bad idea will be chronicaled. Many times it is as important to know what doesn't work, as what does. Many who pass through here are new to the hobby and have never seen a railroad built. This is, primarily, for them. Also on this board, are several threads covering the beautiful Buckingham Central, an excellent example of an evolving, mature railroad. On the Clam Lake, within it's roughly 1000' mainline length, there will be five bridges, one trestle and a couple of stone culverts. There are several retaining walls and a dam to be built. Not to mention the trackage and support facilities. Insofar as operation will allow, these will all be built to 3" - 4" scales, depending on application.

This thread isn't intended to be one sided. I will be leaning, heavily, on friends, old and new, for guidance and input. Suggestions, solutions and ideas are solicited and will, hopefully, be wrung out here.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 8:40pm »

hi all,

greg:  step !, ya got the pictures in!  now  i can see part of my 'nawthern' home away from home!   believe me when i tell you that i'm very proud of what you've accomplished so far.  equally proud that the little 'deere' is pulling its weight.  it doesn't matter how much trackage is on the ground, but how to turn a dream into reality.  too many times, it's just about the trackage rather than the local and the journey.  in the future, i hope that i'm privileged enough to be a part of that dream.  i know its been a dream of yours for a long time.  with care and hard work, it will all too soon be real.

congrats my friend!   now if only the ground would dry out a little more....

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 7:34pm »

Wonderful, wonderful pictures. I'm sure glad to see where this is all going. Or at least where some of the ROW is going. heh,heh,heh. Shame that cute little tree has to go! No way to save it?? BTW, I like the look of the trees on the property. And I think I know someone else that would really like the trees too. Greg, you know who I mean!!!

Thanks for the pictorial update. Its great!.

Your friend, Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 9:29pm »

Thanks for the good wishes, guys.  

George,
You are well aware that this road is as much yours as mine. Just wish I could share the earth moving with you!

Bruce,
When I called that tree little, it was in relation to the ones around it. Those other Pines run 30' - 50' tall. That little one is 7' and SWMBO wants it transplanted. Oh, my achin' back!

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 4:27pm »

A little update: I finally found a local sawmill, so John & I took a ride, this morning. They had 3" x 6" x 4'(full dimension, rough sawn) White Oak and Ash timbers for a reasonable (?) price, so we bought a few to play with. I spent a pleasant afternoon turning them into ties . The finished product measures 2" x 3" x 22-1/2". I ended up with 54 of them, about enough for 20' of track. For those who may care, this works out to about $1.21 per tie.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2009, 10:23pm by pockets » Logged

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 8:18pm »

Ah, so glad to see you making so much saw dust. That means trackage is not far behind. Good find on the lumber.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 8:53pm »

hi all,

bruce:  ain't it nice!  keep watchin', it's gonna grow...shortly!  

the clam lake rwy is greg's dream, but it's gonna be my northern home-away-from-home!  the marshalling of resources has begun.

moose

on Apr 24th, 2009, 8:18pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ah, so glad to see you making so much saw dust. That means trackage is not far behind. Good find on the lumber.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 10:36pm »

Bruce & George,
Thanks for the responses. As I said, somewhere above, I will be leaning heavily on my friends for moral as well as technical support.

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #73 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 12:23pm »

Greg,  Teach John how to take pics so we can see you with your smile with your completed work!  Have you decieded on a tie spacing for your RR?

Ties aren't cheap are they.  We have gone to preserved wood and look for seconds or deck waste.  Got a whole truck load last year of rejects and boy were they straight.  We think someone goofed.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #74 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:27pm »

Greg, Looking good brother! Nice beard too. So you have enough for 20' of track. Cool, are you going to start at the car barn? Hence, you can build your work flat to carry supplies as you move further along. Now we need you to draw a relative track plan so we "unmembers" of the Clam Lake Railway, can get a true picture of your progress.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #75 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:34pm »

Greg, have you given anymore thought about which scale wheels and rails you are going to go with? 1.5 compatible of the scale stuff like TomC's crew uses? Of course, budget will play a major factor. But I guess what I am asking is, are you really planning on hauling these larger engines and cars all over the country side?

pockets
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 1:33pm »

Hey, Bobby,
The moustache is a constant, but the beard comes and goes with season and temperament.

We're going back for some more tie stock, this week. I just grabbed a few to see if they would get me where I wanted to be. Yes, the plan is to start at the shop (new entrance) and proceed from there. As soon as George gets time to turn around, he and I will be putting together a postable track plan. Right now, the big head scratcher is the location of the turntable and bays.

We're gonna go with the IBLS wheel standards and back to back. The track is being built to the same dimensional standards as the BC. I just have too many friends who run the 1-1/2" stuff. Mechanically, everything will interchange. I've been told that the narrow wheels of 1-1/2 " scale won't work, on the SR&CL, but the jury is still out on the wider treads that I'm running. Eventually, I do plan to travel some, with a few pieces.

Tom,
I'm thinking, right now, that 5" - 5-1/2" C to C, is what I want. This is subject to change with whim and whimsy. I hear you, on the cost of ties. I had looked at treated lumber, but by the time I cut it down, to scale, it would no longer be treated and the waste would be significant. Besides, I just like hardwood.

As soon as I post this, I'm headed for the shop. Gotta finish that tie drilling jig I started yesterday.

Every unmember of the BC owns reciprocal rights on the Clam Lake, the second unclub.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2009, 1:36pm by pockets » Logged

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #77 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 1:55pm »

Greg, ask Bruce the next time you talk to him, for his "home brew" tie treatment. Stuff works well.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #78 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:21pm »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 1:55pm, BobbyT wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greg, ask Bruce the next time you talk to him, for his "home brew" tie treatment. Stuff works well.

Can Bruce post this treatment formula?  We tried oil & kerosene mixture but found it doesn't help much.

Greg, Sorry I didn't recognize you with your beard.  A good disguise I would say but then I haven't meet you in person.  Only in pics.

Tom C

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Apr 27th, 2009, 10:02am »

This first pic shows the Clam Lake's "Quick and Dirty Tie Drilling Jig". No rocket science or precision machining involved. The scrap box provided all of the materials 3/16" x 2" steel and a broken Bessy clamp) and about an hours work produced it. It took all night for the Rustoleum red to dry! The pilot holes, in the circles, are laid out to provide 7-5/8" gauge with #10 sheet metal screws.

Ray Heaton mey NOT look at these photos, as they are proof that welding, like shooting, is a perishable skill! I REALLY do have to get some burn time in... Running out of gas didn't help, either.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2009, 10:06am by pockets » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »