Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 10:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31811 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
  IMG_2622_854x569.jpg - 98607 Bytes
« Reply #920 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 12:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A test fit of the trucks on the frame.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2622_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_2624_854x569.jpg - 85528 Bytes
« Reply #921 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 12:07pm »

side view,and last pic for today.  The 12" to the foot  just called.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2624_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #922 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 7:50pm »

Man, that is looking good. I guess the "tendgola" is close to retirement??
It sure did serve the purpose though. Allowed you and everybody else to run the wheels hot on your "mike".

BTW, thanks again for the vid. I've started on editing and posting it. More  spectacular steam-only views soon.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010, 11:01pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #923 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 8:49pm »

UH OH, looks like the man is gettin' serious again..... Rock on, Ray.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #924 on: Apr 8th, 2010, 9:11pm »

Ray,

I certainly don't want to take anything away from your new tender build, but I just went back to Replys 901 and 902. And took a good look at that cylinder that you described to me any number of times over the phone.
   You did one hell of a repair job on it. And, if there are any truely interested live steamers lurking here, and some that recently started to post here, they should give a listen, and put an "eye ball" on your "mike" running on the video from the Steam Only Un-Meet of 2010. That thing is right on the money, as our old friend Ben used to say.
   Thanks to you, Pete and I watched your video last Monday evening. As we watched your "mike" rolling along, Pete looked at me and said, he needs to leave that thing right where it is. its right. Now, you know, thats quite a compliment.

Talk to you soon.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #925 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 7:53am »

Greg , yes it is good to get back in the shop.  The last half of 2009 ,I was busy with non live steam stuff , for lack of a better word.  I am looking forward to the tender fabrication.   Bruce , that's quite a compliment indeed,  and one that means alot to me , because of my lack of experience in the valve motion area.   The raritan has D valves with slip eccentrics, so for almost 30 years , that was my hands on experience in timing.  Very basic and nothing like walschaerts, with piston valves.  I might add ,that there were  many calls to friends in several states including you and Pete, for advice while I was rebuilding the cylinders and timing the mike.   Thanks Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3895_854x569.jpg - 93563 Bytes
« Reply #926 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:08pm »

It's been a while since my last post.    Since my last post I discovered a slight bow and twist in the tender frame from to much heat at one time.  I was stumped for  a while , on what to do.   With the frame problem holding me up, I just left it lay for a while.  Many hours were spent  thinking about ways to resolve my problem, while at the coal mine flying around the loop, loading  the coal train at a blistering  .25 mph.  at that speed you can load one in about 5 hours on average.  You can actually count each piece of ballast at that speed.  I finally came up with a plan.  I used the press to remove the bow , and then cut the bolsters off of the frame , then rewelded them back in there original places .   When I welded them back on, I kept them true to each other.  This is how I am going to deal with the slight twist that remains.  It is almost 3/16ths difference from one end to the other over a length of  53 inches.  You would probably have never  known  it, if I did not tell you.  It really bugs  me that the twist is still there , but it was this or  make another frame.   It's just not bad enough to warrant that.  So here are some pics ,of the frame  upon the trucks behind the engine with one side sheet  in place just to check the fit.  I had to lengthen the stand to hold the tender also.  In the next week I hope to attach the end sills, and I need to weld the coupler pocket.   Then I will start welding the side sheets on.   I was going to spray the inside of the tank with truck bed liner , but have decided to fabricate a stainless tank insert instead. A little long winded , but just wanted to catch you up on the project.  Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3895_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2010, 12:04am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3899_854x569.jpg - 71160 Bytes
« Reply #927 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:14pm »

next five pics are just different  angles of the engine and tender.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3899_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3903_854x569.jpg - 74955 Bytes
« Reply #928 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:16pm »

another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3903_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3913_854x569.jpg - 80948 Bytes
« Reply #929 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:18pm »

another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3913_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3914_854x569.jpg - 95440 Bytes
« Reply #930 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:19pm »

side view

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3914_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_3916_854x569.jpg - 85236 Bytes
« Reply #931 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:20pm »

last pic for tonight.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_3916_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #932 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:45pm »

Ray,
Great to see your tender coming together!  It is going to be a beaut!
About the twist in your tender frame, I'm sure that amount won't hurt anything.  But--if it still bugs you, I have a suggestion:
1. Lay the frame on the driveway, bottom up.
2. Park your truck with one of the front tires sitting on one end of the frame.
3. Put a 1X2 block under the "low" corner of the other end of the frame, by lifting the frame with a crowbar.
4. Administer "tender" loving blows to the "high" corner with an 8 lb sledge hammer (or jump up and down on it!), until the frame is un-twisted.
Good Luck!

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:49pm by Dan Watson » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #933 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 12:08am »

Thanks Dan,  I will have to leave it as is since the bolsters are welded  on already .  The truck would have certainly been a good  way to hold it down . Ray III

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #934 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 10:16am »

on Dec 5th, 2010, 11:08pm, SteamHeaton wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 I was going to spray the inside of the tank with truck bed liner , but have decided to fabricate a stainless tank insert instead. Ray III

Ray,

Your thought on why you decieded to not go with bed liner.  I have my tender to do and thought that would be good but friends say no, Go Stainless.  

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #935 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 3:55pm »

Tom C.    I have used a asphalt based mobile home roof sealant for years on the raritan, infact it is still in the tender today. Thats applied to a 16 gauge steel tender body, for 18 years now. I did have to reapply a dab or 2 over the years , but for the most part it has served me well.   A friend of mine was building a new engine and told me he was going to have a commercial bed liner  [Linex] spayed in his tender.  He did and was told by the company applying it, that there was some trouble getting a good coat of the material in the corners.  It leaked  in the corners and  he was told to put windshield sealant in the corners, it worked for awhile and started to leak again.  I do not want to deal with that. I can probably fab a stainless tank for close to what he had in his  spray in liner. He also said he will make a stainless  insert for his next engine.   Ray III

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2010, 4:19pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #936 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 4:17pm »

Things you know, Ray; Warps, twists, crooks and kinks, it's merely metal. With the deft application of heat and hammer, it all comes out in the wash....

It looks plenty good, from here.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #937 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 8:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ray, it is looking good. It is kind of bitter sweet.......the thought of the end of the famous "tendola" (pat. pend.)  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #938 on: Dec 7th, 2010, 7:26am »

W O W, that tender is a bit longer than I realized. Even after our many phone conversations, for some reason, I did'nt think it was that long. Looks like your makeing good progress. And yes, the "tendgola" sure did serve the purpose. While the critics sat on the side lines and critizied, you were out there running. FOR DAYS ON END. Screw them and their magazine articles!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see you at the Un-Meet.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #939 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 12:21am »

Hello, It's time to blow the dust off of this thread.  I have been slowly chipping away at the tender.  I have just under 4 weeks until the eagle point fall meet, and I hope to have the tender  behind the engine in time .   I now have both end sills finished and attached.  rear coupler pocket is finished with coupler bolted on. the front sill is ready for the drawbar.  Tonight  I began welding the  small 1/2" angle to top and bottom of the side sheets. The bottom angle will then be welded to the tender deck, and the top one will support the tender lid .    I hope to make it to the sheet metal shop,  early next week to talk to them about  my stainless steel water tank insert.  A call to Connie for the  tender  numbers is on my list of things to do .  Not sure which way to go vinyl or a paint mask.  I am going to number the engine  1599.  The only IC  mike I could find with a delta truck was the 1598.  I hope to make a hodges truck some day , but if I dont it will be the imaginary sister to the 1598.  LOL.    I will post some pics of the progress tomorrow .  Ray III      

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011, 12:22am by SteamHeaton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »