Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29069 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #980 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

bruce:  thanks for your encouragement, it means more than words could say.  i was back at the lcrr today...everything changes, and then nothing does.  angie sends his regards, he thinks of you often when he looks out over the railroad.

to all:  it is often said that you can never go home and feel like it was the same when you left.  i felt that today, not the lcrr's fault, they're still doing what they always do.  it is i, who've changed.  it became overwhelmingly clear to me today...the difference is that i build and they strive just to maintain.  no ego involved, just fact.  it was funny to meet some of the newer members?!  to have them ask me my name and if i was in the 'hobby' like they were, their hearts a'flutter' about learning to drive their 'club' engine! ...and yes, some of the ole-timers were there today.  it gladdens my heart to see howard and delores still making it out to the track and (howard) seeing to the 'kissing-of-the-hands' of the young ladies who put a donation in the box.  tom e was there, still doing trackwork.  'lil' jimmy, the diesel phreak, (all he wanted to do was run an engine) has grown up and now wants to build his own equipment.  i hope he does, it will give him a new perspective on the hobby and his part in it.  what was i there for?  why, to deliver alex's bobber caboose!

...but first, here's how the lamps turned out.

...and yes, the lamp light output is low on purpose, whale oil didn't have many lumens of light.  the photo below is alex inspecting the work i did.

well, that's all for the bobber caboose for the time being.  alex asked me to consider taking his b-s powered critter and making it run on electrons...what do you think i said?!!  after i found out that nobody else there understood how to do it or was willing to?  well, i gave him a few things to think about and now i'm going to go look in my 'junk' box for what will be an interesting 're-build' this winter.  for now, i just want him to enjoy his train.

moose

Henry
Historian

« Reply #981 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 11:35am »

Very nice Moose! Thanks for sharing the process.

Henry

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #982 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 11:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Looking good!

But now the question. Why would a caboose have a couple of headlamps? For backing?

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #983 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 10:57am »

hi all,

dick: the gentleman pictured spent much of his early military career working in a supply depot.  he wanted a caboose that referenced his experiences.  being one of the 'greatest generation', they did with what they had.  the army supplied the best materials for the fighting men, but if you were working stateside...well, the best benefit was not being shot at.  everyone worked for the war effort, so the job had to get done.  the supply depot folks needed rail equipment so they accepted cast-offs from the nation's railroads.  since you didn't know what materials you'd be working with, the 'office' also became part of a shoving platform(a couple of flats would be ahead of it).  normally, you wouldn't put loco lamps on a caboose, but they needed them.  why not a more modern lamp?  it's what alex remembered.   they did with what they had, no matter how old it was.

the building of his caboose was more to honor his wife, alice, but also to honor his service as well.  both he and alice were very much in love, even in her decline.  very few people at the lcrr knew of her problems until they became evident.  alex would bring her to the park and put her in a chair under the shade of the trees.  she became part of the railroad, everybody waving at her as they went by...she loved the kids.  alex tended to her needs quietly and without complaint whether at home or at the railroad.  alex is a shy person and more...those who wish to argue with him over some small point will find that while they were knit-picking with someone else, he's quietly packed his tent and gone.  alex facinates me because he always seems to understand what's important in life.  my guess is that's what made him valuable in the supply depot.

i will always support alex and his generation, we own them so much.  and you could add the military personnel of all conflicts to current day.  you can't appreciate the freedom you have until you know the blood it cost.  the nation's treasury isn't measured in gold, silver, or even dollars, it is the people who put freedom above their own self-interest.

ever your servant,

moose

on Jul 4th, 2010, 11:31pm, Dick_Morris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looking good!

But now the question. Why would a caboose have a couple of headlamps? For backing?

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #984 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 9:31pm »

Moose,  

That sounds like a good reason to me.  

As a 22 year Air Force veteran from a generation later than Alex, I appreciate all your comments.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #985 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 10:30pm »

George,
All of us who have "worn the uniform" appreciate your thoughts and sentiments.

Dick,
Thanks for your service. I'm just an old 'nam hand, who's glad he could help, a little. This weekend reminds me that I've seen better men than I could ever be, wrapped in their own ponchos...

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2010, 10:31pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #986 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 4:17pm »

hi all,

the moose has been loose in michigan and is still loose in wisconsin...more later!

pockets:  i can't thank you and your family enough for your hospitality!!!  i cherish my time with each of you.

moose

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2010, 4:17pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #987 on: Jul 14th, 2010, 7:59am »

George,
As usual, it was great seeing you. Your visits are never long enough. I have, however, started using up some of those moose droppings you left on my welding bench. Gotta getta new camera!!!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #988 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 4:39pm »

hi all,

well, the moose is back home again.  my time with pockets and family was waaaay too short!  i enjoyed every minute of it, even if it cost me a couple of axles due to long hours and no sleep!

while i was 'a-travelin', milwaukee and manitowoc were also on my itinerary due to family ties.  so what did i find in the home of a family member?  well, here's a look at a victorian lamp of the period...

and what the 'moose' did...not quite as ornate, but serviceable...

on the whole, a good job, but...there's a lot more construction and finishing skills to be learned in the not-too-distant future!  stay tuned for the next project!!

moose

DTI973
Enthusiast

« Reply #989 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 7:25pm »

Moose,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years, admiring your work and ethic.
I'm at a point where I am about to attempt to build a caboose of my own.
I have several questions I hope you'll answer.

How do you cut out your window openings?

What do you use for primer for your wood and how do you apply it?  

It appears as though your color paints are sprayed on. What brands do you use and is it rattle cans or do you use a spray gun?  

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress

Thanks,
Brian B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #990 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 10:03pm »

hi all,

brian:  first, welcome to the live steam threads here on railfan.net!  second, thank you for the compliments on my work.  as many here think, your reputation is made by your hands, not your words.

to answer your questions.

1.  How do you cut out your window openings?

personally, i use a sabre saw with a fine cutting wood blade.  if you aren't sure of what you can do, you can carefully drill out near the corners and use a keyhole saw.  you want to undercut the final opening so that you can fit your window frame to it.  i started using traditional dollhouse window units and re-shaped them to my needs.  for the newbie builder, using the narrower windows that are still available, will lend a better finished look than the way most people just cut the window opening and use strip-wood to fill it in.

2.  What do you use for primer for your wood and how do you apply it?  

since plywood bleeds resins and absorbs moisture, i use a stain killing primer like kilz or kilz 2.  the cruder the plywood, the more coats it will take.  the best plywood to use is either a fine grained furniture grade or if you can get it, an aircraft grade or a marine grade.  the greater number of thin plys means the possibility of fewer voids and the less chance of internal stresses will cause warping.  typically, 3 ply sheets (big box lumber store plywoods) warp like crazy even before they are cut.  be frugal, not cheap!  spend the money where it counts...you'll be happier with the results and not waste money or time trying to out-smart what you can't see or control.  cheap plywood is what it is.  the stain killer is carefully applied by brush.  not only do i want to seal the wood, but i want to control the visible grain.  when i'm looking at cabooses in the yard, i usually find the guys who spent time and energy on their projects by the lack of visual plywood grain.  by using a fine haired brush, i can create a grain structure that looks closer to what you would find while looking at the full size cars.  the technique is easy to learn, but takes care to do.  wait until each coat has cured and wet sand to remove any grain structure still visible from the plywood before using the 'graining' technique on the last primer coat.

3.  It appears as though your color paints are sprayed on. What brands do you use and is it rattle cans or do you use a spray gun?  

yes, you are right!  i do use 'rattle cans'.  could i do the same thing with a detail gun?  yes, but for me, the rattle cans are a convenience.  as such i most frequently use rust-o-leum and valspar.  a couple of years ago, i found the rusty-o rusty primer was a close match for boxcar brown.  for the ic caboose, i used valspar cherry red.  it has a lustrous laquer-like finish that you can build up to what you want, but...like laquer, it will run like crazy!  practice before you try this paint on any project!  like laquer, it will take many coats to get it done.  i think i put more than 7 coats on the ic caboose.  could you use brush-on paint?  yes, you can do anything you want, but spay cans and spay-ons will lay flatter and give a better look to your project.  something to think about...if you can use paint from one manufacturer, you'll have less problems about bleeding and lifting when a new coat is applied.  i use the rule of thumb of waiting 72 hours between coats to make sure that the last coat has cured completely.  make each coat as light as you can, the more solvent that lays on an existing coat means more chances of blistering, orange peels, lifting (wrinkles) and other problems that will have to be erased by a sander.

brian, your questions are most welcome!  that's how we learn and that's what we are here for.

on Jul 28th, 2010, 7:25pm, DTI973 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years, admiring your work and ethic.
I'm at a point where I am about to attempt to build a caboose of my own.
I have several questions I hope you'll answer.

How do you cut out your window openings?

What do you use for primer for your wood and how do you apply it?  

It appears as though your color paints are sprayed on. What brands do you use and is it rattle cans or do you use a spray gun?  

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress

Thanks,
Brian B.

and now a little eye candy to show you some of the things you'll be thinking about.

you'll start with a stack of lumber similar to this...if you look in the middle-ish, you'll see some of the plywood grain that desparately cry's to be covered up!

then you'll start fitting up the pieces like this...

using a product like this,

you can create a better finished car something like this...

...didn't know i still had this photo, did ya pockets?!

moose

DTI973
Enthusiast

« Reply #991 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 7:26pm »

Moose,

Thanks for the welcome and reply!
It's great to have someone as special as you to share and post your works in progress. They help give some of us the confidence and knowledge to try something different.

I've done a bit of woodworking and I too come from the world of model railroading in smaller scales. I modeled in 'O' scale for many many years. Then I moved to bigger and better 1/29 (one of the many 'G' scales). A friend invited us to an operating session on the Michigan Central RR (Bill Hayes RR) and this has been quite a trip since.

Now a bit about the caboose I'm going to build. I model the DT&I and have scratchbuilt this caboose in 'O' scale (I didn't complete these as I changed scales prior to completing the models). I then tackled scratching one in 1/29 scale an am quite pleased and proud of how it came out. Much of what I learned will be used in the construction of my 1/8 scale version.

The prototype of this caboose was built for the DT&I while Henry Ford owned the railroad. It was built in 1925 and the DT&I received 40 of these. They served into the 1970's.  Surprizingly there are quite a few of them still around and I found one that I took a lot of pictures and measurements of for the plans I drew up.

This is where I differ from you in approach....I'm a draftsman and can't do anything without a plan. A wise farmer once told me - "plan your work, work your plan" So I've been busy working up quite a set of drawings for almost all aspects of this caboose...first in 'O' scale then I translated it up to 1/29, and now I'm doing the same for the 1/8 scale version. Of course the dynamics are quite different between the scales and materials, and your stories and pictures have shaped how I laid out this set of current plans.

Here's a couple pictures of my 1/29 scale model of said caboose.

Take care,
Brian

pockets
Historian

« Reply #992 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:43pm »

Brian,
That's nice work with the Evergreen. I'm an old O scaler, from the west side of the state. Don't know if you're old enough to remember names like Ned Browne, Rick Steinport and Harry Romanetz, but those were the guys that got me started scratchbuilding. When you step into scratchbuilding, regardless of skill level, you're "runnin' with the big dogs". Sure, one can buy his way into this hobby, but that just puts him on the porch with the cat.

Greg B.

DTI973
Enthusiast

« Reply #993 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:59am »

Greg,

Thanks for the compliment. Although I'm old (51) I am not aware of the gents you refer to. My main inspiration for scratchbuilting in plastic would have to be Robert Hundman of Mainline Modeler magazine.

Well, I was busy last week and all weekend....here's where I am so far

Enjoy,
Brian B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #994 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 7:15am »

hi all,

brian:  you are doing great work! and i tell ya this....it is worthy of its own thread!  so why not start one?!!  it will make it easier for you to post and us to find.  in a couple of months, i'll start a new project here in the moose thread and your project will become harder to find.  give it some thought, if you need help or advice on starting one, sing out!

to all:  i'll be out of pocket 'til 8-6....enjoying a palm tree somewhere!  keep things going.

moose

on Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:59am, DTI973 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greg,

Thanks for the compliment. Although I'm old (51) I am not aware of the gents you refer to. My main inspiration for scratchbuilting in plastic would have to be Robert Hundman of Mainline Modeler magazine.

Well, I was busy last week and all weekend....here's where I am so far

Enjoy,
Brian B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #995 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 8:06pm »

Moose @ Have fun big guy!

Brian @ Nice work on the caboose so far. Like Moose said though, start a fresh thread so we can all enjoy your experiences. I know there are many of us here that love to watch how the 'other" guy does it.

chris porthuronrailyard
TRAINing

« Reply #996 on: Aug 4th, 2010, 10:03am »

Hi moose it was a real pleasure meeting you at pockets last month it was short but real nice to put a face with the name thanks for your know how and past expirence maybe next year ill have rail down thanks GTW CHRIS

pockets
Historian

« Reply #997 on: Aug 5th, 2010, 9:38am »

Chris,
Ol' Moosey is out to sea this week. He'll be back in a few days. It was my pleasure to introduce you guys.

Greg B.

Dan Watson
Historian
  OilHeadlightFront.jpg - 46203 Bytes
« Reply #998 on: Aug 28th, 2010, 3:23pm »

Moose,
I know you completed the oil headlight project a while ago, but thought you'd like to see this picture.  It is the headlight on the Eureka & Palisade #4, a three foot gauge 4-4-0, which I saw on a recent trip to Colorado.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/OilHeadlightFront.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2010, 3:29pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Dan Watson
Historian
  OilHeadlightSide.jpg - 93812 Bytes
« Reply #999 on: Aug 28th, 2010, 3:26pm »

Another view, more to the side.  Note the funnel used to fill the oil tank.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/OilHeadlightSide.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »