Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 5:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 32163 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
  100_5043_806x605.jpg - 29446 Bytes
« Reply #880 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

pic shows me holding the new tool. this one is  3/4"

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_5043_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_5041_806x605.jpg - 26305 Bytes
« Reply #881 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:15pm »

pic shows the 3 tools that were made. They all started out as box end wrenches, that I welded to a rod and then cut open to fit around the exhaust line. I could not measure the actual nut.  So I went off the print , and it showed a 7/8 comp nut.  This one was too big.  the next one I made was 3/4 and it seemed too small, so I made another one  13/16, it was too big also.  I then realized the 3/4 was not lined up properly the first time. Remember this is all done by feel , I cannot see this nut.  So the 3/4  worked great, I hope this does the trick.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_5041_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:37pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_5040_604x805.jpg - 39200 Bytes
« Reply #882 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:17pm »

pic shows the actual working space I had.  I am pointing to the end of the 3/4"  tool,which I used a 11/16 wrench to turn it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_5040_604x805.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_5038_604x805.jpg - 37715 Bytes
« Reply #883 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:27pm »

last pic for tonight, is a closer view of the last pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_5038_604x805.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #884 on: Jul 13th, 2009, 7:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Necessity is the mother of invention! That is a pretty darn neat tool Ray! Well done.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #885 on: Jul 13th, 2009, 9:26pm »

DAMN!!!!!!! I sure hope you don't have to do this twice!!!!!!

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #886 on: Jul 14th, 2009, 5:20am »

thanks Bobby , and you are so right.    Bruce I hope not also.    Ray III

Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #887 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 8:08pm »

Nice solution Ray, hope it works out for you.  Has the front truck been behaving itself since the repairs at the unmeet?

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #888 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:43am »

Thanks Bobby , Bruce, and Justin.   I hope it works..    Justin yes the front truck seems to be working fine.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:37pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #889 on: Jul 29th, 2009, 7:11pm »

For all of those folks that followed along with Ray through all of the steps to build this quite large boiler, here is that same boiler producing steam.  
These shots were taken at the track of Kenny Davis in north central Illinois, early April,then again in June, '09'.  
I think, as the video shows, "steamheaton" did a fine job of constructing this boiler. He also did what most REAL live steamers do. At the end of the video, Ray hands off the new mike to Andrew, a young up and coming live steamer. Who seems to be doing a good job of running BTW.

Sorry for the poor quality of the vid.

I hope everyone that followed this boiler building saga enjoys this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FceAAWYA-w

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #890 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 8:38am »

Ray - great job on the loco.  She sounds great.  Can't wait to see it again (maybe next year at the Unmeet?).  On a side note, was that a cerian Rutland 10-wheeler that make a special guest appearance in the video for just a moment?  Keep up the great work!  Can't wait until I can polish the high iron with my steamer.

Don

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #891 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 11:37pm »

Thanks bobby, your right about necessity being the mother of inventions.   Justin, it was great to see you at the train festival. The front truck has been working fine since the repair at the un-meet.  Don , yes that is the ten wheeler that Pete built.  Bruce, as we now know the exhaust line was not the only problem.  I should have it back together  this week and hope to test run it next friday.  I found some grooves in both cylinder liners .  This  must have been the cause for the whistle sound.  I might have to make some new  pistons, just not sure yet.    Ray III

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #892 on: Aug 20th, 2009, 9:44am »

Ray,

With your apparent skills, and the deep well of knowledge at your disposal, I have no worries that the mike will be in top running form in time for the next un-meet. But please feel free to post some photo's of teh cylinder rebuild. I am sure most would find it interesting and some might learn something too.

ng_2-4-2
Chaser

« Reply #893 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 8:52pm »

Ray,
A lot has happened since I saw you at the un-meet in February.  I bought that house in Lehigh Acres.  I am only about 30 miles from Pete's track.  I moved my lathe and milling machine over there about a month ago.  I still have to work about 2 more years before I can retire.  I've been going over there every other week to mow the lawn and  get the place ready to do some serious train building.  While on ebay a couple of weeks ago I saw a small cnc punching machine.  I ended up buying it.  It will be delivered in a week or so.  If you have drawings for a tender and everything goes ok I should be able to punch out the parts for you.  It sure beats drilling all those rivet holes one at a time.
Bill
(pictures to follow)

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009, 10:34pm by ng_2-4-2 » Logged

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #894 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 1:40pm »

Bill , Great to hear from you.  It sounds like you have been busy at your new house.  That will be great , when you are there full time, and retired.  I have  17 1/2 years  to go.  Thank you  for the  offer on the tender, I already have the side sheets.  They were  cnc punched for me by Duncan Herring.   I  plan on building an auxiliary tender to house the air comp, and tools.   Your help with that  would be great.   I will bring  my plans down to the un-meet 2010.   Ray III

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #895 on: Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:22am »

Bill, What part of Lehigh do you live? I am off of Sunshine Blvd. just North of Lee Blvd.

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #896 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 10:44pm »

I had the opportunity to meet Ray for the first time at the Chattanooga Society of Model Engineers at their Fall Meet.  Very glad to be able to get to know him better.  It was a kinda soggy weekend, and rail adhesion was a problem.  But a great time (at least for me).

Here's a photo from the CSME web site:

Now the really great part:  Ray gave me the opportunity to run his engine!  Wow.  Bigger than anything else I've run, except for Pete's Mohawk.  My hat's off to you, Ray!
Dan

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #897 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 11:09pm »

Dan,

I'm really glad you had the opportunity to meet Ray. I've known him since he was a kid in SE Florida. A REAL "live steam gentleman"  is who you met. And there are'nt too many of them left!!

Hope to see you soon,

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #898 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:45pm »

Dan,  after more than a year of chatting on railfan , it was  great to finally meet you.   The weather was cool and damp/ wet at times . That made the throttle time more challenging , but no less fun.   What a great group of  people, and a beautiful railroad.  A real treasure for live steamers on this side of the country.  The pleasure was all mine when you ran the engine, getting to share the engine  with fellow  live steamers, makes all the work that much more worth it.  I look forward to a double head in the future.  I did not take many pics, but did get some  video from the train , along with the video , you shot for me.  I will try and post some of it in the near future.     Ray III

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #899 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:04am »

Ray, It is obvious from the photo's that you got your cylinder rebuild finished. The question on everyones mind is, did it fix the problem? How did she run?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »