Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 4:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

How can I get started in live steam?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   How can I get started in live steam?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: How can I get started in live steam?  (Read 2143 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: How can I get started in live steam?

« Reply #40 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 4:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

to railrunner:  sorry kid, ain't nothing for free.  this hobby is about blood, sweat, tears, frustration and perserverance, then joy.  your profile says 19, but your voicing here says younger.  you want in this hobby as a live steamer, you are going to work for it.   long time live steamer and gentleman, e. yoder once told an aquaintance of mine to get a 1 gallon pickle jar and fill it up with the change from his pockets every night.  this aquaintance wanted an engine so bad, he also mowed lawns on weekends adding those funds to the jar.  when the jar was full, he took it back to mr yoder, then he and mr yoder built his engine.  as the money was used up, mr yoder again suggested that he keep filling it with his loose change.  when the jar had been refilled again, the engine was complete and he had enough money to build a train for it to pull.

so my friend, i pass along mr yoders' sound advice...get a 1 gallon pickle or mayonnaise jar and start working to fill it.  while you are at it, a piece of advice from me...find a live steam club in your area (there are 2 near denver) and serve an apprenticeship with them (be there on work days and learn well what they have to teach you).  want to stay in the smaller scales?  the advice remains the same, you can't learn when you aren't there and prepared to accept what you are taught.   live steam locomotives can be dangerous when handled incorrectly.  ride on scales can be equally dangerous even without the steam hazards present.  they don't call it 'hernia gauge' for nothing.

i started this post saying ain't nothing for free...i'm of the opinion that if you don't work for it, you won't appreciate or take care of it.  the folks posting on this particular live steam board  are generally, builders.  that is to say the we love to build our own equipment.  whether it's a couple hundred hours in a caboose or hundreds upon hundreds of hours in trackwork or thousands of hours in a steam locomotive, part of yourself is in it.  there's not a feeling in the world like it when you see something you crafted rolling down the tracks or see somebody else's equipment rolling flawlessly down the tracks that you built and maintained.  i hope that in time, you'll find what we have found...respect from other builders because of shared toils.  sometimes, in these threads, you'll see where we have 'gifted' something to our friends here on railfan....think about this, they earned it through selfless acts of hard work, long hours, and kind acts!  

for now, funnel your energy into something more precious than anything you could put in your hands, in your pockets, or in your room....your education.  education about your world in general, about mathmatics specifically and about your future definitely.  to be in this hobby, you will need all that.  when you work hard towards a goal, it will happen.

it may not sound like what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

moose

on Jun 6th, 2010, 10:23pm, railrunner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i need a free live steam k-28 drgw 473 bumblebee

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #41 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 10:04pm »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 10:40pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'd have to paint mine, though, they look like a flange wheeled school bus. Greg B.

Greg,  sorry to here you don't like that paint job.  I do.  I bought one.

Tom C.

PS mine is S scale.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 3:07pm »

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and to large scale railroading as well. But I am learning more every day thanks to the various forums on the subject matter found on the web.  

I am currently buying a 7 1/2" Guage Loco chassis and 2 gon bodies that I found on Dicover Live Steam in the text want / for sale adds. So on that note would like to echo what many have said about checking the DLS adds. I got this package for a song allowing me a cheaper initial start into the hobby. But it will still be some time before I am running as there is still much to be purchased and in time (shorter amount at this point) will be there.

What I have learned in just the 2 days here on Railfan and few days on the other forums has changed how I have chosen to go about my project and goals. At first I was going to have someone build the chassis up for me, but thanks to what I have learned and am continueing to learn have changed that plan. I now plan to build it up myself as I have built a repore with not only the original designer of the loco but the current builder of the loco to where I have a source for parts. Again this is all thanks to DLS and the online forums like here on Railfan. As many have said this stuff aint cheap and if you can learn how to do it yourself the better base you will have. This formula has worked well for me in most of my activities in life. Plus as an added bonus by doing it yourself you can do it as you have the money.  

Ok not trying to sound like a know it all . Just figured as a newbie would try to share insight for other newbies .

Jason

P.S. The Locomotive is a critter type loco, a modified Eaton Huskie.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 5:51pm »

hi all,

jay:  first of all, welcome to the railfan live steam board!  as you indicated, you've spent some time going through some of the threads here.  don't stop there,  even the earliest threads have something to teach.  congrats on your 'find'!  when you jump in, you do it with both feet don't cha!

well, you're off to a good start...you've hooked up with the builder(s) of your equipment.  treat them like a treasure...'cause they are.  the next thing you should do is hook up with some of the old timers out there on the west coast...they too, are treasures.  from them you will learn what we here like to term 'live steam etiquette'.  first, it means giving respect to those who've earned it by their patience, workmanship, and selflessness.  secondly, it means keeping situational awareness of yourself, your equipment, and the operating conditions of any railroad you visit.  if you go back and look at the 'unmeet 2010' thread, you'll notice the large reunion class of live steamers that were started by just two live steam gentlemen from the largo central rr group.  'mentoring' is something done from the heart, not the chequebook.  that's the type of person you need to find, listen to, and emulate...that's how you become one of them.  in time, you'll see what i mean and why i say it the way i do.

you'll no doubt read my 'tirades' on chequebook modelers.  too often, these are the people who throw money at a situation and not understand what they are doing.  taking a trackman's prespective, too often some of those folks blame the track for problems when it is their equipment that is to be faulted.  if everybody else's equipment operates on the trackwork with no problems...well...a gentleman checks his own equipment and then checks with the railroad personnel for design differences.  for instance, if your flanges are 'square', don't take a chance on harming someone else's track profile.  believe me, from having to listen to someone who thought their equipment was perfect when they were shaving 'threads' of aluminum from the rail.  if you even have just the faintest glimmer that your equipment may not be up to par, get help.  if you are traveling, it generally means someone will open their shop and help you fix the problem.  that's what being a live steam gentleman means.  when it is all said and done, that's the type of person that i like to go visit and have fellowship with.  so be forewarned, you're gonna have visitors at some point in the future!

when you are a little more comfortable here, we'll help you create a thread of your own to post your work in.  we try hard not to start a new thread for each piece of a project...makes it too hard to follow and retrieve.

moose

on Jul 18th, 2010, 3:07pm, fresnojay wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and to large scale railroading as well. But I am learning more every day thanks to the various forums on the subject matter found on the web.  

I am currently buying a 7 1/2" Guage Loco chassis and 2 gon bodies that I found on Dicover Live Steam in the text want / for sale adds. So on that note would like to echo what many have said about checking the DLS adds. I got this package for a song allowing me a cheaper initial start into the hobby. But it will still be some time before I am running as there is still much to be purchased and in time (shorter amount at this point) will be there.

What I have learned in just the 2 days here on Railfan and few days on the other forums has changed how I have chosen to go about my project and goals. At first I was going to have someone build the chassis up for me, but thanks to what I have learned and am continueing to learn have changed that plan. I now plan to build it up myself as I have built a repore with not only the original designer of the loco but the current builder of the loco to where I have a source for parts. Again this is all thanks to DLS and the online forums like here on Railfan. As many have said this stuff aint cheap and if you can learn how to do it yourself the better base you will have. This formula has worked well for me in most of my activities in life. Plus as an added bonus by doing it yourself you can do it as you have the money.  

Ok not trying to sound like a know it all . Just figured as a newbie would try to share insight for other newbies .

Jason

P.S. The Locomotive is a critter type loco, a modified Eaton Huskie.

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #44 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 6:15pm »

Moose,

I am by no means done reading the threads. Alot of them are entertaining as they are informative. I in fact had read the thread where you mention the flange issue damaging the track. Where I work I have ALOT of downtime to read and so forth so there is no shortage of liturature on these forums .  

I have recently visited a "Private" (Bitter Creek Western) railroad and met the owner and several of the regulars including some of the old timers that were all to willing to share what they knew. My only wish was that I had more than one day to spend there. Everyone there wished I had too. While there I had helped a gentleman from AZ unload his equipment and as it turned out he knew the person I was buying my loco and cars from. Next thing I knew he offered to let me take out his little electric loco (similair to the Huskie) out on the track and give my kids a ride. I was as much excited as I was scared. He gave me a lesson on operating the loco as well as signal procedures and meanings. Then off I went with him tailing me in his other consist. That totally hooked me and cemented me from here on out. The kids are totally there now too.

Needless to say I plan on making many future trips back to help work on and run on the RR. I also look forward to learning as much as I can. That is another thing that most of them there also said. Listen and learn, seems to be a common thread .

Jason

Jib228
Chaser

« Reply #45 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 2:35pm »

So I may have posted here long ago, but what the heck, I'll say something new.  

So for the longest time I have wanted to get in to larger scales of model railroading, such as 7.5 in gauge. Over the last two summers I had the great chance to visit and operate on a 7.5" gauge railroad, the White Creek Railroad. Now I didn't have any of my own equipment, but I was lucky to get crewed with fellow railroaders who where kind enough to let me take a try at theirs. I even got my hands on a nice little coal fired 2-6-0 and was told I did one heck of a job running it. And it was a blast. I even got my buddy, James, and my girlfriend to tag along last time and they both had a blast.

Now for the part Im unsure if this is the right area to post in.

James and I have been looking into getting our own locomotive. First we looked at different web sites for used equipment. But no luck there, most of what we found has been out of our price range. Then we got to thinking, and I did a little math. For about $1000 I figured we could build our own locomotive.

The idea is to use a 25cc or larger weed-whip motor to turn an alternator. That would keep the charge in a battery that would be used to power one powered axle. Latter on down the road we would add a second one, starting at $450 Plum Grove has the powered axle that we plan on using. The locomotive would be based on a GE 25 tonner called Mighty Mouse used at the Michigan Steam Railroading Institute to move Pere Marquette 1225.

We are only looking to move a few cars, the most would be 2 crew cars, and 5 freight cars. But we would most likely take less. And maybe do yard switching.

My real question is this, dose this sound like a good idea? Is a little weed-whip motor enough?

If this inst on the HO boards, then some one threw the wrong turnout on me.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 4:47pm »

Jib228,

Going back more than three years to my reply to you #34, I believe the same information holds true today. You've made a good start in this hobby. Now, as then, its up to you to continue.  
And if you once again read reply #36 from 'moose the caboose', George, T., all of his advise to you has stood the test of time. Its just as good information today as it was more than three years ago.  

I do believe we have covered this particular subject before, and came up with the same conclusions now as we did back in June of 2009. Yea, I sure do re-read these posts so that we do not duplicate the same information, over and over again.

Jib228
Chaser
  230656_2096710901349_429402_n.jpg - 107176 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 10:33pm »

Oh it dose, and I have been following it. When I first got to White Creek, the first person I talked to was the owner. He was working the yard getting ready for a car card op session that I had asked to attend and was allowed to. He showed me around the railroad, taught me how to work the signals and switches. He even taught me how to run his big electric Dash 9. Then when he was done running for the evening, he was kind enough to let me take out a tiny 4 wheel Mighty Mac on my own. Then through out the weekend I was crewed with others on their train's.  Over all my first weekend there was a blast, and why I went back for two more weekends.

It was on my second visit to WCRR that I met up with a few of the guys I had met the first time. They had the 4-6-0 and said I could ride with them. As the day went on the engineer asked Alex, one of the guys I know form WCRR and the Detroit Model Railroad Club, if he wanted a turn running the locomotive. After about a hour I was asked if I wanted a turn. Boy was that fun. I still have soot in my hat from that.

Now last winter I was invited to another railroad, one much closer to my house. I have yet to make it there, but I do plan on going there next summer if possible. WCRR is about 2 hours form my home, while Mill Creek (I think its that one, I'll have to talk to the guy who invited me) is supposed to be closer.

As for what Moose said "don't try to build your masterpiece as so many others have tried without having built steppingstone models first."

That's what Im aiming for with building a small simple switcher. Ive been working with a former electrical engineer, and large scale railroader learning a lot about wiring. He has even told James and I that we can all ways ask him for any advice on building any thing. My money issues have been taken care of as I now have not one but 2 jobs.

James and I have been talking for all most a year about ether buying or building some thing. And we came up with a simple design that wont break the bank. We both have plenty of know how when it comes to working with machinery, and building things. James was talking with the owner and a few other people at WCRR about him and I coming up on workdays and helping with track work. There where a few times at each meat where we did help diagnose and fix track problems.

Lastly, Ill leave this fun picture. It was taken on the last day at WCRR. We where putting all the cars back in the car barn and I was just taking it easy. Sleeping in the back of a Jeep for 3 nights is rough.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/230656_2096710901349_429402_n.jpg
Click Image to Resize

If this inst on the HO boards, then some one threw the wrong turnout on me.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 10:00pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 10:33pm, Jib228 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Oh it dose, and I have been following it. When I first got to White Creek, the first person I talked to was the owner. He was working the yard getting ready for a car card op session that I had asked to attend and was allowed to. He showed me around the railroad, taught me how to work the signals and switches. He even taught me how to run his big electric Dash 9. Then when he was done running for the evening, he was kind enough to let me take out a tiny 4 wheel Mighty Mac on my own. Then through out the weekend I was crewed with others on their train's.  Over all my first weekend there was a blast, and why I went back for two more weekends.

It was on my second visit to WCRR that I met up with a few of the guys I had met the first time. They had the 4-6-0 and said I could ride with them. As the day went on the engineer asked Alex, one of the guys I know form WCRR and the Detroit Model Railroad Club, if he wanted a turn running the locomotive. After about a hour I was asked if I wanted a turn. Boy was that fun. I still have soot in my hat from that.

Now last winter I was invited to another railroad, one much closer to my house. I have yet to make it there, but I do plan on going there next summer if possible. WCRR is about 2 hours form my home, while Mill Creek (I think its that one, I'll have to talk to the guy who invited me) is supposed to be closer.

As for what Moose said "don't try to build your masterpiece as so many others have tried without having built steppingstone models first."

That's what Im aiming for with building a small simple switcher. Ive been working with a former electrical engineer, and large scale railroader learning a lot about wiring. He has even told James and I that we can all ways ask him for any advice on building any thing. My money issues have been taken care of as I now have not one but 2 jobs.

James and I have been talking for all most a year about ether buying or building some thing. And we came up with a simple design that wont break the bank. We both have plenty of know how when it comes to working with machinery, and building things. James was talking with the owner and a few other people at WCRR about him and I coming up on workdays and helping with track work. There where a few times at each meat where we did help diagnose and fix track problems.

Lastly, Ill leave this fun picture. It was taken on the last day at WCRR. We where putting all the cars back in the car barn and I was just taking it easy. Sleeping in the back of a Jeep for 3 nights is rough.

jib228:  nice to see you posting again!   since you have a question concerning a fractional gasoline engine, how about posting it is the 'gasoline alley' thread?!  that'll put it where it needs to go and it give me an opportunity to talk to you about power...and about how much you are going to need.

moose

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »