Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31777 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
  100_3467_806x605.jpg - 49846 Bytes
« Reply #400 on: May 27th, 2008, 8:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

here are all the parts ready for assembly

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3467_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3469_806x605.jpg - 56608 Bytes
« Reply #401 on: May 27th, 2008, 8:31pm »

here are all of the  pieces with the viton  O rings installed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3469_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3472_806x605.jpg - 51543 Bytes
« Reply #402 on: May 27th, 2008, 8:42pm »

the first glass assembled.  the blow down valve is just screwed on to the glass for shipping purposes. there will be a pipe tee at the bottom of the gauge , that will attach to the backhead and the valve will screw  onto the bottom of the tee.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3472_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3474_806x605.jpg - 34450 Bytes
« Reply #403 on: May 27th, 2008, 8:46pm »

another pic of the first glass. the white stuff you see at each end of the glass is a piece of teflon tape that has been folded over several times. I wrap it around the outside of the glass . This is only to protect the glass from side contact with the brass, not for sealing  purposes.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3474_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3516_806x605.jpg - 46732 Bytes
« Reply #404 on: May 27th, 2008, 8:53pm »

I ordered  a new stack from R.R. warehouse and it arrived today. It is much beefier than the one that came with the kit originally.  this one has the dogs as did the I.C. mikes and it is a  little taller  too.  this should give me the look I am shooting for.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3516_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3517_806x605.jpg - 52781 Bytes
« Reply #405 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:01pm »

a pic of both stacks, quite a difference.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3517_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3519_806x605.jpg - 73917 Bytes
« Reply #406 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:11pm »

I started working on the boiler today.   I welded the first on many couplings onto the boiler. the big one in this pic is a washout , on the bottom of the boiler towards the front.  It was suggested to me and I thought it was a good idea, easy to put it on now.  the small coupling is for a water check valve, only one on the engineers side  ,but there will be  2 on the firemans side.  All of these are high pressure pipe couplings that I  cut in half.  I used a hole saw to bore the hole in the barrel ,and then counter sunk the hole slightly.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3519_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008, 6:52pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3523_806x605.jpg - 53718 Bytes
« Reply #407 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:15pm »

this pic shows the first pass of the washout  plug.  this will sit  between driver 1 and 2.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3523_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3529_806x605.jpg - 52869 Bytes
« Reply #408 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:25pm »

this pic shows a whole  coupling, a half of one and the first pass on  one welded in.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3529_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #409 on: May 28th, 2008, 9:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ray,  

It is good to see you making progress again. As always your workmanship is inspiring. The boys at the BCRR are already taking about triple and quad heading Mowhawks, Mikados, J1's and a certain smokey Atlantic!

On a side note, if you are not planning on using the first stack, I would be interested in it. It appears to be of the correct height as was used on the B&M Pacifics that I am planning on.  

Bobby

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #410 on: May 31st, 2008, 6:49pm »

Looking good!! Like Bobby said, your work inspires others. And thats a good thing. This is Sat.5/31/08, and even today in the middle of diamond building, a quadruple header was mentioned.  If we could get a certain owner of a #22 to get involved it might even be a "quintuple header". Would'nt that be something to see!.

Talk to you soon,

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #411 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 10:04pm »

Thanks Bobby, for the kind words.  It feels real good to be working on the boiler again.  I need to get busy ,  un -meet 09  will be here before we know it.  Consider the stack yours Bobby.  Bruce  a quintuple would be a awesome sight.   I think we can  talk Cam into a visit  in Feb.   I should have some more  pics  in a couple of days.  The 12" to the foot has been rather busy this week.  Ray III

sonex761
TRAINing

« Reply #412 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 9:12am »

I am doing research on boiler building for my project a 0-4-0.  I am wondering about welding.  I know that in aviation application that sometimes a MIG is not an acceptable welding method.  Is MIG acceptable for boiler building?

Stephen

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #413 on: Jun 12th, 2008, 12:05am »

Stephen
 My  exp. with mig was  in several fabrication shops, 22 years ago.  I am sure alot has changed since then.   It was all  steel fabrication , never any pressure vessels.  I would  recommend , stick or  tig , either one will do a fine job.  I used a lincoln buzz box [ stick welder ] on the first  3 boilers.  One of them [raritan]  is now on it's  17th year.   The boiler I am working on now  is  completely tig welded.  The other  3 were all stick welded.   Hope this helps     RAY III

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #414 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 7:54pm »

Stephen,

I've worked in pressureized equipment for almost fifty years now (refrigeration/air conditioning). The very peaceful refrigerator in your kitchen runs at higher pressure, on one side of the system, than do our live steamers. I've done braze joints on them and AC systems, that are way higher pressure than anything we run, but I still will not build my own boiler.
   When my Atlantic needed a new boiler, I had a professional welder build it for me. He also is a live steamer. This being said, one can see the professionalizm in the welds that steamheaton has displayed in this thread. The pics of this boiler speak volumes about practice and expierience.
   You've received some good advise from others here. All I can say is that a boiler should be "UN-fooled-around-with". There are many items on a live steamer that can be "fatidled", but, not the boiler.

Take care,  

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #415 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 10:03pm »

Stephen,
I can find no fault with the advice from Ray and Bruce. They are both eminent Live Steamers of long experience. I know Bruce, and his kettle, well. I have been privileged to make Ray's aquaintence and see his equipment perform. 'Nuff said.

I owned my own prototyping and fabrication business and one thing I learned, REAL FAST, is that it is far less expensive to hire the skills you are lacking. (One nice thing about owning the joint is the things you can observe and learn, in the guise of "supervision")I have also been a Nationally Licensed tech inspector for the SCCA, where shoddy welds are rampant.

One of the most dangerous tools (based on results, not operation) I have seen come on the market are these little mig welders. You can run the most beautiful bead with one, and it won't hold crap. Whereas you can scab together two pieces of steel, with an old Lincoln 225. It may not be pretty, but it will hold 'til hell freezes over. Welding is as much art as science, that's why it is called a skilled trade. I have, at one time or another, welded some fairly critical stuff. I won't weld my own boilers...

Greg B.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #416 on: Jun 14th, 2008, 8:58am »

I'm with everyone on the need for proper welding equipment and skills for building a boiler.  What most people do (if they are "building" their own boiler) is to perform the cutting, forming and fitting themselves, but then hire a skilled welder to put it together.  Of course, the boiler must be properly designed and the right materials used.  On a typical boiler there's a lot more hours required in the fabrication and fitting than the actual welding.
Dan Watson

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #417 on: Jun 14th, 2008, 2:45pm »

One other thing.  My daughter has a friend who is a welder in the boilermaker's union.  All of the welding he does is either TIG or stick.  He says they typically do the root pass on a weld with TIG and subsequent passes with stick, but never use MIG.

sonex761
TRAINing

« Reply #418 on: Jun 15th, 2008, 11:57am »

Hey, thanks for all the help.  I think I have decided to let someone else weld my boiler.  It is obvious I do not have the equipment to do it.

Stephen

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_3530_806x605.jpg - 69638 Bytes
« Reply #419 on: Jun 22nd, 2008, 8:48pm »

I have been busy welding on the boiler.  The latest project was welding all of the couplings on the boiler.  There are  10 couplings in all.   They are all welded on now and I will be installing the steam supply lines for the  manifold and  and smokebox throttle next.  The last  2 weekends I have taken the raritan to train meets .  Fired up for  6 hours at each one.  What  a nice way to spend the day. So there are lots of pics to post.  This pic shows backhead with first washout in place ready for welding .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_3530_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2008, 8:56pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  56 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »