Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6019 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1499.jpg - 62103 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 6:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

if the photo above was a little 'unclear'...'uhu'...the one below should help.  then again....

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1499.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 7:37pm »

What ol' moose droppings didn't photograph was the 16hp Kohler K-341 and the hydraulic drive and I think that was the point he was trying to make.... .

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #42 on: Aug 12th, 2008, 5:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Oh, I can see it in the last picture. Greg you have a galloping goose! Though it doesn't look very much to scale and I bet its hard to keep on the tracks.  

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 7:37am »

Greg & Moose, I am beginning to think you guys missed my "galloping goose" reference. Look at the last picture Moose posted. Behind and below Greg to the right......... see the goose?

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2008, 11:44am by BMNW21201 » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 9:49am »

TOTALLY missed it! Those are SWMBO's pet mallards (another famous engine), Woody and Dandy. This wasn't too bad, but in 35 years of marriage, I have lost entire workshops to the needs of her menagerie. Just can't say NO to the lady. Kinda like when your better half gets her hands on 1201!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 11:43am »

Thanks Greg, you just had to bring up the 1201 incident again, didn't you. oh the shame of it all.  

pockets
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 12:41pm »

Bobby,
Next time, you should aim her at Pete's Mohawk, or the venerable Atlantic!

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 7:13pm »

Well, here we go, again. After a not insignificant amount of tribulation the Clam Lake Railway has a home. Not a huge home, but enough for a reasonably clever guy to work in about 800' - 1000' of mainline. A nice workshop came with the ROW and, of course, the obligitory house.

This afternoon, while cutting up some deadfalls for firewood, it occured to me that where we were working was right on the site of the future grade. I guess that qualifies this as a progress report!  

Greg B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #48 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 8:49pm »

Greg, is the new site better suited for the Clam Lake than the Alabama house?

pockets
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 9:05pm »

Bobby,
As far as access to industrial processes and supplies, yes. As far as facilities for fabrication and erecting equipment, YES! For scenic and constructional possibilities, for the railroad....., at least equal. For length of run, sadly, no.

I told George, about an hour ago, that I wish I had about two semi-loads of your square tiles. I'm gonna have to hook up with a concrete testing outfit or find a roofer.

Greg B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Nov 29th, 2008, 12:10am »

Get in good with a commercial roofer. We are getting the stone off of a project starting next week. To show how much of a mutual benefit it is, it is cheaper to haul from Naples to Pete's (over 40 miles) than it is to take the stone to the landfill. Nice sharp ballast stone for free. Sometimes you can get the roof pavers as well.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:51pm »

Greg,

Got home today from New Hope at about 2;30, and got onto the site. Glad to see that you are starting ,,,,,,,again on your railroad.

Thanks for your concern, BTW.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 8:15pm »

Thanks, Bruce.

I was out sloshing around the Clam Lake's new ROW, today. All along the North side of the property and across the West end, I have a small creek that zig-zags through what could best be described as a bog.

The way I see it, I can build about 300' of trestle, OR I can build five, maybe six, nice little bridges all connected by fills. The bridges would be my first choice. Yes, George, that means even more rail, for guard rails... This is a model railroad, so it doesn't have to be as practical as the prototype.

What I'm looking for is ideas for 10' - 15', single span bridges. I model the 1890s narrow gauge, so I'm looking for wood or masonry construction. Think about 4" scale.... That 10' - 15' becomes 30' - 45'. I already have a spot picked out for a Kingpost Truss.

Thanks,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 3:29pm »

hi all,

greg:  dang!  more billable hours?!

on Dec 15th, 2008, 8:15pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The way I see it, I can build about 300' of trestle, OR I can build five, maybe six, nice little bridges all connected by fills. The bridges would be my first choice. Yes, George, that means even more rail, for guard rails... This is a model railroad, so it doesn't have to be as practical as the prototype.

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2008, 3:29pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 6:06pm »

Well, Moosey will be happy to hear that the venerable John Deere has been earning her keep, today. She was put to use clearing right of way. My son, John, and I were snaking logs (deadfall and standing dead) from the future roadbed. Probably should have waited for thicker ice, on the creek, but the wood pile was getting low!

Can't wait until Spring, when I can get a backhoe in here. We're going to widen and deepen the creek, in some places, to ease the flow and promote better drainage. I have learned, from Chris Curtis (a new member here), that I can get clean fill just by putting a sign in my front yard. About a thousand yards ought to do it. I have some low areas and I want to add some "texture" to the place.  

I intend to use all of the lessons I have learned from the Buckinghams, the Sandy Ridge and Largo. All applied with a "twist" to give the Clam Lake it's own personality. Thirty-five years in the railroad hobby helps, too!

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 6:28pm »

Greg,

Its so good to hear that you are makeing headway on the ROW.  And thank you for the compliments paid to at least two of the RRs that I've been directly involved in. I only wish I was closer bye so to get my hands in on the RR. You know how I am about track!!

Happy New Year to you and your family,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 7:51pm »

Happy New Year to you, as well, Bruce.  

I wish you were closer, too, to do your "laying on of hands" to the Clam Lake. Like everyone who has travelled this path, I build this thing in my mind and in my sleepy dreams. I try to remember all of the little lessons that I have learned from you and a select few others.

As soon as I find and unpack the box with the digital camera, I will post a couple of pictures. The lathe has found it's way back onto it's stand and the shop is beginning to take shape. I learned, long ago, that a workshop is a living thing. You can put this here and that over there and other things where you think they should be. Over time the shop, itself, decides where things should be.

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:56pm »

Greg,

Sorry that I did'nt see the last couple of posts. Between trying to go to work and being sick as a dog, I missed some stuff.

I'm sure glad that your shop in getting back together. That should get things moveing for sure. Or at least some chips being made.

As far as track goes, you know that I have had a few real good teachers through the years. In a whole bunch of different ends of this hobby. Thats where my expertise comes from. I owe so much to so many. Some of whom are gone now.

Again, glad your making progress on the Clam Lake.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Feb 18th, 2009, 10:27pm »

Well, I still haven't found the bleedin' camera, but some other things are surfacing: Got the mig welder put together and the circuit run for it. Welded up the brackets and mounted the shop furnace. HEAT in the shop next winter!) Got the new casters welded onto the building stand.  

Found the truck components and wheel sets for the archbars, for the flat. Those trucks are at the top of the list. Gonna need that flat, come Spring. Still haven't found the brake rigging or couplers! Russ Page sent me a sample of his stake pocket castings. BEAUTIFUL.

The critter parts are gradually finding their way out of boxes and onto the shelf.

ROW routing is firming up. One day it's snowshoes and the next it's hip boots. Sure could stand some warm and dry. Well, no, then the shop work would suffer.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 12:27am »

A little more progress... The Clam Lake recieved it's first batch of steel rail today. This may not seem terribly exciting to some of the old hands, here, but when it's for YOUR large scale railroad it can be an event.

It was doubly so, for me, as the transaction allowed me to meet one of the icons of the hobby. Marty Knox and his lovely wife went out of their way to deliver the rail.

I don't travel a lot and I am not a good club member, so, I have been extremely fortunate in the people that I've met in this life style. Marty is one of these people.

ROW clearing continues apace. I sent some pics to Moosey. Perhaps, when he has time, he will post a couple. The creek/canal/ditch has been broken through from one property line to the other, so water is coming under control and the place is starting to dry out. Now it is a matter of getting it widened and deepened to handle a significant volume and creat the scenic effects desired.

Keepin' on keepin' on,
Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »