Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 2:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Buckingham Central Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Buckingham Central Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Buckingham Central Railroad  (Read 36861 times)
Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: The Buckingham Central Railroad

« Reply #320 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 1:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry to hear about the cold weather down there, at least you're still able to make some progress.  Maybe I missed it, but will the signals be automatic?

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #321 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 7:20pm »

Planning automatic signals, which will be interesting circuits to say the least.  We're looking at a timer mechanism to cover the time the train crosses the steel bridge, since that can't easily be a track circuit.  

And Bruce is right, Florida is quite literally freezing over.  I'm sitting at home (sick) next to the roaring fire right now.  But at any case, I had a hell of a good time down there in the BCRR shop.

Dean

Dean
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #322 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 11:10am »

Sorry to hear that the cold hit your neck of the woods.  Now you know why we dress in layers up in the north woods to survive the Cold.  Keep warm and toasty and your normal weather will return as soon as global warming kicks in. (VBG)  Thank heavens for heaters and that Pete didn't throw it out many moons ago.  Ours is the wood stove in the roundhouse.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #323 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 12:54pm »

Sorry I missed the huttle in the shop. I was tring to keep dry at work. I got in this morning and there was a 1/4" sheet of ice in the beds of the trucks.
Next week end isn't supposed to be any nicer from what I hear.
Russ

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #324 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 5:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Tom, believe me, we were discussing  where to put the future pot bellied stove!

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #325 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 6:32am »

Hi

on Jan 10th, 2010, 7:20pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Planning automatic signals, which will be interesting circuits to say the least.  We're looking at a timer mechanism to cover the time the train crosses the steel bridge, since that can't easily be a track circuit.

Why is it not possible to use a track circuit or a switch?  

A timer dose not guarantee that a train actualy has passed the track, only that is drove into the track x second ago. Also if time is high you limit the number of trains that can pass.

Steen Rudberg
BTW;  Happy New Year to you all

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
dgmarklin
Historian
  IM1.jpg - 26123 Bytes
« Reply #326 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 1:29pm »

Mr. Rudberg,
The rails on the bridge are welded as well as screwed directly into the steel bridge deck plate.  A circuit is not possibly across this bridge due to that it would also be in the "closed/on" position constantly.   The track circuits approaching as well as after the bridge will be in far place and hold the train in the block as it crosses the bridge from the time it leaves the circuit before the bridge.  Once the engine gets right across the bridge, it shall proceed through the Clear signal at Pivo Interlock or hold it's status in the block by being in the +/- 8' section of track after the bridge.  My thought was to put a block indication light for the engineer to recognize he/she is still activating the block signal circuit with his/her place.  

We thought about a manual pole switch that you would hit going pass to activate the system (still a thought, real easy to put into place) but then what if someone forgets to hit it and all of sudden ends up with a STOP signal and a train in front of them at pivo? BAM.

Attached image is of the current track plan at the Pivo Diamond, this is still in a drawing board state but we've got to get something in place quick.  That live steam meet is around the bend!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IM1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dean
dgmarklin
Historian
  IM1-2.jpg - 42684 Bytes
« Reply #327 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 1:54pm »

OK,
So above is the track plan, showing the approximate blocks at Pivo Interlock.  Below is the electrical circuit which would protect the diamond.  Let me try to disect this out, and explain in simple terms some of the reasoning behind the way I have it set currently.  Remember, this is only version beta 1.01..

OK, so, let's start at the power supply.  
Power: The system will run off of 12VDC, Pete has plenty of batteries as well as power supplies and solar panels for 12VDC.  12volt parts are easy to replace, get ahold of, and replace in case something happens or if something fails.  He indicated he wanted the system in 12VDC but we could technically use an AC system here too, the same logic is involved no matter what.  

SW1:  This is the main switch to power the system.  It is easily accessible on the outside of the control box (located in the center of the system somewhere).  

R1 TOP:  Relay "1", I know there's two, but the top most one, is the system on/fault light.  This relay doesn't have to be here at all really but I figured it would be a good idea to place a system on light as well as a "fuse blown light" deal on the system.  Only will the fuse blow if there is too much power draw or a short.  You could actually put this circuit into place with a battery backup unit so if the main power goes out, this shows it's on backup power.

LC MAIN (TC1, TC2):  These are the track circuits approaching and after the diamond on the Lewis & Clark Mainline

PIVO (TC3, TC4):  These are the track circuits for NB and SB pivo tracks.

SW2,  LGT3 :  This switch along with LGT3 is located near the water tank filler' up spot.  The crew shall throw the switch to release them and disappear out of the block so the other tracks can get the right of way when needed.  Once done at the tank, they'll flip back the switch to enter the block and get a clear when it's safe.  I did mess up this circuit a little bit on here, the PIVO SB signal will be changed up so where it won't show a green when the switch is throw to "filling up".  The LGT 3 is located at the switch, and reminds the engineer he's gotta throw that back to proceed.

ADJUSTABLE DELAY: This is the timer that is activated when the train leaves the TC1 track block.  It's adjustable from anywhere ranging 10 to 20 seconds most likely to count the time down as the train travels across the bridge.  

R1,R3 :  These relays control the main logic of the system.  Without power to the track, the other relay can't fire; protecting the system from two Clear signals.  Power "on" in the relay powers R2, R4...more or less...

R2,R4:  These two relays control the Red/Green indications of the signals at Pivo.  No power to the relay throw, no Green signal.  Power=Green signal.  This creates a "fail safe".  You'll notice that R2 handles the Approach Signal as well.  If LC gets the clear, the approach goes green.  If LC gets a stop signal, the approach goes yellow.  By the time the engineer can see the approach signal (about the little 10' bridge) he'll already have the block or be having to wait.  R4 handles both directions of Pivo.  We could split the pivo tracks so both operate independently but I figured that if the engineer approaching the diamond can see the green, he'll most likely already be entering the block.  If he ends up catching the red after he first saw the green (at least 40' out) that's enough time to ease it into a stop.  Remember, PIVO tracks are not the main line but they do have a bit of right of way too...

SIGNALS:  The signals are made up by Peter.  He found some neat LEDs at Wally-World that are 12VDC and work great but a few are blown already from someone putting a mis-voltage on them.  We've also located some smaller ones which would be neat for an old tri-color signal head but arn't as bright.  My thought is good to see them as far as you can to start stopping if need be.  I'll leave this part up to him for the most part.  

Remember, this is just the beginning version, a rough draft.  I've checked the logic, and to me it isn't able to give a doomed double clear signal unless a relay sticks into the on position (not too likely to happen).  No trains are to pass a stop signal unless the cross route is flagged safely.

I think I've said enough in one post, my fingers are cramped now and I got to go to chemistry class...  

Dean

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (42684 bytes, 988x550 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IM1-2.jpg - 42684 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2010, 2:07pm by dgmarklin » Logged

Dean
Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #328 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 6:10pm »

Dean

Greate    Now I get that with the timer.

I see that you have put in a good deal of time in this.  
The only thing is if the train coming from TC1 to TC2 is too slow the timer will time-out before it is at TC2, but then it will get a stop anyway.  
Maybe Set/Reset setup would be better.....just to lock the signals untill it has passed.
BTW R2 & R4 needs ground

Steen Rudberg
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #329 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 11:16pm »

Agh!  You're right.  

I'm also probably going to change up the Pivo NB and Pivo SB signal so they are more or less independent.  Example of Reasoning:  If the engineer sees a green from about 200' down the track from the signal, looks down and shovels coal and doesn't get his head out of the cab, it could be trouble when he is 15' from the signal and it is red... Separating out the signals would stop the opposing pivo from going green unless he/she is the train in the circuit.  Make sense?

Yes, indeed, the timer could time out but to cause this the train must be at a creep or have stopped on the bridge.  I wouldn't doubt that some of those trains won't activate the timer until they are already holding the small track circuit at the diamonds because of how long they sometimes run a trainset.  But we all must remember that the bridge is approx 50' in length.

Dean
Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #330 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 4:58am »

Dean

Maybe you should have two relaies for TC1 & TC2 and then use some diode logic.  
Or, if you use a self-locking relay for TC1 and let TC2 break the power for that relay, then you can do with out the timer.  

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2010, 4:58am by Steen_Rudberg » Logged

Steen Rudberg
BobbyT
Former Member
  100_0663.jpg - 87487 Bytes
« Reply #331 on: Jan 17th, 2010, 3:03pm »

OT photo: Here is Max getting his morning caffeine fix.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0663.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #332 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 1:22pm »

Bruce,
    Now there is one hell of an engineer, watching where he is going. Novel idea, now if only some adults would learn by example from this 5 yr old. I have to say, that is a nice shot you took of the trackage out front, showing the diamonds and switches and nice curves. You guys should really be proud of your SUPERIOR workmanship. Bravo!!!!!
Russell

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #333 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 6:47pm »

BCRR Gang,
Great pictures!  It looks like you guys had a great time running the new loop.  I am so glad to see the 44T out, I love to see it run around the track and I hope you use it as much as possible.  It's great to see other people run your equipment and that it's getting used.  (BTW, I hope to get down there and get the shell back on the rest of the way...the three wires need to be ran through the square hole to get the cab all the way down on the frame...)

It looks like Cody did a great job!  I remember him when I met Ron, he was so small at the time.  And to watch where he is going!?  That's great!  On the "real" railroad, you always protect your shoving moves.  The same goes for us, watch your points and where you are going!

Bruce, I think you saw the photo of the diagram for the electric for Pivo Interlocking. Give me call sometime and we'll figure out a few things and change it to work a bit better and test it out.  I think we've got a start on it now...

Keep up the pictures, especially those with a certain little black and orange striped engine in them.

Dean
ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #334 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 6:59pm »

Bruce,
  That signal looks SWEET!!
Russell

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #335 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 12:41pm »

Bruce,
    Any word yet on who and what is going to be at the 2010 un-Meet?
Russ

BobbyT
Former Member
  finallyhome.jpg - 100359 Bytes
« Reply #336 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:27am »

With all of the recent improvements at the BCRR I thought I would post a couple photo's of the first year at this location. I apologize for the quality of some of the photo's but the digital camera I had then was terrible.

the first photo was the moment the Hudson was brought to the track for the first time. it had been stored off site until the transfer table and storage area had been built.  

Note we only had 2 steaming bays and no stone work.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/finallyhome.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:45am by BMNW21201 » Logged
BobbyT
Former Member
  doubleheader.jpg - 88886 Bytes
« Reply #337 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:29am »

Butch Theroux was an early regular at both the old track and this one. Here he is pulling the Mohawk around the first loop to see if she would go around.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/doubleheader.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Former Member
  BruceClearingTheStation.jpg - 33546 Bytes
« Reply #338 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:31am »

Here is Bruce double heading with a "cold" Mohawk just leaving Nancy station. Note the junk behind the train is where the enclosed welding shop area of the barn is now. If you look carefully you can see Pete standing on the far side of the building. That area is the car barn but at this point it is still open air horse stalls.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/BruceClearingTheStation.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:43am by BMNW21201 » Logged
BobbyT
Former Member
  BruceR.jpg - 31999 Bytes
« Reply #339 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:34am »

Bruce double heading with the "cold" Mohawk in the area of what is now Pivo Jct. Pivo Patio is just a future idea at this point. Our old friend Ben Schneider is riding along.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/BruceR.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:35am by BMNW21201 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »