Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 9:18am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29286 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #700 on: Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Very nice George, very nice indeed.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  journal_boxes_8-27-08_004.jpg - 143794 Bytes
« Reply #701 on: Aug 27th, 2008, 3:53pm »

hi all,

bruce:  thanks for the compliment!  i'm trying hard to be a credit to the hobby by making things myself, thereby learning new skills along the way.  even with this new foray into home foundry work, i feel like i'm following in ben's footsteps.  even if my first attempts fail and i expect them to, i will have gained so much more knowledge than if i were to have taken out my chequebook and paid someone else.  compared to some to the super-fine work seen else-where, my pattern-work is clumsy and crude, but it's my work...it's my education.  in other circles, i'll be laughed at, but my work will get better as my skills improve...those who laugh will run out of cheques!  

as you know so well, the hobby is about the journey; the sharing of moments great/small; taking pride in seeing others enjoy the results of what you do; seeing your equipment perform as it should; and not the destination of having the prettiest non-functioning pieces of junk.  to have found friends like you, pockets, big bruce, pete b, and the rest (forgive me, but there's a lot) are the best reasons to start.  it's the glue of true friendships.  thanks for being here!

to all:  variety is the spice of life, so is the need for there to be more than one type of journal box.  back at the turn of the century, if you looked on most branckline equipment, the sharp eye would catch the some of the journal boxes were different even in the same truck.  when i was visiting with pockets away up in michigan, our conjammerin' alway gets around to prototypical practice.  i've had the pleasure of his library on a number of occasions.  if you don't have access to resource materials, you're lost!  what a wonderful feeling to be able to look up something of interest.  so, knowing that i wanted something different, when i got home, i started looking.  instead of the top-clip method, i found an older version that used bolts or large screw on a diagonal.  pawing through the us patent office, there are enough differences between them that it would make an interesting model...one that most folks would miss.  the photo below is not only my latest try, but also variation on a theme.  

enjoy,

moose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/journal_boxes_8-27-08_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #702 on: Aug 27th, 2008, 4:27pm »

Moosey,
Thanks for the inclusion in the above group. I consider that a compliment of the highest order.

I know the process and the destination, and in that context, your paterns are looking real good. The learning curve on those things is darned near vertical and you seem to be handling it well.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  journal_boxes_9-03-08_002.jpg - 136864 Bytes
« Reply #703 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:07pm »

hi all,

many thanks for all of the kind words about the journal box patterns.  sometimes it's embarrasing to show your work, warts and all, but that's how i can prove almost anyone can do what i do.  i had an email question recently about how i went about creating the patterns, just do it!  well, it's not quite that easy, but as my grandfather taught me about working with wood, just cut away the parts that aren't needed.  again, more easily said than done.  i started with napkin sketches with rough measurements then whittled away on foam.  currently, i'm using florist foam...easy to carve...easy to break, er, and easy to repair!

here's the latest pattern...just for pockets!

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/journal_boxes_9-03-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  journal_boxes_9-03-08_003.jpg - 120015 Bytes
« Reply #704 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:43pm »

hi all,

i wanted to take a moment and show you the start of the process as well as the intermediate state.  the last pattern is sitting atop a block of foam from which the next sample will be made.  as i said above, just whittle away what you don't need...remembering for the casting process that your pattern should be at least 3% larger than the final casting.  pretty soon, we'll learn if i followed this sage advice given by pockets and others.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/journal_boxes_9-03-08_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
ic caboose!
  ic_caboose_9-03-08_001.jpg - 117668 Bytes
« Reply #705 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:49pm »

hi all,

ray:  it's started!  you're seeing first fit-up.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-03-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #706 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:12pm »

Moosey,
I like the daylights outa that last one. I'll call you, tomorrow, with one critical dimension! Anxiously awaiting nine engineering samples.....

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #707 on: Sep 4th, 2008, 2:02pm »

George ,  thankyou so much for taking  this project on.    This will be a very special addition to my train, because it is being  hand crafted by you.   I am looking forward to the progress reports. Ray III

pockets
Historian

« Reply #708 on: Sep 4th, 2008, 9:00pm »

Smirk, heh heh heh..... I love surprises.....

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_9-09-08_002.jpg - 126664 Bytes
« Reply #709 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 8:00pm »

hi all,

i've had a couple of projects running at once.  over the last several days, a lot has been done.  as those who follow this thread know, the wm caboose came back to the shop because damage done by some folks that should have known better.  the repairs have waited on the start of the ic caboose.  creating the caboose siding is a laborious process...no hard, but tedious.  most of the siding is done.  the wm caboose needs to be finished first due to space constraints.  

now, to those persons who think that moving rail equipment doesn't require ginger care...ya better pay attention!  the photo below shows the new cupola mocked up for a fine fit to the roof.  when that has been done, the window openings will be cut and the cupola assembled.  this car was damaged before the person i created it for ever saw it completed.  i'll now have to take time to make it look new...again.  as those who build come to know, the equipment becomes like a child.  it hurts to see your children sustain injury, especially at someone else's hands.  dismantling the remaining parts of the old cupola wasn't easy for me.  the old parts are in the foreground.

the owner of the wm caboose trusts me to make good the damage done by others.  when the cupola is complete, i can move on to re-doing the brasswork that was damaged.   damn, damn, damn, damn...what a waste of time and effort, all because someone said, "i didn't know," and didn't 'bother' to find out.  in this hobby, if you break it, you repair, you buy it, you replace it, but you don't walk away and say nothing.  the wm caboose isn't a kit, it's one-of-a-kind.  just once, i'd like to see the people that damaged it, try to repair it.  on second thought, i wouldn't wish that on anyone's child...er, equipment.

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_9-09-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_caboose_9-09-08_003.jpg - 132598 Bytes
« Reply #710 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 8:19pm »

hi all,

on to more pleasant news!  alex is back on his train!  we met this morning for breakfast (bruce, you know the place!) and then proceeded to the railroad in largo.  recently, i was able to rebuild the carb on alex's engine (a photo was posted on the 'gasoline alley' thread.  with it all bolted back together, the tank was filled, the starter cord pulled, and the engine roared to life!  a little tweak here and there...the engine ran as smoothly as it is posible for a B&S engine to run.  for the first time in many months, alex ran the railroad with his train...you couldn't wipe the smile off his face with a mop.  

speaking of smiles on faces, for those of you who know the wabash loco in the background, the owner's health has improved well enough for him to take his engine around the railroad last saturday!  hopefully, we'll see him with his complete train in the not too distant future!

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_caboose_9-09-08_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_caboose_9-09-08_001.jpg - 137920 Bytes
« Reply #711 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 8:25pm »

hi all,

alex on the road again!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_caboose_9-09-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #712 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 9:14pm »

Thanks, George. It's good to see Alex, again.

Greg B.

rsrlon
Chaser
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars

« Reply #713 on: Sep 9th, 2008, 12:57am »

George, I have to say that I have always been amazed by the cabeese (caboosi? cabbi?) that you've built. I would be hard pressed to come anywhere near the quality and detail that you've achieved. I'm looking forward to reading more about your castings.

On another note, it's been a while since I've made it down to Largo. It's good to see Alex on the rails again and I'm also glad to hear that both the Wabash and (more importantly) it's owner are doing better.

Lon

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008, 12:59am by rsrlon » Logged

Step 1, as always, is where you begin.
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  Copy_of_cab23.jpg - 80674 Bytes
« Reply #714 on: Sep 9th, 2008, 6:40pm »

hi all,

the work on the ic caboose continues...will be able to post some photos shortly.  for now, i want to give a taste of some source materials sent to me by steaminheaton!  forgive me for making the posting, but ray's friend did some fantastic woodworking.  it will also show what i'm up against!  over the last few months, i've been pouring over all my source materials, including photos forwarded to me by ray.  i won't name the gentleman in this post, i'll reserve that pleasure for ray himself.  the work is fantastic and the story of the man is fasinating.

enjoy as i'd had the pleasure!

moose

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (2304x1728, 80674 bytes)

Click Here to View Image Copy_of_cab23.jpg - 80674 Bytes

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008, 6:45pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars
  raritan_river_caboose_3-13-05_003-2.jpg - 58321 Bytes
« Reply #715 on: Sep 13th, 2008, 10:22pm »

hi all,

lon:  many thanks for the compliment...but your signiture line says it all!  just start!  you know some of my past, so i had some experience in woodworking and mechanical before i started building.  getting over the initial resistance or 'i could never do that' is the key.  i'll go you one better, if you'll find some time to come visit, there's a project (the raritan river cab) hanging around that would interest you.  should you have room to store it, it will teach you quite a bit about how build your own equipment...and not to make the same mistakes.  in time, i will eventually finish it, but for now, it's in the way!  it's a great 'learner' piece.  pockets knows of which i speak.

to all:  the ic caboose has gotten a lot more attention in the last three days.  i'm actually gluing parts together...no turning back now.  this one marks a change for me.  i'm inletting the marque boards across each side of the car for a better scale appearance.  it will also teach me what i'll need to do to change the marque-ledger boards from wood to steel (not this project).  these helpful 'handles'...lol...will 'aid' in future car-by-the-hand-of-god movements!

if there's a weakness in my railcars, it's where the marque-ledger boards extend as platform roof supports.  future-wise, creating them from steel should help with this problem.  photos tomorrow!

moose the caboose

on Sep 9th, 2008, 12:57am, rsrlon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George, I have to say that I have always been amazed by the cabeese (caboosi? cabbi?) that you've built. I would be hard pressed to come anywhere near the quality and detail that you've achieved. I'm looking forward to reading more about your castings.

On another note, it's been a while since I've made it down to Largo. It's good to see Alex on the rails again and I'm also glad to hear that both the Wabash and (more importantly) it's owner are doing better.

Lon

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/raritan_river_caboose_3-13-05_003-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #716 on: Sep 13th, 2008, 10:40pm »

George,

As useual, your workmanship speaks for itself. That is going to be one nice caboose. I know a certain person will be delighted with it.

Beautiful work!

Bruce

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #717 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 1:27pm »

George,   what a treat , to get to see the IC caboose,  come together from the ground up.     These pics help us understand , how much time goes into one of your cabs.   Your work is amzing, as is evident, by your attention to detail.   Ray III

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_9-14-08_002.jpg - 116104 Bytes
« Reply #718 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 7:14pm »

hi all,

to the group:  forgive the confusion that i've allowed to creep into the thread.  the photo just above was for lon's benefit...i think i scared ray half to death by letting him think it was his!  photo is of the raritan river caboose, not the ic.  

okay pockets, snickering time is over...time to reveal the REAL ic caboose!  what some may not realize is that pockets and i talk almost everyday.  initially, i was going to produce a peaked roof cab...like some many that ran all over the ic railroad, but after looking at all my research materials for wood cars and with deference to ray's late friend Bob Flesch, i decided to stay truer to the actual prototype.  ray's cab won't be an exact copy of bob's, but true enough that i think he would approve.  the reference car is ic 9094, from a series of cars built between 1916 and 1929.  the last of these cars were sold or scrapped between 1967 and 1971.  the photo below gives an approximate feel for how the finished caboose will look.  the cupola is from the wm caboose...not the ic.  the ic cupola will have about half the rake or vertical angle (3.5 degrees from true vertical) than the wm caboose has (7 degrees from true vertical).  i'll be working on the ic cupola next weekend.

ray, you can breathe now!  btw, if you have a particular set of caboose marker lights you want to use, now's the time to forward two sets down here.

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-14-08_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ic_caboose_9-14-08_003.jpg - 105145 Bytes
« Reply #719 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 7:27pm »

hi all,

here's another view of the ic caboose.  several pieces of the internal structure are going in.  over the years, i've learned that process is very important...do what you can before the car goes on wheels.  the carbody is being built so that it can be removed from the foundation/chassis if needs be.  that means that anything internal to the car must come away with the body and not stay with the floor.  planning is everything, it's hard to make an after-thought look like it's supposed to be there!

enjoy,

moose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ic_caboose_9-14-08_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »