Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29270 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  geres_commissary_car_5-20-06_001.jpg - 43156 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: May 20th, 2006, 9:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

today was a day of surprizes, both good   and bad .  i'd wanted to finish up most of the wire work today so that i could take the car to my local track and 'road' test it.  unfortunately, that won't happen til next week.  last night, i decided to change the way i make to porch railings.  if you look up to the pictures of the drover's caboose, you'll get an idea of how i did them.  instead of a one-piece railing, i chose to silver solder almost 5 pieces of tubing and rod.  i purchased a mini butane torch (it worked great) because my mapp torch puts out too much heat.  couldn't find my silver solder so i tried rosin core...what a disaster!

off to the hobby store for more tubing and silver solder.  building the porch railings this way was a new challenge for me, and i think that you'll agree that the impact the finished railings have is better than what i've done before.

my family have been workers in wood for many generations.  so the adage 'measure twice, cut once' really hits home.  it applies to drills holes as well!  only after one of the porches was finished and waiting for the railing did i notice that i'd used the wrong mark to establish where the holes in the endsill were for locating the porch railing...and drilled them.  oops!  oh well!  tomorrow, if i've done the repair well, you won't know that there was a problem.  until then, here's a picture of how the railings look.  even with the troubles, i managed to learn something today.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-20-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-21-06_013.jpg - 52072 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: May 21st, 2006, 10:12pm »

hi all,

in the post above, i showed where the 'oops' was made.  here's a photo of the repair.  the new holes have been drilled.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-21-06_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-21-06_016.jpg - 33965 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: May 21st, 2006, 10:15pm »

hi all,

here's how it looks tonight.  better?!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-21-06_016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #83 on: May 22nd, 2006, 7:11pm »

George, my lad. Remind me not to rear end that thing on a run week-end. The cloud of dust from all that putty could be lethal! LOL

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-22-06_022.jpg - 59757 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: May 22nd, 2006, 10:00pm »

hi all...and pockets too!

i've found that if you make a small mistake, you can usually fix it (fiberous wood filler, rather than putty).  if i've made a BIG mistake, i've found that it is easiest just to make a new part.  in the instance of the endsill railing pockets, it was an easy fix with filler.   if you've been watching the thread with an eagle eye, you noted that the door on the 'a' end (dining room end) has changed from when it was first fitted.  friday night, as i was checking the sheathing on the door exterior, it slipped from my hands and struck a sharp object.  it does happen once in a while.  in this case, it was easier to replace than to fix.  

hey pockets!  if you smack the end of this car, you'll get splinters and a steel rash looonnnggg before you get a cloud of dust!   LOL, LOL  .

okay, tonight the model is where i wanted it to be on saturday evening.  here's a picture of the progress on the wire work.  the hand railings aren't permanently in place, nor are they aligned.   yet, you can see the effect for the finished look of the model.   there's alot that has to happen before this weekend, but i'm slowly whittling down my to-do list.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on May 22nd, 2006, 7:11pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George, my lad. Remind me not to rear end that thing on a run week-end. The cloud of dust from all that putty could be lethal! LOL

Greg B.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-22-06_022.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2006, 10:19pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #85 on: May 23rd, 2006, 9:05am »

All set for hurricane season....Even plywooded the door  

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #86 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:25am »

That is ONE AWESOME car. Fer a wood butcher, yer doin ALRIGHT !!!!

Bruce R.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #87 on: May 23rd, 2006, 5:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose, if you keep this up, I will be forced into talking to you about building me a Boston & Maine wooden caboose!   Your attention to detail is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.  Bobby

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006, 5:52pm by BMNW21201 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-23-06_002.jpg - 34277 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:33pm »

hi all,

thanks for your comments.  they prove what's right with the hobby.  bobby, between pockets, bruce, coffee, and all the others that have weighed in on my efforts to show and teach others the fun of building railcars, i too am inspired by them.  pockets, coffee, and bruce are personally known to me and it is my pleasure to call them friends.  both pockets and bruce are master craftsmen in their own right.  i don't say that lightly because we are no longer a nation of builders and craftsmen.  these two guys have seen my work and the learning curve that is still occuring.  like good coaches, each in turn ask the question, "ya got just a little more?"  each showing me new ways to do things.  what i do in wood, they produce absolutely wonderful things in metal.

everyone is afraid of change, me included.  i was fearful of how my work would be perceived when i began posting on the largo thread.  it worked!  people enjoyed seeing what i was doing.  threads are generally idea specific, so i wasn't sure that i was posting in the right place.  it was bruce, in the beginning and finally pockets joined in the fray to get me to start my own thread.   that in itself was scary, i'd never done that before.  well, here i am, the water is fine.

i don't advertise it, but i do build for those who want something unique and don't want to do it themselves.  i've also been known to give railcars away to good friends and deserving souls.  this is my hobby, it keeps me out of trouble (mostly).  most guys like to operate what they've built, i get a kick out of watching others use and enjoy my equipment.

tonight, i wanted to show the progress made on the brake wheel detail.  on an earlier caboose, i used 1/8th brass rod for a mandrel to form 2 small pieces of shim brass into guide-recievers for the hand brake gear.  the idea worked well, but meant that the rod had to stand away from the handrailing.  in later research, i noticed that many times, the brake wheel rod came up through the endsill.  by doing that, there was a savings of materials for the railroads.  so...if they did it, why not me?

the photo below shows the brake wheel rod (3/32 brass) encased by a piece of 1/8 brass tubing.  info:  the brake wheels that i'm using are from scott lindsey of j & r railcars (reasonable and great people to know).  scott's brake wheels are of tough plastic and resist breakage quite handily.  the brake wheel is already bored for 1/8 rod...so 3/32 rod ain't a good fit.  to get the brake wheel to ride high enough over the handrail was a snap.  i cut 1 small (1/4 inch) piece of 1/8 brass tube to act as both hub for the brake wheel and spacer above the handrailing.  the top end of the 3/32 brass rod was filed round and left proud of the 1/8 brass tube by about 3/32.  the tube was silver soldered to the rod and the brake wheel was glued to the tubing.  take a look and see what you think!  

now i count you as a friend too.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on May 23rd, 2006, 5:51pm, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose, if you keep this up, I will be forced into talking to you about building me a Boston & Maine wooden caboose!   Your attention to detail is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.  Bobby

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-23-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006, 10:36pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-23-06_001.jpg - 41708 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:42pm »

hi all,

here's a picture of the top of the brake wheel assembly.  this will receive a small 'hex' nut before final installation.  more about that later this week.  take a look and see what you think!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-23-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #90 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:06am »

HA, how does it look It looks GREAT.  

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #91 on: May 24th, 2006, 1:49pm »

It does look good. Real good.

George meant to say square nut, though. When he checks his chronology, he will realize that he mis-spoke himself......

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #92 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:17pm »

i did and they are doughnuts...i mean squarenuts.  they were added today.  i will show how they turned out tomorrow!

moose the caboose

on May 24th, 2006, 1:49pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It does look good. Real good.

George meant to say square nut, though. When he checks his chronology, he will realize that he mis-spoke himself......

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-26-06_009.jpg - 25922 Bytes
« Reply #93 on: May 26th, 2006, 9:32pm »

hi all,

it's been a couple of days working on the details for the commissary car.  some of the detail items i knew i wanted to add, some were suggested by your comments...many thanks.  today, i took a hard look at what condition the car was in and decided to halt some of the installation work until i was satisfied with the interior.  the car's interior was painted white early in construction, in some places it had become shop-worn and in others two coats of paint simply didn't cover the wood resins (yes, stain-kill was used, but sometimes even it doesn't work).  

it's re-painted now and the interior divider walls are ready to install tomorrow.  i've the two access doors to do touch-up paint on, but everything else is looking good.  the windows and the rest of the work-work will go on tomorrow as well.

with any luck, the car will head to the track for trials this weekend.  here's a photo of the re-painted interior.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-26-06_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #94 on: May 26th, 2006, 9:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Neat! I really love your work, Moose.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-26-06_007.jpg - 32363 Bytes
« Reply #95 on: May 26th, 2006, 9:52pm »

hi all,

here's a picture of how the brake wheels turned out...with square nuts!  in this case, i used strip plastic bored for 1/8 inch then filed it to shape.  this detail could also have been done by threading the top of the brake rod and tieing it down with an appropriate nut.  for those that want to go forward with a working manually operated brake system, this would be a better option.

for you eagle-eyed folks, in the picture above there's no pawl or ratchet.  that will come later (as soon as i figure out how to do it).  in most photos, you'll see the pawl and ratchet at the foot of the brake wheel shaft.  on the rare few, it was placed directly under the brake wheel on top of the hand rails.  that will be done on this model.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-26-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #96 on: May 26th, 2006, 10:07pm »

hi adam17,

thanks for stopping in!  who knows, maybe we will get you to make some sawdust someday soon!

moose the caboose

on May 26th, 2006, 9:36pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Neat! I really love your work, Moose.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2006, 10:20pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #97 on: May 26th, 2006, 11:02pm »

George,
'bout time you finished messin' with that brake wheel. Nice job, though. See you, here, Sunday. I even cleaned up the shop for such a distinguished celebrity.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-27-06_001.jpg - 62663 Bytes
« Reply #98 on: May 27th, 2006, 10:10pm »

hi all,

it's been a long day.  here's a photo of how the car currently looks.  still just a few more exterior details to add and touch-up painting to do, but outwardly, the car is done.  work on the interior walls progresses and should be finished tomorrow.  when the interior is where i want it, the last two windows will be installed.

monday is trials day.  i won't release it until i'm happy that it rides well and will remain coupled to a train.  believe it or not, many people don't think about this and will debut their creation without troubleshooting it.  it's hard watching a grown man cry when his 'toy' becomes uncoupled and is re-kitified by the train following his!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-27-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-27-06_008.jpg - 60724 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: May 27th, 2006, 10:17pm »

hi all,

here's another photo of how the car looks.  
enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-27-06_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »