Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 5:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6038 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #160 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 3:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is a follow on from the previous view. The pond is out of sight to the right.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #161 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 3:10pm »

Last one for today. Like I said, this was all swamp a short time ago. If we have a good hard winter and a wet spring, it should settle in enough for roadbed, by summer.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #162 on: Oct 2nd, 2010, 5:00pm »

hi all,

as greg and i have talked over a period of years, the clam lake has been a dream of his since the day of our first meeting.  at long last, we have been showing you...little by little...that a dream can come to fruition.  the bcrr has been part and parcel to giving the clam lake bunch the confidence to 'just get started'!

sometimes, we just don't take the time to present the various phases of the clam lake's development.  with a limited budget and workforce, it just takes more time and planning.  the right-of-way needed to be built up so how do you do it?  well, momma wanted a duck pond!  i'll let greg explain further, but here are some pics from the clam lake archive.

don't have a duck pond?  then you dig it...momma is happy and there's material for the right-of-way.

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #163 on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:35am »

W-O-W, I don't know how the hell I missed all these REALLY neat pictures. Greg, it looks like your really out in the woods. Man, I'm so glad to see the ROW takeing shape. And,,,,,, the pond. Quite a project. If you don't have one, well,,,, just dig one out. OK then!!
BTW, the shop building looks great too. Congrats.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 9:34am »

Thanks for the kind words, Bruce. George brought some pics forward to give a little perspective. He shot the snowy one last winter. The rest happened this summer. Once SWMBO accepted the fact that her back yard would look like a construction zone, for a while, we were able to dig the pond. That got me roughly 50 yards of fill to put in the low spots.

What no one has seen yet is the 15 yards that we are working into the east end (Moose Meadows).

BTW, that backhoe was rented. Every d%^&ned bit of this clay has been handled, at least twice, by shovel! I'm not complaining at all. I'm just trying to illustrate, for the uninitiated, how much you have to WANT this stuff.

Thanks again, Bruce,
Greg B.

Henry
Historian
  ClamLakeTypefaces900-2.jpg - 153105 Bytes
« Reply #165 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 4:42pm »

Tom suggested that I attempt to create a herald for the Clam Lake. I have some questions and some typeface samples that I think are appropriate for an 1880's to 1920's RR.  

Is the "Clam Lake's" RR area fictitious or is it supposed to be for the Cadillac, MI area or for the Clam Lake on the western side of MI by Torch Lake or some other Clam Lake like in WI?  

Is there a known theme for the RR? My intuition says logging and lumber and I was thinking of doing a graphic that shows a shore line with trees and maybe a simplified one with an interlinked CLR that might be easier to reproduce on freight cars.  

Please chime in on what typeface(s) you think might look appropriate for the roadname lettering and/or what you think might be appropriate for the logo graphics subject.  

Thanks,  

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ClamLakeTypefaces900-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 6:31pm »

Oh, my goodness, Henry! Thanks.

Railroad Roman has always been a favorite, but I also like that Old Century. The Pere Marquette's font is the one I have chosen for the Clam Lake Ry.

The Clam Lake Ry takes it's inspiration from the multitude of narrow gauge lines that surrounded what is now Cadillac, MIchigan. The time frame ( with a couple of anomallies) is 1890ish. She's a common carrier slanted towards logging and upscale varnish.

If you're inclined, tinker with a pine tree growing out of an open clam shell....

NOW, it feels like Christmas!!!

Greg B.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 7:22pm »

That's all helpful info. I may be able to come up with some PM style lettering. A pine tree coming out of a clam shouldn't be too much trouble. I'll work on it when I get some time this week.

Merry Christmas!

Henry

pockets
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 8:41pm »

Thanks, Henry.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Greg B.

Henry
Historian
  ClamLakeRwy_PM.jpg - 17597 Bytes
« Reply #169 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 3:48pm »

Ok, here's one using the Pere Marquette style lettering. The lower one is a heavier "centered" style.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ClamLakeRwy_PM.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #170 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 7:10pm »

Henry, I can't express my gratitude strongly enough.  

Either font is acceptable. I really have no prefference, between them, so will bow to the artists eye...

Greg B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #171 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

my vote (as if i have one) is for the "heavier centered". It has a nice old time railroady feel to it. Nice work Henry.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:20am »

I agree Bobby, it just looks more "railroady" to me.

Henry

pockets
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 1:50pm »

Well, since I'm being squeezed, I have to admit that I like just a smidgeon more than the lighter script, too  

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 6:20am »

Well, I haven't been here for awhile.  When it's -8*f and looks like this, as this morning, I try to stay in the shop. Sometimes real life lets me do it.

Got to do some work on the flatcar project. It needed queenposts, and since this is a Clam Lake car (as opposed to a Sandy River car) I remembered seeing a different style that is contemporary with the car. This style was cast in pairs. There not being a Clam Lake Foundry, this project must be done as a weldment. Looking through my stash o' stuff, I came up with an old, T-section, garage door opener track. This provided the basis for this little project.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 7:06am by pockets » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #175 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 6:30am »

....a little cogitation and coffee and we do some hole saw whittlin"

Now we're starting to get there. For those of you who lack vision, the arms of the tees get heated and bent, to become the saddles for the truss rods. Gotta go to the welding store so I can finish these up.  

Thanks for lookin',

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #176 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 6:39am »

on Feb 11th, 2011, 6:20am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I haven't been here for awhile.  When it's -8*f and looks like this, as this morning, I try to stay in the shop. Sometimes real life lets me do it.

Got to do some work on the flatcar project. It needed queenposts, and since this is a Clam Lake car (as opposed to a Sandy River car) I remembered seeing a different style that is contemporary with the car. This style was cast in pairs. There not being a Clam Lake Foundry, this project must be done as a weldment.

Ah Greg,

You can't fool me!! That picture is from a Christmas card you got during the holidays. Muhahah. That whie stuff looks real pretty in pictures, but I don't think I want to be in the middle of it any more. Especially at -7*.

Keep warm, my friend.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #177 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 10:46am »

WOW Greg,  that is some good metal mashing.  I can't see that stuf in my head!  I lack vision!  

Make sure you show us the final part.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #178 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 9:51pm »

Bruce,
Yeah, that Christmas card was shot from my front porch!

Tom
Thanks for the encouragement. Gonna try for the welding store, tomorrow, so I can finish these up. Being aware of your lack of vision   I will be sure to post pics of the finished product.....

Thanks again, guys,
Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Jun 5th, 2011, 5:12pm »

The Clam Lake shops had a distinguished visitor, this afternoon. Tom Casper, of Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake notoriety stopped by for a visit.

We talked trains and hot rods and walked the soggy ROW and talked trains some more.

Thanks for the visit, Tom. I really enjoyed your company and conversation. Anoka....sonamagun......

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »