Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Electric Loco Land!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Electric Loco Land!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Electric Loco Land!  (Read 4283 times)
fresnojay
TRAINing
Re: Electric Loco Land!
  CAM002071_998x740.jpg - 74324 Bytes
« Reply #120 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ladies and Gents,
I have been quiet for quite a while but not on purpose. I have been busy busting my butt on this project and work. So going to post up various pictures to show how the loco has gotten to where it is now.

Jason

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (998x740, 74324 bytes)

Click Here to View Image CAM002071_998x740.jpg - 74324 Bytes

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2014, 11:45pm by fresnojay » Logged
fresnojay
TRAINing
  Another_Angle_Iron_998x740.jpg - 92125 Bytes
« Reply #121 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:46pm »

Shows how the cab is assembled. Screwed together with 4-40 button head screws to simulate rivets.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (92125 bytes, 998x740 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Another_Angle_Iron_998x740.jpg - 92125 Bytes

fresnojay
TRAINing
  CAM004191_998x740.jpg - 63143 Bytes
« Reply #122 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:49pm »

Shows my door assembled with hinges and the door knob actually works to lock and unlock the door. Door knob assembly was made from R/C car servo mounting kit.

Jason

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (63143 bytes, 998x740 pixels)

Click Here to View Image CAM004191_998x740.jpg - 63143 Bytes

fresnojay
TRAINing
  CAM003881.jpg - 176201 Bytes
« Reply #123 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:50pm »

This is how she looks as 1 piece.

Jason

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/CAM003881.jpg
Click Image to Resize

fresnojay
TRAINing
  CAM00499.jpg - 294441 Bytes
« Reply #124 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:52pm »

This is how she looks under the hood presently. The controller is a Syren 50. Plus the re is a beta version of a new sound system being developed. So she also sports a amp and 2 5 1/4" speakers which are not pictured.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/CAM00499.jpg
Click Image to Resize

fresnojay
TRAINing
  832_858x636.jpg - 148412 Bytes
« Reply #125 on: May 27th, 2014, 11:58pm »

Finally her she is out at her first meet 2 weekends ago. My boy and wife out for a ride. She ran flawless!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/832_858x636.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #126 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 11:30am »

on May 27th, 2014, 11:50pm, fresnojay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is how she looks as 1 piece.

Jason

hi jason!  good to see your project coming up to running operation.  as you may have guessed in the past, i'm not the biggest fan of plum cove models or the light running gear  that they champion.  i'll keep my reasons to myself, but believe me, i celebrate that your model operates (flawlessly) and especially that your family can now join you in your hobby!  enjoy it!  know that when it is completed...ya gotta build something else and post it here on railfan!  

fresnojay
TRAINing
  834.jpg - 408477 Bytes
« Reply #127 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 2:04pm »

Moose,
Thanks for the kind words...I think, lol. I don't blame your dislike of the cheap running gear. But for many it works and works well.  

Oh in case you didn't notice the beast is not a Plum Cove. In fact she has them on weight by a good 250#. Plus has a complete chassis and is actually built chassis wise almost spot on per 23T prototype. The journals are a liberty but hey 9 out of 10 isn't bad.

Here is a pic showing a comparison between a PC and the beast.

Jason

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (408477 bytes, 842x624 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 834.jpg - 408477 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 6:09pm »

on Jun 1st, 2014, 2:04pm, fresnojay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
Thanks for the kind words...I think, lol. I don't blame your dislike of the cheap running gear. But for many it works and works well.  

Oh in case you didn't notice the beast is not a Plum Cove. In fact she has them on weight by a good 250#. Plus has a complete chassis and is actually built chassis wise almost spot on per 23T prototype. The journals are a liberty but hey 9 out of 10 isn't bad.

Here is a pic showing a comparison between a PC and the beast.

Jason

jason:  you are to be congratulated and i am to be forgiven!  wise choice!  ...and if you happen to look at the autocad thread, you will see the beginnings of the g3 23 ton 2ft gauge loco.  maybe one day we can have a ge loco gathering?!

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #129 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 9:55pm »

Moose,
Looks like you are on your way. ACAD takes a bit to get used to but once you get it things will flow. I used to be fluent in ACAD back in the day and designed a few houses in my distant past. One of which was actually built. Never could get the 3D rendering though. Always fascinated me what could be done.  

As for a GE meet I am all for it. My wheel sets are easily re-gaugeable to 7.25". Was a feature designed into them from jump. I also have another close friend that is in the process of beginning a build of a narrow gauge 23T that is easily 60% bigger than mine and close to the size of the new RMI one. He proudly boasts that his will be more detailed than the RMI one though .

Jason

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #130 on: Jun 19th, 2014, 6:33pm »

on Jun 1st, 2014, 9:55pm, fresnojay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
Looks like you are on your way. ACAD takes a bit to get used to but once you get it things will flow. I used to be fluent in ACAD back in the day and designed a few houses in my distant past. One of which was actually built. Never could get the 3D rendering though. Always fascinated me what could be done.  

As for a GE meet I am all for it. My wheel sets are easily re-gaugeable to 7.25". Was a feature designed into them from jump. I also have another close friend that is in the process of beginning a build of a narrow gauge 23T that is easily 60% bigger than mine and close to the size of the new RMI one. He proudly boasts that his will be more detailed than the RMI one though .

Jason

the 23 ton machine on the drawingboard is the one at mngr.  clamored for and got quite a bit of data to study for it.  painfully slow!

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #131 on: Jun 20th, 2014, 12:29am »

I can totally understand the slow going. I have entered the detailing phase and it seems I can't make any headway. Other hobby obligations, work, family, and such just keep getting in the way.  

Hope to get back on track so to say in the next week or 2. Also have to start making weekend trips again to help a fellow steamer tear down his steamer to put the new jacket on his new boiler and fix some leaks. But the bright side to that is I always end up with some fun tid bits that will make there way onto or into my loco . I currently have some nice brass headlights, steel wire for grabs, and some steps to be added already.

Jason

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #132 on: Jun 24th, 2014, 7:27pm »

Jason, the box cab is coming along nicely.

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #133 on: Jun 26th, 2014, 2:51am »

Thanks Bobby.  

Hope to get back on it again here in a week or 2. Finishing up some other Hobby obligations both steam and otherwise. Then my calendar should be free to get her on the way to completion.  

Jason

P.S. If anyone is interested here is a link to the newest Video of the loco running. I have others as well on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLs5JjHLPO0&list=UUGONAPE2c-CPF26coacRX_Q

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2014, 2:58am by fresnojay » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #134 on: Aug 5th, 2014, 3:18pm »

on Jun 26th, 2014, 2:51am, fresnojay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Bobby.  

Hope to get back on it again here in a week or 2. Finishing up some other Hobby obligations both steam and otherwise. Then my calendar should be free to get her on the way to completion.  

Jason

P.S. If anyone is interested here is a link to the newest Video of the loco running. I have others as well on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLs5JjHLPO0&list=UUGONAPE2c-CPF26coacRX_Q

cool, jason!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »