Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:36am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31023 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON

« Reply #460 on: Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ray,
You sure do pretty work. I'm glad to see those seal welds. A lot of people, in the hobby, either wouldn't be aware of them or would choose to ignore them.

Nice to see the Rariten out and about.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #461 on: Jun 23rd, 2008, 4:53pm »

thanks Bobby ,and Greg

It sure is nice to get to read about each others projects.  Learn  some tricks here and there.  Then get together  once a year and see the progress in person.  what a great hobby. Ray III

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:29am by SteamHeaton » Logged
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #462 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 12:45pm »

Any updates?  

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #463 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 5:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ollie, I am sure if there were any updates they would be posted. I know Ray is extremely busy with work right now and the boiler has probably been moved to the back burner for right now.  

Sometimes our projects don't move along as fast as we would like, but we must be patient.

But, since you have taken the time to venture here, maybe you could tell us a little about yourself and live steam experience / adventures.

Bobby

Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #464 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 1:21pm »

on Jul 24th, 2008, 5:24pm, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

But, since you have taken the time to venture here, maybe you could tell us a little about yourself and live steam experience / adventures.

I don't really have any.  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #465 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 8:06pm »

Ollie,

I've tried to stay out of this for a while. But I do have a few suggestions for you. Take the time to go back through this thread. You will see what "steamheaton" has accomplished and is accomplishing in the live steam hobby. And, you might even learn a little about the man, who just happens to be a live steamer. There is plenty of information already posted here that should occupy your time without any UPDATES.

Also, while drifting throguh the thread, you SHOULD notice that when "steaheaton" has taken a few more steps in his projects, he promptly
post the UPDATES that you are asking about. Continuealy requesting  
"updates" in five word posts will not hurry the process of building a boiler for an 1 1/2 inch scale Illinois Central Mikado.

My last suggestion for you is this. BE patient. I'm not so old that I don't remember being your age. But patience is something that needs to be practiced. Particularly in the live steam hobby. Go into a few of the other threads here instead of posting one liners. You just might lern a thing or two from the hand full of good live steamer/ride on scale hobbyists that post here.

OK, I'm off of my soap box. But believe me, when "steamheaton" has an UPDATE on his boiler project, HE WILL POST IT !!!!!! Be patient!

Bruce

Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #466 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 9:26am »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 8:06pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ollie,

I've tried to stay out of this for a while. But I do have a few suggestions for you. Take the time to go back through this thread. You will see what "steamheaton" has accomplished and is accomplishing in the live steam hobby. And, you might even learn a little about the man, who just happens to be a live steamer. There is plenty of information already posted here that should occupy your time without any UPDATES.

Also, while drifting throguh the thread, you SHOULD notice that when "steaheaton" has taken a few more steps in his projects, he promptly
post the UPDATES that you are asking about. Continuealy requesting  
"updates" in five word posts will not hurry the process of building a boiler for an 1 1/2 inch scale Illinois Central Mikado.

My last suggestion for you is this. BE patient. I'm not so old that I don't remember being your age. But patience is something that needs to be practiced. Particularly in the live steam hobby. Go into a few of the other threads here instead of posting one liners. You just might lern a thing or two from the hand full of good live steamer/ride on scale hobbyists that post here.

OK, I'm off of my soap box. But believe me, when "steamheaton" has an UPDATE on his boiler project, HE WILL POST IT !!!!!! Be patient!

Bruce

Sorry I'm just kinda impatient sometimes  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #467 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 5:27pm »

Ollie,

I also am sorry for jumping up on my soap box. I completely understand about wanting things to happen a little quicker. But I can tell you from personal expierience, that haste in the live steam hobby useually ends up with bad results. I'm sure you looked over the pics of the process of building that boiler that steamheaton is involved in. What really stands out, at least to me as a live steamer, is the attention to detail that Ray is incorporating into this major project.

Also, I'm fairly sure you've seen some of the pics of the track work that I like to do. It takes time and patience. But nice track is always nice track. No matter who is building it.  

In almost forty years as a live steamer, I've seen a lot of beautiful equipment and track facilities. But every once in a while, something crops up where  someone wanted to either have something running quickly or wanted to have track on the ground right now. These situations useually end up either real bad or being rebuilt .

So again, I appologize if I came off a little turse, but when Ray has some more pics available, we all here will be the first to see the progress he's made.

Take care,  

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #468 on: Jul 28th, 2008, 10:30am »

hi all,

ollie:  not to seem like i'm throwing salt on the wound, but bruce is right.  in this hobby, patience is a virtue.  it takes time.  now, about that lack of hobby experience...go back to the main menu and start with the 'how to' threads, then go to the very first page of the 'building live steam railcars...' thread.  when you're done with all the pages in that thread, you should be ready to ask questions about the equipment you want to build!  with guidance, your live steam experience begins...now.  

building a loco should done after you know how a railcar and rails work together.  without that understanding, most people build equipment that won't stay on the rails.  we're here to help you on your journey.  watching steaminheaton is a great way to gain knowledge, but understand, his journey has taken him a long way.  as i teach, so he is teaching.  i, too, look forward to his posts...i'm learning from him as well.

hope this is the push you needed to get started!

moose the caboose

on Jul 25th, 2008, 1:21pm, Ollie wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I don't really have any.  

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #469 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:02am »

Now where was I ??    Thats what I have been asking myself lately.     Ollie  I can appreciate your enthusiasm,  and I am glad you are enjoying the post.   As Bobby George,and Bruce have stated , the  12" to the  foot  railroad has kept me very busy lately, toooooooooooo busy infact.   The last thing  posted, was the couplings being welded on.  The next  job was to locate the holes and  figure the length of the supply lines.  These are both 1/2"  schd 80 pipe.  The print calls for  3/8ths for the throttle  and  1/4 for the  manifold in the cab.   They would have to order the 3/8ths and  1/4 in schd 80 .  I would have to buy 20ft of each.   I had to buy 20 ft of the 1/2 schd 80 [min order] for the stay or dry tubes anyway, and it was instock, with plenty of pipe leftover , hence the  1/2"  supply lines.  The elbows I used on the supply lines , are heavy duty high pressure fittings. They should last a long time.  This boiler will have a sealed steam dome.   There will  be no access to this dome.  The throttle will be in the smoke box, and it is less work to use a weld cap.  If I should need  to enter the boiler in that area , I  will remove the safetys.   Ray III                        

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 1:25am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3752_806x605.jpg - 43810 Bytes
« Reply #470 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:38am »

this first pic is the boiler  print , with the  supply lines  fitted together , and checking the fit, against the boiler  specs.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3752_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3751_806x605.jpg - 75467 Bytes
« Reply #471 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:40am »

this pic shows the first hole in the barrel for the supply lines

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3751_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3761_806x605.jpg - 94341 Bytes
« Reply #472 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:46am »

this pic shows  both supply lines  on top of the boiler, inverted.  They will actually  be placed inside the barrel with the nipples sticking up through the holes in the barrel.  I was just checking the fit.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3761_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3762_806x605.jpg - 99412 Bytes
« Reply #473 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:48am »

one more pic of  supply pipes from rear.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3762_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3738_806x605.jpg - 107406 Bytes
« Reply #474 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:52am »

this pic shows  , the schd 80 weld cap, that I am using for my steam dome.  I had to grind  a radius  to match the barrel.  The tractor bucket makes a very handy work bench. It keeps all the grinding mess outside.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3738_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3739_806x605.jpg - 49603 Bytes
« Reply #475 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:54am »

another view of grinding the radius.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3739_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3741_806x605.jpg - 75563 Bytes
« Reply #476 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 12:58am »

this pic shows , cap on boiler , with grinding half way done checking the fit.  The green cap is how it fit before grinding. The green cap is schd 40 and the black one is schd 80.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3741_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3743_806x605.jpg - 89889 Bytes
« Reply #477 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 1:00am »

pic shows grinding complete, with bevel  ready for welding.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3743_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3746_806x605.jpg - 74256 Bytes
« Reply #478 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 1:02am »

this pic shows finished cap ,back view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3746_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3748_604x805.jpg - 61127 Bytes
« Reply #479 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 1:03am »

last pic for tonight.  cap in my hand showing the radius.  Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3748_604x805.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »