Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 10:11pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6032 times)
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #140 on: Jan 21st, 2010, 10:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Bobby,

We don't either.  We use what the Portland Company used scaled down.  Look for the flat car thread for pics.  Our cars are 24 inches wide and the engines are 26 or so.  

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #141 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 3:27pm »

The Clam Lake Ry shops are taking a quantum leap foreward, this weekend. We're going across the state to retrieve a Wells Index milling machine. This thing has a table and the machining envelope to do 3-3/4" scale locomotive frames. At least the frames I want to do, 4-4-0 & 0-4-2 & 2-4-2 side rod locomotives. Even MY Model T critter will be a piece of cake. Pics soon.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 11:58pm »

Greg, another Index milling machine?  You, Bobby and I are going to have to come up with a secret handshake!

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010, 8:35pm by Dan Watson » Logged
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #143 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 1:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

LOL  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #144 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 6:15pm »

hi all,

stay tuned folks!  good news is a-comin'!  i got some 411 from pockets today!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #145 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 7:01pm »

Guys,
I'm not one to brag about the tools I've got, but I'll be first in line to brag about my kids.

My eldest son has had an Index mill, with my name on it, for a couple of years. Well, he's moving his shop soon and he asked me to come and get the mill. I made the necessary arrangements and showed up at his place. I hit the LOTTO! Walking through his shop, he pointed to a 13" X 30" South Bend lathe, "Got any use for that?" After a stammered affirmative, he gave instructions to load it, and a fair amount of tooling, into the truck. A little further on, and he pointed to a pretty good sized metal cutting bandsaw. Same question, same answer. All told, he gifted me with the mill, the lathe, DRO for both, the saw and four pallets of material and tooling.

Have you hugged your kids, today? I have.....

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #146 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 8:53pm »

I love your son, and I've never met him! Congrats on the great score! Now you will have no excuses for building the Clam lake. lol. Where's the pictures?  

Tell your son if he gets the urge to unload anything else, you have friends.........with trucks!

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 8:47am »

Greg, I know you are smiling big.   What a wonderful gift from your son.  congrats on the huge shop infusion.  RayIII

pockets
Historian

« Reply #148 on: May 16th, 2010, 8:17pm »

At last! Here are a couple of shots of my grand-daughter making chips with the Index. Yesterday we made a couple of hydraulic adapters on the South Bend. The Clam Lake shops are back up and running.

I was looking for something to do a little non-critical, eyeball metal whittling, so I grabbed the axle bearing blocks for my critter. Just got set up and running, when Shyann came into the shop. I asked her if she wanted to run the mill and her face lit up lie a Christmas tree. The rest, as they say, is history. when I told her that she was machining a part for OUR locomotive, it got even brighter. Another shop rat / large scale railroader is born....

Greg B.

P.S. : How many lathes, Bobby?

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #149 on: May 17th, 2010, 7:15pm »

How many lathes?  

you-2 = I see the big one behind you, and in the bottom photo do I spot one hiding in the background?

me-0, nada, zilch = I even looked in my shop again, just to be sure. Nope, nothing  

pockets
Historian

« Reply #150 on: May 17th, 2010, 7:52pm »

Ya missed the baby.... There's a Unimat 3 on top of the white shelf.

It takes time, my friend. I, like many in The Hobby, have been a lifetime putting a shop together. My recent good fortune has allowed me to have a pretty complete shop. If ya want it bad enough, it'll happen.

Like Daddy used to say,"Cars and wimin come and go.... Tools are forever!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 7:58pm by pockets » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #151 on: May 18th, 2010, 6:26pm »

hi all,

pockets:  looks like the clam lake steamers have grown!   great to see shyann gettin' chips in her blood!  looks like unka karl may have to come up with two sets of starretts...

give her a hug from me and tell her how proud i am to see her get to use her 'rithmatics'.  book learnin' takes on a whole new meaning when you get to see practical results.  guess we better figger on a new contributor to these pages in the next couple of years!  once the bug takes her, she'll run hell-bent-for-election on 'her' engine.

shyann, unka george is bustin' proud of you!

moose

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #152 on: May 18th, 2010, 10:07pm »

This is our heritage boys. We learned from someone who took the time to teach, and now it is our turn to teach the the next batch. You can't buy that for any amount of money. She look like a natural machinist. Greg, maybe you should "dust off" the Unimat and let her tinker with that.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #153 on: May 19th, 2010, 9:49am »

For those who may give a hoot, or two, here is a shot to provide context to what is happening in the pics with Shyann. What you are looking at are the axle and bearing assemblies for my Model T critter. The bearings are conveyor "take-up" bearings and have a four sided opening where you see the spring. We were removing the top side to make way for the spring.

These may, or may not, be the final springs. (Bruce, they're out of a 390 Ford) These springs may be too soft, or too stiff, but they will allow construction to proceed.

Bobby, the Unimat needs some love, but it will be ready when she is!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2010, 9:59am by pockets » Logged

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #154 on: May 19th, 2010, 4:56pm »

Greg,  
  It sure is good to see the newer generation pick up from the last and take the torch runnin', not to mention the valuable time you get to spend with them. Congrats on your new shop acquisitions, have fun. BTW, it's lookin' REAL nice.    I ditto what Bobby said,"We learned from someone who took the time to teach, and now it is our turn to teach the the next batch." Thanks to the guys at the BCRR for taking the time to teach me.
Russell

BobbyT
Former Member
  100_0496-2.jpg - 91280 Bytes
« Reply #155 on: May 19th, 2010, 7:38pm »

Greg,  

I used the same bearing set-up on the critter. They have done well for the last 5 years!

You can't see them in the photo, but the side frames are 1/2" plate with the journal opening cut out. The bearing fit perfectly and float well.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0496-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #156 on: May 19th, 2010, 8:35pm »

Bobby,
I can't claim any kind of originality for the bearing idea. I stole the idea from Keith Watson (Australian) via Russ Page (A shameless lurker, here).

Russ and I discovered that great minds do, truely, work alike. We are both working on Model T critters with full sized radiator shells and miscellaneous components. His is further along than mine, but not yet finished.

Greg B.

chris porthuronrailyard
TRAINing

« Reply #157 on: Jun 1st, 2010, 6:26pm »

hi every body I had a chance to vist the clam lake rr and shops and pockets you and john ben busy the pond is  great for looks and purpose its nice and the the shops got stuff going on all over its great to see !!!! i had great time talking with you pockets ill be out again soon GTW CHRIS

pockets
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Jun 1st, 2010, 7:03pm »

Chris,
You're more than welcome anytime.

Yeah, the shops are busy. This stuff won't build itself and the night shift doesn't do anything!

You saw Moose's muffins (leave it alone) and I finished up that piece that was in the mill. That's part of a jig for machining #7 frogs out of rail. Tonight, I may cut up some rail and give it a test drive.

Congrats on your recent good fortune.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 3:01pm »

Its been a while since I posted here, but that doesn't mean we've been idle. Ya work on what you can with whatcha got. These pics show some newly generated (from swamp) real estate. Almost a year ago, ol' Moosey was trudgin' through this area, breaking through the ice and gettin' wet feet. Well the dirt (clay) from the pond has allowed us to raise the whole area by 4" to a foot. Not very photogenic, but we gained another hundred feet of ROW.

This shot shows the relocated temporary bridge for tractor access. In the middle distance is where George got wet feet.

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »