Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 19th, 2017, 7:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Buckingham Central Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   The Buckingham Central Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Buckingham Central Railroad  (Read 36869 times)
B+MNW21201
Former Member
Re: The Buckingham Central Railroad

« Reply #100 on: Jun 9th, 2006, 1:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Whew, I finally was able to add some photo's to the web site for the cancer run and Scale Rails Convention tour. You know, there is just not enough hours in the day!

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #101 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 1:59pm »

That turntable pivot is a modified (cutoff the control arm) spindle from a Volkswagon Rabbit. When I first met Pete, he owned a Rabbit that he restored, and had a few spare parts. So when it came time to build the turntable one was "volunteered" for the task. I have to admit, it has worked flawlessly for the last 4-5 years. Yes, all the original bearings are used. Of course a fair amount of the weight is supported by the rail / rollers on the ends.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #102 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 3:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks, B&M.

Volkswagon, huh. I'd have suspected something significantly more substantial, but people have been underestimating those things for years. Since the ring rail carries a large percentage of the weight; ie it's not a balanced table, I can see the logic. I also agree with the frugality of using what's handy. I can't remember where I heard it, but a partial quote is, "To make, of what is here, that which is needed." Not a bad philosophy.

Thanks, again,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #103 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 5:42pm »

Nice philosophy. Being the "cheap" sort myself, I try to do exactly that.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 6:42pm »

B&M,
I like the picture of the switcher. However, if that main generator ever needs re-brushed, get someone else to do it. Those bottom brushes are a back breaker. You go in, on your back, through those short doors. Your feet and legs are out on the running board and the bottom end of your spine rests on the door sill. Got the t-shirt AND the hat for that one!

I love trains and models, but I don't miss working on the real ones one bloody bit.

Have a great one,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #105 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:34pm »

on Jun 20th, 2006, 6:42pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
B&M,
I like the picture of the switcher. However, if that main generator ever needs re-brushed, get someone else to do it. Those bottom brushes are a back breaker. You go in, on your back, through those short doors. Your feet and legs are out on the running board and the bottom end of your spine rests on the door sill. Got the t-shirt AND the hat for that one!

I love trains and models, but I don't miss working on the real ones one bloody bit.

Have a great one,
Greg B.

Greg, thanks for the tip. My NW2 will have a completely removable bdy just so I can avoid resting my spine on the door sill. LOL  

Someday I will stop being lazy and snap some in progress photo's.

Bobby

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:35pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #106 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 5:38pm »

I have added some new photo's on the web site, in the project update section. One is some photos of the bridges and some photo's of the beginning stages of our most ambitious project yet. the Up & Over trestle.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2006, 6:02pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #107 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 1:14pm »

A quick note; The blue and yellow hopper was also scratch built by Pete and the CP Rail riding gon, by yours truly.  
The vast majority of rolling stock at the BCRR is home built and more are in the works. There is something to be said for the "extra" feeling of satisfaction when you take one of your "own" around the track for the first time. Bobby

pockets
Historian

« Reply #108 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:16pm »

Bobby,
If you guys aren't careful, you're gonna end up with one heckuva railroad.  

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2013, 10:00pm by Brian Tusin » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #109 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 11:28pm »

You know Pockets, I don't think that would bother Pete one bit. LOL

Though, I must admit, I have been scarce at the track as of late. It seems since I spend 12 hours a day in an air conditioned office, I no longer can handle the summer heat. At 46 I feel like 72!. But cooler weather s coming so I expect to be active again. To tell you the truth, I do not know how Pete, Bruce and Don do it!

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0054.jpg - 243051 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:25pm »

Did someone say pictures? Well here we go. It was great to spend the day with George. Bruce's Atlantic lived up to its well earned reputation as a heavy weight puller!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0054.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:25pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0051.jpg - 170077 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:27pm »

Here is another angle of Bruce going under the trestle.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0051.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:37pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0056.jpg - 109367 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:31pm »

Check out the exhaust, the combination of 21 cars and a slight grade really forced to Atlantic to work. But as GOD is my witness, that little Atlantic ran flawlessly and had absolutely no problems pulling the weight. We guesstimated a combined weight of 2.5 tons behind her!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0056.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0044.jpg - 104749 Bytes
« Reply #113 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:33pm »

Howard Pike would be proud, his Wabash caboose is making the rounds. Here she is on the BCRR main line.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0044.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member
  100_0049.jpg - 140822 Bytes
« Reply #114 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:36pm »

Heres another shot of the entire train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_0049.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #115 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 10:17am »

Rob,
George called me, on his way home. He raved about the great time he had. I truely regret not being able to make the trip, but life sometimes gets in the way.

Your photos of the train should quiet the doubters as to the pulling ability of Bruce's Atlantic. That thing should be painted John Deere green!

Pete's railroad will, undoubtedly, become one of the premier roads in the country. It's already well on the way. The bridges, alone, place it head and shoulders above most.

Thanks for the invitation. I just have to take a raincheck. This is a trip that I WILL make.

Greg B.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #116 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 12:32pm »

Nice pics B+MNW21201

Bruce, your Atlantic is stronger than I thought to pull all of those cars
~AnthonyD~

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #117 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 2:18pm »

Greg,
I can fully appreciate about having to deal with lifes issues. Your invite is always good and we look forward to your visit. That is WHEN and not if you visit.  

You are probably correct about Pete's track being one of the premiere tracks but not for the reasons you stated. I think it is one of the better tracks because of the attitude and cameraderie of the participants. Being an UN-CLUB, we don't get bogged down with rules or opinions. We just enjoy playing with the trains and workin on the railroad. And one other major difference is we enjoy introducing newcomers to the hobby.  

You know yourself, how much labor, time and love goes into building one of these locomotives. And some would be  overly protective. But here, guys like Pete and Bruce love to take the time and show people of all ages, what a thrill it is to run a real live steamer. There are many in the hobby today that got their start on the back of a certain "Erie" Atlantic.

We emphisize the positive aspects of the hobby and we promote the hobby as well. This for no other reason, makes us different.

*reads over post* WOW it must be Sunday cause I just wrote a sermon!  

Bobby

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_308.jpg - 100006 Bytes
« Reply #118 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 8:15pm »

hi all!

to pete, bruce, bobby, and crew of the bcrr...WOW!  did i ever have a good time!  the bcrr is one hell of a railroad that simply has to be experienced...period!  from the first moment i set foot on the property, it's affable owner made me feel right at home.  i could write a book of my experiences with the bcrr and it's crew, but 'WOW' will have to do!

it was a time of great railroading, great friendship, and great comraderie.  i have no other words to describe it so i'll say "many, many thanks for a great time!"  i hope to return and visit with the complete crew of the bcrr in the not too distant future...after all, we were having such a great time, we forgot to load the 'erie' caboose into my truck!  hmmm, any excuse to return!

i took more than 375 photos during my visit, here are a few of my favorites.  i'll post more later on.

thank you again to pete, mrs pete, bruce, bobby, bcrr crew, and dogs for making my visit to the bcrr the highlight of my railroad year!

yes, pockets, you will be going with me next trip!  tell bill to eat his heart out...in this pic, bruce's backing the whole train around!  talk about what that erie-atlantic can do!  can bill's le atlantic do this?!  maybe he should visit sometime and try!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_308.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_259.jpg - 39179 Bytes
« Reply #119 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 8:25pm »

hi all!

like any other great railroad, the bcrr has it's own railfans...uh oh!  that's bobby!

moose the caboose;D

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_259.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  29 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »