Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Buckingham Central Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Buckingham Central Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Buckingham Central Railroad  (Read 36815 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: The Buckingham Central Railroad

« Reply #180 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 10:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Bruce,
You may color me properly impressed. The yard looks great and will be very useful, soon..... Give Bobby a big "Thumbs Up!" It seems his talents are legion.

Would I be wrong in wagering that the structural steel, in that roundhouse, will be electrically fused into one piece? When a hurricane comes, everybody's gonna run to Pete's roundhouse for shelter!

Way to go, Gang,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #181 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 6:59am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg, as usual you have hit the nail on the proverbial head. The steel will in fact be welded. I will be creating the short stub leads at the turntable, out of angle iron this week. Then we still need to build up the engine house pad 12" to 18". Once that is done, we will do our final vertical measurements and cut the posts accordingly. (which is why they are at staggered heights now).  With an internal track length of 16' I think we should be able to accomodate anything that visits.  

Greg, what is the overall width for your scale narrow gauge equipment?  

Bobby

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #182 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 7:21am »

Wow!!  I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for you guys.  It's great to see dedicated people with a work ethic that doesn't stop...great for you and I hope the roundhouse follows through.  I only wish I could head down there myself to witness everything for myself.

Thanks for the pics,
Colin

pockets
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 7:34am »

Bobby,  
Thanks for your consideration. You know that George is moving to this scale, as well, don't you? At any rate, #15's roof will be around 28 1/4" wide.

Great job, guys,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #184 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 6:43pm »

That is looking pretty good Bruce. You guys do great work. The turntable pad with the dog on it (LOL) is very impressive looking, You guys sure are doing allot up there. I canít wait to see the compellation.

Anthony

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 1:23pm »

on Oct 29th, 2007, 12:59pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
† Guys,

† It seems that I was "called on the carpet" somewhat for posting too much about the Buckingham Central.

Keep it up, Bruce.  Those that aren't interested don't have to read about it.  If they have not learned how to skim past info they are not interested in, it is about time they did.  I certainly find it interesting reading, and I would think others would as well.  

George

pockets
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 3:06pm »

What variety of misbegotten so and so could find anything to whine about in your coverage of the BC? Many of us, out here, anxiously await your postings. Especially those of us who are on the verge of ground breaking for their own roads.

If you don't like a tv show, you change the channel. If you're just a Live Steam wannabe, skip this thread!

Greg B.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #187 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 6:21pm »

I always look forward to hearing about this group. The amount of work you guys got done is impressive. Anyone wants to come over to the Railroad Museum of Long Island. There is [plenty to do around there LOL. But really that i9s very impressive. You guys are doing a great job

Anthony

pockets
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 1:31pm »

It just gets better and better. Thanks for the photos, Bruce, here and in the other threads.The roundhouse is going to be awsome, the tank is a very worthy replacement for the garden hose and the trackwork, as usual, shows the touch of a master.

Can't wait for my next visit,
Greg B.

SnG42
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #189 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:07pm »

Building a railroad is an incredible amount of work and no little headscratching. a little pride is justified. Those who are critical of your writing should try it.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #190 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 10:28pm »

Thanks for the kind words. Not to beat our chests but to reenforse what Bruces has been saying, we at the BCRR have been blessed with a great group of like minded individuals. It is truly amazing what you can accomplish once you take the "politics" out of the equation. The real secret to how much we accomplish is that we all have our own little areas of expertise (though that is not the word I'm looking for). For instance, Bruce and Ron love to do track work with a passion, I don't. I love to build up the engine facilities area. Pete loves to fabricate and machine. Don, whose health doesn't allow him much mobility it happy cutting up wood for ties. Marvin who is the newest to the group is also proving invaluable in taking on projects and running with them. Pete allows us to explore our ow abilities and is always ready to help with advice or labor, but only if we ask. You could not ask for a better and more accomidating track owner. I guess to summarize this sermonette, I would have to say that we get so much done so fast because it is not work, it is fun.  

Now, before you guys ask, a few notes about the pending engine house. The track leads as you see them had to be made from steel as such to mate properly with the turntable lock. The rest of the radiating trackage will be standard aluminum rail on ties. The leads as you can see in Bruces photo's are about 15 inches off the ground. This entire area will be filled in and a retaining wall will be built around the entire engine house pad. I have planned for 6 tracks inside and 3 additional outside storage tracks. The structure will be weather tight to give us some much needed overnight storage during meets. The steel in the pictures will be cut to finish height once the pad fill is in place and final measurements are done. The 4 inner bays will have 24" wide openings and the 2 end bays will have 30" openings to allow for any 3.5" scale visiting equipment (hint hint Pockets).

Thats all for now. I or Bruce will post some up dates after this weekend.

Bobby

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 10:37pm »

Bruce again great pics,  it is truly amazing what  a few dedicated  people are capable of.   Bobby the round house project looks great.  That will be a nice addition to the railroad.  I can already see the future pics  the round house will provide ,a steamer poking out of each stall.  great work guys. I wish I was there to help.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #192 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 11:50am »

Ray, we are just getting ready for your steamers to be poking their noses out of the roundhouse for pictures! I am looking forward to a full house of Mikados, Mohawks, Husons, Northerns, Pacific and of course Atlantics.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #193 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 7:22pm »

Great work guys. That thing is really looking good. But Bot you guys work pretty fast and do a good job at what you build!

Anthony

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2007, 7:23pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #194 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 12:50pm »

Way to go, Bobby!! Sure wish I was in the area, to help.

Bruce, et al, that low trestle work, in the back ground, looks NICE.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 11:25pm »

Bruce,
Again, thanks for the pics.

A lifetime ago, there was a Rock n Roll band called the Buckinghams. They were what we called "One hit wonders"> Well, Pete's little band of Buckinghams just keeps cranking out the hits!

Greg B.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #196 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 7:01am »

Yes Greg, we keep ROCKING and ROLLING along. It is going to be a challange, but I hope to have the roundhouse funtional by February. This retaining wall is by far the most time consuming portion.  

Bobby

pockets
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 8:55pm »

Dang, there's gonna be so much new stuff that you guys are going to have to be tour guides!

Two quick queries; 1. In response #472, does Pete know where his indicator base went? 2. In the next to last pic, does the Chairperson of the Board know where the ladder to her pool is?

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2007, 8:57pm by pockets » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #198 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 9:43am »

Greg let me answer those quieries:

1) yes he does, but it is not the one you see, that one is mine and works real well for this application.

2) probably not, but since the pool has "deflated" to the point that one only has to step over the side to get in, it is not an issue.

Bruce, thanks for the kind words but lets not make too much out of it. Compared to the works of others, this is just "playing with blocks".

pockets
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Dec 14th, 2007, 8:37pm »

Okay, Bruce, we cut ya some slack, dis week. Between the roundhouse, tank and pevo pass, we gotta have some pictures next week. Otherwise Vinny an' Guido will be around ta see ya. I know, they're your cousins, anyway.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2007, 8:38pm by pockets » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »