Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 9:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Buckingham Central Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Buckingham Central Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Buckingham Central Railroad  (Read 36639 times)
TAB
Historian
Re: The Buckingham Central Railroad

« Reply #80 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 11:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I really like that transfer table. It looks like a giant scissors type car jack. When someone has the time I would be interested in knowing about its design and how it was built. It looks as if the motor turns a long threaded rod that transfers motion to the legs sort of like some garage door openers I’ve seen. How much weight can it support and how was the load capacity determined. What types of skills are needed for this phase of the hobby? It seems as if a degree or two in mechanical and structural engineering would be an asset.

The club near me is closed for the winter but come the spring I will be knocking on their door. I have a lot of sweat…Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #81 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 1:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hello everyone, yes the crossing of the Bruce Raykiewicz bridge for the first time was a great and much anticipated event. Bruce's Atlantic was "talking" the whole way.  There was some concern by some members of crossing the bridge with out the guardrails in place, but it was quickly agreed that it would be no problem changing the name of the bridge to the Bruce Raykiewicz memorial bridge if there was a problem.   . Actually the only accident was when Jim Behnke lost his balance and fell off the bridge to the soft marshy area below. We have since renamed this area as Behnke Bayou in his honor. Fortunately the only thing bruised was his pride. I had hoped to have photo's posted, but our granddaughter came over last night and I lost control of the digital camera. I will get the pictures uploaded shortly. Thanks Bruce for providing the perfect ending to a most productive weekend. On to the next phase.............

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #82 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 9:34pm »

Here is the first photo of Bruce crossing the Bruce Raykiewicz Bridge for the first time.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #83 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 9:41pm »

Here is a view of Jim inspecting the newly laid trackage: Jim lost his balance and fell off the left side and landed to the other side of the palmetto bush to the left of the bridge. We are very happy to report the only thing bruised was his pride.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006, 9:44pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #84 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 9:51pm »

Here is bruce coming through the "S" curve with a full head of steam. Sorry fr the blurring photo, but Bruce was moving along to make the next grade.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #85 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:00pm »

One last shot from "up top" showing Bruce crossing the Bruce Raykiewicz bridge one last time.

PS never try to post photo's when your cat wants to play!

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:01pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #86 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:04pm »

There would have been more........But hey, I wanted to ride too

Coffee
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 5:34am »

Nice photos Bobby. They really show this scenic part of the Buckingham on this new stretch of track. Hope it holds together Bruce but I'm sure you prepared for rain and standing water by using the right combinations of stone. Enjoy! Keep those shots comin'.

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #88 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 9:38pm »

Awesome!

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 12:18am »

Just to let you know, I'm watching.  Awesome.  Gotta sneak down there.  George

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #90 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 9:37pm »

Wow, what a day. We had steamers, steamers and more steamers! LOL. In addition to Bruce and his Atlantic, Brian Masters and his 0-4-0 saddle tank, Bob Dean came by with his 2-8-0 consolidation. Duncan Herring from Georgia, had his Beautifly detailed Southern Rwy Pacific and Ray Heaton came all the way from Illinois with his 2-4-0 and 2-6-0 locomotives.  Duncan also had his GE Diesel demo on hand (which I must say, I was overwhelmed by this engines detail and operation).  I gotta tell you, they were still running after the sun went down! I will be posting photos onto the website this week.  Bobby

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0766.jpg - 95102 Bytes
« Reply #91 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:20pm »

Last weekend, the Buckingham Central had the pleasure of teaming up with Bob Dean Supply, to run the trains on a small portable track for the Cancer walk. At last count we had over 400 passengers that night. Brian Masters little Djilling RWY 0-4-0 did most of the work with Bruce's Goose assisting when needed.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0766.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0758.jpg - 94280 Bytes
« Reply #92 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:22pm »

here is another of the cancer walk photo's. Here Bruce is getting his Goose ready.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0758.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0780.jpg - 90298 Bytes
« Reply #93 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:26pm »

Today we were hosting the Sunshine Region NMRA Convention as a tour layout. The convention itself was hosted by the Scale Rails H.O. Modeling club. Around 40 conventioneer's made the trip out to the track. I think we may have "converted" a few of those "little guagers"
Here we see the station platform is a beehive of activity.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0780.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:33pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0772.jpg - 136237 Bytes
« Reply #94 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:28pm »

Here we see Ron Apt on Bruce's venerable Atlantic, holding at the signal for the hot shot express driven by Pete.

*note: Yes that is a working signal that Pete scratch built just 2 days ago!*

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0772.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:30pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
TAB
Historian

« Reply #95 on: May 2nd, 2006, 9:53am »

Hey B+MNW21201....When you have the time I would appreciate hearing about how the signal system is activated that you mentioned in reply # 156....Tom

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #96 on: May 2nd, 2006, 1:10pm »

TAB, I will have to ask Pete for the details there. I will post the info here. I won't see him until the weekend.  Bobby

TAB
Historian

« Reply #97 on: May 2nd, 2006, 1:26pm »

Hey Bobby... Re: My signal question....thanks for your efforts...Tom

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #98 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:01pm »

TAB, OK here is how the signals work:

There are 2 signal stands each with a red and green LED lights. When a train enters the first isolated/insulated track section (approx 10' section), in this case coming off the arch bridge, it causes a reverse polarity to the signal on the other track causing a red indication. When the train reaches the second isolated/insulated section just before the switch where the two tracks merge, it reverses the polarity again causing a green indication. The same holds true for the second track but in reverse. So if both tracks are empty they are both green, but whoever trips the signal first gets a green while the other is red.  So far it has worked well, although we are limited to our train sizes. You have to keep the train size smallr than the section of track between the 2 isolated sections.  As Bruce had mentioned before, the circuitry is from Duncan Herring of Herring Engineering.  

Sorry for the delay in response but I was on vacation in Key West with the wife!  

TAB
Historian

« Reply #99 on: May 25th, 2006, 9:15am »

Hey B+MNW2 1201....Thanks so much for the information on the signaling system. Sounds like simplicity itself. The train in the block completes a circuit to throw a relay. The relay reverses the electrical polarity to the signal and since the LEDs only allow the current to flow in one direction, they do the rest. Very nice....Tom

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »