Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 8:32pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 5985 times)
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #180 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 6:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for the nice words Greg.  I enjoyed a real Coke with you and your son.  Greg has a nice shop area and I can't wait till he comes over in July to show him and George around.  

PS, the flat car is lookin good.  Yes Anoka, My wife remembers the Rambler dealer, I didn't.  See ya soon.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 8:58pm »

When I had finished cutting the welds (32 cuts- several passes each) on Moosey's critter, I still had a (blind luck) viable end mill. Sooooo....

More fake castings. Much more rubbing and fussing is needed to bring these parts to finish, but, in one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that you have to work through a lot of ugly to get to pretty. Such is the life of a scratchbuilder.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Jan 25th, 2012, 9:35pm »

hi all,

pockets asked that i post some of his pics of the progress on the flatcar.  while he's been at this project since his florida days, i can truly say that our visit to the srcl rwy put the spurs to him to get back to getting all the fiddly-bits done.  it has been equally important for him to have it ready to introduce to all of our friends attending the bcrr unmeet.

in the post above, pockets was showing the progress on the queen posts that he was making.  the pic below shows them installed...

...and yes, they must actually function like the prototype.

in the photo below, work has been done to the building of the trucks.  there was a change in the materials normally used for spring planks.  with the change, came a problem in the total height of the spring package.  a solution was found for total spring depth by modifying the spring plank design.  here's the solution that pockets used.  (if i've made an error or omission in the description...please correct)

in the pic below, most if not all of the weldments have been made...

more on the way!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Jan 25th, 2012, 9:53pm »

hi all,

there's a lot of telling things that we haven't been showing you concerning the building of the flatcar...lotsa time into the build, but little time to take pictures.  first, understand that this project is human-scale.  you can work on it with average handtools!

no, the hardware isn't 'pretty', yet, but you can see that it is almost there!  below is a picture that i dearly love...with all that i'm doing in 1.6 & 1.5 inch scales, this view shows what i want to be doing in the future.

how's this for a perspective?!

more later!!!

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Jan 26th, 2012, 7:53am »

W-O-W,,,,,, even after our conversation by phone, these pictures really bring home the size of this project. Very neat.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Jan 26th, 2012, 9:50am »

Now thats a flat car!   Really nice work Greg, I am looking forward to seeing you and the flat car at UN-MEET 2012. Ray III

pockets
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Jan 26th, 2012, 4:37pm »

Bruce & Ray,
 Thanks for looking and the comments..... Back to the shop!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #187 on: Jan 26th, 2012, 7:30pm »

That flat car is looking really good Greg.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Jan 27th, 2012, 2:04pm »

Thanks, Bobby. Lots to get done in a little bit of time.....

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 7:53pm »

hi all,

just gettin' back in the swing of things...one of the series of parts that pockets' made, the matching kingpin bolster plates.  the view is with the car sitting upside-down...

...also in view, the truss-rod guide plates....and to keep the side-stringers level and square to the car centersill itself, see the torsion bars?

...easy car build...well, pockets makes it look that way!

more later,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Feb 6th, 2012, 8:37pm »

hi all,

more pics from home!  pockets has been feverishly working on the trucks this past week and suffering from 'builders' apoplexy'...in short "I've spent all this time, will it work?! "

those who know him, know him to be a very thorough and thoughful man.  yet, when you launch on a voyage of discovery, faith in your design-work, skills, and process management come into play.  you can also add 'error management' to that list of faith items as well.  for those of us who build, there's always the nagging doubt that we've forgotten something that left undiscovered, can bit us...hard.  the hobby does that.

as pockets will no doubt tell you, he's had one of the trucks apart so many times that you'd think the hardware would be worn out.  the nice thing about having a sites like railfan and special places like the bcrr is that friendships are forged by mutual respect and an affliction known as 'railroading'.  to be able to come and talk here or by phone means so much when a build gets to a fever pitch in the doubt department.   to be able to discuss a problem with someone who understands what you are doing has a calming effect.  yes, building a model does get emotional when long hours of work and approaching deadlines begin to collide.  pockets among others, has been that calming voice for me in the past.  among our many mutual friends, i know that just about every one of them is nodding in agreement...and smiling because in knowing pockets the way they do, when the project is done, it's done right.  pockets my friend, thank you for your faith.

in the pics below, our friend, pockets has started the process of assembling the spring-plank and its spring package to one of the sideframes.

...for a reality check, notice the 12 oz coke bottle and the tools?

and one of my favorite pics!

...now that the easy part is over.....?!  great job!

moose

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2012, 8:43pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Feb 6th, 2012, 9:10pm »

Gee, Moosey, you make it sound soooo easy. This is still far from being a "fait accompli" (SP?).  Some will say, "What's the problem? It's just a flat car." Yeah, it's just a flat car, but it is NOT a kit car. There are only a few purchased components and a couple of well appreciated gifts. Everything else had to be discovered, researched, imagineered and created. Real life & SWMBO has held up progress a bunch, but now that I have some of this stuff fingered out, Stand Back!

Thanks, Moosey,
Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Feb 6th, 2012, 9:24pm »

HHMMMMMMMMMMMM, those flanges look very much like something that I would make to go through some of the guards and frogs that I'm familiar with.     Hmmmmmmm.  

I wonder what we are going to knock down while rolling this "little" flat car around. Heh,heh, muahhahahah.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 9:59am »

Well Bruce, it sounds like we may have some fun with it.

I'm building it, but I may have to get some of you veteran expert Live Steamers to do some tweaking. I may miss or forget something in the rush.

Can't wait to get there, but sure could use a couple more weeks on the car.....

Greg B.

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #194 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 9:35pm »

I like the looks of that car.......I guy could really stretch out on it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #195 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 10:29pm »

Greg,  wow it is coming together nicely.  When you get back from the  
B.C. RR, u need to bring over to the Sandy Ridge and get it dirty!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #196 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 11:35am »

I'd enjoy that,Tom, but the first thing I'd need is new wheels to y'all's standards.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Feb 10th, 2012, 9:28pm »

For those who may, or may not, give a tinker's diddle, I brought home the White Oak planks for the deck, yesterday. Beautiful, almost clear, rough cut 2"X10"X 8'. Four of them. To get milled down to 5/8" X 2-1/2" X 27" ship lap deck planks.

10 days 'til D-day!

Greg B.

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #198 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 1:47pm »

Bobby,
   I am going to start calling you "Rip Van Winkle" all you like to do is lie down in gons and flats. Bring a pillow.  HAHAHAHAHA
Russ

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #199 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 1:49pm »

BTW Greg and Moose, that flat is looking nice.
Russ

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012, 1:51pm by ConrailRed9504 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »