Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 9:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6030 times)
B+MNW21201
Former Member
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg, I suggest you start building the track in your front yard first. Maybe a couple interested, arm chair model railroaders will be curious enough to stop by and maybe you can amass a "crew" like us.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:23am by BMNW21201 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 8:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

pockets and the clam lake railway is on the move again.  due to some unforseen circumstances, it's the long march to michigan.  he'll be back with us as soon as he is able.  at least he'll be making chips soon!

moose

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:19am »

George as I understand it, your "helix" idea for his railroad was what finally drove him over the edge!  

Greg, good luck with the move and hurry back to the forums.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:44pm »

Greg,

Please keep in touch. I certainly hope all goes well with the move back north.  

Take care of yourself,

Bruce

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #24 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 11:03am »

You all know he will be bothering us on the Sandy Ridge now!!!!  Lookin fwd to his visit.  As a side note and a small world kind of story.  Way back when, Pockets and Mel worked together on the C&O in Grand Rapids.  He will be commin home again.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jul 21st, 2008, 4:35pm »

hi all,

hope to be pestering pockets...soon!  a journey to mke means that i'll hop over to michigan and see where the clam lake might call home.   i hope that within the next year or two, i can also pop in on tom and the sr&cl bunch.  the visit to pockets will be one of the highlights of my northern sojourn.

stay tuned!

moose

on Jul 4th, 2008, 11:03am, tomc wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You all know he will be bothering us on the Sandy Ridge now!!!!  Lookin fwd to his visit.  As a side note and a small world kind of story.  Way back when, Pockets and Mel worked together on the C&O in Grand Rapids.  He will be commin home again.

Tom C.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008, 4:36pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ben_10-20-07_063.jpg - 129540 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:19pm »

hi all,

back from my northern trek!  i got the chance to spend most of 2 days with pockets at his temporary abode (he's since moved to a more permanent homestead).  we had a great time just being together again just jabberin', plinkin', and tinkerin' (yes, i know 'drinkin' would have fit in here too, but we have to think of the youngsters).  when i got there, pockets had set up a modest shop and was makin' chips.  to my surprize, he'd taken a set of cylinders i got for him and cleaned them up.  the image below shows the shape they were in when i got them.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ben_10-20-07_063.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1492.jpg - 133428 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:25pm »

hi all,

ready for this?  pockets cleaned the castings up and has them in close to prime condition.  there's more work to come, but it's a good start.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1492.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1494.jpg - 139738 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:33pm »

hi all,

pockets had one more revelation for me...the mark of the original machinist.   if you look carefully in the photo above, you'll see a hint of it.  seeing it gave us both pause to stop and reflect.  thank you, ben, you're still teaching us.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1494.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1493.jpg - 125257 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:45pm »

hi all,

here's the last 'cylinder' photo...with pockets.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1493.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:50pm »

Thankyou,thankyou, George. It was so good to see Greg. Plus the trip down memory lane did pull at my heart sting a bit.

Thanks again,

Bruce

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:51pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  greg_boden_10-14-07_001.jpg - 133882 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:59pm »

hi all,

if you're gonna build a railroad, you'll need equipment to clear the right of way.  one of my 'tinkerin' jobs for the clam lake rwy was to re-tune the carburator on a john deere 300 tractor.  pocket's son, john had done a good job of clearing those nagging little problems that an older tractor presents, but was having trouble with the carb.  the photo below shows the shape it was in when it arrived in alabama.  there was more than a fair amount of work to get it to a running stage.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/greg_boden_10-14-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1501.jpg - 134414 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:37pm »

hi all,

bruce:  my visit was over far too soon!  i'd gotten to mke at 2 a.m. on wednesday...only to get up a 4 a.m. to catch the lake express boat to michigan.  we stayed up late into the night until exhaustion took over, you know how that goes.   pockets had been holding back on the revelation of ben's initials until i could see them for myself.  believe me, he was excited and wanted everyone to see.  ben is with us, i now know that without a doubt.

to all:  for bruce and i, memory lane is bitter-sweet.  the loss of a old friend, ben, and the visit to one of our newer friends, pockets.  please pardon our stroll, we don't mean to leave you out, but some things still strike us on a personal level.  while pockets may be more than a few miles down the road, the twisted pair and digital ones&zeros keep us bound as brothers in this hobby.

now, back to the ol' john deere!  after about 30 to 40 minutes worth of tuning at idle and under load, this machine is a tiger.  the photo below shows john putting the john deere 300 through it's paces on pasture grass.  this thing tackled 14 to 16 inch grass without an engine bobble or slipping a blade.  once a front loader bucket and a back blade are added to pockets' bag of tricks, the clam lake's right of way will begin taking shape.  

i've been told that i would have to fly in at least once a year to 'handle' the maintenance.  i'm looking forward to it!

that's all for the john deere, but there was more going on in the shop for clam lake's rail equipment.  that will have to wait until tomorrow.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1501.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:49pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #33 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 8:46am »

While it is good to see that Pockets is alive and well, I would rather see the initial efforts focused on reestablishing Pocket's internet capabilities and get him back here with us.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 1:05pm »

Honey, I'm home........!!!

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #35 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 1:40pm »

bout time... wipe your feet!

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008, 1:41pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 3:26pm »

Thanks, Bobby. Spoken like a wife!

I can't tell you all how good it is to be back in touch. We're still getting our feet under us, but I will be seeing the SR&CL gang in the next few weeks. I can't wait!

George was up to visit and, as usual, every moment spent with him was quality time. As a result of his visit, some ideas were firmed up and now there are even more irons in the fire. I miss the Buckingham Central gang and my friends at Largo, but life moves on....

By the grace of digital communications friendships can be maintained and we can continue to think of each other in the present tense.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #37 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 5:54pm »

Welcome Back,, the forum (and the internet) has been to quiet with out you nudging us along.  C U soon I hope.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 7:23pm »

Greg,

So glad to see you back up and connected. I know that you'll get right back into kicking all of us a little off center.

But I sure did'nt think that the forums were quiet. I try never to let that happen. Heh,heh,heh.

Good to see you too.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  1_gig_download_7-31-08_1498.jpg - 68584 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 6:13pm »

hi all,

time passes...again...and i've just gotten to the point that i can post some of the other photos i took at pocket's temporary abode.  tom, ya better sit down!  the photo below is a critter that is headed your way!  actually, two critters, this one for clam lake and later, the second for moose meadows manor mining & mineral company.  it'll be for the 5m company, 'cause i'm not smart enough to think of a 6m company!

anyway, here's the photo...i think there's a critter in there....somewhere.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/1_gig_download_7-31-08_1498.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »