Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 6:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29275 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #820 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 8:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

bruce:  yes, you're right!  the un-meet '09 will be the best ever...lots and lots of good things coming together.  synergy of time, place, people, and machines will make this one memorable...just memorable!  if i have the time, i'll rebuild the control head for the blue welder.  right now, ray's ic has my 'rapt' attention!

to all:  a variety of woodworking got done today as well.  from modifying windows to installing the ledger boards, the ic caboose is moving along.

the photo below shows an empty space where a filler piece is needed for a small section of roof to be placed.  it will in the not too distant future, be the area where footboard supports will be installed just below the cupola windows.  this view is of the left side.

the picture below is of the ride side with the filler pieces installed.  it still needs some shaping before the roofing material is applied.  

next up was modifying dollhouse windows to fit the frame openings.  chris, this one's for you buddy!  in the not too distant future, i'll be leaving this technique behind and moving to a 'truer' scale window technique that pockets' graciously forwarded to me.  also note that the inletting has been done on this side for the caboose lanterns that ray wants to use....looks alot like bruces'!

also on tap today, the roof fascia boards were re-sawn, sanded, fitted and installed!  this step alone puts me closer to where i can finish the entire roof.  as soon as the stove pipe support has been installed, i can paint the roof and get it ready for catwalk details.

here's how it looks tonight!

more to come!

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #821 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 8:30pm »

Looking good, George !!!  Very good indeed.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #822 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 8:55pm »

hi all,

bruce:  thanks for the confidence!  tomorrow should see the car ready for a complete coat of primer.  i have to wait for the primer to harden on the undercarriage before i can do too much more with it.  can't wait to see you guys and the bcrr...what a dream road it has become.   i'm glad that i can count pete b as a good friend, i couldn't be moved that he's sharing his refuge with us once again.  the bcrr has become my place of choice to debut new equimpment.  you know how much showing cars to other builders means to me.  many thanks to pete and all the bcrr crew.

moose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #823 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 12:18am »

George,  it looks sooooooooo good.   I can't wait to see it in person.   If all goes well I should have something to pull it with.  Ray III

pockets
Historian

« Reply #824 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 9:46am »

George,
That latest surgery really looks nice. And nobody noticed!

Like I said, in a much earlier post, if Ray doesn't like it I'm sure the Clam Lake can find a home for it. It should make a nice looking hunting cabin ;, set back in the trees with a beat up pick up out front!  

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #825 on: Jan 15th, 2009, 7:27pm »

hi all,it's been busy at work, but the ic caboose continues to take shape.  more of the interior and exterior trim is underway.  the big push right now is to get the conduit pipe in for the electrical system.  those who know me, know that i've been a signal 'tron chaser for more than a few years.  the work philosophy is make safe, make it rugged, and make it so it can be maintained.  scale conduit makes the installation neater and safer, but harder to maintain.  so i've chosen a blended method to my madness.  i'm going to use conduit, but not the junction boxes.  it won't look as neat as it should, but it can be repaired in a hurry...with a little patience.  where a junction/splice has to be made will be open.  where a 90 degree ell is required will be done with a sweep.  so far, it's been fairly easy to do...providing that the wire being used was already in the conduit.  i'm using 1/8" brass and aluminum tubing, getting the tubing bent without kinking was a problem.  pre-loading the tubing with the wire solved that issue because of the mass of the wire kept the tubing from collapsing.here's a view of the preliminary runs.

the image below is showing where the wiring enters the distribution console.

there's more, but that's for this weekend!btw, greg, your eyes weren't deceiving you, the door jamb was off by @ 1/64th of an inch...movement of the sawblade at a slight angle makes a shadow line that says the gap is greater.   okay, so i blame the camera lens...that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!  

moose

SnG42
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #826 on: Jan 15th, 2009, 9:40pm »

This really looks good. The authentic graffiti is a nice touch!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #827 on: Jan 16th, 2009, 1:34pm »

George,
Toljaso!!!!

Henry,
You beat me to it! I was going to suggest the brake line bender. For the 1/8" tube, it should give nice sweep 90s. BTW, I've built full size roll cages with tubing, a torch, a bag of sand and a suitably sized tree. Gitterdun!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009, 1:34pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Henry
Historian

« Reply #828 on: Jan 16th, 2009, 1:59pm »

Moose,  

Looking good, boy will it look great behind the Mike!  

There are a number of inexpensive ways to bend small tubing without kinking it. Most auto parts stores sell at least one of two types of benders. One looks like a funky pair of pliers with two to four curved tubing sized and shaped channels one handle, a straight channelled anvile on the other and a degree scale on the side. They usually handle 3/16" or 1/4" OD to 3/8" OD tubing. I have a pair of those and it works pretty well. A cheaper style is a spring style bender that just slips over the tubing. Those can be had in smaller sizes, I have a small size set of those also. My favorite method is free if you have some sand handy, just fill the tube and bend!  

Henry  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #829 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 10:05pm »

hi all,

henry:  thanks for the compliment...but thanks most of all for a place to teach others to follow their dreams.  having 'railfan' as a home base for posting my work is a delicious treasure.  i'd forgotten about using sand as a bending aid,  in another 'lifetime' i'd been around a musical instrument manufacturer that used hot pine pitch poured into their brass tubes to aid in the bending process.  when the pitch cooled solid, they would bend the tubes to shape.  once they were satisfied, the tubes were heated and the pitch poured out to be re-used again.  no deformation of the tubes.  as pockets and i talked the other day, it dawned on me that for 1/8th inch tubes, normal sands aren't fine enough.  the next time i start bending, i'll try fuller's earth.  again, thanks for helping us keep it 'real'!

on Jan 16th, 2009, 1:59pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,  

Looking good, boy will it look great behind the Mike!  

There are a number of inexpensive ways to bend small tubing without kinking it. Most auto parts stores sell at least one of two types of benders. One looks like a funky pair of pliers with two to four curved tubing sized and shaped channels one handle, a straight channelled anvile on the other and a degree scale on the side. They usually handle 3/16" or 1/4" OD to 3/8" OD tubing. I have a pair of those and it works pretty well. A cheaper style is a spring style bender that just slips over the tubing. Those can be had in smaller sizes, I have a small size set of those also. My favorite method is free if you have some sand handy, just fill the tube and bend!  

Henry  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #830 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 10:28pm »

hi all,

a little birdie told me that our new friend chris will build a new caboose in the not too distant future!  i was also told that he liked the idea of using dollhouse windows to add a higher level of detail than most first time builders get into.

so....chris...and all you lurkers out there, here's how the windows for the ic caboose are being done.  the photo below shows the as-built window from the supplier on the right and my modified window on the left

in all, i took about 3/8 inch out of the width of the window frame.  the windows are made from basswood, so with care they are easily modified and repaired.  normally, i would disassemble the entire unit, but decided to try to do what most of you would think about doing...make a straight cut through it.  so why did i do it down the side?  old scenery masters' trick, the eye want's to see symmetry so let it.  if you make the cut down the center, the eye of the beholder will see any quirks or mistakes far faster than off to the side.  we look to the center before seeing anything else.  a glance to the side is all most an after thought.  a mistake or quirk placed there may elicit study or even puzzlement before the brain says anything.  so how will i hide the cuts?  as pockets says, bondo hides a lot of sins.  in this case, i'll use(d) a fine grain filler with a minimum of 2 applications and some judicious use of fingernail files to do the final smoothing.

with all that said, here's a look at parting of one of the window units.

a simple process, but go at it slow and easy!  basswood can be fragile, to lessen the amount of repair work, support everything!  if you do break something you really didn't want to, a good quality caa type superglue works wonders.

here's the effect i'm going for from the prototype....

and here's where i'm at tonight.  

still a long way to go, but we're gettin' there.

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009, 10:38pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #831 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 10:56pm »

okay, there's more...

the windows weren't the only items receiving attention in the last couple of days.  the side-door on the 'b' side is getting framed out.  here's a look at how the sill work was done.

in the photo above, you can see 2 of the 3 pieces of basswood that make up the doorsill.  the view below shows the profile of what i'm shooting for.  a 4th piece is still missing.  i need to install a diagonal or a cove cut piece under the actual sill for support...but that's for tomorrow!

what else got done?  i'm working towards getting the roof and cupola ready for finishing details.  to do that, anything that needs support must be done now.  the smoke jack is one of those.

that's enough for tonight.  

enjoy,  

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #832 on: Jan 18th, 2009, 9:42pm »

hi all,

since the roof will be the first major sub-assembly to be completed, i've gone ahead and modified all the window units for it.  there are 8 windows in the average cupola and in the case of the ic caboose, they are all dollhouse attic windows.

since i've already shown how the side windows were done, i'll concentrate on the front and rear cupola windows.  the side window units were merely straight cut along one edge and re-assembled.  the window units for the rest of the cupola were completely disassemble, meaning carefully destroyed.  here's an old photo of the start of the process.

measurements were carefully taken(...remember to measure twice and cut once) and the cuts were made.  the units were assembled at the factory with super-glue so a small amount of shock applied with a steady force will break the bonds.  i'll say this, you must use a quality caa glue (super-glue) to re-assemble in a timely fashion.  you can use other wood glues, but you're gonna wait awhile.  don't even try to use the dime store brands of super-glue, you'll just make a mess with it.

the photo below is of the stock unit compared to the modified one.  the stock unit is on the left.

the modified unit may look finished, but the detail work has only just begun.  the unit will have it's imperfections filled and sanded, then placed on the cupola for the application of additional details.  here's a look at the cupola getting closer to where it will start looking like an ic caboose.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #833 on: Jan 18th, 2009, 9:56pm »

hi all,

got a chance to do a couple more detail items today other than the window units.  a couple of months back, ray sent some gorgeous trucks my way.  over the last week, i got the chance to disassemble, clean them with alcohol, and prime them.  the trucks are cast aluminum so they have to be primed with a good etching primer in order to hold their top coat.  with the colder weather, it took a few more days to cure.  a couple of days ago, i got them into their top coat and today i re-assembled them.    ray...you're going to have a hard time prying them out of my hands!

just wait unti the journal box covers are added!

remember the detail piece i wanted to add to the door jamb?  here's a look at it now.

and there's more to come...stay tuned!

enjoy,

moose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #834 on: Jan 18th, 2009, 10:39pm »

George,  beautiful work!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #835 on: Jan 19th, 2009, 7:45pm »

hi all,

ray:  thanks for the compliment...but i've got to tell ya, it's not as hard to work on as your mike!  

to all:  sometimes the work you want to do just can't be done due to conditions.  in this case, the interior paint on the cupola needed more time to cure.  when matching close-fitting parts and the 'dry' paint feels 'sticky', it's time to set it aside and allow extra curing time.  this means the detail work on the cupola roof will wait a couple more days.  on to other tasks...and on a project like this, there are always other things to do.  here's a look at what happened today.

the endsills needed to be made and fitted, here's the 'b' end.

the next item happened to be the 'b' end roof supports that remain on the car and aren't lifted away with the roof.  much like the erie caboose, additional supports will be added.

and finally, the corner braces...something that requires alot of thought, planning and checking.  if you don't, you're going to be cutting them out numerous times!  they require 2 angle cuts and 1 compound cut...think fancy furniture legs.  did i have to re-do any of mine?  no, i got it right the first time!  remember, alot of thought and planning go into this type of work.  whether it's woodworking or metalworking, visualize the end product and work backwards through the processes.

enjoy,

moose

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #836 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 7:39am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, you are pushing that bar higher and higher. You are doing a wonderful job on this caboose. Your finest yet!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #837 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 7:40pm »

hi all,

bobby:  thanks for the compliment...but i've got to tell ya that when your work is going to be paired with one of the most beautiful mikes comin' down the track, ya better do a good job!

to all:  it's been really cold today...even in florida.  cold enough to effect the work i want to do to the ic caboose.   work is getting done, but just a little slower than i'd like it to be.  getting titebond to set it's initial tack was agonizing until i realized there was a device that would speed up the process...a blow dryer.  the heat and air flow did the trick!  here's a glimpse of a couple of items that have been worked on in the shop.

look the erie caboose, i'm doing something a little unothrodox with the platform roof supports.  as the ledger boards clear the carbody and reach toward the end of the roof, they're quite fragile.  to compensate for this, i've added some extra braces.  the braces also support the inside fascia board.  this fascia board is there to support and terminate ladder and handrails.  more on that a little later, for now, here's where i'm at.

the photo above shows the longitudinal support for the fascia board.  in the upper part of the photo, the angle brace is being fitted.  here's a better view of that.

one last photo for tonight. the floor will next another going over with stain to smooth out the coloring, a little varnish and a good mopping!

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #838 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 8:29pm »

Man, I love those roof over hang support struts. Nice, nice touch. Can't wait to see here rolling along the BCRR ROW behind Ray's Mike.

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #839 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 9:41pm »

George,  I'm speechless.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »