Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 4:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!  (Read 6009 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  clam_lake_11-11-07_017.jpg - 102966 Bytes
« on: Nov 15th, 2007, 10:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

the clam lake railway has been a long time dream of our very own mr. pockets.  as of this past weekend, a dream it has been, but a reality it will become!  i made the trip to the l.a. area to deliver some much needed, but meager supplies and equipment for the dream to jump from the imagination into reality.  i'm just sorry that i couldn't bring more on this first trip.  over the next few years, you will see the outcome of one man's dream just as you've watched the amazing things being done on the bcrr.  

the clrwy will cover less than 2/3's the ground that the bcrr does, but will be built to narrow gauge look and feel.  this railway will be built to 3 3/4" scale from buildings, rollingstock, trestlework, and locomotives.  what it lacks in land area, it more than makes up for it in clever planning and extreme terrain.  by dead reckoning, i figure that there is 6 or 7 feet of elevation change from the se corner to the nw corner of the property(i think my shay will have a great time on this road!).  in the photo below, i'm shooting from the sw corner to the nw corner...you can already see some of the change in elevation.

more coming!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/clam_lake_11-11-07_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: The Clam Lake Railway, a 3 3/4" scale railroad!
  clam_lake_11-11-07_020.jpg - 93495 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:07pm »

hi all,

here's another picture to give you an idea of elevations that have to be dealt with.  in this photo, i'm shooting from the sw corner to the se  corner.  you really can't see the eastern property line, but you can see the start of a foundation pad for the shop building.  in another photo, i (with pockets' help) have crudely marked up where the right-of-ways and future structures will be.

getting late, will post a lot more of my journey over the next few days.

thanks pockets, for sharing the dream with me and allowing me to be part of it!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/clam_lake_11-11-07_020.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 12:05am »

Well, OK Greg. Yea, I think you could end up with a nice bit of railroad there. And enough grade to make the thing work some too. Nice to see the property finally.

thanks George for the photos.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  Copy_3_of_boden1.jpg - 33625 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:16pm »

hi all,

i've been working with a paint program to produce an image of the clam lake railway as a works-in-progress as my contribution to help pockets move from a mental image to something tangible.  below is the base drawing on a google-type satellite map.  the map legend?  orange is where i believe the property lines are.  blue-green is the low line and red is the high line.

until the property and line can be measured and proven mathmatically, the drawing above is just the foundation of the planning process.  trying to keep everything above a minimum 50' radius may change the line  in one respect or other.  and no, that's not a 50' radius turntable, it's just that paint isn't a cad program.  it's hard to size anything in paint.

more to the tour following!

moose the not so great painter

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Copy_3_of_boden1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:28pm »

OK, George, I'm gathering between the red and the blue indications we have a point to point railroad. Thats gonna be sharp.

Lets go Greg. I want to see this thing before I die, heh,heh,heh.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  aclam_lake_11-11-07_001.jpg - 106253 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:30pm »

hi all,

okay, here's the tour so far.  in this picture, you are standing on the se corner of the property looking back towards the west.  what you are seeing is the line coming from the 3-way switch beyond the fence line(along with 'cruiser', the i-gotta-be-in-every-shot wonder dog).

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/aclam_lake_11-11-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  aclam_lake_11-11-07_002.jpg - 105092 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:36pm »

hi all,

bruce!....but wait!  it gets better at the end of tour!  lol!

to all:  with pockets as a marker, this picture is of the curve as it swings through a cut on the se corner out to the front yard heading north.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/aclam_lake_11-11-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  aclam_lake_11-11-07_005.jpg - 100963 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:39pm »

hi all,

this next picture shows how the line will swing through the ne corner finally turning to the west.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/aclam_lake_11-11-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  LiveSteam/tcrjeytj.bmp (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:44pm »

hi all,

here's a look from the ne corner looking west at the beginning of the high line.  

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:48pm »

Guys,

Can you tell what the widest radius curve will be? Notice I said widest not tightest.
I know, I'm a smart a$$. But I like to tell folks when they ask me about laying track, go for the maximium not the minimum radius.

Talk to you later,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  Copy_3_of_boden1_idea_1.jpg - 42679 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:56pm »

hi all,

in the last few days, pockets and i have spent some wonderful time on the phone.  i was able to clarify some misunderstood thoughts (entirely my fault) about some of the alignments i was going to post.  however, he happened to mention 'helix'...doh!  he shouldn't have done that, now he's having a devil of a time reigning me in.  here's a look at where i went with it and some additional thoughts i added to it.  yep, now he's gonna have to take my pen/brush/mouse away!

i have some additional pictures, but will have to modify them to reflect the changes.  i'll post them as soon as they are done...i promise, pockets!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Copy_3_of_boden1_idea_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 11:14pm »

George,
Thank you for all of your efforts and your friendship.

Bruce,
I am well aware of falling into the trap of minimum radiusitis! Once we get a topographic grid and can plug some real numbers into this dream, the lines will firm up. Because the property is small, for it's purpose, I'm going to steal a page from John Allen. Minimize the use of straight track. Use long sweeping curves instead.

The choke points are the front of the property, where it's just a little over 100' wide and the West end, where the outer loop has to be shoved out to the corners to allow a reasonable radius for the upper loop and the (possible) helix.

Bruce, you know my situation, so believe me when I say that I understand your sense of urgency! However, I may only get one shot at this so I want to do it right. It's our fervent hope to put railroad modeling back into live steam.

All,
The Clam Lake is concieved as a two foot gauge common carrier, set in the Victorian era. 1890 - 1910 We, at the railroad, will gratefully recieve any and all ideas, suggestions and random thoughts. This is a L O N G term project. This is a builder's railroad. Most of what will be needed or desired, will be produced on the property from raw stock.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 6:54am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg, Rock on brother! I can't wait to see this started. And remember, we want lots of pictures.  

Bobby

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 6:14pm »

on Nov 19th, 2007, 9:48pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Guys,

Can you tell what the widest radius curve will be? Notice I said widest not tightest.
I know, I'm a smart a$$. But I like to tell folks when they ask me about laying track, go for the maximium not the minimum radius.

Talk to you later,

Bruce

Bruce,

Need a job?  You are singing my song.  This is the message I keep trying to get across in the 1'-0" = 1'-0" world.

George

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:48am »

George H.,

Thank you for the very nice compliment. When a professional railroader like yourself pays a compliment to me, that really means something to me. Thank you.

Greg,

It might streach your property line a bit, but if you could swing a nice even fifty foot radius curve around the front of the house, you should be OK for most average locos. I certainly would open my gauge to 7 5/8th too.

Keep that dream going, Greg,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 1:57pm »

George,
Did you get the email with the switch pics?

Bruce,
The beauty of it is that, even though only 100' + a fudge factor at the front, by the time I get back to the tangents I'm plenty wide. 7-5/8 is the standard on the Clam Lake. Believe me, Friend, I have been paying attention!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  aclamgdfg65gg.jpg - 56464 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:29pm »

hi all,

i've had a few minutes to mock up some of the pictures i took on the clam lake.  here's a look from  the door of the shop through the turntable and on down grade...providing that the helix gets to the final plan, it's off to the right in yellow.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/aclamgdfg65gg.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:40pm »

Startin' ter scare me, Moosey. That stuff, off to the right, looks closer to Orlando  than Opp!! What is so deceptive about these pictures, is the way the land falls away to the upper right hand corner of the one above.

At least George H. can see where the 3-way is going to live.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:44pm by pockets » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  aclam_lake_11-11-07_031.jpg - 108892 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:44pm »

hi all,

i also got a chance to mock up where the two story office/shop for the clam lake rwy will be.  the drawing in no way, shape or form is a representation of the size and look of the building to be placed there, but an indication of it's planned presence.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/aclam_lake_11-11-07_031.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:07pm »

hi all,

pockets and all:  merry christmas to all!  enjoy your time with family and friends.  bring us back the stories so rich and telling!

moose the caboose

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  12 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »