Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 27th, 2017, 10:30pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29175 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #800 on: Oct 26th, 2008, 9:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

George,

Between the beautiful craftsman type wood work and those very neat trucks, this thing is going to be almost too nice to "play with". Heh,heh,heh.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #801 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 7:44pm »

hi all,

bruce:  some folks take their equipment and place them inside a coffee table...ray's gonna hafta do it with a dining room table!

to all:  the work continues...slowly, on both the wm caboose and the ic caboose.  the wm cupola has received the final paint and can receive the windows.  the photo below is the mock-up with the windows in place.

the cupola is now ready to be fastened to the roof and made permanent.  the wire-work is the next step for re-habing the wm cab.  the brass shades will follow that...that should see the wm cab out of the shop, finally!

in the mean time, the ic caboose has gotten more of the flooring installed.  cooler temps means the glue won't set up as fast as i would like, so the process slows down a bit.

it's starting to look more and more finished, even to me...but there's a long way to go!  in the photo below, the cupola battery box is getting it's siding put on.

it'll soon be time to start the electrical and make the conduit runs!

enjoy,

moose

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008, 7:48pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #802 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 9:47pm »

Moose/George,
Hopefully you won't mind a "Dear Abby" type question in this thread.  I know you use scribed plywood for the outside of your wood caboose projects and they really look good.  But have you tried making your own "stripwood" and assembling the car sides from these?  

The reason I ask is that I have been contemplating a project to build an outside-braced boxcar with wood sheathing.  On these cars the wood siding runs behind steel bracing and is horizontal rather than vertical.  Also, the wood siding is wider.  Something like the boxcar in the link below:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/acfx/ic171500asw.jpg

Seems like it might be easier to use separate strips.  What are your thoughts?

Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #803 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:30pm »

Very nice work as always!  I'm glad I could be a teacher as well, lol.  Also, I haven't forgotten you, I'll have a few toys for you when I come down for the UnMeet...

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #804 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:46pm »

hi all,

dan:  never hesitate to ask!  about the strip-wood, i've gone round-n-round with my resident advisor about the very technique you speak of.   it is quite doable.  the caveat is that you have to use quarter sawn lumber to keep the grain runout from the 'boards' that run in different directions once the wood stresses are relieved by re-sawing. wood stresses can make a straight piece of scale lumber do amazing things...and cause a high degree of frustration(think twisted preztels).  to do this, you are going to haunt the high grade lumber yards and/or mail-order specialty shops(think millwork, furniture, etc) for kiln dried wood like basswood, some maples, some fruitwoods, some of the exotics, and even some nutwoods.  the wood you are looking for will have the growth rings perpendicular to the faces of the lumber and straight through the entire length of the board.  unlike buying a 2x4 stud, you are buying by the board/foot.  for those who don't know what a board/foot is think 1" thick x 12" wide x 12" long, that's a board/foot.  it doesn't matter what the actual dimensions of the piece is, mathmatically it will be converted to board/feet for payment purposes.  if you want a weathered, ragged exterior, you might try spanish cypress.  to a lesser extent, you could also use guitar woods(a bit on the expensive side).  using tight-grained quarter sawn lumber also gives the grainy effort of miniature boards.

okay, having said all that, why put all that time and effort into creating your own dimensionally stable lumber just to glue it to a piece of plywood?  why not go the extra mile and create a board-on-board body?  if you've done your homework, the plywood you would have used becomes your flat build template board.  this is how i layed up airplane wings, scale building interiors, and a few ship's keels.  some of the scrap lumber from your re-saw operation would provide internal support for you double walls.  don't want double walls?  by the time you add the external bracing, you're home free!  you see where i'm going with this dan?   you could start a new thread, right here on railfan!

justin:  many thanks for the kind words!  can't wait to see you again, let me know if you need a ride to the un-meet.

to all:  it's been raining this past weekend, so the shop has not been as busy as i would like.  i've gotten just about all the flooring done and have started on the windows.  even got a chance to experiment with the centersill for another model that's still a ways off.  the ic caboose centersill will be the beneficiary of this experience.  today was "relieve your personal stresses day" in largo...my friend tom and i built most of a switch as the trains went by.  gotten keep my hands into trackwork so they don't get lazy!

stay tuned,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #805 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 8:49pm »

hi all,

work has slowed a bit on the ic caboose, but still there are things getting done.  the wm caboose is still recieving work on it's grabirons and other wirework.  it will be leaving before the end of the month...it's owner is back and would like to see it at long last.  for those that remember, the shay has been lifted off its storage track and onto the work bench.  as time permits, it will be disassembled and the frame lengthened.  the tender has also been removed from its frame and put in a place of honor overlooking all the shop activity.

this past saturday was a road trip day for 3 of us, so it was off to see the florida flywheelers november meet.  damn, what fun!  i'll post pictures soon.  more than 200 acres of antique steam, gas, and diesel, if it moved, it was either there or parts of it were.  we had a ball...note to self, take a john deere 300 next time to ride on.  note to pockets...you can go with when you bring the john deere 300 back down here.

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #806 on: Nov 16th, 2008, 8:40pm »

hi all,

it's been fun in the shop, the wm caboose is almost back together.  most of repair work has been done.  most of the work now is finishing up the painting touch up.  cooler temps over the weekend slowed that process down a little.  at the moment, i'll waiting on a photo upload to show you the progress.

okay, here's a look at the 'b' end tonight.  the handrails and grab-irons have been put back in place.  the steps will be complete in the next day or two.

better view.  the cupola is now permanently fastened to the roof...now let them do 80 mph.

the last bit of construction to go is the creation of the roof grab-irons and window shades.  2 of the 4 grab-irons are made and the other 2 will be done in the next day or two.  the window shades take a little longer.

more to come...stay tuned!

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #807 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 8:39pm »

hi all,

the last of the grab-irons were made today!  tomorrow will see them fitted up and readied for painting.  the last bit of construction left to do on the wm caboose is the cupola shades.  stay tuned, i'll have photos shortly!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #808 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 8:39pm »

hi all,

i've finally gotten to the cupola shades and they are done!  this was a task i don't exactly relish due to the sharp edges (i know, wear gloves) of the shim brass.  once the all the brasswork has been prepared and painted, i can finish the installation.  the wm caboose is soooo close to being done, again.  the photos below show the continuing work on getting this caboose out of here!

enjoy!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #809 on: Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:20pm »

hi all,

the wm caboose is soooo close to being able to leave the shop!  lower temps means the paint on the last 5 pieces of wirework still hasn't cured enough to be handled.  by tomorrow afternoon, they'll be installed and the caboose available for pick up.  i can now get back to the ic caboose!

pictures tomorrow!

moose

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:23pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #810 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 5:26pm »

hi all,

i'm still out here.  computer problems have plagued me since thanksgiving.  i hope to have it solved in the next few days.   the wm caboose is gone and the work continues a pace on the ic caboose.  most of the underframe has been completed and will soon be finalized.  it's a matter of making sure the suspension and carbody work together.  i'm currently on a borrowed computer so no pictures, but keep your fingers crossed!  it's going to be a race to the finish....the caboose and the mike!

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #811 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 7:06pm »

George,

Glad to see you back in here. Even without pics.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #812 on: Dec 21st, 2008, 8:15am »

hi all,

bruce:  thanks for keepin' things going!  new computer is up and running, but still having some issues with everything that connects to it...ain't new technology wonderful?!  pockets is familiar with my situation.  i'll have everything back to 'normal' by the first week of january.  will be away this week, so keep'em in line!

on Dec 15th, 2008, 7:06pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

to all:  the ic caboose undercarriage is about 99% done, only some minor suspension details to take care of.  the carbody will be on it's wheels shortly!

moose

George,

Glad to see you back in here. Even without pics.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #813 on: Dec 21st, 2008, 8:38am »

George,  
NORMAL is not a word usually associated with computers! At least not in my universe.

Good to have you back on line.

17*F, 12" on the ground and falling steadily. 2"-4", per da, forecast till Christmas. Time to put another log on the fire!!!

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #814 on: Dec 21st, 2008, 1:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greg, time to be building that Clam Lake snow wedge!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #815 on: Dec 21st, 2008, 5:24pm »

Bobby,
Been looking at the Sandy River's plow and a couple off of logging roads. Might skinny one of those Colorado flangers down to 2' gauge, too! Gotta build a railroad first, though!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  SANY0617.jpg - 55062 Bytes
« Reply #816 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 8:45pm »

hi all,

thanks for keeping an eye on this thread while i was away!  we got back from our trip to discover that the venerable ford exploder needed more work than miracles could provide, so the new years' activities included tracking down a suitable replacement vehicle....WHAT to do with it will be another thread in the not TOO distant future.   for now, i have to spend another day on health issues then it's back into the shop...nose to the grindstone.  progress has been made.  i know ray's been wanting to know what's happenin'.

here's a glimpse of where i'm at.  i'll show the underframe construction in the next few days.

enjoy!

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SANY0617.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #817 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 9:42pm »

'bout time, too. Been a long dry spell!

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #818 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 6:57pm »

George,

As useual, its a pleasure to see your workmanship. I can't wait to see this neat caboose first hand. BTW, this up coming Un-Meet will have quite a few firsts.  

A couple of new engines, a couple of new boilers, and a beautiful new caboose. WOW that should be something.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #819 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 7:59pm »

hi all,

today was the first day that i could and did spend on just the ic caboose.  blissfully spending time with just the caboose on my mind!  i haven't had this much time to spend since just after thanksgiving.

that having been said, alot has been done since i last posted a progress report.  since then, we've added a few new folks to the list that are interested in building their own equipment.  i personally want to welcome chris to this thread and invite him to let me know when he'll be starting his project.  as i have oft said, our journey is along individual paths.  pockets, myself, and the other old hands are here to help you.

ray:  the ic caboose got a big push today!  the undercarriage was de-greased and primed today!  here's a look back at how it started.

the fit up.

to finally getting primed.  sorry, the in between parts got erased by a family member before i could save them.  a welder i'm not, but my work gets better with each new project...no, the next won't be a boiler!

as it sits on the trucks.

i must say that this frame is one of the heaviest yet, even with out adding any ballast to it.  steel...does a body good!

enjoy,

moose

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »