Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29378 times)
SteamHeaton
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #740 on: Sep 21st, 2008, 11:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Keep looking Greg , I want it! George, your work is just amazing.   That will really be something going down the track.  thanks for the pics. Ray III

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  SANY0003.jpg - 126077 Bytes
« Reply #741 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 9:50pm »

hi all,

ray:  we've got a problem...there was a major catastrophy in the shop today!  i'm going to have to start over.  don't worry, i'll catch up.  i've really done it this time...i can't let you have a car that i wouldn't own myself.  i promise yours will be done by the 'un-meet'.  btw, could you send 2 sets of trucks and couplers?!

to all:  having fun with ray has become a 'tradition'!  he's a heck of a nice guy and takes the 'ribbing' better than anyone i know...well, most anyone i know.

ray:  the photo below is solely for you, buddy!

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SANY0003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  SANY0001.jpg - 96700 Bytes
« Reply #742 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 10:02pm »

hi all,

okay, here's the view ray's really been waiting on!

btw, ray, in the previous photo off to the right is a new battery that will go in the cupola area.  if you have a small 2 amp charger, you can forward that if you want.  otherwise, i'll locate one and install it for you.  the idea is to be able to drop the cab at a power station and recharge for more night running.  depending on space, a 2nd battery can be added with an a-b master switch.

to all:  ray does an awful lot of night running.  in the not too distant future, i'll show how the electrical system goes together.  if you're going to build a car like this one, might as well plan ahead.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SANY0001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #743 on: Sep 28th, 2008, 7:44am »

George,

I'm out of words,(yes, thats right, I did say that) on how to describe your beautiful workmanship. This project looks AWESOME !!!

And thankyou for takeing the time to describe your process along with the photos.

Bruce

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #744 on: Sep 28th, 2008, 10:35am »

Moose,

Nice lookin start.  Lookin fwd to wiring info.  Keep that camera in hand.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #745 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 6:12am »

George,  that is amazing!     looks fantastic

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  IC_9094-2.jpg - 62678 Bytes
« Reply #746 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 6:45pm »

hi all,

ray:  here's a look at ic 9094.  the ic caboose that is the inspiration for the one taking shape in the shop!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IC_9094-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_9-29-08_002.jpg - 167500 Bytes
« Reply #747 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 7:07pm »

hi all,

here's the ic caboose as it looks tonight.  the 'a' roof still needs some smoothing work.  normally, i'd leave the rough cut 'lumber' for a more rustic look, but for the time period it will represent, a newer look is called for.  so a roof that has seen better maintenance it will be.  if you look close, you'll see the wood filler...something i don't normally do.  i won't erase the lumber outlines, but create a less desparate look.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-29-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #748 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 7:08pm »

.....and check out those trucks, Ray. Does anyone make 'em?

I wanna see how ol' Moosey handles those double hung windows....

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2008, 7:11pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #749 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 7:19pm »

Quiz Time

Who knows the purpose of the grab irons, on either side of the doors, about window height?

Proffessional trainmen need not reply....

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_9-29-08_002.jpg - 131872 Bytes
« Reply #750 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 7:19pm »

hi all,

here's an update on the wm cupola...a little more work and it will be ready to FIRMLY attach to the roof of the car.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_9-29-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #751 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 8:06pm »

Moose,
I'd love to get a copy of any sketches or drawings you have prepared for building this caboose.  It's exactly what I would like to build also.  (Hopefully there are no "trademark infringement" issues.

Dan

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #752 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 10:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Sep 29th, 2008, 7:19pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Quiz Time

Who knows the purpose of the grab irons, on either side of the doors, about window height?

Proffessional trainmen need not reply....

Greg B.

Would those be for the conductor to hold onto as he leans out to grab the marker lamps.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_9-30-08_002.jpg - 121012 Bytes
« Reply #753 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 9:39pm »

hi all,

i've changed schedules at work, so i'm able to work in the shop a couple more hours a day.  slow and steady progress wins the day.  the photo below shows where the ic caboose was this afternoon.  i cut all the roof lumber and it is now installed on the 'b' end roof.  i'll spend some time smoothing just as i've done on the 'a' end before moving on to applying the 'tar paper'.  if you look closely, i start laying the lumber from each side and work towards the middle.  the center strip is custom cut to account for irregularities in the lumber.  the lumber is glued/tacked to the interior frame and edge-glued to each other.  believe me, it works!  the whole assembly becomes one solid unit.  

for those who are curious, the clamps holding the ends are for creating a smooth transition to some exterior roof supports.  they come later!

enjoy,  

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-30-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_9-30-08_005.jpg - 114648 Bytes
« Reply #754 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 10:07pm »

hi all,

while i had me panel aid set up on the table saw, i went ahead and cut all the lumber for the cupola roof as well.  the photo below shows the initial layout for that operation.  for now, the lumber will be bundled up and set aside.  the cupola interior needs some finishing work before beening enclosed.  preliminary interior fixtures are the next operation.  i'm holding off of the steel frame until i have the trucks and couplers in-hand.  getting the frame geometry right is best done without having to worry about the gingerbread.  

btw, pockets was asking how i was going to do the double-hung windows.  well, as i ponder his question, i think it would be great if he would post a picture of object of his request.    pockets has a wonderful way of explaining things so...pockets, the youngsters are all yours!

dan:  pockets and i both had to lol!  i don't create drawings per se...i'll send you copies of my cocktail napkins if you like?!  seriously, i do use a spread sheet to help with calculations and to hold as-built data.  i'll gladly forward to you when the project is complete.  many thanks for your contributions to my ongoing efforts!

moose

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-30-08_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 10:12pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #755 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 10:45pm »

Bobby,
For that correct answer you get an extra 20 min. Pevo Patio break!

George,
I'll do anything I can to help. First, you have to state your request in one of the many varieties of English. I'll put a drawing together, get it into the 'puter and send it to you. You can post it, burn it or send it to Dan.... with the rest of your napkins. How thick are those dang walls? I might as well design this thing, for you. I'll break it down so simple the even I can understand it!

A lifetime ago, when I had my prototyping shop, I used to put a notation on the drawings that went out to the shop floor. It read B2P4 1. The translation is; Build To Print For Once!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 10:49pm by pockets » Logged

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #756 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 12:18pm »

on Sep 30th, 2008, 10:45pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A lifetime ago, when I had my prototyping shop, I used to put a notation on the drawings that went out to the shop floor. It read B2P4 1. The translation is; Build To Print For Once!

Greg B.

I love it, I love it, I love it.  Can I use it?  

Want to see a liar?  Look at the person that slaps the "AS BUILT" stamp on a design drawing without making a lot of changes on it.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #757 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 2:22pm »

Dan,

I owe you and George an appology. When you visited recently down to the BCRR, there was so much water around that I did'nt drag out my beautifully rebuild and improved MCC  Erie caboose. Done by George T, of course.

George, if you care to, you might want to bring forward some of the pics of the rebuild to show the differences between a new construction and what needs to be done to save an older car like mine.

Just a thought,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #758 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 2:43pm »

George H,
Feel free to use it.....I found it on a switch gear layout, in a nuclear power plant!! ;

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_003.jpg - 124576 Bytes
« Reply #759 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 8:50pm »

hi all,

dan:  since you missed the rebuild/restoration series, here's a look at where i started on the 'weary erie'.  i started out just to freshen, to update, and to replace damaged details.   the more i got into to it, the more problems i found.  the photo below is the beginning of the tear-down.

to all:  bruce r and i go back a number of years.  in all that time, he's not asked for anything for himself, so when given the opportunity, the erie caboose came home with me.  for every new project i do, i set challenges for myself...to learn, to achieve, and to demonstrate.  i refused to return the erie as a car i wouldn't be happy to call mine.  that's what i wanted bruce r to feel...friendship is earned and he's earned mine in spades.  for all the things he's taught me, for all the people who've come into the hobby because of his tireless efforts...restoration of the 'weary erie' was my ever so small way of saying "thank you."

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »