Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 19th, 2017, 7:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29352 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #880 on: May 8th, 2009, 7:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

bruce, pockets, and others:  many thanks for your compliments on and off the list..they're appreciated.

to all:  work continues on some of the interior details when the exterior painted details cure.  ya can't cheat process.  so...a few of the dangling chores that have waited a while got done today.  both of the side-doors were re-installed with some of the hardware.  missing is a 'shooting-bolt'...a long metal rod that slips into catching hardware.  why the wooden bolts?  the shooting-bolt was sturdy enough, but the receiving hardware frequently pulled out to the wood under a shock-load.  

i also wanted to clean up around the door header.  having had to carve it out to route the wiring conduit to the control console.  

i'll be blending it in better...shortly!  the exterior also got a little bit of work, i was able to mount the side-door handles.  the interior and exterior handles match positions so i borrowed pockets' technique again by boring through the door and glued copper wire as my mounting hardware for both.  once installed, the wire ends were peened over, smoothing out the look.

last, but none the less, least, i couldn't resist working on a little gift for ray h the cab's new owner.

anybody know what it's for...let'em have a good try pockets!

that's all for tonight...

enjoy,

moose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #881 on: May 8th, 2009, 9:13pm »

George the caboose is looking fantastic!!!!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #882 on: May 8th, 2009, 9:18pm »

.....don't forget the mounting hardware.....

If the IC was as tight with a penny as the Poor Mary, that would have been a plywood or sheetmetal fabrication, on a hack this new.....

Ray'll know what it is.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #883 on: May 8th, 2009, 11:58pm »

a drill bit holder or Fuze.  Ray can have a choice!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #884 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:17am »

fusee or flag?   Most of the cabs were gone by the time I started.  I only got to ride  in a cab 1 time ,on a local job for about 30 miles, as I am usually on the other end of the train.  It was a very neat experience.  Ray III  

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2009, 9:20am by SteamHeaton » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #885 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:57pm »

hi all,

it's been busy in the shop today!  the doors have been the main focus.  i needed to do them with different materials and techniques from what i usually do.  normally, my doors are about 1/2" in thickness.  the ic cab doors just couldn't be that thick!  this project has been part of my learning curve to producing equipment closer to scale than i've ever done.  producing a door to 3/16" has been a goal of mine for some time...i'm getting closer,  the doors on the ic cab will be about 0.232" or roughly just under 1/4".   as pockets and i have talked, producing strip-wood without the requiste small fine saws is really a matter of luck.  first, your saw (table saw) can't have any slop in the blade arbor.  second, a thin fine-tooth blade must be found (plywood blade isn't fine enough).  and third, the saw blade insert (saw pit insert) must allow the blade to move unimpeded, but not allow the strip-wood to slip into the saw pit.  in short, it's tough to make your own with homeowner type tools.  for the time being, i'll use what i have until i can go peruse the horrible freight depot for smaller precision saws.

here's the structure of the first ic cab door.  think of the door as a layer cake, with the core being the middle layer.  i built a jig to hold the door pieces in registration while the glue set.  the core is the thickness of the glass (plastic) that i'm using.  there in lies a tale of searching for thin glass...almost unabtainium.  you can get pyrex ware and science ware, but very few pieces of flat glass ware.  yes, you could use microscope slides, but the door inserts are larger than the slides that were available.  so, it's back to the thinnest plastic i could find.

in the photo below, the core section is made up of 7 seperate pieces of wood.  the top of the core-wood section was very fragile, so, 2 of the exterior door rails were glued into place almost immediately.  

here's a view of the other side of the core.

in this view, the window section is now fully supported.

now its time to do some fill work (layer 2) so that the door looks like what the ic cabs had.  it's also time to take care of any fill work needed for finishing.

not being too fancy, the ic didn't put any money into raised-panel doors if they could get a flat-panel to work (plywood cores).  the photo below shows how it will appear in the door opening.  still needs layer 3 and its 'snowshoe' on the bottom stile.  it will take two long days to start and finish each door using this method, but i feel that it is worth it.

...and i still have the 3rd layer to install on the interior side?!

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #886 on: May 10th, 2009, 7:30am »

Moosey,
Try a picture framing shop, for glass. I have seen non-glare glass down to 1/16". Use it as the entire core and build your (pre-painted) rails and stiles right on top of it. You now have your 3/16" door.

OR: If the door must be drilled, for latches and hinges, groove your outside rails and bottom stile, just like a raised panel door, to accept the glass and proceed as above. The outside rails and bottom stile could also be built as a 3pc laminate, to creat the groove (rabbet?).

Using glass for the entire core also minimises the concerns about warpage.

Just another $0.02 worth,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #887 on: May 12th, 2009, 6:27pm »

hi all,

pockets:  that's a wonderful idea!  it will be tested on another car in the not too distant future.  keep'em comin'!

to all:  tonight, i wanted to show the progress on the door.  you saw the 'a' side, now here's the 'b' side.  this side will be taken to a semi-unfinished state because i have to install the glass before it is completely done.  that means hand painting the unfinished portions...no problem.

how the 'a' and 'b' sides should appear once the glass has been inset.

and the fusee cabinet?  here's another look at it tonight.  still needs burnishing and some more paint, but its coming along.

one last pic for tonight...here's how the platform wirework looks now.

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #888 on: May 12th, 2009, 6:45pm »

Moosey,
NO railroad, in the upper mid-west, ever had anything that pretty for more than a week. Ol' Ray's gonna have to submerge that hack in a muddy creek, for about a week, let it bake in the August sun for awhile then let a couple of Thunderstorms streak it. After that, he can clear coat it and it should be about right!  

Nice work, George.

Greg B.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #889 on: May 12th, 2009, 9:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Simply beautiful.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #890 on: May 13th, 2009, 4:42am »

Greg you are right, but this one is gonna stay clean.   Bobby I 2nd your comments.  RayIII

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #891 on: May 13th, 2009, 11:10pm »

on May 8th, 2009, 7:50pm, moose_the_caboose wrote:       (Click here for original message)

anybody know what it's for...let'em have a good try pockets!

I know I'm getting in on this late, but besides fusees, I think this rack would also contain torpedoes, the little red squares with two lead tabs.  Fusees on the top rack and torpedoes on the bottom shelf.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #892 on: May 14th, 2009, 6:13pm »

hi all,

dan:  i believe the others knew it or know it, but you said it!  you win your very own "Moooooose" Award!!!  present this award to your local adult beverage watering hole and receive your free drink.  make sure you read and understand the fine print...there is a service charge for shipping, handling, and delivery.   it also works for non-adult beverages.  hmmm, kindda like you don't really need the award, but take it with you anyway, ya just never know what it will lead to?!

on May 13th, 2009, 11:10pm, Dan Watson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I know I'm getting in on this late, but besides fusees, I think this rack would also contain torpedoes, the little red squares with two lead tabs.  Fusees on the top rack and torpedoes on the bottom shelf.

to all:  not much to show tonight, the day was spent re-sawing lumber into dust and splinters for the remaining doors.  more tomorrow!

moose

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #893 on: May 14th, 2009, 9:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hey Moose, is that your 3 3/4" railroad logo?

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #894 on: May 14th, 2009, 11:03pm »

Moose,
Thanks for the award!  I'll have to spend it soon

I cheated, because I had the chance to go on an IC caboose in Hammond, LA back in the late 1960s.  I believe it had a rack similar to that with fusees and torpedoes.  I remember hearing the story that the some of the old hands were going to play a trick on the new agent and put about 40 torpedoes on the track right by the station.  They alerted the train crew to their plan.  When the agent went out to hand up orders, the torpedoes started exploding under the wheels!  Scared him out of his skin!

Oh, well, great job on the caboose and attention to details rarely if ever seen!
Dan

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #895 on: May 17th, 2009, 8:13pm »

hi all,

its been busy in the shop over the last few days.  building details is sure a lot of fun, sloooow in the doing!  tonight, all three doors are built, have their hanging hardware in place and awaiting paint.  the least detailed door (to the head) consists of 20 individual pieces of wood.  not hard to do, just time consuming.  the door core started out as shown below.

then progressed to what you see now.

finally, well for tonight...here's how it appears after being temprorarily installed.

as you can see, it still needs priming, sanding, and top coat.  only one more major job left and that's building the battery box cover doors.  there are a couple of more things i want to do before it leaves, but next saturday, crating begins.

enjoy,  

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #896 on: May 17th, 2009, 9:25pm »

!!!OMG, George!!! Where did you get the draughtsman's whale!? I've been looking for some of those, for most of 20 years. You do know what they are used for, don't you? Heheheh.....

BTW, nice job on the door

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #897 on: May 20th, 2009, 9:34pm »

hi all,

pockets:  the 'whales' were given as a donation to the lead weight fund.  i needed lead to melt down for ballast...i kept these.  used to use them on my drafting table, they're better than tape!  still trying to scarf 4 more of them from a friend.  i'll let you know how it turns out!

to all:  the constant rains from a subtropical low that has parked itself over us has slowed progress.  my favorite glue and paints won't set in this very high humidity, but progress is being made.

the heater shielding is now up...

and the battery box has received some attention.  had to make a change in how the box was accessed.  one hinged door became two.

here's one of the finishing details that doubles as a door handle.  it's still a work-in-progress, but you get the idea.

more later, enjoy for now.

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #898 on: May 23rd, 2009, 9:03pm »

hi all,

it's been busy in the shop over the last few days...times' fast approaching when the cab will be on a truck heading for its new home!  so what's left to be done?  the punch list is long, but each task is small.  the biggest task ahead is crating.  i'll be doing that beginning on monday.  for now, the last major task is completing the 2 main doors.  just 5 pieces of wood and a little paint to complete them.  the rest of the punch list is just paint-touchup and final detain installation(the library walls and the flare racks).

since i left off on the last post with the battery compartment doors, here they are completed.  stamp DONE
on them!  

next up, the ice box got its lid.   instead of being hinged, this one has a plug door.  why waste a set of hinges on a cabin car?!

i've been working on the 'library' facilities and the lockers.  here's how they turned out.

...and some day if ray lets me near the cab, i'll install the other fixtures in the reading room.

more in a few minutes...there's ice cream near!

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #899 on: May 23rd, 2009, 9:15pm »

hi all,

i almost forgot to include a pic of the icebox in place.

a view towards the 'a' end as clean-up continues.

and some of the exterior details are now on.

more tomorrow, enjoy!

moose

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »