Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:26pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31040 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON

« Reply #720 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:07am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I apologize for pulling this thread "Off Topic". I asked what I thought was a valid question of my instructor, Ray. I thought this was more than "show and tell". I thought we were here to teach and learn.

My humble appologies,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Bruce_Mowbray
TRAINing

« Reply #721 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 4:12pm »

I also thought the question and answer were right on topic with what was being done. My apologies as well.  

BTW, Awesome job Ray. It has inspired me to looking into buying a TIG machine.

(another) Bruce

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA
http://www.geocities.com/trainhead391/
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #722 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 8:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

OT: Bruce M. it is nice to see you on Rail Fan. Maybe you could grace us with a thread on your layouts progress?  

Bobby

AKA: Ishkabibble001 (Yahoo Live Diesel)

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #723 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:02pm »

Greg, Bruce M.,

If an appology is in order, perhaps its mine. I am very sincere when I say that the heat treating subject would be very interesting in and of itself.  
I've seen how easily we all drift off topic here and other places, hence the suggestion of staying with the subject of Ray's build and not getting all involved in a discussion on stress relieving a boiler in detail in this thread.
And, if there is any question about my interest in building a boiler, take a look at the thread pertaining to my own boiler build.  

I, in particular am very interested in metalurgy. And I come by this interest honestly. My grandfather and my name sake, was a file hardening shop forman for none other than the Nicolson File Co. a long time ago.

BTW, Bruce, its been a long time since we've seen or spoken to each other. If you can, try to get down here for the un-meet. It would be great to see you again.

Bruce

Southern_PS4
TRAINing

« Reply #724 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 1:56am »

Bruce and Ray,

I have 3 questions, actually 2 questions and a comment which I hope is not too far off topic.
Ray, how did you get the argon gas to the back of the root welds on the backhead?  There are several ways to do it on most of the other welds.  I would think that maybe you used stick for the root and Tig for the balance of the weld.  Second, there appears to be a considerable un-stayed space on either side of the stay below the fire hole.  I would think that if a stay was required below the fire hole that the two spaces on either side would need one as well.

Suggestion:  on the engine hoist hydraulic line from the pump to the cylinder, install a flow control valve, or needle valve, and put a check valve in parallel with it so that there is free flow from the pump to the cylinder but no flow through it back to the pump.  That would force the fluid to return to the pump through the needle valve which you could adjust for a nice SLOW movement of the hoist in the down direction.

Hope I wasn't too long winded.  Ray I absolutely love your pics and descriptions.  I have been trying to visualize the joint were the boiler barrel, throte plate and fire box side plate come together for a long time. Thank you!

Jerry

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #725 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 11:56am »

Greg & Bruce M.  there is no need to apologize.   It was a great question,  the only answer I could give you was one of my personal experiences.  It was a general question ,  I  only commented on the boilers that I have built.  Those were the ones I have personal knowlege of.  The reference material  I use as a guide , does not mention it [stress relieving].   This thread is here because Bruce R.  suggested I do it.  If he had not , the boiler would , still have been built . There just would not have been any reporting of the build.   All questions and comments are welcome.   We all learn from each other  here.  That is why I have spent the time posting the pics and comments.  There is a fair amount of time  in that alone.  It was all done in the hopes of helping anyone considering building there own boiler and were not sure what it entailed.               Jerry , I am glad you are enjoying the build.   As for your comment on the backing gas.   I don't believe it is necessary with steel.   I have read about backing gas, when welding stainless, and titanium,  both of which I have never done.   For the root pass  tig or stick   both do a great job.   stick welding is a quicker process , but requires more cleaning ,between  passes.    Regarding the question of  sufficient  number of staybolts.    I followed the print on staybolt spacing.  You must remember there  is  3/4" square  stock around the fire door and mud ring, which is welded to both plates.  That is a stay in it's self.   Also we are talking about  a distance of   1 & 1/2" to 2" total  space between  the square stock of the firedoor and mud ring.   The print called for  1/4 and  5/16 material .  This entire boiler is made from 3/8th boiler plate.  I probably could have omitted the backhead staybolts all together.   We are talking about  3/8th plates and  140psi.   These boilers are so over built.   Hope this helps.  Jerry any question you might have, please don't hesitate to ask. Ray III

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2009, 11:59am by SteamHeaton » Logged
Southern_PS4
TRAINing

« Reply #726 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 1:49pm »

Ray,

1-1/2 to 2 inches!  It's hard to judge dimensions in your beautiful  pictures.  I'm now surprised that you put it in.
Any comments on the hoist mod? I'd hate to see anyone drop that boiler on their toe!  Even Bruce's boiler s too heavy for that.
Look forward to seeing it finished.

Jerry

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #727 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 11:42pm »

Jerry,

Your quite correct about the valves in the engine lift. Don't know if you are aware that there are a few us here that have been mechanics for more years than some of us like to think about.(myself just two years short of fifty) That being said, I have done exactly what you suggested, years ago. I installed an adjustable limiter valve in a bypass line to the reserve tank to nicely control the decent of just such a lift. It made lift less exciting when lowering engines, believe me.  
   And you are also correct about my boiler. I tried walking it around in Pete's welding shop. It damn near walked me around.

Ray,

I sure was glad to hear of your advances with the sheets and the tubes.
Your phone calls always put a new light on this very energentic build of yours. I sure hope you have her ready to fire for the Un-Meet!!!
Please keep us updated on this most interesting boiler build. Between your descriptions and the pics, that is what makes this live steam thread so interesting. Without the bull crap, the bla-bla, and the flame wars that one finds in other places.

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #728 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:41am »

My last  update pics were on the 1st.  Since then I welded the dry pipes , the last 4 stay bolts, the firedoor base to the boiler, installed the tubes, painted the boiler, rolled the tubes in ,  and tested it on 130 psi air with soapy water.   No leaks were found.   I am  taking the boiler to Dawson Illinois, for the hydro, and to see my live steam friends in Decatur.   I will also  get some help milling a few parts for the engine as I do not have a mill.  It  sure feels good to have the boiler done.   It certainly  took longer than I thought it would.  20 months start to finish ,  of those 20 months, 5 were non productive.   Nov , Dec, Jan  of last year I took a break due to boiler burnout.   About the time I was ready to start again, the  C.N. offered me an opportunity I could not pass up.  Borrow out on the DWP railroad for  7 weeks.   The boiler project started again in april.   Tonight I finished this part of the build.  One step closer to having it running.     Ray III  

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009, 4:12am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4439_806x605.jpg - 66868 Bytes
« Reply #729 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:54am »

first pic on the way to the finsh line of the boiler build, shows the first pass on the 1st dry pipe.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4439_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4444_806x605.jpg - 50507 Bytes
« Reply #730 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:55am »

1st pass complete on 1st dry tube.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4444_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4451_806x605.jpg - 45709 Bytes
« Reply #731 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:56am »

3rd and final pass.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4451_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4459_806x605.jpg - 54237 Bytes
« Reply #732 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:57am »

both dry pipes complete on front sheet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4459_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009, 12:46pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4462_806x605.jpg - 76631 Bytes
« Reply #733 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:58am »

boiler standing on end to weld dry pipes on backhead, and last 4 staybolts.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4462_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4465_806x605.jpg - 60697 Bytes
« Reply #734 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 2:59am »

starting to weld on all dry pipes and stays.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4465_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4466_806x605.jpg - 68912 Bytes
« Reply #735 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:00am »

1st pass complete.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4466_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4490_806x605.jpg - 56496 Bytes
« Reply #736 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:01am »

backhead welding done.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4490_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4495_806x605.jpg - 58556 Bytes
« Reply #737 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:07am »

this next pic shows a base for the fire door.  The print called for you to tap into the backhead.   I did not want to do this.  Instead  I made a base plate  out of 1/4 x 3/4 flat bar.  The same size as the fire door frame. I drilled 4 holes ,one in each corner , for an 8-32 sliding fit.  Then I drilled from the backside with a larger drill bit, just  enough to countersink the head of the 8-32button head screw.  I tack welded them on the back side. This gave me a stud on the front to attach the firedoor frame to.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4495_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:08am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4498_806x605.jpg - 77774 Bytes
« Reply #738 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:09am »

fire door frame on the base plate.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4498_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_4500_806x605.jpg - 47326 Bytes
« Reply #739 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 3:10am »

test fit of door.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_4500_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »