Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29076 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #780 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 8:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

many thanks for the compliments, but this thread is about pushing oneself to do better.  it's also about showing others that they too, can do something like it.  you'll find with every new project i work on, i too am growing in my research, approach, and skills.

alan:  great to have you here again!  about the hearty-ness of the equipment we build, in some respects, you're right.  the equipment has to be able to handle the normal crash and bang of train movements.  i do that with steel centersills.  what it cannot handle are the thoughtless ones who mishandle the details on the equipment.  just because it has step units doesn't mean that you can pick them up by grabbing them.  pockets and i both laugh at the idea of building in steel ledgerboards on my cabooses because they would make great handles for picking them up...the idea IS receiving serious consideration.  i also don't build in seats for my equipment because of the wear and tear caused by getting in and out.  i'll repair anything i build...within reason!  if you go back a page or two, you'll see the wm caboose back in the shop because some folks thought it was a good idea to haul it at 80 mph in an open trailer.  this car was built for a gentleman who hasn't seen the finished product yet.  he's been held up at his home in indiana for more than a year and a half.  the car was being held in a semi-finished state to allow him to add lighting and markers.  aside from the transport damage, this car was stored in a careless manner...more details broken.  i now have to restore it to new condition.  how many people you know of that transport railroad equipment in open trailers at 80 mph?  had the transport been done in an enclosed trailer or other vehicle, and had they taken care to store it properly, i wouldn't have to do all this work.   the heart of the matter is that all they had to do was ask...they were in too big of a hurry!  the bulk of the ic and the wm cabooses have to be done so i can finish a bass guitar and dulcimer for my godson.  it's all about time and woodchips.

to all:  to echo pockets' thoughts on public riding cars, i've been and still are a member of a club that pulls the public.  if you're pulling the public in open cars...ergo, gons, hoppers, flatcars, etc..you're fooling yourself!  cars that put the public's feet farther than 2 to 3 inches from the right-of-way invites law suits.  know this, NO written, signed, and agreed upon waiver is going to stop a hungry lawyer from getting to you or your insurance company!  the t-riders pockets spoke of are the best solution at the moment.  a t-rider allows the passenger the natural option to save themselves.  it does take a good conductor to make sure they don't abuse the privilege.  if you're a private track hauling invited friends and live steamers, you can do as you please...the dangers are still there, but we readily accept them.

ray:  more to come, but i got rained out today...sorry!

pockets:  thanks for being who you are!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-8-08_004.jpg - 104639 Bytes
« Reply #781 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 9:24pm »

hi all,

progress on the ic caboose has slowed a bit due to rain, the precision of the next few steps, and the need to grab another handful of materials.  i've finally been able to pull out and true up the saw table to adjust for a blade drift of about 1/8".  on a straight-line cut, it's not soo bad, but on compound angles, it's a waste of materials.  what is blade drift?  it's the ability of the blade to wobble in either the vertical plane or the horizontal or both.  in my case, it was horizontal drift.  i spent an afternoon shimming the blade arbor to run true to the fence.  this procedure should be done at setup on all stationary saws, but frequently isn't.  someone who's serious about woodworking will keep an eye on saw precision after periods of heavy use.  shoving lumber through a saw takes it's toll on the arbor shaft and bearings.  well, i got my drift on a 10" blade down to 1/32"...enough to restart my work, but something to keep an eye on.

any who, here's a view of what has been added since the last posting.  in the 'a' front left corner, the 'dunny' and lockers are being fitted up.  they're not done yet, but will go in once the windows are ready.  the flooring is also being put it...slowly!  the damp weather plays hob on basswood.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-8-08_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-8-08_001.jpg - 94127 Bytes
« Reply #782 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 9:37pm »

hi all,

the battery charger is temporarily installed.  there are plenty of 1.5 amp chargers around, but most are on rubber feet.  i had to look long and hard to find one that mounted on a fender like this one.  works perfectly when mounted on an angle...you can see it with the roof on or off.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-8-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-8-08_008.jpg - 83801 Bytes
« Reply #783 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 9:43pm »

hi all,

here's picture peering in through the 'a' end door.  gonna be interesting when more of the detail has been completed!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-8-08_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-8-08_009.jpg - 128202 Bytes
« Reply #784 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 9:52pm »

hi all,

the work continues, the ic caboose has its roof fascia mocked up...no, it's not gonna look exactly like this, but i'll be engineering a double-fascia drop-in system much like the erie caboose.  it's just gonna take time to get the pieces worked out and installed.  the 'b' roof has received some smoothing efforts to get things ready for the tar paper.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-8-08_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #785 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 10:04pm »

George,

W O W...You are really out-doing yourself on this one!!!!! The interior  was'nt something that I was ready for. I can't wait to see it.

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #786 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 11:23pm »

George FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #787 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 12:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Now this is what I would call a Taylor-Made caboose! Yes, pun was fully intended. George if you don't finish this hack soon, we the peanut gallery are going to pumb run out of adjectives.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #788 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 7:10am »

Moosey,
How do you plan to route power to that charger? Just a thought, but how about a computer power cord and mating male receptical, down through the floor? It would eliminate the dragging of an extension cord through that nice interior....

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #789 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 3:28pm »

hi all,

testing!

trying multiple images...just like justin!

possibly my next project!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #790 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 3:57pm »

Man, talk about deflation! We're all pumped up for the latest moose droppings, over here, and what do we get?  

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #791 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 9:20pm »

hi all,

greg:  test is over!  

to all:  slipped eccentric taught me a few things over the last couple of weeks...how to post multiple images within a post.  you'd think that it would be evident...well, i guess i can still learn a few things from a young whippersnapper!  thank you justin!  you kicked the cobwebs from the corners of my mind.

for a couple of days now, i've been busy building furniture for the ic caboose.  may not seem like much, but sometimes you can build the full size items faster than the model size.  years ago, with all the machinery set up, i could cut and finish enough lumber for 5 or 6 custom tables aday.  it's all about production.  well, the table for the ic caboose was different, i haven't done this kind of work in years.  in my conversations with pockets, i was asked why doesn't it have a working drawer?  after all, the full size did in the photos that i've found.  making a working drawer taking almost as much time as the table itself.  well, i figured out how to do it!  if there's time, i'll build it.  there's still a lot i want to get to.

the first picture is the overall impression of the interior with the table.

if you were looking at the interior through the 'a' end door, this is a better view of the table.

the table wasn't the only thing i was working on.  there's an icebox in the corner at the end of the bunk.  there's still some more work to be done before the detail becomes evident.

one last view for tonight, a look from the other end!

there was a few more things going on, but those items will have to wait!

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #792 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 11:49pm »

O-M-G !! George, your NUTZ. This caboose has gone WAY over the edge.

Ray, start making a glass case for it, heh,heh,heh.

Your envious friend, Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #793 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 10:44pm »

hi all,

bruce:  one batch in the bottle and a second on the brew!

to all:  my schedule has changed a bit due to a co-worker with menengitis(he's going to be fine), so between working extra hours and kicking a skytrain project in high gear...shop time has been in short supply.   as those who build know all too well, you can't cheat the process.  while there are still things to be done on the interior, i need to get the undercarriage done.  the detail work is now getting delicate and moving the car around by hand will soon be out of the question.  in the mean time, i've also wanted to get back to the wm caboose so i could get it out of the shop.  i need the build space it is currently sitting in.   when i arrived home friday morning, i set about one of the tasks necessary to make that happen.  i put on the 'tar paper' roof.

it's also come to my attention that some may not know how i do it.  well, here's a picture of the basic materials.

that's right, primer paint, paper shop towels, and a paint brush(okay...and a 5-n-1 tool to open the paint can).  you simply pre-paint the roof, apply the paper towels, and re-coat to soak with paint.

as long as you work carefully and methodically, it works!

when the paint has cured, i'll re-coat again and then prime the rest of the cupola.

ray:  just in case you thought the ic caboose wouldn't get any attention!

enjoy,

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #794 on: Oct 19th, 2008, 7:24am »

George,

I'm speachless!! And ,I'm fully aware of how unuseual that may sound to folks that really know me!

The work your doing on that IC cab, well, I'm speachless.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #795 on: Oct 24th, 2008, 6:22pm »

hi all,

bruce:  many thanks for the compliments...i just hope others will follow our examples and try things for themselves.  btw, 2 batches in the bottle!

to all:  i'm serious about getting you to try my techniques for yourself.  once you try them, you can change'em to suit yourself.  it's that easy once you've put in enough time to gain the skills.

about the wm caboose, here's where it's at up and until today.  in the photo below, the interior has been painted and allowed to cure.  no great revelation here!

in the next photo, the exterior has been masked off (my favorite blue tape) and the tar paper has been painted flat black.

when that coat of paint cured, the interior and roof were masked off in preparation for the cupola exterior paint.  that was done today...photos after it is cured!

about the ic caboose, it also got some attention over the last week.  the weather is starting to change...gettin' wetter!?  so i'm trying to get the carbody primer as soon as i can.  to do that, i have to sand the individual grooves smooth and in a 'v' shape to create a semi tongue-n-groove look.  it is also necessary in getting rid of any splinters or saw fuzz from the grooving process.  here's a look at how far the carbody is at the moment.

still a ways to go!

enjoy,  

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #796 on: Oct 24th, 2008, 7:21pm »

hi all,

the trucks for the ic caboose are here!  man, are they gorgeous!  great job ray, you snagged a winner!  for those who aren't familiar, the icrr like some many others, used barber trucks for their cabin cars.  there are several different variations, the trucks shown below are one of those.  not only is the level of detail greater than what is generally found in the hobby, but the leaf springs are functional via a central spring plank.  i talked to ray tonight about how i climbed into the box and found a problem...there's only one set of trucks!  oh well!

here's a side view of them.

a view from the top.

and another from the bottom.

the journal box detail!

i think all will agree that they will set off the ic caboose to a 't'!

ray, ya done good!  now just tell the others how you came across them!

enjoy,

moose

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #797 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 8:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hey Ray, it looks like your caboose will be done before the engine. hee hee.  

George, you are an artist in the medium of wood and steel.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #798 on: Oct 26th, 2008, 7:27pm »

hi all,

bobby:  thanks for the vote of confidence...but anybody can do what i do given time and a willingness to try it.

to all:  over the last two or three days, a lot of small operations have been performed.  mostly refining and priming some of the furniture that i previous assembled.  due to a family-involved event on saturday, i didn't get much of what i wanted to do, done.  however, work continues on both the ic caboose as well as the wm caboose.  the photo below shows the cupola for the wm caboose in it's first color coat, just your basic black.

the windows for this car have received their inner and outer coats of paint, making them ready for installation.  when i'm happy with the cupola and how it will be mounted on the carbody, the windows will be installed.

work on the ic caboose?  not only did the furniture see some refinement, i had a chance to work out the undercarriage and centersill.  the pieces shown in the photo, need further work, but you can see the basic look of the frame.  

ic used h-beams in place of wooden needle beams for later builds and re-builds.  this is the look that i wanted to pull out for ray to see.  

still a lot work left before welding can take place.  i'm going down to my neighbor's shop to get the coupler pockets milled out in order to weld 1" c-channel on both sides.  ultimately, i will build transition-era cars with steel centersills from h-beams.  that's another step to be taken in my journey.

stay tuned!

moose

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008, 7:36pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #799 on: Oct 26th, 2008, 8:17pm »

Boy, I'm glad to see all that steel in the underframe. Ol' Ray, being a good CSX hogger, is gonna tie that thing down and use it as a bumper to build his train on!  ;)

Get about forty cars and that hack behind the Mike and it'll be fun when the slack runs in comin' off'n the trestle! Talk about a hammer!

Greg B.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »