Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 8:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  (Read 30994 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re:  SteamHeaton, A Quiet Member Here

« Reply #140 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 8:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hey ray!

you just keep an eye on the moose thread!

moose the caboose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #141 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 9:22pm »

OK George, I will sleep with one eye open. LOL.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 1:31pm »

Well, Ray, it certainly looks like you all were have quite a time. Good to see smoke from the Raritan stack again. Hope you did'nt break any land speed records again.
He,he,he.

Can't wait to have you climb up and OVER the trestle.

Take care,  

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 3:44pm »

SteamHeaton's Raritan

« on: May 27th, 2007, 7:59pm » Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've known SteamHeaton since we were both about 8 years old & this engine since around 15 years old...  

Back then, we didn't know how to handle the overpressure & would whack the relief valve with a wrench or screwdriver; oh, the things kids do & the things that are able to survive our lunacy.  

It's nice to see that rig again... lots of memories there.  

Mark  

moved by moderator

CWilkes
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #144 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 11:29pm »

Ray,

I can't believe your skill with the torch.

I cant thank you enough for your idea of modifying 5 dollar brass valves for my locomotive manifold.

At this rate the cab for the C&S 22 will be done AFTER you are steaming down the track......

Cam

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #145 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 9:42am »

Hello, Cam
 Glad  you enjoyed the torch pic's.  The guide tool realy makes it easy to make nice cuts.  As  for the vavles,  that is just another example ,of people sharing ideas.  Glad I was able to help.  The valves on the raritan have been on there for 15 years.  Ray III

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 9:06am »

Hey Cam,  
Dont know where really else where to put this, I saw your engine running at the BCRR, Very nice work done to your locomotive, it was running really good the day we were TRYING to run the GP-38 and kept holding up the line!  

Nice work Ray, Very nice engines, Can you set a land record up a 1.7% grade, or that a little too crazy, lol

Dean
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 12:54am »

Sorry I did'nt jump in here sooner. Ray, just hold your horses. My Erie caboose is first, yuk,yuk,yuk.

And as others have already stated, yea that is some nice torch work. Now its time to turn the welder on, ya think! Remember, next February is just around the corner.  
According to D. Herring.

Take care,  

Bruce

Texas_Steam
TRAINing

« Reply #148 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 3:15am »

Ray (or anyone else who responds first),

Where is this Feb. meet going to happen?  After all the time spent working on this engine, I may try to steal some time & come see it in action.  It's been... what, 18+ years since my last visit to an "official" meet (as opposed to the N. Broward park with weekend runs).

Mark

I think, therefore I Schram.
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 9:48am »

Mark, the next meet in Feb that we are referring to is in s.w. florida.  Ft Myers to be exact.  Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 9:50am »

Oh and one more thing Mark , the one thing this meet is not , is official. This is an un-meet. Ray III

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 2:37am »

I would LOVE to have the dates for it...  

Is this going to be a coal shoveler meet or are electric's invited to have a couple of rounds,  

lol

DG

Dean
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #152 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 1:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Dean, Ray is referring to the "Steam Only" invitational unmeet.  

Definately no lawn mowers of battery boxes allowed at this function. I don't think we'd have the room for them anyway, we pretty much max out with top of the line Live Steam Engines, and Live Steamers.  

Ray, I have your steaming bay done, it has room enough for your Mike and Rariton!

Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 6:54pm »

Ray, Cam, would either one of you describe what valves you are using?

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
CWilkes
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #154 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 12:14am »

Hey Justin

The valves are $5 brass valves bought at a hardware store (I get mine at Lowes as Ace is futher away). The are needle angle valves that are 1/8 NPT x 1/4" Compression. What I did was a little different than Ray.  

I cut off the SS valve handles with a grinder. I then stuck the brass valve stem in a special collet I have. The collet holder was chucked in the lathe and the stem was faced off until the remaining SS handle hole is removed (they are pressed into the brass valve stem). A 1/4" deep hole is drilled and tapped 6-32. I loctited a SS set screw in the threaded hole.

After the operations on the stem were made handles were machined. They were made from 1" brass round. They had 6, 1/8" holes at 60 degrees drilled in them on a .25 inch radius and a 1/4" wide x 1/16" deep recess milled around the hole circle. Then the center was drilled and tapped 6-32 and the outer diameter knurled.

After all machining operations, the handle is screwed on the SS set screw loctited in the stem and a locknut installed.

Sorry this was so long and it may be confusing. If you look in Bruce's thread on the C&S 22, you can kinda see the handles.

If you want a picture of the valve assembly, I'll be happy to do it as I just made one two days ago! Just let me know on the board.

Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 10:04pm »

Thanks Cam.  I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about (I think I even bought some at one point to do the same for).  Did you need to change out the o-ring to hold up to steam temperatures?  By all means post up a pic.

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 12:27am »

Justin
 Cam has taken my idea ,and put a very nice spin on it . great idea cam, I bet they look great. The next few pics are of the valve I used and a quick explanation of the simple change over of the  SS handle to a knob. These are  regular  elec. cabinet knobs from  , yep you guessed it ace hardware. They are a small  piece of brass that has been knurled and threaded. The first step is to remove the stainless steel pin [hande], a few taps  with a hammer should do. Then drill the knob  out to fit over the brass valve stem. This will be where the threads are, but you will not need them, the threads that is. After you have the knob where it will  fit over the  valve stem, slide it on so that it is flush with the end of the stem.  Now drill through the  groove in the side of the  brass knob and continue drilling  through the vale stem , this hole should be a little smaller than the  stainless steel  pin that you removed. Cut the pin and use the middle  portion of it, this part  is knurled and will  hold the  knob on. Cut the pin just as long as the knob is wide and tap it in. Hope this helps. Ray III

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2190_806x605.jpg - 19217 Bytes
« Reply #157 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 12:30am »

valve and knob

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2190_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2195_806x605.jpg - 18464 Bytes
« Reply #158 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 12:36am »

I know the pics are a little blurry, the first pic shows you the  groove , on the side of the knob, and this second pic shows you ,where the knob will slide on ,after drilling it out. you can also see the pin you will remove and later, cut down and reuse to hold knob on.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2195_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SteamHeaton
Historian
  100_2193_806x605.jpg - 26865 Bytes
« Reply #159 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 12:42am »

I said drill all the way through the stem, but actually, you drill through the knob then line  up that hole you just made in the knob with the existing hole from the pin, that you removed. Hope I did not confuse you .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_2193_806x605.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  55 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »