Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 11:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29196 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #840 on: Jan 25th, 2009, 7:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

ray:  don't worry about it...i wish it was finished too!  some day, i'm going to build something for myself!  

to all:  where to start?  there's been alot happening with the caboose since i last posted...so let's start with the last post.  in that post, i'd just installed the platform roof supports.  if you look back at how i did the erie's roof supports, you'll notice that i put woodscrews in through the back of the supports and the carbody.  well, someone of close aquaintance (pockets) was afraid i'd forgotten to strengthen them.  many of you know that our thought processes are similar and we can almost finish each others' thoughts.  rarely do friends of that caliber come along...i'm blessed to know several that regularly post here on railfan.  for pockets and myself, car building is about the process as well as seeing it roam the rails.  it's why we enjoy each others' comments...whatever they are!

okay, back to the model.  in my design process, i knew that i would reinforce the roof supports, but wasn't keen about using woodscrews like i had on the erie.  if the screws ever stripped out, repairing would require a change in tactics.  so, why not change materials and processes used?  i initially wanted to use 1/8th inch rod glued in place, but that would require a glue that would be hard to work with later.  pockets suggested hardwood dowel pins...more to my liking because they could be drilled out and replaced.  there's always a catch, hardwood dowels sometimes have a grain that runs contrary to what you want to do...besides, i didn't have any and 1/8th inch dowels aren't that common at hardware stores any more.  what to do?   i needed to find something strong and easy to hand...just happens that someone in my family likes oriental food.  bamboo skewers available at most grocery stores and cheap to boot!   bamboo?  yeah, it's the grass that thinks its' a hardwood.  tough and straight-grained, bamboo can be worked easily while retaining its' strength.

in the photo below, i bored each of the supports 1 1/4" deep with drill that's one size over the required 1/8th inch.  drilling slightly over means that there's room for the glue when the pin is inserted.  when the glue set, a razor saw was used to trim the bamboo close to the body and support pieces, then sanded smooth.  the pin and roof support are inseparable, a single unit.  as seen from the front.

as installed from the inside of the carbody.

strong as the dickens and easily repaired if it becomes necessary.

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009, 7:18pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #841 on: Jan 25th, 2009, 7:41pm »

hi all,

continuing, the ic caboose also got more of the electrical conduct installed today.  the photo below shows the sweep that guides the wiring into the switching console.  the wiring will be purposely left open to make repair a snap.

for main power off of the charger, i separated the positive and negative lines into their own conduits.  the pic below shows the routing of the positive conduit.  it hadn't been installed yet, but gives an idea of where it will be.  if there's a problem with a short in the conduit at this  point, it's isolated and shouldn't lead to any major problems.

here's the 'a' end cupola wall with the negative conduit being installed.

and here's how the conduits will look once the walls are finally installed.

still a ways to go on the electrical system, but ya startin' ta get the idea?!

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #842 on: Jan 25th, 2009, 7:57pm »

hi all,

this was the weekend that alot of little things got some attention.  most of the window openings got framed in and some priming got done.

and the flooring also got its' second application of stain.  pockets and i both thought that it would need a darker (black) stain to settle into the cracks of the floorboards to set it off, but even in bright sunlight, the grooves were evident.

the car is also sitting on its' trucks, again!  the underframe and under-side of the foundation board have been painted their final color, black.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #843 on: Jan 25th, 2009, 8:03pm »

hi all,

this photo just for pockets!

the crew lockers are almost complete and ready for detailing.  no, they aren't out of whack...the camera lends a fish-eye effect with its' cheap lens.
the idea to use sheet plastic on the locker core was pockets' suggestion...it worked and looks great.  thanks!

that's all for tonight.

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #844 on: Jan 25th, 2009, 8:59pm »

Ol' Moose dropin's is too kind. He makes it sound like I have an active part in building this caboose. It ain't so. This is all his work. We talk almost every day, on a wide range of subjects. We are both builders, so, inevitably we end up discussing process and materials. We use each other as sounding boards. No one knows everything and as some of us "mature" remembering what we DO know becomes an issue.

In a perfect world, a project gets built three times. Once in your mind, once on paper and once in the physical world. Right or wrong, once you have done a certain amount of this type of work, processes become intuitive and you can take some short cuts. You know when you have reached that point, because the short cuts quit biting you in the butt! I have yet to meet the man that doesn't, from time to time, get bit.

This might sound a little funny, but George and I have talked about it quite a bit, and I know that no offence will be taken. George and I know who the master rolling stock builders are and how high the bar is. We both aspire to play in that league someday. Moosey is well on his way. This car is good. Damned good. Stand by for some revelations on his next two or three.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #845 on: Jan 26th, 2009, 7:22pm »

George,

I'm plain knocked over by your workmanship. You incorporate so many neat building designs in you cabooses. Thanks so much for shareing with us here that are truely interested.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #846 on: Jan 27th, 2009, 7:20pm »

hi all,

bruce & pockets:  thanks for your encouragement!   without your friendship, i'm not sure where i'd be on my live steam journey.  

to all:  work continued today on some of the roof details.  it's the section i want to finish first so i can stamp "done" on it!  to that end, i've spent the last two days cutting out and shaping the roof-walk saddles.  placed a scale 18 inches apart, there are a bunch of them.   here's how i did the layout for installation.

first, i had to find  the centerline of the roof at both the 'a' end and the 'b' end.  with that done, i then find the center of the saddles, that in turn tells me where the starting edge is.

when the starting edge was found, i had to determine the placement of the saddles inboard of the platform end and the cupola.  this part is partially from the ic's practice and from human ergonomics.  a military 'step' is @ 30 inches, so a 'nervous' step atop a moving railcar is 15 to 18 inches.  roughly half of a 'military' step, or in the range of 2/3 of a casual step (24 inches).  the idea is that where the foot would fall naturally, there'd be support.  it doesn't always work out that way, but there's plenty of strength in the lumber to do the job...over a period of years, sometimes many, many years.  in this case, 18 scale inches follows ic practice and fit my particular situation.  the photo below shows the transfer of the saddle centers to the edge line.

with that done, i was ready to start installing the saddles.  to aid in squaring the saddles in place, small triangle square and straight stock was used to true the saddles.

enjoy!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #847 on: Jan 27th, 2009, 7:31pm »

hi all,

after getting the layout done, here's how it looks at install, not too bad!

here's how it looks when completed.

the last thing that got done today was 'roofing' the cupola side pieces.  more later!

moose

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2009, 7:32pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #848 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 8:23pm »

hi all,

the last 2 days have seen some additional work done on the roof section.  in a prior post, i showed the installation of the saddles for the roof walk.  before the actual walk can be installed, the rest of the roof needs to be brought to a higher level of completion.  yesterday, some of the cupola trim was installed and most of the cupola windows modified to final configuration.  today, the cupola roof was added, trued for square, and prepped for the 'tar-paper'.

while the roof installation has been covered in earlier posts, i take a moment a review the method i use.  for this particular caboose, i'm not necessarily using scale lumber.  in this case, i'm using 1/4x3/4 'sticks'.  the only difference is that they were cut with a 1/2 degree bevel on the long sides.  why the bevel?  a round roof is for all practical purposes, a barrel.  barrel staves are made so that when they are assembled, they form a tight-fitting seal that utilizes the entire thickness of the stave, not just one edge.  a good looking round roof is done the same way.  a good cooper can tell you the exact number of staves of the same dimensions it would take to make a barrel of any given diameter.  i'm not a cooper, but i've met a few in my time and learned some of their tricks...not well, but learned no less.  for all the roofs i've built, i started at the sides and worked inward.  why?  because if there is any inaccuracy, i can put it in the middle where i can fool the eye of the beholder.  putting the 'difference' out towards the sides means putting it where it is weakest.  where someone will damage it.  putting it in the middle also means the surrounding 'lumber' and glue actually create a stronger joint.  now that i've mentioned it, did you see the filler pieces in the photo above?  if not, can you find them in the photo below?

if you spotted the filler pieces without prompting, you've got great eye-sight!  still some finish work needed on the windows, but that be happening soon.  here's a look at how it appears tonight.

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #849 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 9:44pm »

Yeah, I spotted 'em, Moosey. In wooden boat building those are called stealers. Quite common in wineglass sterns.

Looking real nice. Won't be long before you can move on to the wire work.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #850 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 10:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

What a beautiful peace of craftsmanship.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #851 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 7:32pm »

hi all,

work's been kindda crazy, but the ic caboose has seen some changes...here's a teaser until i can post some more.

enjoy,

moose

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #852 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

oh Moose thats mean, like waving a hotdog infront of the dog and then not letting him have it.  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #853 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 8:19pm »

hi all,

there's more that's been happening with the ic caboose.  several assemblies are heading for final paint, more about them when the paint has cured enough to handle.

what i've wanted to show are the marker lights.  they're finally complete and need only paint to be finished.  instead of use grain-of-wheat or grain-of-rice lamps, the lanterns have been fitted with white led lights.  at 3 vdc, they'll last a long time on a 12 vdc battery.  in the not too distant future(next year), if ray will part with it for a time, i'll add additional internal lighting along with a brakeman with a hand-held lantern.  the white leds don't quite put out the same amount of light as the others, but are right for what the 1-to-1 lanterns did.  as soon as i build a test rig for power(where i don't have to hold two batteries in my hand), i'll post another picture showing them lit up.

the control setup for this will require some additional work, but i think it's worth it in the long run.

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #854 on: Feb 5th, 2009, 6:58pm »

George,

This thing is "OUTRAGEOUS". In a very positive way, of course. But, I'm gonna be afraid to get near it!!

Beautiful, beautiful work.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #855 on: Feb 8th, 2009, 8:01pm »

hi all,  

it's crunch time!  2 weeks before the show goes up!  so here's what's done as of today.  remember the lanterns?  they are now painted.  the top of lantern has been 'silvered' for added reflectance and the the 'wires' have been blacked.  the 'silvering' was done by carefully placing a small amount of chrome paint into the top of the lantern cavity with a 5cc syringe.  a lot of solar heat followed the insertion to set the paint.

the cupola under-structure is now permanently installed.  the flooring has been 'wrapped' in plastic to protect it while the work continues.  actually, it's there as a barrier while the rest of the furniture is glued into place.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #856 on: Feb 8th, 2009, 8:23pm »

hi all,

bruce:  outrageous it may be , but there's more to come!  can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us...the bcrr has a quality about it that is....well, quality.  you just never know 'til ya get there!

to all:  the work continues a pace.  the roof walk was completed today.

now all that remains is to complete the wirework, windows, ladders and ladder landing pads.  in addition, i discovered a problem with the red valspar paint, it doesn't cover the green paint very well.  the roof fascia boards will need to be primed back to white so that the red will be red.  live and learn!  the valspar paint is a great quality paint, but it has a learning curve to how and when to use it.  after 6 coats (it goes on thin), there is a great deal of depth and beauty to it.

also done tonight, the cupola side walk structures are complete and awaiting priming.

okay, here's the shot that ray has been waiting for...!

more and more details will be completed each night for the next 2 weeks, keep your fingers crossed?!

enjoy,

moose  

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #857 on: Feb 9th, 2009, 12:09am »

George,  the level of craftsmanship is second to none.   That is  a beautiful piece of work.  2 more weeks and we will all get to see it in person.  I ca't wait .    RayIII

Southern_PS4
TRAINing

« Reply #858 on: Feb 9th, 2009, 12:46am »

George,

I finally finished reading this thread from the beginning.  I promised myself that I would not read the end first and it was worth it.

I worked for Disney for 30 years, 5 years at WED in California and the other 25 here at EPCOT and The Magic Kingdom and the north service area.  I have not seen better craftsmanship  or better model building anywhere.  The IC caboose is SUPERB!  I hope you will have it at Largo so that I can stand on my head to get a look at those roof support  ribs!

I promise not to drool on it!!!

Jerry H.

PS If I knew how to add smileys I would put the one with the big toothy grin in!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #859 on: Feb 9th, 2009, 9:57pm »

hi all,

ray:  i can't wait to see it finished too!  when the project is done, there's always the joy and satifaction of seeing the car rolling down the track under the control of someone that understands railroading, understands what it is to work from the ground up in the hobby, and loves sharing their knowledge with others.  as we spoke on the phone, we sometimes get harried into trying to complete a project, but this one...like the erie, is and continues to be a labor of love.   it has been nothing but pleasure to work on.

to all:  even when i relinquish the ic caboose to ray in the coming weeks, to the rest of the hobby, it will be finished.  to me, the process has only begun...there's always something else to be done to each of the cars that i build.  in time, each of my 'children' will return home and i will apply what i've learned to not only repair, but upgrade to my current standard.  that's part of my journey.  i can only hope that you take the spirit of what we're trying to accomplish here on railfan net and make it part of yourself.  those who post their construction projects on this live steam board know that it is much easier to post the completed work than the work-in-progress.  i love railroading, but like bruce t, bruce r, pockets, and some of the others, i'm finding that i'm a 'shop rat' to borrow bruce t's phrase.  the hands-on, process control, and creation of 'stuff' just suits me.

jerry h:  thank you for your kind comments, they're appreciated.  as good as i seem to be, there's always someone else whose journey has been a little longer and their skill sets a little deeper.  my grandfather used to tell me never pick up a tool and think you know how to use it until you know what can go wrong.  skill sets are more about learning from your mistakes than anything else.   believe me, i've made plenty and there's a lot more that i need to learn!

tonight, i was able to create 2 of 4 light socket keyhole covers.  more practical than prototypical, they clean up the exterior of the car.  on the erie caboose, i created these out of aircraft-grade spruce plywood.  for the ic caboose, i used modelers' sheet plastic.  it cuts with scissors and cleans up with a knife and file.

also started tonight, the remaining electrical wiring has been 'pulled' in and the lantern sockets are receiving a final fit-up before being installed.

that's all for tonight.

enjoy!

moose

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »