Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 19th, 2017, 7:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6035 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!

« Reply #100 on: May 15th, 2009, 10:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I got out in the shop, today. In between bouts with a mower deck rebuild, I made some progress on the draft gear. Interresting chore, today, drilling a 3/16" hole, lengthwise, through a piece of 3/8" square stock 1-1/2" long. Eight times! I'll try to post a picture, tomorrow. Forgot the camera, today.

I envy you your castings, Tom.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #101 on: May 19th, 2009, 5:03pm »

Did a little better, today. Made a little progress AND remembered the camera....

These are the fore and aft stops, for the draft gear. They are what transfer the push and pull to the car and, by extension, to the rest of the train. First, lay in a heavy fillet, on what I call the front side.

Next, turn it over and prep for a bead. Even  if it looked like good penetration, I ground out a "V" and layed in another bead. In my opinion, these pieces have to be 100%.

Backside bead.

After a little grinding, 'cause these parts have to mount flat to the draft timbers.

The next two pics are the set for one end of the car. The mounting holes have to be drilled and there is some rounding off, of the thin end, yet to be done.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #102 on: May 19th, 2009, 10:29pm »

Yes Greg,  casting are neater.  That is why we have been working so hard to get a foundry up and running.  Mel had to do this with our second car as we had no parts at that time.  I think we will be able to offer some for sale next year.  Our foundry is working farliy good right now.  We will see what happens over summer.

Tom C.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2009, 10:32pm by tomc » Logged

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #103 on: May 21st, 2009, 5:16pm »

Keep me posted, Tom.

Here are some pics of the mechanically functional draft gear. There is some, significant, cosmetic work, sand blasting and paint yet to be done.

That's a 6" scale, at the bottom of the pics.

Anyone got a source for 10-24 X long, square head nuts and bolts?

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #104 on: May 22nd, 2009, 8:36am »

I have a couple, try this one, www.smithfast.com/mssqandhexnuts.html
or this one www.instockfasteners.com/HOME.asp
or this one www.nutsandbolts4u.com/index.php
or this one www.fastenersuperstore.com/stores/superstore/step3.cfm?category=Nuts&productCategory=Square%20Nuts

Is that 2?

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #105 on: May 22nd, 2009, 11:20am »

Thanks, Tom.

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #106 on: May 22nd, 2009, 10:23pm »

Your are welcome.  By the way.  U r doin good with the couplers.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Spring_assy._brake_shoes_coupler_stops_05-24-09.jpg - 19405 Bytes
« Reply #107 on: May 25th, 2009, 11:07am »

Greg,

Here are some of the shots of our foundry output.  I put the coupler stops in just for U!  Mel lined up 4 of em. Just have to cut apart with the band saw.

Tom C.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Spring_assy._brake_shoes_coupler_stops_05-24-09.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009, 11:09am by tomc » Logged

Later;

tom_srclry_com
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Door_guides_Center_castings_05-24-09.jpg - 25468 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: May 25th, 2009, 11:11am »

Here are some box car detail parts.  Door guides and center castings.

Tom C.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Door_guides_Center_castings_05-24-09.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009, 11:12am by tomc » Logged

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #109 on: May 25th, 2009, 4:16pm »

That's some good looking stuff, Tom. Is that brass, or painted aluminum? The pics have a golden tint to them.

What are the dummy leaves for?

I hope to have my foundry this fall, or winter.

Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #110 on: May 25th, 2009, 9:05pm »

Greg,  Pure aluminum.  The tint is from no flash under florescent lights.  The dummy springs are for a passenger car truck.  We find they don't need to work just look like they do.  The coil springs will handle the load just fine.  Good to hear about your foundry.  Send pics when you can.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
pockets
Historian

« Reply #111 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 10:14pm »

Sorry about no current updates. Real life stepped in. Aside from some family stuff, the Clam Lake's 2-2-0 F100 is spread all over the shop...    

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 10:12am »

hi all,

greg:  at least you can repair the 2-2-0 f100...i had to trade my 2-2-0 exploder in for a 2-2-0 gmc, now the pocketbooklet smarts every month!

you'll get it back together and i know it will be better than ever.  best to swmbo, just make sure she takes the slow and steady course.

moose

on Jun 12th, 2009, 10:14pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sorry about no current updates. Real life stepped in. Aside from some family stuff, the Clam Lake's 2-2-0 F100 is spread all over the shop...    

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Aug 5th, 2009, 7:07pm »

Hi Gang,
Just some progress shots to let those who care know that we do keep plugging away on the Clam lake. As per my normal modus operandi, I got these pics absolutely bass ackwards!! If you are interested, scroll to the bottom and read up.

We keep arcing to the left and swing by the distant grape arbor.

AH, I see open country ahead!

The main will swing around this monster Ash tree on a 60' radius

There was no serious effort to stay exactly on the ROW, at this point. The whole purpose of this exercise was to gain construction access.

This was taken from the west end of Strawberry Yard. You can see the venerable John Deere, down in the woods, and the temporary access bridge (ramp to put said tractor into truck!).

In this shot, you can see the sight of Strawberry Yard, running behind the shop. Yet to be decided is whether it will be two or three tracks. One of the yard tracks will be the temporary main. The real main will eventually run parallel to the yard, out of sight and across the creek to the right.

Here, we have crossed the currently dry Tudd Creek. The foot bridge is behind my left shoulder. There will be a switch, here, with one branch entering the shop and the other becoming the yard lead. This is also the east end of the fill that I've been hauling. Most of the fill is now in for this lead and Strawberry Yard.

These past three pics take you west, along the right of way to the temporary foot bridge. In the pic, the foot bridge is just to the left of where the RR bridge will be. To the right, across the picture from the bridge, you can see a sunbeam. Straight through that gap is where the permanent main will run. That's going to involve some SERIOUS construction.

This is the east entrance to the Robert Rogers Division. We've got the eastern third cleared enough that we can run a mower down it to keep it open.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Aug 5th, 2009, 7:31pm »

hi all,

pockets:  i know we've talked more than a few times about your progress....but OMG, it's great to see the pictures!  keep it up, i hope our mutual friend allows me the opportunity to spend time with you in the coming month(s).

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #115 on: Aug 5th, 2009, 10:59pm »

HOLY HANNA !!!! Thats a lot of progress. Much more than you described to me by phone. Great to see all of those trees too. Please, keep the pictures coming.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 12:11pm »

George and Bruce,
Thanks for the kind words. You two know how much labor you're looking at.

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 10:42pm »

Greg,

I took the time to look a little better at those pics. Man I can almost see trackage there. This should be a nice run within the shade of those trees.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 11:50pm »

Bruce,
Yes, it should be a nice run. I'm only going to have something around 1200' of main line, but a fat third of it will be through the trees and more than half will be shady at various times of day. That will help an old man during construction and maintenance, too!

Greg B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #119 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 10:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg,

The ROW looks great. I really like the woodsy feel. You will be amazed at how the woods will make your 1200 feet feel much longer since you won't be able to see all the track from any one spot. I am excited for you brother!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »