Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 9:54pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Buckingham Central Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Buckingham Central Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Buckingham Central Railroad  (Read 36864 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: The Buckingham Central Railroad

« Reply #380 on: Nov 5th, 2010, 11:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

bruce r:  many thanks for the wonderful time spent at the bcrr!  i was hoping for a little bcrr magic...guess who said "we're comin' back!" after we got on the road?!  the magic was there!  our best to the bcrr crew, to pete, to you, and a special thank you to our miss julia-of-the-railroad.  mary has been all smiles and has asked when will we be returning.  perhaps, i've created a larger headache than i had before....!

on Nov 5th, 2010, 8:21pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 My friends,

I wish that I had more pics of more of the friends, family and un-members that enjoyed not only the festivities of Halloween but the fellowship that prevails at the BCRR. But I don't. Sorry.

Attending at our Halloween 2010 gathering was Bobby T. and his better half Lynda, Ron A with his son Cody, friend Mike and his family from Alva, Fl.
Mario did the honors on the mighty Mohawk for hours. Russ D. showed up with his little son Mike.

Trains ran late into the night. With riders, of course. I had to quit first due to my cab light going dead. Momma's critter was next in around nine thirty. So Pete's two locomotives were the last to came back to the steaming bays around ten thirty. WHAT A GREAT DAY !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for following along with yet another good time at the Buckingham Central Railroad.  

thanks again...you folks are hosts beyond compare.

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #381 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 8:42am »

Hokay, Bruce, let's see if I got it straight; You spend a day workin' on a perfectly good switch? I say perfectly good 'cause every piece of owned, begged borrowed or stolen equipment runs through it, with the exception of this tender..... Hmmm. I'm very familiar with the other tender that you mentioned. The owner will tell anyone that it's a PITA (especially when backing). They all are... From Nscale to the prototype, centipedes are a PITA, especially when backing.  

Then, you come back and pull Pete's rolling artwork outta the barn with it's perfectly good tender (as perfect as a centipede can be). I say perfectly good, 'cause it runs fine over the entire railroad, with the exception of that switch, just off the bridge. You grab another friends beautiful diseasel and proceed to push Pete's Hudson, dead, around most of the railroad. You mention the pucker factor of this trip..... as a friend, I should point out that you didn't have a dime in any of this stuff. Let's see... running an experiment, potentially VERY expensive, with other people's gold. Bruce, have you ever considered running for a political office!?

Stones, man. Great big, honkin', coconut size stones. Additionally, based on our conversation, we are left with the postulation that Pete changes his pucker, or "turns the other cheek" when he crosses that damned bridge!    

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #382 on: Nov 19th, 2010, 5:20pm »

Bruce, I think that switch looks real good.  Glad to hear the tender came thru fine, after us rolling the RS-3 all over the place across it the one day.

Greg, Pretty sure that's what he's saying..haha

To all:  Today, I spent about 5 hours out at the BCRR.  While Pete and Chuck were busy at work on non-RR things, Ron A and myself worked on the signal system at the N. reverse diamond.  I feel that a system that looks better in a box, also works better.  And thus, I rebuilt it into a nice old recycled metal box.  We also ran about 400' of new wire to the track and to the signals.  Buried most of it to hide it, and enjoyed the cool weather.  It's the same circuit that was used the night we ran on Halloween, which to our knowledge, worked flawlessly.  I didn't get any pictures but will have to get some tomorrow.  Also, anyone interested in the diagram, just send me a message and I can get you a copy of how it works.  While it might not be a Saturday or weekend, progress still rolls along at the BCRR.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2010, 5:50pm by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #383 on: Dec 2nd, 2010, 1:38am »

Thankyou for the kind words, Bruce.  

While I'm not sure exactly HOW GOOD it works, it's a work in progress.  We are learning by trial and error.  The "North Rev. Diamond" is signalize by a "pick" method of who arrives first, and between that diamond and the South one, an ABS (Automatic Block Signal) guards your rear.  There are a few kinks in it but I think we'll work them out with time to come.  

Tonight's project was designing and building the relay board to control the "South Rev. Diamond" which includes the "pick" method again as well as a Latching Relay for the ABS ahead if you're heading towards the driveway.  

What's to come?  Well, Bruce and I have talked about signalizing the end of the trestle since it's sorta blind.  Maybe another ABS after the end to the reverse loop.  Also, indication lights into the station so you know what track is occupied.  

-Dean

PS- Anyone know how far Garage Door IR Beams will reach between the eyes?

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #384 on: Dec 2nd, 2010, 7:48am »

dean,

ir is a good idea as long as there aren't any stray sources.  having said that, consider using an ir laser diode as your emitter.  the laser diode will give you a couple hundred feet to play with.  just remember that your receiver is the weakest link.  most garage door emitters are good for 30+- feet...possibly more when care is used.

moose

on Dec 2nd, 2010, 1:38am, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thankyou for the kind words, Bruce.  

While I'm not sure exactly HOW GOOD it works, it's a work in progress.  We are learning by trial and error.  The "North Rev. Diamond" is signalize by a "pick" method of who arrives first, and between that diamond and the South one, an ABS (Automatic Block Signal) guards your rear.  There are a few kinks in it but I think we'll work them out with time to come.  

Tonight's project was designing and building the relay board to control the "South Rev. Diamond" which includes the "pick" method again as well as a Latching Relay for the ABS ahead if you're heading towards the driveway.  

What's to come?  Well, Bruce and I have talked about signalizing the end of the trestle since it's sorta blind.  Maybe another ABS after the end to the reverse loop.  Also, indication lights into the station so you know what track is occupied.  

-Dean

PS- Anyone know how far Garage Door IR Beams will reach between the eyes?

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #385 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 1:18am »

Thanks for the info Moose.  And sorry I missed your call.

The big capacitors in the box will soon be gone once we go to all latching relay circuits.  The pivo junc circuit has a latching relay and works quite well.  Currently, our track is a giant switch, which is great until a wire is broke between a joint and the train disappears.  Not to mention the rust on the rails here in SW FL doesn't provide the best constant contact.  Hopefully we'll have it switched over to Latching Relays by Christmas time and this entire area of the railroad will be complete and work somewhat prototypical.

To try to explain the mess of wires...  The box there controls the N. Reverse Diamond.  Two relays "pick" who got there first, another locks out the switch if you're going to the station, and the other 4 control the aspect (Red, Yellow, Green) of the two signals.  Once the latching relays are in place, they will help control the blocks] approaches to the diamond from Pivo Junc and the driveway.  Maybe one day I'll learn enough about ICs to rid the relays and just use little coded chips.

The system of colors is quite simple...
RED-STOP  
YELLOW- APPROACH, NEXT SIGNAL RED
GREEN-PROCEED

Dean

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2010, 1:26am by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
Henry
Historian

« Reply #386 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 2:51pm »

That's pretty cool. Now how long until the dispatcher track occupancy and internet viewing application is done so we can all follow along during meets?

Henry

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #387 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 11:24pm »

Henry, the thought has crossed my mind, trust me.  The other neat things I was trying to plan up was doing some sort of time-lapse for the un-meet somewhere.  I thought that would be neat.  I've done them with a webcam before, so it would just require linking the laptop to it in a safe location.

Dean

Dean
Henry
Historian
  BCRR_HomeOfTheUnmeet900.jpg - 142537 Bytes
« Reply #388 on: Dec 18th, 2010, 3:10pm »

Does the BCRR have a herald? Has anyone designed one yet? I was messing around trying to learn some things in Photoshop (I have always used Paint Shop Pro) and ended up drawing a herald for the BC. Anyone is welcome to use it for anything they like, including turning it into a different herald. I have a large one that is over twice as big as this one (2231 pixels) that anyone is welcome to. The steam loco is from a 1922 learning spanish book by Guillermo Hall, thus I believe its copyright has expired.  

Of course you may hate this herald, that's fine too

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/BCRR_HomeOfTheUnmeet900.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #389 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 10:23am »

Henery,    That is a fine first job.  Now, how about one for Pockets RR?

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #390 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 1:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Henry, That is a fantastic herald. Very nice work.

Henry
Historian
  BCRR_BIG-BC700.jpg - 59953 Bytes
« Reply #391 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 4:59pm »

I'm not thrilled with the early 1990's style Pennsy steam graphic and I sort of look at it as a placeholder for something better. If anyone has ideas or some graphics to contribute, please toss them out here.

Tom, I posted some typefaces in the Clam Lake thread for opinions.

Here's a simplified BCRR herald.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/BCRR_BIG-BC700.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #392 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 7:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Henry, some history of the BCRR's name would probably help here. Peters first track was located on "Buckingham Road", that combined with his love for the New York Central culminated with the Buckingham Central. We used a modified NYC style logo on the back of our T-shirts for the last Un Meet. But, I am thinking how cool would it be to have a nice herald to use to make an observation card drum head.

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #393 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 2:11pm »

That's really nice Henry!  

So if we combine Henry's logo with the NYC BCRR one... we get a Santa Fe modified logo style?  Just wondering..hmmm

Dean

Dean
Henry
Historian

« Reply #394 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 4:31pm »

Right, I now remember seeing the NYC style shirts! Silly me! Anyone have a good photo of the logo on it?

Henry

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #395 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 12:41pm »

Hi folks!

Since I know next to nothing about live steam, I have a question about the previous post's photo.

What size or scale is that steam locomotive?  I am quite impressed with that size-seems to be much larger than what I normally expect to see for live steam.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Henry
Historian

« Reply #396 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 5:24pm »

OK, the cigar band logo. I can work with that.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Henry

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #397 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:22pm »

I'm skipping some major area's of what has been going on here at the BCRR over the past 2 days.  Both Friday and Saturday were "work" days.  Bruce has all the pictures so I'll let him put up what has been in the works.

Skipping ahead to today, January 2nd, 2010.  WHAT A DAY.  In celebration of Pete's Birthday (he was turning 39, again, haha) and Mario's birthday and the New Year...We ran some trains....

I awoke to the annoying sounds of my alarm clock, which I hit snooze til about 9:15, and finally made it to the BCRR by 10:00.  On the way out to the track, I got the dreaded phone call.  Bruce was sick, so he was not going to be there.  He said he was eating plenty of oranges off his tree and drinking vitamin C like no ones business so I'm sure he'll pop back to life within a few days, or turn into an orange.  Get well soon Bruce, we sure did miss you.

Ron Abt and myself rolled the flatcar with the generator out to the front area of the track, to "dust the rails".  It's amazing how much rust will build up when there hasn't been a train over the rails in a few weeks.  So, we cleaned a few contacts and boom bada bing, the signal system was back in operation.  By the end of the day, they were shiny!  Great, what's next..

Well, it was time to roll out the guns.  By that, the RS-3 was pulled out and started switching the yard.  There wasn't a SINGLE derail in the yard during switching, shoving cars, pulling cars, nothing!  In the mean time, the Hudson was rolled out and the Mohawk.  By 10:45, there were not 1, not 2, BUT THREE good sized trains moving about the railroad.  Not a single derail, accident, or flaw.  It was sweet!  We had a great lunch, plenty of BBQ, coleslaw, cake.    I think I probably covered over 20 miles on the Hudson by the time we put them in the bays at 5ish.  

(I added the lights for effect)

Well, if all that running wasn't enough, we decided to take the RS-3, slug, and 12 cars and reverse the railroad.  Mind you, we've never done this before.  We always joke about being lost running our normal direction... Try thinking how to get somewhere running the opposite way!  We made a trip, by the time we got back, the light was gone, it was pitch black.  What a crazy experience, it's a whole different trip!

Sorry for rambling but it was a rather exciting day!  Bruce, get well soon!

Dean

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #398 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 6:43pm »

To all,
Since Bruce R has been gone, and he is our usual updater, I guess I should chime in to keep the log going on the BCRR...

This past Saturday (Jan 15, 2011) was full of a few little projects as I can remember: Ron A, Chuck, and myself spent most of the day at the driveway crossing.  Chuck has designed a crossing circuit to trigger the lights and bell, then the gate arm, and hold them down until the train clears the crossing.  So running wires, and figuring out what is what took a while.  As I left on Sat, it was not finished but a good deal of work and progress had been made.  Also, Ron, myself, and Pete worked on a 10' on the Northbound track right after the I-beams.  And replaced rail and added some new ties.  I tamped it in place but just ran out of time and energy to tweak it up right.

A few other faces showed up, including Russel to work on the Atlantic.  With the help of Pete and Bobby, he removed one injector, cleaned the boiler and tubes out and refitted plugs. He was making some good progress on the old girl.  Pete and Bobby were also working doors for the roundhouse.  Also in the works by Ron #2, is the G scale.  A large amount of dirt has been put in place around the pivo pond for the layout, including retaining walls.

This is pretty much it for now, I can't remember what else was happening, but I'm sure I missed some project...

Dean

Dean
pockets
Historian

« Reply #399 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:10pm »

"Pivo Pond"? Now, there's a term I haven't heard before. Someone's gotta elaborate on that one.....

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »