Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:36am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31339 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re:  SteamHeaton, A Quiet Member Here

« Reply #300 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 8:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ray,

I sure don't know much about the chair, but I do know a thing or two about a boiler. Man, that thing is AWESOME. Have you any idea what the finished product will weigh in at? Looks fairly heavy from here. Please don't leave us hanging here to often. More pics of this major project are always appreciated.

Take care,  

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #301 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 9:39pm »

yes Greg that chair is where most of this welding was done, and where a few breaks were  taken to dream about shoveling coal into it. There is still alot of work to be done  , but I still feel completely  confident about finishing  , or at least having it  operable for the  UN-MEET -08.  Bruce  I did weigh all of the parts  the other day. the firebox alone is up to 95 lbs.  The total for all of the parts  is around 315 .

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #302 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 9:40pm »

Sorry, not a steam engine builder by any means...

Are you leaving those threaded rods in, or are they going to end up as something else in there....?

Thats looking really nice though Ray, I would love to see it run on the tracks.

I do want to know how much thats things going to weigh in at!  Didnt those things weigh in at almost 400,000 lbs, so that makes it like 50,000 lbs in 1/8th scale right!?  Just kidding!  

Good Luck

Dean
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #303 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Dean, Ray's engine may not quite reach 50,000lbs but I think it is a safe bet that traction will not be an issue.

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2742_806x605.jpg - 77381 Bytes
« Reply #304 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:36pm »

I went by  the  welding shop, that is building my prototype IC offset  hopper , today.  They are  about 80% done with the  part  they are doing for me .  I will finish the car , along with detail.  This first pic is what I saw today when I walked in there  shop.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2742_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2744_806x605.jpg - 68113 Bytes
« Reply #305 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:03pm »

this pic shows the side of the car, minus the top left and right corners , that had to be bent seperately, there were too many bends for one piece.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2744_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2745_806x605.jpg - 68329 Bytes
« Reply #306 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:10pm »

For this next pic , we took the car outside in the sunlight for a better  view.  the corner piece is being held in place.  four of these will be made for each car.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2745_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2010, 9:18am by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2746_806x605.jpg - 65252 Bytes
« Reply #307 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:18pm »

this pic shows the angles on the end of the car. This first car they are  figuring out  things as they go, but are  recording all bends and the  whole car is saved  on a disc for the  cnc plasma torch for the other  cars  in this set I will eventually make. They are also making a jig  to speed up the  build time on the rest of the fleet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2746_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2748_806x605.jpg - 82116 Bytes
« Reply #308 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:25pm »

here you can see the whole car. I can just picture a string of these  behind the auxiliary tender. Back in the day they were  a milk chocolate color.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2748_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2747_806x605.jpg - 75542 Bytes
« Reply #309 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:34pm »

this is the last pic of the car. the bottom is flat , for ease  in hauling things, there will be dummy hopper doors underneath.  The main reason i stopped by the shop today was , to drop off my throat sheet  for the boiler.  This is the outside front of the firebox.  I needed to have it bent.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2747_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Texas_Steam
TRAINing

« Reply #310 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:46am »

RGH, how many of these cars do you expect to have made?  I can easily see you needing a 20' trailer with double racks for moving all of these to a run somewhere.

Everything is looking good (especially the firebox & driver photos from a few days ago).

I think, therefore I Schram.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #311 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 6:16pm »

WOW, those are gonna be some nice hoppers. A long string of them behind your Mike will be awesome. Thanks for shareing Ray.

Take care,  

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #312 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:33pm »

What a great place to store your season's supply of coal....

Ray have you made any provision for drainage, in these cars? In spite of our best efforts, we're sometimes a little late with the blue tarps!

I like the folded lip on the top edge. That'll stiffen the daylights out of it.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #313 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:38pm »

Hello dgmarklin, the threaded rods are just used during construction . They hold the plates in the position I need them at ,either to weld or just check the fit of everything.  I chose to use bolts  on the firebox instead of the threaded rod this time, the bolts are holding the outside plates  up against the firebox and keeps everything at the proper angle, and the firebox  also is very rigid and nothing will get out of alignment or warp.  the bolts and or threaded rod is removed after the welding is completed.  Then unthreaded 3/8ths rods about  1 1/2 inches long are  put in place , they go through the holes  that you see in the firebox , and then through a matching hole  in the outside sheet, they will stick out of each hole about 1/8th of an inch, this rod is then welded to both plates and keeps them from bowing  while under pressure.  This boiler will have 52 of these which are called staybolts , 52 staybolts with a weld on each end = 104 welds. the welds will be on the outside of the outside sheet , and on the inside of the firebox.
 on Nov 1st, 2007, 9:40pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sorry, not a steam engine builder by any means...

Are you leaving those threaded rods in, or are they going to end up as something else in there....?

Thats looking really nice though Ray, I would love to see it run on the tracks.

I do want to know how much thats things going to weigh in at!  Didnt those things weigh in at almost 400,000 lbs, so that makes it like 50,000 lbs in 1/8th scale right!?  Just kidding!  

Good Luck

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007, 10:19pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #314 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 10:06am »

Mark,  I am hoping to one day have 15-20 of these hoppers, and a red I.C. wood side door caboose.  This will take a few years to do.   Bruce thanks , I can see that string of hoppers too. That will be something to see and even better , pull the throttle on.  Greg , I had not thought about drainage,  glad you mentioned that, I will prob do  the same thing  that koster did , a small hole in each corner  in the floor. This has worked pretty good on my 1981 vintage koster hopper.  I was planning on welding a 1/2 angle or channel around the top edge, but the welding shop owner suggested the  folded edge.  You are right about the stiffness. It is very rigid. I am glad he could do that.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #315 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 10:17am »

I have taken a cpl  of days off, for  nothing but boiler work.  I made good progress yesterday, on fitting the firebox to the barrel.  It required  some grinding on the barrel, to get enough clearance for the tube nest, between the bottom row of tubes and the barrel.  I also had my throat sheet at the welding shop, for bending , but  the owner called me and said there was not enough material on the radius side of the bend of the throat sheet, for him to be able to bend it.  He thought it would just distort the plate and  have a bad result.  So I brought it home and cut it last night horizontally along the bend line on the band saw.  Today I will   bevel and set it at the proper angle and weld it back together , the same way I did on the rear tube sheet. I also plan on having the firebox tacked and maybe even some welding done on it today. I will post pics of this weekend boiler extravaganza tonight. LOL   Once the firebox and barrel are one piece, the weight will be  around 270 lbs.  I will start using the tractor  to lift from now on.  |Gentleman  start your welders.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007, 10:24am by SteamHeaton » Logged
Texas_Steam
TRAINing

« Reply #316 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 11:13am »

Quote:
Gentleman  start your welders

I got a good laugh out of that.

Do you think that you're possibly gaining some live steam enthusiasts out of the guys @ the welding shop?  I would assume it's one of the more unusual projects they've gotten over there.

Then again, it's possible they are more into NASCAR or auto stuff.

PS:  I also spotted your metal milk crate & remember it as being another one of our indespensible shop tools.    Many a piece of angle iron has been braced on that thing.

I think, therefore I Schram.
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #317 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:43pm »

I worked sat and sun on the boiler, I was able to cut the throat sheet and weld it back at the proper angle, I did some grinding on the barrel to get the firebox where it needs to be,  I still have a  a little grinding to do.  The top of the rear tube sheet is angled back about an 1/8th so I  will grind a slight angle on the  long cuts that were made on the barrel to rotate the top of the  rear tube sheet  forward just a little, the front and rear  tube sheets need to be true to each other. I had hoped to get the firebox tacked on  the barrel on sun but this set me back a little.  Once this  grinding is done ,the next step will be to weld the firebox on. I also bought some  1" cold roll round stock to use as a temp alignment between the tube sheets, this was the idea of a friend.   I almost fell out of my chair when I called about the copper tubing. WOW is all I can say.  My tubes are going to be 36" long and there will be  21 of them at $6.50 per foot.  Also when I was figuring the weight of the boiler last week I forgot to include the weight of the tubes, which will be 50lbs.  This will put the boiler in the neighborhood of 360lbs .

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007, 10:21pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2754_806x605.jpg - 65810 Bytes
« Reply #318 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:50pm »

throat sheet  getting welded back together , at the proper angle. This was done because it could not  be bent. This took a little longer but the result was the same.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2754_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2758_806x605.jpg - 38960 Bytes
« Reply #319 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:55pm »

looking from the smokebox end at the firebox sitting on the barrel.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2758_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »