Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 25th, 2017, 12:49am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Electric Loco Land!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Electric Loco Land!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Electric Loco Land!  (Read 4230 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Electric Loco Land!

« Reply #60 on: May 17th, 2007, 9:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

it's good to see the folks to our south represented here!  in the fullness of time, the tradewinds & atlantic have certainly shared their wealth of information with many of us.  for you young whippersnappers, the south track has been a hot bed of live steam activity for many years.  

jon, welcome aboard and please feel free to start a tradewinds & atlantic thread to keep us and the many friends of the t & a up to date on your members and their activities.

moose the caboose ;D

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #61 on: May 21st, 2007, 6:30pm »

Wow, Thanks Bruce for those awesome wheels, they are PERFECT!

Now I just have to set the holes for the screws and who laaa!

But now my friends I need help from you electric locomotive runners out there!
I just got my phoenix sound card...  ItS AWESOME, but I am trying to get it where it doesnt blow the horn when it stops and moves, I cant get it to change over, I also had the stupid thing somehow already in the pee wee whistle mode.  Any other tips would help also!

Dean

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #62 on: May 31st, 2007, 8:25am »

I got my soundcard fixed.  It works really well, and can be heard down the block with NO AMP!  Thats amazing.

OK, next question.  I opted out on a Q4D controller for budget reasons and that one came with my motor.  But I need a reversing system built with relays.  Can someone show me where to get some or which one i need.  I dont quite understand the input vs. output voltages, as in which is which on the websites.  

If I am right...could not be...  I will need a 24VDC DPDT 30A RELAY, OUTPUT 24VDC 30A, INPUT AROUND 3VDC-9VDC If there is some easier way to go, please let me know.  

Thanks guys!

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #63 on: May 31st, 2007, 9:59am »

Dean,

Why don't you send a private note to George T. (moose the cabboose). He has a very good running electric locomotive. And has alrady worked the bugs out of it.  
Also, as I've already suggested once, give Dunkin Herring a call. (Herring Eng.) He is real easy to talk to and has also worked the bugs out of some really nice, dependable electric locomotives. Just MHO.

Take care, hope to see you soon,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 8:28pm »

hi all,

yes, i'm a 'tron-chaser as pockets says.  

dg:  when you think about relays, think small electrical loads.  they're good for small appliance motors, horns, etc, but they aren't that good for larger motors.  yes, there's always an exception to the rule.  many of the newer controllers come with the reversing function built onboard.  it may be handy and convenient, but troublesome as the circuit ages.  most golf carts either use manually controlled switches or circuit controlled solenoids.  the manual switch is a double-pole, double-throw configuration.  a set of solenoids (4 in the case of golf carts) would be grouped and configured the same way.  just like relays, solenoids have a powered-on state and a relaxed powered-off state.  most people use the powered-off state as 'forward'.  one of the most important things to think about is power consumption.  powered-on state devices add to the electrical load on your batteries.  

why solenoids over relays?  typically, relays have smaller contacts while solenoids have a much larger electrical contact area.  high current loads across relay contacts cause heating and premature failure (not to mention welding arcs).  all electrical contacts face this problem, but solenoids are generally going to last longer.  think about the starter solenoid in your car and the massive current it handles just as the starter motor spins up?

bruce is also correct, i've built 2 electric locos so far and both work great.  if you look, my avatar is a picture of the control section from the skytrain model.  not brag, just fact...as one of my heroes would say.  i plan on build/owning 2 more (#1 - a single motor 3 3/4 scale critter with a beautiful body-and-chassis-by-pockets and #2 - a twin golf cart motored center cab named 'bull of the woods') electrics by before embarking for the land of steam for good.  (there's also this particular person who talks about building a true gas/electric that i just might undertake to do all the 'tron-chasing for...hint...hint?!)

BTW, duncan is a great person to talk to no matter where you are on your journey into electric locos or live steam.  he is a solution-driven man and likes to see/explore how others solved various problems.   he also shares his knowledge willingly...to those who shut-up and listen!   it was the strangest thing one time, i over-heard a novice trying to ask him for advice and not give him the opportunity to reply!  go figure?!

moose the caboose

on May 31st, 2007, 9:59am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dean,

Why don't you send a private note to George T. (moose the cabboose). He has a very good running electric locomotive. And has alrady worked the bugs out of it.  
Also, as I've already suggested once, give Dunkin Herring a call. (Herring Eng.) He is real easy to talk to and has also worked the bugs out of some really nice, dependable electric locomotives. Just MHO.

Take care, hope to see you soon,

Bruce

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 8:20pm »

Well, as the crew in Buckingham Central know, I've been busy, SO BUSY, that I havent really spent too much time on the forum or anything else!!!

So, here is the update, dont expect too much, I've been gone and sleeping in Daytona, FL (and railfanning FEC    )  

So (2), to all that have followed the saga's on this train here is my update-

1.  Main Frame Built, Almost completed wiring
2.  Sound Card needs still a little work, calling Phoenix tomorrow
3.  Shell still needs fiberglass work, another coat, but sanding has been the main priority lately
4.  Getting the shell to fit!  I got some fitting still to do, but its been the "highlight" in the garage today, We (me and mom) are close, but there is one spot that the shell is a little warped and bending inwards.  Need to push it out some.
5.  More electrical work.

Thats just a quick update.
I will post pix. soon.
Dean

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 9:18am »

Dean,

I know that I'm repeating myself here, but I want to say that it was a real treat to have your mom, grand dad, and yourself visit at the BCRR a couple of weeks ago. And of course, so we could see your work on the 44 tonner.  

Thanks again for shareing. BTW, glad we could help a little in your endeavor.

Bruce

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 2:42am »

WELL

Here it goes-

Alot of things have been done to get ready to take this train to a National Confernce, and I think the judges are going to go "what is live steam"!  So I will be sure to put a plug for us all about the hobby!

NeXt:  The engine has really come together, see that I have been putting in 12 hour days (8AM-12PM, 1PM-6PM, 9PM to later)  for about the past week!  The paint gave us some issues to work out, as well as other things (like the "25 pin plug", haha, what a joke with the wiring)  But we have gotten through it, we are almost there!

Tomorrow:  We will install windows, and doors.  Along with finish up the numbers (maybe) and clean-up the wires going everywhere.

I will keep updating as we go along!

DG

Dean
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #68 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 9:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

PICTURES! Wheres the pictures?

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 6:28pm »

Well, i was so busy, i didnt get a finished on before i boxed it up..    

Well...  i got a few others in the process guys that i can post!

PIX to follow!

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  0a100_0449.jpg - 178923 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 6:47pm »

Just a few cans of spray paint to make it look nice..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/0a100_0449.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2007, 6:51pm by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  0a100_0459.jpg - 110853 Bytes
« Reply #71 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 6:53pm »

Well, sometimes, when you have to have it done in a time thats a few nights away, you pull some extra hours...

This was our last coat of paint, and the best!  Amazing, painting black in the dark.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/0a100_0459.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  0a100_0473.jpg - 107191 Bytes
« Reply #72 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 6:57pm »

And the almost finished product, just needed some doors here!  Well, they are on now, except the chain on the motor pushed out a door and popped it off the hinge...  Guess the engineer (haha) screwed up!

There isnt logos on yet either, but that will have to wait...  hows the stripe'ing?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/0a100_0473.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
pockets
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 10:55pm »

Dean,
You've put together a real keeper. You and your parents must be very proud.  

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:00am »

MAN, that looks GREAT !!!! Nice, nice work. I hope to see it running one of these days soon.  

Dean, keep up the good work,

Take care,  

Bruce

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:40pm »

Thanks guys,

I think I will have to roll it back out of the box tonight to get some good pictures with the doors on!  

I will soon have the chance to get to work on it some more when school starts back up and I have access to the machine shop.  Once that gets settled, I will be able mount in some solenoids, (for fwd, and rev)(already talked to lee wright about a system of solenoids and such), and make the final connections.  

I still have to find the right batteries, some types of deep cycles are too big, the fiberglass pulled in the shell, 1/8" off the original dims for the inside...OH WELL...

Once I found some, I'll be ready to set in some sort of electric braking system, or air system! and be able to climb up and down that trestle..

Also, thinking about it...
Is there anyone that I know that runs out at the Manatee track? (andrew, ray, etc.)...Just wondering...I rather go out there with someone I guess one day then just show up.

Thanks for the comments guys, my Mom and Dad are kinda proud...I think I'm the only kid with a ridable train on the block...lol!

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  100_2121.jpg - 42183 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:04am »

I took some photos to show you guys some of the engine in its more than 3/4 completed state.  These photos show that the logos are still MIA, and the deep cycles are not there yet.  But in any case, this at least shows it almost-done-yet-not-yet-done state

first picture-locomotive for down low angle

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2121.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  100_2122.jpg - 34488 Bytes
« Reply #77 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:06am »

picture showing a little of the end too!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2122.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  100_2126.jpg - 39655 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:22am »

There is something about men and toggles and shiny buttons and knobs to play with.

TOP LEFT-Front LED Light
TOP RIGHT-Cab Light
ROW 2 LEFT-Rear LED Light
ROW 2 RIGHT-Electric Brakes
ROW 3-LEFT-Bell
ROW 3-RIGHT-Horn
KNOB-Thortlle
Bottom-Left to Rev. Right to Fwd.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2126.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  100_2128.jpg - 36828 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:24am »

Without the shell on, you can see my 12volts just running the sound card for the show i did.  But deep cycles will be placed there instead

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2128.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »