Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 1:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Read Me, Read Me, Read Me! New members start here!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Read Me, Read Me, Read Me! New members start here!  (Read 907 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« on: Jan 14th, 2007, 8:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all!

moose, one of your moderators here.  if you are new to the live steam board, a heart-felt welcome!  there are a number of live steam/large scale railroading discussion boards across the internet landscape, so we thank you for visiting this one.   within each live steam discussion board that you visit, the tone and focus will be different.  this board in particular, has chosen to be at the fore-front of the mentoring process for building railroads and equipment for the ride-on scales.   whether it be locomotives, rail cars, or track-laying, we are here to help you get started.  

just as we (bruce-erie atlantic7597-moderator, myself-moose the caboose, greg-pockets, bobby t-(whose screen-name i can never remember), george h-the 1 to 1 scale track engineer, and many of the others were mentored, so shall we share with you.  helping you become a successful member of the live steam hobby is repayment of the debt we owe to those who taught us.  

if you are already in the hobby, we would like to hear about the projects that you are working on or have completed.  how did you solve some of the problems encountered  in your project?  what components did you use? how did you do it?

about posting a new thread on the live steam board:

read all the threads on the board before starting a new topic.  if you are unsure, then email bruce or myself via railfan's email service.  we just might know which thread to point you to.  for instance, if it is a question about rail cars, then 'building live steam railcars with moose the caboose' is the thread for you.  if it is about steam engines, then check any of the threads dealing with the erie-atlantic 7597 locomotive.  if it is about any of the other modes of locomotion, we have a few threads about them too.  if it is about the railroad physical plant, then 'laying track for a live steam railroad' is what you want.  we also ask that if you post or start a new thread, we prefer that the focus be on the ride-on scales, not a small scales or prototypes.  some things translate up or down in scale, but many don't.  remember, the goal is to help people get into the live steam and ride-on scales hobby.

threads about the live steam hobby that are purely topical without technical merit or focus will be kept on the board through the event of their topicality.  they will eventually be locked for a time, then removed.  those dealing with the technical and instructional aspects of the hobby will be maintained for their archival value.  

house-keeping on this board is necessary to keep things neat, orderly, and focused.  we do this so that others coming into the discussion later on can find the answers to their questions in a timely manner.  

the live steam board here on railfan.net was the collaboration of two men, henry-owner/moderator and bruce-erieatlantic7597.  i thank both of them for allowing me to be a part of it.  this special place we call 'railfan.net' is the dream and creation of one man, henry-owner/moderator, to be the place where everything railroading can be discussed and visited.  if you are enjoying this fantastic place, show your appreciation  for his fore-thought by making a financial contribution to keep 'railfan.net' the wonderful place that it is.

new members, the next bit of 'required reading' is the official welcome thread for the live steam board.  henry explains some very simple rules for posting on 'railfan.net'.  please make every effort to read, follow, and be a good mentor for those that come behind us.

on behalf of henry, bruce, and myself, we work hard to keep the live steam board friendly, upbeat, and informative.  now, you are part of the team to keep it that way!

bruce:  have i missed anything?

moose the caboose

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2007, 9:17pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Read Me, Read Me, Read Me! New members start here!

« Reply #1 on: May 20th, 2007, 7:54pm »

hi all!

in recent days, we've been faced with the what-if question of whether private tracks should appear on forum sites like this one without the approval of their owners.  public tracks have and will continue to able to start a thread here where their members can meet, post, and teach us something about their unique situation so long as they follow the board's gudelines.  by their very nature, public tracks are open to any live steamer to visit on their (the track's) prescribed day(s).  many have their own websites that give their calendars and operation data for just that purpose.  

i'm a history buff like many in our hobby, but with the ever increasing availability of visual satillite technology some of the rights that we quietly enjoyed are quickly disappearing.  the far reaching effect of the internet means that those who wish a quiet place in the sun to enjoy their avocation (live steam) are losing it to the curious, the bold, and the insensitive, not to mention the criminal.   live steamers have always prided themselves on being courteous and leaving things better than when they found them.  unlike some of the more rowdy segments of the train-freakers, we don't take 'souveneirs' home with us, just memories and photographs.

so what am i getting at?  some time back, this live steam board carried a thread about a private track where the owner was not only unknown to us, but whether or not he still lived.   the persons who started and posted in that thread did so innocently enough.  they didn't do it to cause any harm, but to enlighten us about the railroad.   bruce and i became concerned that the gentleman or his family wouldn't appreciate the extra interest it might generate from folks of less than generous curiosity or interests.  if this gentleman had passed, can you imagine the hurt and violation his family would feel by having persons-unkown traipsing all over their home and lands?

so what does it mean for this live steam board?  private tracks are welcome and encouraged to start a thread here, but because their privacy is at stake, we need to hear from the owner(s) that they approve.  they can do that either by email, im, written coorespondence or telephone.  bruce and i are both old school in that we will pick up the telephone and call.

one additional proviso,  we ask that satillite imagery of a private track not be posted without express permission from the owner(s) to us, your moderators.  availability and ownership of imagery isn't the question, retaining one's privacy in the onslaught is.  whether a track is public or private, there is a tremendous investment of time, money and energy.  in today's world, it doesn't take very much to spoil a good thing.  our avocation needs both the public and the private tracks.  treat both with respect and courtesy, you'll find yourself welcome where ever you go.  it's much better to be greeted by handshakes, than pitchforks or the local constabulary.  in our zeal to promote a greater understanding, we sometimes miss the harm we do to those we're trying to promote.

help us protect the privacy of others, just as you would have us do for you.

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 10:38pm »

hi all,

moose, one of your moderators here.  more and more, the railfan live steam boards are being discovered by some of the veterans in the hobby...great!  we're glad you've decided join us!   mentoring is a way of life for us...and we hope it will prove rewarding for you as well.   our beginners can certainly use your experiences and guiding hand.  here are some helpful hints that will aid you as you interact with our community:

1.  this is a family place, please keep all language to what you would use with your own wives and daughters.   you DON'T want me calling your families and talking like that!  

2.  no flame-outs or flame-wars.....period!  if you have a differing opinion on process or materials, make it known in a respectful manner.

3.  we are here to guide young folk into the hobby, not shoo them away.  some of the younger members get overly into what we are doing.  be respectful and carefully guide them into being the kind of live steamer we all want for a best friend.  in other words, be a mentor!

4.  if you are part of an active club that would like a place to show what they doing...great!  start a thread with their name, just make sure they want it here.

5.  if you start a thread, know this, topical threads with no technical project or technical merit will be locked in time and later deleted.  if you have a project under construction, by all means, post it with a descriptive title that will make it easy peak someone's interest and easy to find.  there are too many boards out there where a single engine or car project is spread out over multiple threads...PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!  live steam information is fleeting, keep it all together so it can all be found!  recap?  technical stays, topical leaves.

6.  moderating is a volunteer job, we'd all rather be in the shop!  make life easier for us...walk a mile in the other guy's shoes before commenting.  many of the posters on this board talk almost as much on the twisted pair as we do here.   we hope in time that you will be part of that as well.  

7.  more about threads.  if you have  generic comment or photo to upload, look for a thread just for that type of equipment.  example - electrical stuff should be posted in 'electric loco land', gas-mechanical/gas-haudrualic should be posted in 'gasoline alley' unless it is a specific build-project then just create a descriptive thread.  from that point on, everything should be uploaded to that particular thread, not placed in a new thread...it's just that simple!

8.  while i wish every project could be about steam locos, this board is about more than that.  if you've built a steam engine, what else have you done?

9.  lastly, (well, so far, lol!) while we all wish money wasn't a deciding factor in the live steam hobby, even a purist should be able to offer cogent and practical advice to get someone on the road to starting and completing their project.  you'll hear us talk about chequebook modelers and roundhouse queens, if you think you qualify for either of those titles, shed them by becoming a builder...it's a heck of a lot of fun!

well, that'll do it for now.  if you still want to be part of the community after reading the above, hang on, it's a hell of a ride!

moose the caboose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 11:41pm »

George,

Thankyou so much for your very thoughtfull comments. I could not agree with you more.

As the guy that asked the "owner" of this site if we could have a live steam forum here, and create this kind of "may hem" I would like to add my two cents here. BTW, I'm not as politically correct as my dear friend "moose" is.

This is a friendly live steam/ride on scale forum. Thats the way the "owner" of the entire site wants it. And the two live steam moderators aim to keep it that way. No bad mouthing of people, family members, as I have been subjected to on another web site, or their respective workmanship. Expierience is something that is gained and shared by REAL live steam "gentlemen".  Shared, I might add, without arrogance.

Topic shifting to some degree always happens. But if there is a blatant drop off of a topic to engraciate ones self, regardless of what the main topic of a certain thread is, the off topic posts will be eliminated.  

Here I would like to quote to good friends, one thankfully still with us, one who has gone on to his eternal reward. Both of these quotes refer directly to the live steam hobby and how we all should act, treat each other and appreciate people other than ourselves.

" We used to practice live steam etiquette". So true. Why did this practice disapear? (WJ)
   " None of us in the live steam hobby knows everything, yet all of us know something" (JC)

These two comments were from two "live steam gentlemen". These simple phases are what guide the moderators on this site. If a disagreement cannot be settled in a gentlemanly fashion on open post, then there are other mechanisms built into this site for one to vent to another poster. Without flameing on open posts.

Lastly, we are here to enjoy the "hobby". And for most of us, it must be remembered that it is a HOBBY.  

Bruce  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 4:39pm »

hi all,

in recent days, a post was made announcing a new commercial resource stream (magazine).  the railfan live steam board has not and will not endorse any particular commercial resource stream over another without instruction from the forum operator(henry).    first, it's not fair to henry, nor to the hobby's other resources.  there are acceptable ways to introduce both for-profit and not-for-profit resource streams to our community.  it would be a good idea to contact a moderator prior to posting...something to think about in the future.  the poster in question did so with honest intentions, but sometimes, good intentions lead us a stray.  the logical place to put materials concerning resource streams on this board is the "EDUMAKASHUN" thread.  as a way of introducing the new or found resource stream, it's perfectly fine to talk about the focus, quality, and frequency.  it MUST NOT BE an infomercial.  it must stand on it's own as a source...it may not beg for subscriber sales,  sales of adspace, offer products for sale or present itself here as railfan's endorsed online gazette.  it may offer a weblink for those seeking additional information.

if you are a contributing author to such a resource stream, it is also perfectly fine to talk about your contribution so long as you don't violate the terms given you by the resource stream (publisher).  your shown intention must be the presentation of your material for educational purposes and have relevance to our target audience.  you MAY NOT post text, pictures, graphics, or photocopies of or from the original resource pages.  that constitutes a violation of publishers' copyrights.  you may post your unsubmitted and unpublished works...but know that once on the web, no-one will want to put them in print.

NOTICE!   NOTICE!   NOTICE!   NOTICE!   NOTICE!  

ALL SUCH RESOURCE POSTINGS ARE SUBJECT TO MODERATOR SCRUTINY!

the railfan live steam board isn't a free classified, we are a teaching medium.  it is perfectly fine to recall specific project or resource listings that will aid with a query or project by your fellow posters.

fair enough?

moose of your moderator team

SnG42
TRAINing
View Profile  

Bartow_his_train_THE_GOLDEN_ROCKET_1949.jpg - 211459 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2009, 10:49pm »

Moose:  Do you have a "Lost and Found" or "Wanted" forum anywhere? A friend is looking for a steam engine in 7.5" built by her grandfather in 1949. It was made in Dothan, Alabama and last seen in Orlando,Florida 35 years ago. How would I get a notice posted? New forum?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (211459 bytes, 1200x949 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Bartow_his_train_THE_GOLDEN_ROCKET_1949.jpg - 211459 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 9:31pm »

hi all,

sng42:  in a word, no, we don't have a set of threads for wanted or for sale equipment  sorry!  there are other forums that make that 'service' available.  our primary focus is on teaching and encouraging others to get into the hobby/learn additional skills.  but you've shown us an area that we haven't covered with a thread...live steam legacy equipment.  quite a few of us have a soft spot in our hearts for the equipment of the pioneers of our hobby.  we've showcased it in some individual threads, but perhaps we need a 'have you seen me' thread.  i'm on an early schedule, so i'm try to get to it tomorrow.  many thanks.  keep checking us out!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2009, 7:17pm »

SnG42 & George,
At the risk of going W A Y off topic, perhaps a few inquiries to the FLS might generate an answer to the question posed.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »