Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 5994 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #200 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 4:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Russ,
just came in from the shop where I've been wire wheeling the factory finish off of nuts and bolts. We're trying a new process, here, in the Clam Lake shops. We're using a cold gun blueing finish on a lot of the parts. It puts a flash oxidation (very light rust, sort of) on the part and protects from further rust. I like it very much. When put next to a painted part, the painted part looks toy like. You'll get to see what I mean. I'm dragging it to Ft. Myers, warts and all. It won't be complete, because I'm out of time to get the brakes and brake rigging made and hung.  

See you there,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #201 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 6:54pm »

Well, the Clam Lake flat is back on the build stand for brake rigging and temporary fastener replacement. Pics when the camera catches up to me. I left it in Moosey's truck!

This trip to the magnificent Unmeet has resulted in some changes in plans for the Clam Lake Ry.
1. Because of Mooseys yammering about our little gathering last year, there will be a truncated, mini Unmeet North. The theme will either be track laying or bridge building (short timber pony truss). Facilities are limited (damned near non-existant) so coordinate with George-Moosey-Taylor.
2. Due to the magnanimity of two, un-named, benefactors, The Clam Lake Shops will be bypassing the critter, for now. We're going straight to steam!!!     there will be much pestering, by me, of the steam builders.

Thanks again, Buckinghams.
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #202 on: Feb 29th, 2012, 4:21pm »

WOW!! That's great news. I can wait to see the pictures. So sorry I missed you, I was and am dealing with a very sick wife. Take care.

Russ

pockets
Historian

« Reply #203 on: Feb 29th, 2012, 5:12pm »

Russ,
Wish you could have been there. There is no combination of adjectives that can adequately describe it.

I hope the wife's health issues resolve themselves so you can catch up to the gang.

Greg B.

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #204 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 11:23am »

Thank you so much for the well wishes.

twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

330_test_1.28.jpg - 66671 Bytes
« Reply #205 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:16pm »

Greg, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one following in the footsteps of the boys from the SR&CL...

Best,

Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/330_test_1.28.jpg
Click Image to Resize

3D CAD, rapid prototyping, pattern making, and industrial archeology.

http://adirondack.x10.mx/Welcome.html
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #206 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 8:35am »

Wow Chris  tell me more about that car.  What material did you use for the cord wood frame?  I want one like that for one of our cars.  Where is that car.  Look like out west.  Is it from Dave Skagen?  Enquiring minds want more info!  You sure make me wake up and take notice of a thread!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #207 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 9:37am »

Wow Chris, that's a sweet piece. Details

Greg B.

twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

SRRL_300_WIP-3.jpg - 51726 Bytes
« Reply #208 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 6:32pm »

on Apr 4th, 2012, 8:35am, tomc wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow Chris  tell me more about that car.  What material did you use for the cord wood frame?  I want one like that for one of our cars.  Where is that car.  Look like out west.  Is it from Dave Skagen?  Enquiring minds want more info!  You sure make me wake up and take notice of a thread!

Tom C.

Thanks Tom. That car is all me. I created 3D CAD patterns for every single piece on it.

C.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SRRL_300_WIP-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

P1030579.jpg - 38655 Bytes
« Reply #209 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 6:34pm »

on Apr 4th, 2012, 9:37am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow Chris, that's a sweet piece. Details

Greg B.

Thanks Greg. Modern technology in action: 3D CAD to rapid prototype patterns, to aluminum castings.

More here:  http://adirondack.x10.mx/Welcome.html

C.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/P1030579.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2012, 6:35pm by twofoot65 » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 10:37pm »

I can appreciate what you are doing with the pattern making and castings. I've been to your site and have some very nice stuff.

That said, I feel as though I've been had, or the butt of a joke. If not, you have my apologies. I didn't crawl into the above photo like I normally do. On closer examination, that photo is either a complete computer generation or seriously photo-shopped. Or, is it possible that my old, bi-focaled eyes are lying to me (wouldn't be the first time)?

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2012, 10:38pm by pockets » Logged

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #211 on: Apr 5th, 2012, 8:03am »

Greg, I feel you are correct that the car isn't a real piece of wood & steel yet.  I looked more and felt it was a photo shoped version of something.  Looked nice thou!  I want two racks for our flats so roundhouse wood can be thrown in and delivered.  As Mel would say, GET HOT!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

stake_pockets_on_flat.jpg - 41969 Bytes
« Reply #212 on: Apr 5th, 2012, 8:13am »

on Apr 4th, 2012, 10:37pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I can appreciate what you are doing with the pattern making and castings. I've been to your site and have some very nice stuff.

That said, I feel as though I've been had, or the butt of a joke. If not, you have my apologies. I didn't crawl into the above photo like I normally do. On closer examination, that photo is either a complete computer generation or seriously photo-shopped. Or, is it possible that my old, bi-focaled eyes are lying to me (wouldn't be the first time)?

Greg B.

You boys are both right. Until I can save enough pennies, the car only exists in my computer as a 3D model. My "real" job is as a graphic artist in television, so I have some fancy toys at my disposal. I did up the picture to see how the finished car would look and give me some inspiration to "have at it" when I can afford to do so. The castings and patterns are indeed real though.

I'm sorry if you guys thought it was a put on. Just wanted to share...

C.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (41969 bytes, 1024x684 pixels)

Click Here to View Image stake_pockets_on_flat.jpg - 41969 Bytes

pockets
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Apr 5th, 2012, 9:05pm »

Chris,
If all of this is for you, that's great, because this is primarily a builders board.

With your computer skills you may want to contact Neil Knopf, the editor of LS&OR magazine. That is also a good place to advertise, if this is a commercial venture.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #214 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 7:03pm »

on Apr 5th, 2012, 9:05pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Chris,
If all of this is for you, that's great, because this is primarily a builders board.

With your computer skills you may want to contact Neil Knopf, the editor of LS&OR magazine. That is also a good place to advertise, if this is a commercial venture.

Greg B.

hi all,

i'min the middle of the gulf of mexico, but able to read your posts....enjoying my time at sea!

chris: pockets is right, this is a builder's forum...as well as a teaching forum as well.  you have a wonderful gift and the ability to teach others...consider a form of teaching like a thread here or a column with lsor, the rest with follow.   for now, i'm going to be late for the next show!
give it some thought!

moose

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #215 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 5:17am »

Chris - You got me with the illustration in #205. I felt that some thing wasn't right, but I just figures out that there where no tracks.  

Can you make a Edrawing in your 3D-tool?

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
Dan Watson
Historian
  IMG_0020.jpg - 77835 Bytes
« Reply #216 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 8:57am »

Chris,
What material are you having your RP parts made from?  I have also had RP patterns made at Shapeways, using both "white, strong, flexible" and "sandstone".  The sandstone seems to be a very usable material for patterns, and is less expensive to buy than the WSF parts.  Pictured are some RP journal box patterns in sandstone for journal box castings.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (77835 bytes, 960x720 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IMG_0020.jpg - 77835 Bytes

twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #217 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 7:18pm »

on Apr 9th, 2012, 5:17am, Steen_Rudberg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Chris - You got me with the illustration in #205. I felt that some thing wasn't right, but I just figures out that there where no tracks.  

Can you make a Edrawing in your 3D-tool?

Hello Steen. Yes, I can create just about any sort of file from my 3D tools, even 2D PDF files.

C.

twofoot65
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

2011_03_24_7117.jpg - 246209 Bytes
« Reply #218 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 7:21pm »

on Apr 9th, 2012, 8:57am, Dan Watson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Chris,
What material are you having your RP parts made from?  I have also had RP patterns made at Shapeways, using both "white, strong, flexible" and "sandstone".  The sandstone seems to be a very usable material for patterns, and is less expensive to buy than the WSF parts.  Pictured are some RP journal box patterns in sandstone for journal box castings.

Hi Dan. I've had parts made by Shapeways, but I've noticed that wen they "hit it big", they lowered to resolution of their printer to increase output with the new large demand for their services. Have you had any problems with your patterns being too brittle to hold up to repeated use? (they do look good!)

I now use John at www.moddler.com for my patterns. He has an Objet Eden 500 RP machine that goes down to 16 MICRONS! They make the best patterns my investment caster has ever seen.  

Chris

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (246209 bytes, 2256x1504 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 2011_03_24_7117.jpg - 246209 Bytes

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012, 7:34pm by twofoot65 » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 7:24pm »

whoooeee, Dan. Wait'll ol' Moosey sees those journal boxes....  

Greg B.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »