Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 32181 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON

« Reply #900 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:14am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Bobby,   I was holding my breath.   I did not have time to take the engine to Decatur for a test run after the cylinder rebuild, before heading down to eagle point railroad   I had to hone the liner, and turn the piston down.    The print called for  cast iron liner and a brass piston.  A bronze liner and a aluminum piston were used.  It looked like the  piston expanded and galled  against the liner causing the grooves.   We only ran for  2 hours on friday due to the weather and slick rail conditions, temps were in the mid to low 40's with drizzle. Then you add 2 and 3 percent grades.    Duncan and I double headed and had our hands full with just his three coaches.  I was pleased to not hear any whistle sounds on friday. Then on saturday we fired up early, as it was suppose to rain again in the afternoon.   The mike was fired up for a little over 6 hours.  It did whistle for about  2 or 3 minutes early in the morning but went away. It never did it again and  was working hard enough and  long enough to hopefully expose any problems. Time will tell.   It ran great and sounded great.    Ray III

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009, 11:10am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_1490_811x540.jpg - 33314 Bytes
« Reply #901 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:35am »

Bobby here is a pic of the liner before I honed it.   Both sides had grooves, only the cylinders, the valves were fine.  Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_1490_811x540.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_1502_811x540.jpg - 32168 Bytes
« Reply #902 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:36am »

after it was cleaned up

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_1502_811x540.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #903 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 10:14am »

Ray,
I'll look forward to seeing your videos.  Hopefully the videographer on the back of train wasn't too unsteady.  
My Davenport was also slipping and sliding at the track, and now I'm thinking that working sanders might be a useful addition........however, it doesn't have a hot boiler to keep the sand dry  
Dan

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #904 on: Oct 26th, 2009, 10:34pm »

Dan,

I spoke to Ray last evening. I  can hardly wait to see this vid myself. Its always a pleasure to see a piece of equipment, built by a real craftsman, operating on a challenging track. And being shared with other "real live steamers".

BTW, when can we expect you down in the wilds of N. Ft. Myers, Fl. ?

Bruce

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #905 on: Oct 26th, 2009, 11:36pm »

Bruce,
I'm shooting for the 2010 un-meet.  Doubt I can get down there before that.
Dan

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009, 11:37pm by Dan Watson » Logged
ng_2-4-2
Chaser

« Reply #906 on: Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:39pm »

Ray,
Hard to believe it's less than four months until the winter meets down here in sunny Florida.  I am planning to go to Larry Smith's on Nov. 13,14,15 for his fall meet.  I  am planning to take vacation in February so I can attend the unmeet for at least 2 days.
Bobby T,
I still live and work in Miami.  My retirement home is a few blocks from Alabama and Milwaukee.  I go up there at least twice a month.  Hopefully more often during the winter.  I hope to start coming over to Buckingham at least once a month.
Bill

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #907 on: Nov 4th, 2009, 9:54pm »

Bill, Yes Feb will be here before we know it.  I'm looking forward to seeing you at Pete's.  I am also planning on going to Largo the sat and sun before the un-meet.  Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_1676_854x569.jpg - 82001 Bytes
« Reply #908 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 12:13am »

It's been a while ,since my last post on this thread.   The work that I did on the cylinders, seems to have solved the problems.  I ran the engine for a day and a half at eagle point in oct, then  an entire week of running at BCRR un-meet 2010.  The tendgola made an encore appearance at un-meet 2010, I planned on the tender being done for the meet, but  that was not the case.  Yes I've heard it is" functional yet tacky", with my plastic bucket for coal and a tupperware for water, but it has served me well.  The next set of pics are of the tender frame construction. The first pic is the tender frame parts, ready for assembly. just this  one pic tonite more tomorrow. Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_1676_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2010, 12:15am by SteamHeaton » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #909 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 5:42am »

Ray,

After seeing you AND everybody else run your engine at the spectacular
2010 Un-Meet, I would'nt give a damn what some "a$$ olds" in the hobby these days have to say about your engine or your workmanship. I just hope they get a good look at the video that will be posted this week.

Looking forward to watching the tender come together.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #910 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 8:26am »

Ray, I found a pic of you at Bill Kosters. It's in the November, 1984, Live Steam on page 60.

Don't take any heed of the tendgola cracks. You know who's just teasing and who's being a curmudgeon. The hobby is rife with curmudgeons who have never built anything more complex than a peanut butter sandwich and are totally clueless about what it takes just to make the wheels go 'round.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #911 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 11:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg - LOL  

Ray, you had a choice to either sit in a chair and tell the world your opinion of how things should be built or run, or you could do whatever it took to get on the rails and run. You chose to run....and run well. You are an excellent builder, but lets face it, you are a Live Steamer first and foremost.

Looking forward to the tender updates.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #912 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 6:35pm »

hi all,

ray: i really can't add any more than what's already been said, but i will add this...you build equipment that runs until the cows come home and then some.  there are those that would benefit from your example...test it, run it, prove it and then and only then, make it pretty.  too many in our hobby build for pretty, first, and operational...well, somewhere down the road.  you know my feelings about 'roundhouse queens' and the machines that get out there to 'pull the barn down'.  i've never heard of or seen you build something that didn't function as intended.  the barns you've pulled down are legendary!

you know where i'm headed and you know that i'm going to enjoy everything you post on the mike and its tender...keep up the good work.

moose  

on Apr 5th, 2010, 12:13am, SteamHeaton  

wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's been a while ,since my last post on this thread.   The work that I did on the cylinders, seems to have solved the problems.  I ran the engine for a day and a half at eagle point in oct, then  an entire week of running at BCRR un-meet 2010.  The tendgola made an encore appearance at un-meet 2010, I planned on the tender being done for the meet, but  that was not the case.  Yes I've heard it is" functional yet tacky", with my plastic bucket for coal and a tupperware for water, but it has served me well.  The next set of pics are of the tender frame construction. The first pic is the tender frame parts, ready for assembly. just this  one pic tonite more tomorrow. Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #913 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 10:41am »

Thanks guys,  Bruce you  know better than most, the joy of sharing your engine with other live steamers or future live steamers. That very gesture is how most of us were bitten with this bug.  Greg you are right about the PBJ.  Besides this tupperware was like having a pennsy coast to coast tender. I looked through my live steam collection and I do not have that issue. I was 17 that year, that was  close to the end of Bill Koster's track in Homestead FL.   Bobby like you said before , necessity was the mother of this  invention, just days before the un-meet 09.    George , now that the debugging is complete , for the most part.  It is going to be fun putting the ginger bread on, so it looks like a I.C. mike     Ray III

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010, 10:14pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #914 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 11:56am »

The steel for the tender and aux tender was cut about  2 years ago and set aside. This past sept I started to assemble the parts.  I now have the frame welded together, the side sheets, that were cut out and all rivet holes cnc drilled by Duncan H.  Now have over 800 rivets installed,just for looks.  The trucks are almost finished, all that is needed is the installation of 4 allen head screws on each end of each bolster ,  a spring will sit on each screw , and the screw will keep the spring in position.  The print called for  elliptical springs on the andrews trucks, but the IC used coil springs.  This is not so much rivet counting as it is an easier and less expensive route. The trucks came with the engine , it would have been easier to buy a set already put together , but I have never  machined a set of trucks , from start to finish. I figured this would be a great time to jump in and learn. I turned to my friends in Decatur,  they were glad to help and in just 5 saturday afternoons,  a box of castings were a rolling pair of trucks.  I had pics of the machining that took place in Decatur on the side frames and bolsters, but  I dropped an sd card out of my camera bag, which was found several days later after it had rained . The pics of the bolsters, and side frames in the mill were lost  unfortunately.  I do have pics of the  wheels and axles  becoming 1.  I learned so much in those 5 saturdays, Tim J [alcosteam] did the bulk of the work explaining all the way and letting me get my hands dirty on each operation .  A huge thanks goes out to  my friends in Decatur. Ray III

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2010, 9:34am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_1678_854x569.jpg - 81804 Bytes
« Reply #915 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 11:57am »

the beginning of the tender.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_1678_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_2618_854x569.jpg - 54066 Bytes
« Reply #916 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 11:58am »

axle in raw form

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2618_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_2620_854x569.jpg - 66998 Bytes
« Reply #917 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 12:00pm »

Tim J checking the axle before the next cut.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2620_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_2621_854x569.jpg - 39289 Bytes
« Reply #918 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 12:01pm »

one end of one axle

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2621_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  IMG_2616_854x569.jpg - 65545 Bytes
« Reply #919 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 12:03pm »

All wheels done , and one wheel set together. These were heated and slid on instead of pressing them on.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_2616_854x569.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »