Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 5996 times)
twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
  P1030591_1126x752.jpg - 63968 Bytes
« Reply #220 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 7:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 8th, 2012, 7:03pm, moose_the_caboose wrote:       (Click here for original message)

hi all,

i'min the middle of the gulf of mexico, but able to read your posts....enjoying my time at sea!

chris: pockets is right, this is a builder's forum...as well as a teaching forum as well.  you have a wonderful gift and the ability to teach others...consider a form of teaching like a thread here or a column with lsor, the rest with follow.   for now, i'm going to be late for the next show!
give it some thought!

moose

Hi Moose! I'm not sure what you mean. I'd love to share my skills and what I've learned with others, both here in the forum and in print. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

PS-attached photo is a test of RP printed metal. No molds required!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/P1030591_1126x752.jpg
Click Image to Resize

3D CAD, rapid prototyping, pattern making, and industrial archeology.

http://adirondack.x10.mx/Welcome.html
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 8:32pm »

Chris,
I haven't had problems with strength from Shapeways.  What has been an issue is the "stripes" in the RP part due to the resolution of the process.  You can overcoome this by going to a more expensive material.  I looked at Moddler for one of my parts but they were considerably more expensive than Shapeways as I recall.  The sandstone material is about half the cost of the next least expensive material, and is better for patterns in my opinion.  Also, it helps to give the RP parts a few coats of paint from a rattle can.

What I think Moose is saying is to encourage you to start your own thread/topic in the Live Steam forum with the subject being the production of cast parts from RP patterns, 3D modelling, etc.  It helps people to find information, because it classifies material by subject matter.  I'll be glad to contribute info to such a topic.

Dan

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2012, 8:44pm by Dan Watson » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #222 on: Apr 18th, 2012, 11:20pm »

on Apr 9th, 2012, 7:37pm, twofoot65 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hi Moose! I'm not sure what you mean. I'd love to share my skills and what I've learned with others, both here in the forum and in print. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

PS-attached photo is a test of RP printed metal. No molds required!

hi all,

chris:  dan watson has it on the nose.  the live steam board here on railfan.net is a teaching springboard for newcomers and old dogs alike in the hobby.  as to other things, we don't tolerate blatant commercial offers very well.  i personally, operate on the philosophy passed to me by my grandfather...learn from a master, not an apprentice or a journeyman.  you have obviously mastered computer-aided drafting and modeling.  you have been given a gift and have gone further with it.  what i hope you will challenge yourself to do is teach others what you know.  whether it is here on railfan or a publication like LSOR, that part is the 'stew' of choices for you alone.

here on railfan, don't count replies to threads, just watch the 'hit' numbers.  each hit is a minimum of 2 eye balls.  to quote something grandfather also said..."don't advertise, give them what they want until they come to realize they want it".  he was wicked smart in the ways of peoples' reactions to things.  a master craftsman enjoys talking to and teaching people about what they do.  you obviously enjoy what you do so show us folks who are just awakening to having computer-aided drafting at our finger tips, but don't have a clue as to how to apply it to our hobby.

remember the more objects you show us how to draw, the more that you aren't advertising, you are teaching.  active & live cad drawings belong to you.  pdf's that you display here on railfan.net or in LSOR or anywhere else for that matter, the hobby public can use as an exampled learning tool.  primary goal, teach others.  secondary goal, learn how to better teach others.  by-product of teaching is answering emails, private messages or back-channel communications from those of us who hopeless at drafting and have realized that you have already drawn the part we need for our project.  first idea?  railroading is a system of complex parts, start at the bottom and work up.  how about showing us how to draw an ibls-configured wheel?  wanna do a thread here on railfan?  Start it!  i'll then give you the dimensions to draw to...how about that?

to all:  your moderators zealously guard individual threads from off-topic highjackings, but in this case, our new friend chris didn't realize that we strive to be different than any other live steam forum in all the internet.  we are not topical in terms of starting a new thread for the same subject every few days.  nor do we have a commercial section for posting ads.  by your knowledge and skills, you shall be known....that my friends is good enough for me.  if you think you are good enough, don't brag, teach...that's when you learn your own shortcomings.

my apologies to pockets for not returning his thread sooner.  my apologies to chris for not welcoming him in a timely manner and my thanks to dan for answering in my stead.

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Apr 19th, 2012, 12:11am »

Greg, George, Dan,

I owe you guys an appology. I did see the aforementioned posts. And, with all of your permissions, I'll once again be the bad guy moderator here.

Chris, George, very eloquently described the aims, goals and desires of the moderators on the most friendly live steam site on the net. BTW, one of the live steam moderators just happens to be the 'owner' of the complete site. Upon receiving permission to have a live steam forum on this railfan site, certain ground rules were spelled out to us.

Please take the time to read the opening statement post, issued by the 'owner' that appear at the beginning of this entire 'live steam' forum. I think this statement will clear up any misinformation that your may have had about this site.

As I close this post, let me say, that shareing your abilities here on railfan.net, would be much appreciated. If left in the contects of hobby shareing of information. But, as the owner wishes, not in a commercial form. I certainly hope that you understand where we are all coming from.

Bruce R. (the old, coal burning, soot covered, bearing greasing, track adjusting, forty year+ live steamer, bad guy moderator)

pockets
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Apr 19th, 2012, 5:35pm »

No pics yet, but a new project is underway: It's gonna take a bridge to get this line out of Strawberry Yard, in either direction. Well, the first one to go in will be a timber, Howe pony truss, about 16 feet long. Today, I bought some 2"x2"X3/16" angle and ordered four 3"x5"x 16' as well as two 4"x7"x12' white oak timbers, from the sawmill. This will be another one of those FUN/PITA   bolt for bolt and board for board projects.  

I hope to have a lot of the pre-fab work done by the time ol' Moosey gets here, this summer.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #225 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 4:23am »

Greg, You know we don't believe a word of it without pics  
You'll have to at least show what  the prototype looks like so we can motivate you by telling you it can't be done
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
pockets
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 3:26pm »

ROFLMAO  

See what I can do. Basically it's a Howe pony truss. Sawmill is having trouble getting decent, White Oak logs of sufficent length. There are alternative ways to build this thing, but they are less personally rewarding.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dick_Morris
Former Member
  cp173-1-2.jpg - 32280 Bytes
« Reply #227 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 10:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Here are a couple of photos of my take on a Howe pony truss. it generally follows a bridge drawing I found in Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette. It's 12 feet long and uses standard dimensional lumber. The rods are all 1/4" hot roll. The trusses were built at home, taken to the track site in the back of my pick up, and the final construction done on site.  

It's surprising how rigid the trusses become when I started to tighten the rods.  

(The locomotive is mine and the caboose is a friend's.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/cp173-1-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dick_Morris
Former Member
  caboose_1.jpg - 63372 Bytes
« Reply #228 on: Apr 30th, 2012, 10:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Second photo.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/caboose_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #229 on: May 1st, 2012, 8:08am »

That's very close to it, Dick. I'm working from prototype drawings in an antique (new when I bought it) plan book from All Nation, the O Scale company.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #230 on: Nov 14th, 2014, 4:07pm »

It had to happen, sooner or later; I'm Baaaack! Won't be long and I'll be raising heck, again. ROW excavation starts in the Spring, thanks to the acquisition of a real back hoe.

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #231 on: Nov 15th, 2014, 9:36am »

Hey Greg, glad to see u r back!  Got a back hoe.  Hope it has a bucket as u r in SNOW country.  Stay warm.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #232 on: Nov 15th, 2014, 8:04pm »

Hi, Tom. Thanks for the welcome back. My rig is an antique Massey Ferguson w/frontend loader and a Case back hoe grafted to the rear. Its a great little tractor and just the right size for building 3 3/4" row and support structures.

Just watched the radar and it looks like something headed my way. Should be about steam season for you guys. Say hi to jack and Mel for me. PM your contact info, if you would. My address book is AWOL.

Greg B.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »