Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29148 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  erie_legacy_caboose_8-20-07_004.jpg - 124434 Bytes
« Reply #760 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 8:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

dan: here's the view that had the car been mine, tears would have been flowing.  sooooo many memories, sooooo many stories, and sooooo many miles on this caboose it would have been hard to turn loose of it.  as pockets can tell you, it was a constant struggle to balance building new to restoring old.  what to be careful of and what to renew/rebuild.  as has been said before, it would have been much easier to start from scratch.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_8-20-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_007.jpg - 114160 Bytes
« Reply #761 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:05pm »

hi all,

dan:  here's a view of the rebuild in progress.  at this point, the car is back together and the roof is being built.

to all: it was a blast to work on!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_007.jpg - 119867 Bytes
« Reply #762 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:11pm »

hi all,

to all:  recapping the erie rebuild for dan and some of the new folks.  on this project, even the underside got some attention.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_02-28-08_002-2.jpg - 130882 Bytes
« Reply #763 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:26pm »

hi all,

to dan and all:  the photo below was taken at the '08' un-meet.  you're seeing the erie caboose as delivered.  as a side note, i'd saved all the roof and all the bits and pieces that had been taken off the 'weary erie'.  with bruce the larger's help, we presented them to bruce r as the results of a 'mishap' i'd had on the way down.  i had, btw, a tire blow-out just before i'd gotten to my hotel the night before.  the look on his face was priceless!  you don't fool him for very long, it only took seconds for him to figure out that we were pulling his leg!  the most satisfying feeling i get is to see the faces of my friends when their caboose are finally revealed.  even more so is seeing them heading out on the high iron.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_02-28-08_002-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:29pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  tools_3-10-07_009.jpg - 138222 Bytes
« Reply #764 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:50pm »

hi all,

rick:  you asked about the grooved plywood that i use.  the answer to where to get it is to make it.  i do all my own work with my 'armstrong' lumber mill.  see photo below!  with a steady pace, i can groove enough wood for a single caboose in just 1 hr 45 mins, much longer if i take a pevo break!  note to all at home, adult beverages and power tools don't mix.  a pevo break means i'm done for the day.  i try to use a furniture grade plywood for both the foundation and the sides.  5 ply or better if i can get it...its a little more stable, has much fewer voids (voids ruin your work).  since most of my cars are 48 inches or less in main body length, i like the exterior grain to run vertical with the grooves.  higher grades of plywood offer another plus, you can hide the roving wood grain much easier than with course plys like b-c or c-d grades.  most of the better supply houses take much better care of the higher grades than the big box stores take with the more common grades.  in short, most b-c or c-d grades are warped or soon will be after the grain tensions are released when you are doing the grooving operation.  rick, let me know if you need more info.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/tools_3-10-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #765 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:00am »

Moose,
I made my request for your "drawings" with some trepidation as I was afraid that you might be building your projects "from brain to grain".  Actually I do the same thing, although the fruits of my labors are much sparser.  Usually a few sketches on graph paper is about all I do.  Anyway, I will welcome whatever you can provide me.  
Bruce,
I also completely forgot about the Erie caboose while I was there.  Bummer.  I'll make a point of looking for it next time.
Dan

Rick_Pike
TRAINing

« Reply #766 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:11pm »

Moose,
  Thanks for the reply. That was what I had planned to do, just wasn't sure if there were any other sources. I am planning to build some wood reefers as my next project. Didn't know if the saw blade would make a too wide gap or if I could get a smaller blade for the circular saw. The only time I use my saw is to rip or cut off something. Thanks for the help.

Your never to old to have a happy childhood

Rick Pike
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #767 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:21pm »

hi all,

rick:  my helpful hint to (it's our secret...don't tell a soul!) you is to use a plywood blade.  i budget a new blade for every project.  constant running shallow through a glue layer causes the teeth to stay too hot.  running through ordinary wood fiber isn't a problem, the blades last a lot longer.  when you see blue and the smell the burn, it's time to change.  by creating your grooves no deeper than 1/16th inch, you can prime and paint with just about any technique you want.  deeper grooves allow thicker paints to 'glop' together...just unappealing.  so why not use a veining bit in a router?  it's been my experience that no matter how hard i tried, the bit tears out some of the wood grain.  i spent more time repairing the tear-outs than building the car.  the plywood blade isn't perfect, but it works.  if you're going to cut across the grain, tape it up with masking tape.  that will cut down on the amount of repair you have to do as the blade moves up on the back side and down through the cut on the front side.

to all:  power saws are can be hazardous to your fingers, use with care...lots of care!  2nd helpful hint, on table saws, cut the wood good side up, on circular saws and radial arm saws, good side down.  those tricks will help elimnate tear-outs on the visible side of your plywood.  the use of masking tape helps with both sides.

dan:  i was in the entertainment industry so long that for building sets and scenery, the plans sent down by the production designers were usually wrong.  given the critical dimensions of space, usage, ratio, and production requirements, sketching on cocktail napkins provided the needed reminders for construction.  i created technical drawings only for outside vendors...or for folks who had a problem visualizing a special set piece or process.  this way of working will change once i start making metal chips.  

btw, pockets and george h will lol and recognize that when a plan set is good and has been used is by the scribbles and coffee stains!  clean drawings are left out as eye-candy for the unknowing!

moose

on Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:11pm, Rick_Pike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
  Thanks for the reply. That was what I had planned to do, just wasn't sure if there were any other sources. I am planning to build some wood reefers as my next project. Didn't know if the saw blade would make a too wide gap or if I could get a smaller blade for the circular saw. The only time I use my saw is to rip or cut off something. Thanks for the help.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #768 on: Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:52pm »

Well, per ol' Moosey's request, he now has the sketches and notes on how I'd build the windows (right or wrong).  He was going to pick up an arm load of brass (Short pieces, but lots of them) and take a shot at it. It's just an upscaled version of how I built working double hungs when I was in O Scale.

Greg B

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-4-08_001.jpg - 69127 Bytes
« Reply #769 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 8:36pm »

hi all,

pockets, i'm most thankful for both the drawings and the time you took to put your thoughts on paper.  and you're right, it's going to take a lot of brass structure pieces!  the scaled-up windows that we are talking about have a closer-to-scale look than the dollhouse windows i've been using.  dollhouse windows were better than what's out there for most caboose installations and i'll still use them where appropriate, but this method, as i've studied it in my mind, is going to put me much closer to me goal of building in a finer scale as time goes on.  

to all:  with pockets' permission, i'm going to build the first window unit by hand.  after that, i've figure out a jig to hold things in registration so i can speed up the process...there are 16 units to be made!  the first picture tonight was a test to see if the brass strips available lend themselves to the thickness of the wood siding...it does!

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-4-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-4-08_010.jpg - 118624 Bytes
« Reply #770 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 8:50pm »

hi all,

ray:  are you ready for this?  the photo below shows why you haven't seen any recent postings from me.  i've been building 'furniture'.  all the bunks have been built, but there's still the top seat/bed for each to be made.  an added bonus to how they were constructed...you can store the marker lights below them.  when i've gotten the cupola area built to where i want it, i'll go back and build to desks, lockers, etc.

to all: this project is a helluva build to do, but it's incredibly fun!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-4-08_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-4-08_016.jpg - 100544 Bytes
« Reply #771 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 9:06pm »

hi all,

here's a look at the interior of one of the bunks.  for those who are interested, the angles used for the front of the bunks were 18.5 degrees x 45 degrees.  made from 1/4" stock, the internal supports are recessed to hold the lid.  note to self - count all fingers, yep, they're all still there!  a couple of the bunks were also inletted to cover  the 3/4" braces for holding the body to the foundation.  once painted and covered by the other furniture pieces, the braces will disappear, unless you can get low enough to look!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-4-08_016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-4-08_005.jpg - 99352 Bytes
« Reply #772 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 9:20pm »

hi all,

the cupola area got some attention today as well.  having obtained a small sears 1.5 battery charger, i decided to mount it under the cupola right-side seating area.  although the charger will end up with a cover over it, the cover will be removable.  the charger will be mounted on a diagonal so that it may be seen easier.  here's a photo of the main mounting block.  the charger was originally designed to be mounted on the fender-well of an automobile, so a heat-sink maybe necessary.  also shown is the trimming out of the doorway.  both of them are done tonight!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-4-08_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_10-4-08_006.jpg - 106388 Bytes
« Reply #773 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 9:29pm »

hi all,

the last photo for tonight, the last bunk in the 'b' end of the caboose.  this one will be different from all the rest,  it will house all the switch controls for powering up the markers and internal caboose lighting.  gonna be fun wiring this puppy!  i'll show more about this thing goes together, later!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_10-4-08_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #774 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 10:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, you have surpassed yourself with this one.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #775 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 10:48pm »

He sure has, Bobby, but let's not get him too pumped up! Ol' Moose droppin's has kicked the bar up another notch. OMG! Compound miters on a 1:8 scale model.

I guess it's time to restate the obvious, for all of the new comers and the not so new comers that may need a reminder..... Cars of this caliber are models. Let that sink in. They deserve more care than to be just kicked into a storage track. Cars of the detail level that George is attaining are not to be sat on or leaned against. A very prominent member of this board has always advocated prototypical car handling. That would probably be the safest way to handle this caliber of model. Put the 0-5-0 switcher back in your pocket. There is a group, familiar to some of us, that is finding out how expensive "stupid" can be. I guess the long and short of it is: If you can't afford to own it, don't touch it....

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2008, 10:52pm by pockets » Logged

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #776 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 7:37am »

I have had a chance to sleep on my previous post and it strikes me that I my be creating a misconception concerning the delicacy of this caliber car. This level of construction is quite capable of day to day operation and will reward their owners and spectators with some badly needed eye candy, in a sea of steel tub gons.

What they WON'T do, is suffer the fools, the careless and the clumsy well. If SWMBO won't let you set the Thanksgiving table, with Grandma's china, cars of this level of construction may not be for you.

Greg B.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #777 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 10:08am »

Interesting point Greg. It usually turns out that such well built units are also capable of handling misfortunes quite well and can easily be repaired. So I wouldn't be afraid to ride in it. In fact, more than likely, there will be a line around the block waiting to ride in it. Mostly kids I'll bet. Kids from seven to seventy.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #778 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 11:01am »

George, I am speechless.    Your work is just amazing, and you are so gifted.    The interior is the icing on a cake.   man that looks good.  Ray III

pockets
Historian

« Reply #779 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 11:15am »

Alan,
I'm going to pirate George's thread, for a minute. I don't think he will mind, as I'm going to try and express his and my philosophy on large scale railroading. For whatever reasons, we arrived here from the smaller scales. One of the things that struck us was the tinplate level of detail that predominates in the larger scales. There are exceptions, of course, but they only serve to emphasize the others. What George and I are attempting is to put the "model" back into large scale model railroading.

I ran a poll, in another thread. The cars that I was talking about would be of this caliber. I was fairly underwhelmed by the number of responses, but I did get some good information. It seems that there is a place in the hobby for a craftsman type kit....  

Alan, I have to disagree with you on one thing, though. These are not rider cars. Never mind the risk to the car, riders belong on T-cars, just from the safety aspect. These are operating railroads and they can injure the unknowing. I digress....

Thanks for the space, George,
Greg B.  

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2008, 11:56am by pockets » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »