Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 12:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29129 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #860 on: Feb 14th, 2009, 9:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

since i left off with the electrical system in the last post, i'll start with it in this post.  the last few days have been busy with home, work, and standing sentinal on health issues.  no worries mate...as my new aussie friends say.  that's not to say that nothing has been accomplished, it has.  to start, the electrical system is about 80% complete.  most of the solder connections have been made and tested.  wiring the charger to the battery and wiring the system to the control console remain to be done.  here are a couple of views of how they were done.  the shrink tubing is in place, but will not activated until the system is proved.  when that is done, the extra wiring will be 'mouse-eared' to make it neat.

in the photo below, the battery has temporarily been placed so that wiring and cushioning could be formalized.  in the next couple of days, the two terminals will be installed.  the battery box is large enough to handle a garden tractor battery or just about any size motorcycle battery.  with 3 vdc  60 milliamp load, battery use won't be a problem on overnight operations.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #861 on: Feb 14th, 2009, 9:59pm »

hi all,

more of the little things got done today.  another piece of the furniture is now permanently afixed.  that will leave only the ice box and the table left to be finished and installed.  the photo below shows the last bunk being installed.  the installation isn't the floor, but to the wall(the plastic shopping bags shield the rest of the work from the glue).  i wanted an interior that would lift away with the main part of the body leaving the floor and undercarriage clear.  even the electrical system lifts away when the battery is disconnected.

the newest project from yesterday was the creation, installation, and painting of the door threshold.  the ic caboose being in the northern clime, the threshold was designed to shed snow (a fact i learned from pockets!).  so, here's what it looks like tonight.  the threshold slopes toward the front at almost 22 degrees from the point of the front of the door when it is closed.

the endsills also got some attention because they need to be semi-finished before the wirework can begin.  today, they got final fitting, priming, and a first coat of paint.  when the wirework is done, they'll be finished completely.

the lantern 'keyhole' sockets have be finished and tested!

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #862 on: Feb 14th, 2009, 10:15pm »

hi all,

one of the last projects that got some attention today were the ladder landings.  after checking to see that i needed a '4' board landing, i cut them out.  after having primed and painted them, they were layed on the supports.  you can get really exact with the placement, but in this case, after installing the first and last in the position required of them, eyeballing was relatively easy.  the long roof walks were put in with 3/32 gap between the boards.  the landings are a loose 3/32 fit...not too bad for an old man, a pencil and a piece of paper.

stll some trim painting to do, but...the cupola side-boards were also installed today

here's where it stands tonight!

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #863 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 7:15am »

George,

We have a few very special "new" tracks just waiting for the beautiful "new" caboose to rest on. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of "oohs and ahhs" while folks are looking at it.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #864 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 8:37am »

Bruce, I may be wrong, but I don't think Ray is gonna let that thing rest too much! Ol' Moosey does nice work, doesn't he?

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #865 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 1:11pm »

Moosey,

You are outdoing yourself on this one.  Sure is fun watching your new picks unfold before my eyes and see what you are crafting.  Someday the SR&CL Ry will have an 8 wheel caboose and I hope it matches you craftmanship.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #866 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 8:46pm »

hi all,

to all:  thank you for your kind comments.  my work is progressing because i've got to meet the learning curve that i've set for myself...there's also a helluva ic mikado that i don't want to disappoint!  

tom:  from the work that i've seen done up there, i've still got a ways to go to equal it.  tip-o-the-hat to jack, mel, and the rest of that crazy bunch up there!  they're work is no less astounding...a railroad that helps pay for itself without a donation box or even a committee to govern how to spend it.

today, the first thing to get some attention were the journel box lids.  they got primed, painted, and later, installed.  not a hard project, but needed to be done.

next up was to finish prototyping the side-doors.  for this railcar, i wanted doors that were closer to what the 1-to-1 scale had.  that meant that i couldn't use my 'normal' technique of using 1/2 in built-up doors.  for this project, they couldn't be more than a 1/4 inch thick.  in all, there are 15 separate pieces of wood in just one door alone.  the door was made with a piece of 1/8 inch aircraft plywood sandwiched between 1/16 inch poplar stripwood.  still some more detail to be added before installation.

it really does change how the car looks.

only the two end doors to go!

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2009, 8:50pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #867 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 9:16pm »

hi all,

the last thing happening tonight was prototyping the stepunits.  for this decision, i had to refer back to the old photos.  for durability, they should be made from brass or steel, but the photos show wood steps and risers.  so...wood it is.  the use of scale lumber for the stepunit sides would make them too fragile, but the use of 1/4 inch material gives the look with a little more of a chance of surviving.  it also gives me a chance to install some detail that has been left off, something i found on a ic caboose in wisconsin.  more about that later, for now, here's how i layed out the job.

when the data from the historical record, applied ergonomics, and the 'art' of the steps were worked out, a pattern emerged.  the photo below shows the journey, not the end product.

when some of the mechanical issues were worked out, a new pattern emerged.  from this pattern, the stepunit will take shape.

with the pattern now finialized, the stepunits were layed out for cutting.

and how it looks against the car.

still needs some final shaping from a drum sander, but it's gettin' closer.

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2009, 9:16pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #868 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 10:21pm »

George,
I've had some sucess with semi-fragile assemblies like these steps. As you are aware, for something to break, it has to move, twist or bend. Since you are locked into the material (wood) the object of the exercise would be to optimize the rigidity of the material. There is no elixir that will turn this into cast iron. It's a matter of degree. Two methods that have worked for me are: 1. Saturate the assembly components with ACC, before assembly.
  2. coat all surfaces with a penetrating (laminating) type of epoxy resin. Again, before assembly but after final shaping.

Just my inflation fed $0.02,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #869 on: Feb 16th, 2009, 5:50pm »

Moose,
These steps might be a good candidate for a lost-foam casting.
1. Build steps out of 1/4" styrofoam.
2. Glue together pieces, adding ingates.
3. Encase in ceramic wash.
4. Put in bucket and fill with loose sand.
5. Pour in molten aluminum.
Dan

(On edit) I re-read your post, and you say the original had wooden steps, so maybe this isn't a good plan...

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009, 10:36pm by Dan Watson » Logged
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #870 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, it was great seeing you again at the un-meet. The photographs posted here do not do the caboose justice. That is one fine model and a true reflection of your craftsmanship. (but who knew that my 1.5" scale alter ego was such a vandal?) I see Bruce has posted a photo of it in the unmeet thread.  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #871 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:44pm »

hi all,

i've finally come up for air!   it's been a long hard haul on my latest project, rebuilding the 'library' for swmbo.  
moose

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2009, 6:51pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #872 on: Apr 9th, 2009, 7:08pm »

hi all,

i'm almost ready for the tileman to finish the 'library'!  had the grand start up of my new 'open-top tanker' last night.  asked my daughter to do the honors of pushing the start button on the inside of the 'open-top tanker'...it was rich!  lets see, full 'tanker', empty plumbing lines to the pump, jets not quite aligned as they should have been, and SPLASH!!!  one wet daughter!  if only i'd used the camera, but that would have given it away!

i'll be back to complete the ic caboose...shortly!  gotta be up 'nawth' by june!

moose  

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009, 7:11pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #873 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 7:49pm »

hi all,

it's back to the shop today!  with the bathroom project at a point where the tile-man can do his stuff, it's back to what i love doing, building railcars.  the unmeet 09 came too quickly and passed too soon for me to complete the ic caboose.  to be able to make the deadline, i worked into the wee hours for the last couple of weeks prior to the meet.  having completed most of the wire-work in the last day or two before the meet, i almost didn't want to load the car into the truck for the trip down.  when i saw the platform rails installed, i thought "how in hh could i have done that!"  the answer was easy...i'd worked too many hours seeing the same thing over and over again.  what you say?  the handrail spacing wasn't right for the installation.  the photo below shows the 'a' leftside railing prior to my correcting it.  while others may not have mentioned it, it was an embarrassment for me.  it's also a good lesson to look at a project when your eyes and mind are in a clear state.  this was a case of the eyes have seen, but didn't see clearly.  

here's a photo of part of the solution.  still some other corrections to be made, but close.

some additional work was needed on fastening the body to the chassis...that's now done.

with repair work done, tomorrow begins the new work.

enjoy,  

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #874 on: Apr 28th, 2009, 7:56pm »

hi all,

work continues on bringing the ic cab up to spec.  the last day or two has been one of re-thinking the mount for the battery charger.  i discovered at the last moment in february that the new charger had a short in it.  the store with craftsman brand didn't want to replace a vehicle mounted charger because it had been discontinued.  sometimes you just can't win.  enter wallyworld with a decent small battery charger.   the photo below shows how i would have done it(and designed a mount for it).

...but it wouldn't work for the new charger.  so i had to come up with a new way to re-use the existing mount, be able to see the charger, and semi-hide a shape i hadn't planned on.  with aluminum angle in the scrap box, i was able to fit, bore, and counter-sink the new mount.

the photo above gives an idea of how it will fit together.   soon i'll be hunting down the velcro belt strips that will hold the charger in place.  with the quick-change connectors in place, ray'll be able to remove the charger and use it elsewhere if needed.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #875 on: May 2nd, 2009, 8:51pm »

hi all,

the last couple of days have been spent developing a new ladder system for the ic cab.  most of the time, i attach the ladder to the handrailing for support.  on the erie cab, i attached the ladder to a fixed fascia beam across the front of the platform roof.  while it worked, it bothered me that the fascia beam had a 'massive' look to it compared to the erie photographs.   since the ic cab was and is another step closer to my goals in live steam, i've been thinking and re-thinking my approach and techniques for ladder attachments.  for the ic cab, the support beam for the ladder is behind the fascia board.  when the cab roof is lifted away, the fascia board goes with it.  that step alone, makes the caboose fascia look less 'massive'.  here's a picture showing the first attachment in place, showing how it works.  when  the roof is removed, the ladder hoops go with it, no great deal, but in this case, when the roof is re-installed, the ladder and hoops will look more like the prototype and less like the way that i've done it in the past.  more on this, later.

after some more work, here's the second attachment.

still some fit-up left to do, but getting close to where i want it.  i've also changed the way i make my handrails....pockets pointed out a detail that once the idea was applied, makes the handrails easier to make in jig and turn out as a finished unit.

i've got some more work to do, so i'll post more tomorrow!

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2009, 8:55pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #876 on: May 2nd, 2009, 9:16pm »

Gonna be one sweet hack, Moosey. Clever brackets, up under the fascia.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #877 on: May 6th, 2009, 8:00pm »

hi all,

pockets:  thanks for being at the other end of the phone...i really do enjoy the time we spend together.  nudge-nudge...now what else ya got done on flatcar!?

to all:  it's been busy in the shop this week.  doesn't seem like much, but the exterior wirework is almost done!  with installation and a little touch-up work done, the rest of the week will be spent getting the interior up to scratch.

here's how the ladderwork looks now.

and a look at the under-side.

the ladder hoop brackets were made out of annealed brass strip and formed around the hoop stock.  when a tight fit was achieved, the assembly was soldered together.  the hoops stay with the roof and ladders remain with the platforms.

the next small project is to create and mount the roof-walk support brackets.  this will be done using a technique i learned from pockets.  the fascia beams will be bored and wire glued into the bracket bore.  the head of the wire will be peened over and touch-up paint applied.

more later.

enjoy,  

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #878 on: May 6th, 2009, 8:16pm »

You're more than welcome, George.  Not too much progress, the last couple of days. Broken vehicles and "honey-do" projects keep getting in the way!

....... about that bracket, in the second photo.....

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #879 on: May 6th, 2009, 11:08pm »

Pretty nifty grab irons. And,,, I like the roof support struts too.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »