Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 7:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Electric Loco Land!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Electric Loco Land!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Electric Loco Land!  (Read 4269 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Electric Loco Land!

« Reply #40 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 1:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Naw, Bobby, it wants to be Pere Marquette Royal Blue, with the gold bow waves and silver trucks.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:03am »

WOW!  All the response 2 simple pictures make.  LOL!  

pockets:  Glass won't be a problem for me.  My drafting teacher builds kayaks, boats and canoes out of fiberglass all the time, you should see his last kayak.  So with him on my side, no prob.  I all ready got the pumps, hardner, epoxy, mat, etc.  The main shape, will be matted, while small details (horn, steps) will not have mat, only the epoxy.  I know it will be hard, but I cant wait.

Moose:  Thanks for the information on the shafts, I will look into it.  BUT, there is always that thing called too big... well I hit it.  What I mean is that last night I sat down and inputed the figures on the shaft, a spline, gearbox, bearings, sprockets, I am at 18 inches long.  The 18 isnt bad, I can make it fit.  Whats bad is that the gear box is going on the axle and then up, cant go down.  That makes the shaft WAY TOO HIGH.  It won't fit.  

So, I have come up with a new design.  AAHH WHAAAAT!!?  Ya, well, its not new, but its simple and it will fit.  Its pretty much what I started off with too.  I go from the motor with is sitting sideways( end to the right or left) just about centered over the pivot of the truck.  The motor has a clearence of about 1/4" on both sides.  The chain runs from the motor to a close to center pivot shaft (parallel to axles).  So there is a 1.5:1 ratio.  Then the shaft rotates another sprocket witch with near the center to the axle.  Another 1.5:1 gearing.  Then from axle to axle with sprockets and chain.  Since the motor isnt near the ground, it wont get dirty.  The motor will be mounted to the truck, not the frame, so it pivots and rides with the wheels.  The frame is solid, pretty much, except springs located on each end of the axles at the bearings to allow a little up and down movement.  No worry on a loose chain either from the motor to the truck, its all staying at the same parallel.  I got it all punched into ACAD.

LSS:  I laughed pretty hard when I read what you said.  Thats true, GE 44 Tonner's dont have too much traction effort, and they werent too fast either, about topping out at around 30 MPH is what I heard.  For my 18th birthday, I want to run the GE 44 in Parrish.  I think that is where I fell in love with the loco, plus I have heard and read that there is only two others in 7.5" gauge, so its KINDA rare.

B&P:   B&P sounds like a railroad, lol...  

Yah, it would look good, but, I think I am just going to go with my own railroad name for now...  Black with a orange strips and text.  Flying Eagle Rail Line (FERL) and the slogan "THE ORANGE ROUTE"  Flying Eagle is our Boy Scout Camp, which you might have heard of, been on CNN because Gary Hampton (In Charge, Lives in Ft. Myers) is trying to sell it.  This is his 4th council and so far he sales every camp at each council.  Whats funny is that we own CFE, but not the Port Charlotte camp, Camp Miles, which is owned by the state.  We invest more in a piece of property that we dont even own then a piece we do.  SAD!!!!  But the "THE ORANGE ROUTE"  is for Bradenton and the Tropicana Juice Train connection, plus the whole state is all about citrus.  OH, BTW, I am going to get ahold of the reflective 3M orange vynal stuff for the GE 44 safety stripes at the bottom (look at a picture).

So you might just "I hear(SEE) the train a comin'
it's rolling round the bend
and I ain't seen the sunshine (THE ORANGE ROUTE) since I don't know when,", even at night.

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  drive_system.jpg - 10719 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:33am »

Here is the new drive system image/design.  Little hard to see though, O Well, maybe you get the idea.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/drive_system.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:34am by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 11:37am »

Dean,  

Believe it or not, I've ssen an almost identicle system incorporated in a power truck of a nice model of a 1912 GE gas electric. I had to do a little machine work on the trucks a few years ago.  
   I would suggest makeing sure you have some good bearings on that intermediate shaft. A spring idler on the uper part of chain between the axles will keep tension on that chain so it does not "droop" down toward the ties. My last suggestion is this. don't install springs that won't compress a little. If they are too stiff, you may as well not put them in.  The springs and the journal boxes need to "work" in order to compensate for the inequities in the track. No matter how good the track work is, there are always high and low spots.
   Hope some of this helps.

Take care,  

Bruce
ps
When do we see your 44 tonner at the BCRR?

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 5:10pm »

Bruce:  A Idler/tensioner will do a great deal of help.  The last thing I want is some ballast catching a ride on a chain!  

I def. agree with you on those springs too.  They need to be about 1/3 compressed is what i am planning, that way a little up and and little down movement in the system.  

Also, seeing at the BCRR, I am planning ASAP!
Can't wait to see that thing climb the trustle.  HHHHhhhmmm   photo/video opt?  I guess I better check the brakes at the bottom before I get to the top though.  

I can hear it now:

Conductor: "Conductor to Engineer of train 423, ready for brake check"
Engineer:" Ready to apply"
Cond:"Apply"
GOOD BRAKES
Cond.:"Release"
Cond.:"Good release"
Engineer:"There arn't any air brakes on this train, only dynamic and a hand brake."
Cond.:"Oh....  Well, I heard the airbrake sounds"
Engin:"That was a sound card"
Cond:"Sorry, I forgot this was 1/8th scale and this is the BCRR, not the AMR"

Have a wonderful Thursday and rest of the week/weekend...
Dean Gordon

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Apr 24th, 2007, 3:43pm »

WELL!!!!

My weekend was awesome!

I got FIRST PLACE in FLORIDA for CAD 2D Architecture.  I went to the Technology Student Associtation competetion in Orlando, FL and WON!  So, guess what!?!!!  I got a FREE trip to NASHVILLE TENNEESSEE this SUMMER to compete up there.  AND!  not only am i going to do CAD again at a National level, my drafting teacher, Mr. Orr, think that that GE 44 will be in the back of the car too....  So the race begins!  

Yesterday, April 23, was my Birthday, yes, that big ONE SEVEN!  Whoo hoo!  And what can be a better gift than more steel C channel, 1"x1" angle iron, and some other stuff?  I also finally went and got my fishing license and made a bell for the GE 44 on the lathe at school.  

Today, April 24, wasn't my Birthday, but I celebrated by using a metal bandsaw to cut the pieces for the trucks.  I made fiarly good time, completing most of it with in 2 hours, inlcuding marking and cutting.  We also had to draw up some more plans and made some minor changes.  When I got home I found a package at the door, just like Christmas!  It was my 10 bearings, and the 3 sprockets!  I ordered them on Sunday After-noon, so they sure made quick time.  

Tomarrow, hopefully, we can start the welding on the truck frames and locomotive bolsters.  Maybe drill some holes for the truck bearings and key the axles.  

You never know whats going to happen, or who is going to show up, or what you win, its always a guessing game...

OH BTW....  My teacher thinks that we are going to build a second shell to fit the GE 44 to make it look like a bullet train for the competition, personally, I am still for the GE 44 but maybe just for the competition we can use the bullet train shell.  

Cheers to all...
Dean Gordon

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 10:04am »

HOLY MACKERAL Dean. Good for you. AND, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I sure did'nt realize that our birthdays were so close.  

Thats pretty awesome news about you winning that contest. Man, what an accomplishment.  

Take care, many more happy birthdays,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:38pm »

hi all,

dg:  i owe you an apology for not taking time to read your entire post!  i read the first part where you won the competition and i was all smiles because you did what you set out to do that i didn't see the part about your birthday.  happy belated birthday!  when you get to be our age (i stopped at 39), birthdays come fast and furious.  for a youngster your age, life is changing rapidly, with that change there is an expectation of increased responsibilities.  in your vocational life, you're already making decisions that will help ensure a better future for you and possibly, your future family.  being able to do that at this stage of your life makes me proud that you've chosen to be part of this group and prouder still that you've chosen to post your work here.

congratulations on both the hard work you put into your winning entry and on crossing over into adulthood.

moose the tired

ps...i like the idea of the 44-tonner better than the 'mass' transit option, i'm with you on that!

on Apr 25th, 2007, 10:04am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

HOLY MACKERAL Dean. Good for you. AND, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I sure did'nt realize that our birthdays were so close.  

Thats pretty awesome news about you winning that contest. Man, what an accomplishment.  

Take care, many more happy birthdays,

Bruce

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 8:48pm »

Thanks guys,  

GO APRIL BIRTHDAYS!  WOO HOO!

I got to reorder parts, I screwed up and got non-rotating pillow blocks.  Oh well, it happens.  I think we are going to just build our own out of 1"x2" and the bearings that came with the wheels, the bearing will be housed inside of a pipe or sqaure stock so the rotate.  Each side frame will have springs b/w the bottom and top of the truck.  Hard to explain, but, it should work out alright.  

Mr. Orr, hasnt been there since Wednesday, his wife is in the hospital with a infection. PRAY, alot!

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Apr 28th, 2007, 10:49pm »

WOW!  Well, I got them to redo the frame welds, they burned some holes the first time and missaligned some too, buts its fixed now.  

For those that are God believers:
Thanks for praying, she was in a coma and not responsing, a really band infection too, but today, she is awake and talking,  looking alot better and is awake, Thank God.

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #50 on: May 2nd, 2007, 4:39pm »

I will have to take some pictures and post BUT...  I got one truck frame together today, the other should be together tomarrow or the next day.  I got 2x1 angle and have 2 springs (from arched bar frieght trucks) to the rotating 1x1 angle which is bolted to the main frame of the engine.  This system allows a little slop for lateral and good up and down movement if it needs it but it still keeps everything straight anytime else.  The springs seem just right with the weight of the engine.  The bearings will go into some round stock welded to the 2x1...

Ya, pictures would help would it.

Next issue....  I got to get a 1" I.D. sprocket to fit on a 3/4" O.D. axle.....  hhhmmmm

Hopefully trucks will be together soon.

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #51 on: May 6th, 2007, 2:22pm »

Bruce, Peter, BCRR members,...

I sent my wheels, axles and bearings back home with my grandpa, I am guessing that he will give you a call Bruce.  Anyways, if you could press them together that would be a big help!!!  Thanks alot!

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #52 on: May 10th, 2007, 6:40pm »

Hey Dean,

I figured I'd put the follow up post here instead of in the "steel brdgs,wood trestle"
thread.  

Sure did receive the wheels, axles, bearings, and spokets at my place of work. A funny thing happend though. They are in a Granger box. And the box is on the end of my desk. You have no idea how many service people have looked into that box, thinking it was some sort of gizmo that I purchased for my trade. And then they see all these wheels and shafts and stuff. Quite a few laughs since that box has been  
there.  

I'll bring them over to Pete's. Hopefully we can get that done for you ASAP.  

BTW, are you going to come down to Ft.Myers this week end? We will be running a lot of stuff. Plus the antique car guys from Punta Gorda are going to be attending.
Should be quite a good time.

Take care,  

Bruce

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #53 on: May 10th, 2007, 10:58pm »

WELL!  Glad they got a kick out of the stuff in the box...

I wish I could go down there but I don't think I can make it (jazz band stuff)...

Sometimes, I feel like I have WAY TOO MUCH GOING ON!

Ands its not even Marching Band season

Also, If you see a easier way to get those to fit on there right, do it.  And, the sprockets need to be centered on the axle, I think I said that, but just to make sure I did.
Thanks Bruce, thats a big help, we are just trying to finish up all the framing and laser cut wood parts before end of school.  We shall fiberglass next week, i hope.  Control box is complete, except paint, I will post some pictures.

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  ge44a.jpg - 91110 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: May 14th, 2007, 4:24pm »

A pictures, fiberglass isnt finished but its started in this photo.  How do you like the wheel details?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ge44a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  ge44b.jpg - 82729 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: May 14th, 2007, 4:25pm »

another shot

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ge44b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  ge44c.jpg - 71855 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: May 14th, 2007, 4:27pm »

Wheel Detail, believe it or not, those arnt real springs!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ge44c.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2007, 4:29pm by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
LaGrange

View Profile   WWW  

IMG_2051.jpg - 83952 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: May 14th, 2007, 10:40pm »

I hear this one is electric (battery), too.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2051.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #58 on: May 16th, 2007, 8:04pm »

Yep, thats a nice locomotive, a little bigger than mine...lol

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #59 on: May 17th, 2007, 11:01am »

Hey Jon,

Good to see your post here. If you've been surfing through this forum, I'm sure you have seen what I'm up to these days.

Take care,  

Bruce

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »