Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 31342 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re:  SteamHeaton, A Quiet Member Here
  100_2237_806x605.jpg - 39693 Bytes
« Reply #180 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 6:43am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here is a pic of a staybolt ,  once it has been welded  to the sheet  the countersunk area will be filled in with weld.  I put one in the plate just to show you what it will look like. I am a little ways from welding staybolts.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2237_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2290_806x605.jpg - 71634 Bytes
« Reply #181 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 10:23pm »

I am working on the boiler again.  All of the rain in AR. and TX. a couple of weeks ago ,forced  2 railroads to detour on us.  Work and sleep was all I did for over  2weeks.  a cond  from one of those railroads showed us a pic of a locomotive with water up to the bottom of the cab door.  Well the water has receded and I again have some spare time. I tack welded the  front and rear tube sheet together , and drilled the 21 pilot holes.  I then needed to drill them with a 31/32 bit ,and ream to 1", but my drill press will not run slow enough for that large bit.  I will have to use a machine shop for this  part.  After I get this done , the welding can begin. This pic shows the  2 plates together getting the pilot holes.  Ray III

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2290_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 12:06am »

Ray,

That makes me want to go out to the garage...(yes even here at 12:05 AM) and start making an steam engine!

If I only had a drill press....(hint: MOM! I WANT ONE!)  

BTW:  Since I'm back to Bradenton now, I need to get some good pictures of my GE 44, never have got any good pictures of it done now that I think of it!

Dean
Texas_Steam
TRAINing

« Reply #183 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 12:21am »

Ray, you think it's hard for you getting all the work - down here in Austin, we've already surpassed our rain average for the year with only minor chances of a letup.  We have yet to surpass 95* however the humidity is making me feel like I'm back in Fort Lauderdale again.  Drat!  I thought I'd left that behind!!!

For all the others, please know that It's especially difficult for me since I'm a roofing contractor & I'm having to push back job after job after job - but the calls are still coming in.  <sigh>

Glad to see you're back to making progress of some sort.

I think, therefore I Schram.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:35pm »

Ray,

Man it is so good to see the work that you are doing on that boiler. GIT that welder cranked up friend. I personally can't wait to see that thing come together through you photos. I certainly hope others find it as interesting as I do.  

Please give us some description of the process as you go along with this major peoject. I'm sure that would help others that might contemplate this same building project on their own steamer.

talk to you soon, take care,  

Bruce

ps
   sling (immobilizer) is off of my arm, finally

pockets
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 4:53pm »

That's looking really great, Ray. Not to apply any pressure, but it sure would be a treat to see her running at the 08 unmeet

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 9:48pm »

Hello all, I stopped by the machine shop in town today and picked up my flue sheets that were ,getting the tube holes drilled and reamed.  i had them tack welded together so both holes were  lined up.  Now I will separate the  2 sheets and  take the rear  tube sheet back to the same shop and  have them bend the bottom of it back slightly, to match the rake back of the  fire box side sheet.  Then I get to flip the switch on the tig welder and start  putting this together so Greg can see it run at the un-meet.  I have alot to do but i still think it is poss to have it running  for the meet. I will post a few pics of the tube holes drilled and reamed.  Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2335_806x605.jpg - 45678 Bytes
« Reply #187 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 9:57pm »

front and rear tube sheet  still tacked together with the holes drilled and reamed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2335_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2341_806x605.jpg - 76181 Bytes
« Reply #188 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 10:02pm »

this view shows you where the tube nest will be.  21, 1" tubes

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2341_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 10:43pm »

Absolutely awsome, Ray. Unless life trips you up, there's no doubt that you will make it.

I'm a little ways behind you. I get to buy a cement mixer, later this month, to pour the foundation, to build my shop etc, etc..... Right now, all of the equipment is in the guest (Moose's) room. The lathe and welder look funny sitting next to the night stand and dresser! I swear I'm gonna write a book!!

Good luck, Ray,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:57pm »

Terrific, just terrific !! That is going to be a brute of a locomotive. I can't wait till you get back down here with it.

take care,  

Bruce

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 3:16pm »

Ray,
I see where you plan to use 1" tubes.  If you need some steel tubes for this project, I have some available, and they are yours for the cost of shipping.  Just tell me how long they need to be.
Dan Watson

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 3:18pm by Dan Watson » Logged
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 11:29pm »

Thanks Greg, and Bruce.  Your support helps keep me going.  It is tough working on a project like this all by yourself , hard to stay motivated sometimes.  Dan thankyou for the tube offer, I truly appreciate the offer.  I will be using copper tubes.  Ray III

CWilkes
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #193 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 11:44am »

Ray

Your project is truly inspiring. This is really making me want to "officially" learn welding.

The mike is looking great and I hope to see it in February. What a big shift from the Raritan! Probably should take it a little slow at first, got a lot more engine there......

Cam

Alcosteam
TRAINing

« Reply #194 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 12:06am »

Hey Ray   When you get ready to roll your tubes in let me know and I will let you borrow a tube roller.  I think you are using the same size tubes as #7 ?   1" ID  and 1.125 OD ?  Or better yet bring your boiler and tubes up and we can roll the tubes and then hydro in one shot.  

Did you get to watch the DVD yet?  Depending on if I can get off of work or not we plan on going down to the WF&P again on the Grand Scales pre-convention day which is the 13th of Sept.  Surely the CN won't suspect anything if you play hooky in the middle of the week...  

tim

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:27pm »

Hello all, Thanks Cam I appreciate that.  Tim I did  watch the dvd, that was great. Thanks .  I will make a copy of my vid and get it to you this week I am on vacation all week. I spent alot of time in the garage welding the tube sheet back together and checking the fit of the other parts  .  I cut pieces of threaded rod and used nuts and washers to hold the plates at the proper position to check the alignment of everything .  it all fit pretty good ,some plates will need a little grinding , and then I will grind all the bevels for the weld joints.  I hope to start welding the firebox tomorrow.  I will post some pics of my progress today.   Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2343_806x605.jpg - 66457 Bytes
« Reply #196 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:37pm »

here is a pic of the tube sheet, clamped down at the proper angle and beveled .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2343_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2349_806x605.jpg - 61478 Bytes
« Reply #197 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:42pm »

here is a pic of the first pass , First I made 4 good tack welds and then started running my first pass

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2349_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2354_806x605.jpg - 61582 Bytes
« Reply #198 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:46pm »

this pic shows the final pass on this side,after it cooled for awhile I flipped it over and ran one pass for a sealing run.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2354_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2355_806x605.jpg - 97206 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:51pm »

this pic shows the firebox together , notice the threaded rod I am using to hold everything in it's proper position. this is a dry run to check the fit , now i will take it back apart and bevel all the edges  for welding, then  used the treaded rod again to hold at proper position during the welding .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2355_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »