Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 8:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 30990 times)
Southern_PS4
TRAINing
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON

« Reply #820 on: Feb 9th, 2009, 1:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ray,

It’s an exciting time when the boiler and the engine come together for the first time.  Finished or not it will look good with the caboose.

Jerry H.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #821 on: Feb 9th, 2009, 7:43am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Wow, Ray, wow. That is looking great! Congrats, I think I speak for all of us down here when I say we are as excited about your progress as you are. I can't wait to see her steamed up for the first time!

NHI_FIREMAN
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #822 on: Feb 17th, 2009, 11:31pm »

Chrissake Ray you've really outdone yourself!  I can't wait to see some video of this thing running.  Fantastic job!

www.newhoperailroad.com
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #823 on: Feb 18th, 2009, 9:07pm »

Thankyou   Bruce, Jerry H., Bobby, Nhi_fireman.   Thanks to all of my friends here  for the kind words and for, helping me stay motivated , not to mention  the advice and suggestions.  Just a few days , until I leave for florida, and the engine is getting the last few items tended to , in order to have it operable.  I think the engine has logged about 6 or 7 miles on the stand in the last week.  A couple of friends from work are going to help me load the trailer tomorrow.  Ray III

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009, 8:44am by SteamHeaton » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #824 on: Feb 18th, 2009, 9:58pm »

Ray,
Congratulations. I am truely happy for you and wish I was making the trip with you. May the teething problems be very few and easily handled.

Greg B.

PS: George is bustin' his hump gettin' that hack together!

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #825 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 7:18am »

All I can say about this chasis/boiler combination, when seen face to face, is intimidateing. I helped Ray unload the Mike last night when he arrived at the Un-Meet, and it is a brute.

I'll post some pic of this accomplishmnet in the Un-Meet of "09" thread.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #826 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 8:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ray,

Thank you for letting us be a part of her first fire-up! What a strong pulling engine!  

Ray set a bench mark of 16 cars loaded with 18 adults, pulling up and over the 1.7% grade trestle! Not bad for an engine on her maiden runs.  

Congrats Ray.

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #827 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 1:14pm »

Ray,

I just wanted to say that your locomotive is a beast!  Good job.  It was a pleasure meeting you and best of luck in finishing your beauty off.  Can't wait to see you (and your locomotive) again.

Don

pockets
Historian

« Reply #828 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:32am »

Ray,
I'm glad that you were able to have a successful run with the Mike. I can't wait to see it in person. In the mean time, I'll avidly follow the completion of this engine, right here. Please, keep posting your progress.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM2200-2.jpg - 67715 Bytes
« Reply #829 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 9:57pm »

Guys,

I could'nt help myself. I had to post this pic. After we have seen all of the stages of building this boiler, here it is on it's chasis and heading for the main line for the first time with a full head of steam.

Thanks Ray for shareing this special event with all of us during the steam only Un-Meet of '09' at the BCRR. Seeing that engine run for the first time on it's own, will stir memories for a long time to come.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2200-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2009, 10:02pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #830 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:07am »

With the un-meet 09 behind us, and the first run of the mike a success. It's time to get back to work.   There were a few issues with the engine that need to be changed or adjusted, but nothing major.  I was very pleased with the first run.  I would like to thank everyone at the un-meet 09 for being there and making it such a memorable week.  A special thanks goes out to Pete Bialecki,  Duncan Herring,  Joe Tanski, and Chuck McCarley.  I left home a day and a half late.  I was welding and machining parts , within a few hours of my departure. When I pulled out,  I still needed to plumb the injectors, the axle pump line back to the bypass valve , and  plumb the lubricator.   On thursday at the BCRR while I was putting the tendgola together, Duncan approached me and asked what he could do to help, before I knew it there were  4 people helping me plumb the engine.  Duncan and Joe were  plumbing the firemans side  , while myself and chuck  plumbed the engineers side.  Pete was silver soldering the fittings for us. A half days work was reduced to a little over an hour.  Not one of them were asked to help, they just offered and it was greatly appreciated.  A perfect example of the live steam hobby. Ray III    

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009, 10:35am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4823_806x605.jpg - 79582 Bytes
« Reply #831 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:46am »

This pic was taken on fri morning , the day I was suppose to leave. Notice there are not any water glasses or pressure gauge, nor is there any throttle.  The throttle  parts still needed to be fabricated .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4823_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4820_806x605.jpg - 67330 Bytes
« Reply #832 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:47am »

this pic shows the smokebox plumbing. the fitting on the tee below the ball valve is where the oil line will tie in.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4820_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:48am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4819_806x605.jpg - 38180 Bytes
« Reply #833 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:52am »

pic shows the safetys installed.  140# and 145#

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4819_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4824_772x513.jpg - 84589 Bytes
« Reply #834 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:54am »

this pic shows the engine about to roll into the truck, for the trip to florida.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4824_772x513.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #835 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 3:28pm »

on Mar 7th, 2009, 9:07am, SteamHeaton wrote:       (Click here for original message)
On thursday while I was putting the tendgola together, Duncan approached me and asked what he could do to help, before I knew it there were  4 people helping me plumb the engine.  

So, it takes a village to build a loco?  
Ray, just kidding, great job by everyone involved, especially you.  I am very motivated to pick up the pace on my own mikado!
Dan Watson

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009, 3:30pm by Dan Watson » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM2183-2.jpg - 67461 Bytes
« Reply #836 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 6:20pm »

on Mar 7th, 2009, 9:07am, SteamHeaton wrote:       (Click here for original message)
With the un-meet 09 behind us, and the first run of the mike a success. It's time to get back to work.   There were a few issues with the engine that need to be changed or adjusted, but nothing major.  I was very pleased with the first run.  I would like to thank everyone at the un-meet 09 for being there and making it such a memorable week.  A special thanks goes out to Pete Bialecki,  Duncan Herring,  Joe Tanski, and Chuck McCarley.  I left home a day and a half late.  I was welding and machining parts , within a few hours of my departure. When I pulled out,  I still needed to plumb the injectors, the axle pump line back to the bypass valve , and  plumb the lubricator.   On thursday while I was putting the tendgola together, Duncan approached me and asked what he could do to help, before I knew it there were  4 people helping me plumb the engine.  Duncan and Joe were  plumbing the firemans side  , while myself and chuck  plumbed the engineers side.  Pete was silver soldering the fittings for us. A half days work was reduced to a little over an hour.  Not one of them were asked to help, they just offered and it was greatly appreciated.  A perfect example of the live steam hobby. Ray III    

This is a picture of the crew of live steamers who stepped up to help Ray out in order for him to run his mike.
Ray H. on left, right behind him Chuck Mc. working on the "tendgola". to the center rt. Pete, with a piec of tubeing in his hand, heading for the shop, low on the side of the engine, Dunkin Herring, and rt. nearer the camera is Joe Tanski. Quite a hand full of accomplished live steamers working with Ray so he could realize his dream of the mike's first run.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2183-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009, 6:27pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #837 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 11:37pm »

thank you Bobby,  it was so nice to see you and all of the BCRR crew again.  Greg  I sure wish you could have been there.   Hopefully next year we will see you .  Don it was a pleasure meeting you and the  rest of the ten wheeler group as well.  I am looking forward to following your project .   Dan thank you , yes it does take the village , or at least it sure helps.  I can already picture the  double heading I.C. mikes.   Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4937_806x605.jpg - 74476 Bytes
« Reply #838 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 9:47pm »

After returning from the un-meet 09,  there were several things that needed attention.   I have been busy working on the engine ,  last weekend  I took it to Kenny Davis track in Decatur Illinois.   The engine was fired up for  5 1/2  hours.   It ran great.   The next few pics will show  the insulation applied to the steam rated ball valve throttle in the smokebox, also  2 pics from last sunday at kennys track. Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4937_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2009, 10:15pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4938_806x605.jpg - 74565 Bytes
« Reply #839 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 9:49pm »

another pic of insulation

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4938_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »