Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 19th, 2017, 7:22pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29355 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-17-08_008.jpg - 21041 Bytes
« Reply #660 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 10:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

and you know, i had to install it...at least temporarily!  here's that view!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-17-08_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-17-08_009.jpg - 35998 Bytes
« Reply #661 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 10:24pm »

hi all,

one more photo for tonight, what one of the doors looks like from the front!   i will post more...as soon as i get it done!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-17-08_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #662 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 6:25am »

George,

Your putting me into shock!!! This is'nt nice to do to an old man.
Thankyou for all of your hard work. And for shareing your tallents.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #663 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 8:19am »

George,
That's a fine piece of work, on that raised panel door. Both sides, too....

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-21-08_003.jpg - 50466 Bytes
« Reply #664 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 9:26pm »

hi all,

bruce:  keep watchin', it's coming together!

pockets:  thanks for your comments, i really am starting to get where i want to work on larger quipment...i need a larger anvil!

to all:  progress is being made on the wirework, the photo below shows i'm over halfway done with the cupola and the 'b' end work, with the 'a' end pieces ready for fitting.  the cupola pieces are the hardest due to the 'twin' bolts that have to be silver-soldered at the same time.  this is a first for me, so there's a learning curve to it.  this weekend should see the ladders, hoops, and end-railings completed.  then there comes the mad rush to paint and final installation!  wednesday isn't THAT far away, now!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-21-08_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-21-08_009.jpg - 50113 Bytes
« Reply #665 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 9:32pm »

hi all,

here's an overall view of what's been going on.  it's starting to get close to the end of the build!  there's still a lot of work to go and a few more challenges to overcome, but i think we'll make it.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-21-08_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_001.jpg - 52638 Bytes
« Reply #666 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 9:09pm »

hi all,

its been a hard weekend in the shop...it rained most of saturday, so i had re-arrange the schedule to do other things that could be done.  so how did i do?   i'm a little a head and a little behind on some aspects of the total project.  the to-do list has shrunk, but still plenty to keep me busy (platform flooring, window installation, battery box installation, step-unit, wirework installation, fitting 'b' ladder hoops, ect.) 'til wednesday!

over the weekend, the ladders and endrailings were completed, a tiny bit of fitting-up for reliable operation left to do tomorrow night.  most of the body paint issues were taken care of saturday before the downpour, along with the exterior trim coverings for the caboose lantern electrical.  speaking of the lanterns, i also mounted the lantern bases on the side of the car.  i put that off for a while 'til i figured out what to mount them with...not screws!  it finally hit me friday night that 5/8" machine brads are a perfect fit...just pre-bore the holes and install with my special duty ca glue.  okay, i know what you're thinking.  what if i want to remove the bases in the future?  easy, a controlled 'tap' with a small nail-set gives just enough shock to break the bond without destroying the casting(it works, i did it on this project, hehe!)

anyway, for those of you who are wanting to see how it looks tonight, here is!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_004.jpg - 48588 Bytes
« Reply #667 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 9:23pm »

hi all,

here's a closer view of the 'a' end roof section as well as the ladder detail.  the ladder and hoop sections fit 'pin-n-socket' style and are held in registration by two small brackets.  unfortunately, i will have to use small brass screws for this, because they do/might have to be removed once in a while.  

the grabirons on the cupola roof are now installed and finished along with all the cupola windows.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_006.jpg - 43556 Bytes
« Reply #668 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 9:30pm »

hi all,

here's a closer view of the cupola.  sorry for the photos not being in sharp focus, i think the camera is just as tired as i am...dang it's gettin' hard to ypte, er, type!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_2-24-08_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #669 on: Feb 25th, 2008, 8:23pm »

George,  

Its beautifull!!! I've run out of words to compliment your work on this incarnation. But W-O-W comes to mind. Good Night Nurse are a few more!!

Thankyou so much for your dedication to this project.

Your friend,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #670 on: Feb 25th, 2008, 8:44pm »

AMEN Although some things are conspicuous by their absence

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  22808_1267.jpg - 48745 Bytes
« Reply #671 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 11:01pm »

hi all,

it's been a long, long, long day, but the caboose is done!  i'm currently in the environs of fort myers and about to turn in.  after a late start and a flat tire, i'm tired!  so, here's a view of the legacy erie caboose as it is now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

bruce r: see ya in da morning!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/22808_1267.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #672 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 6:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George that caboose doesn't look anything like it's former self. Nicely done as always. If I know Bruce, he will be running cabooseless for fear of scratching this one.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #673 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 4:46pm »

George,

That Caboose looks awesome, I hope Bruce will run it rather then keeping it on display That is a true piece of art  and looks great! Can't wait to see it on the road

Anthony

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #674 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 8:57pm »

Friends,

George T. brought my old (new) caboose back to me today. To say that I was dumb struck would be putting it mildly. The pictures don't do it or George's workmanship justice.  

All of the visitors here for the Un=Meet of "08" were equally impressed by the reincarnation of this old car. Since all of them are familiar with it.

Thankyou again George,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM2651.jpg - 55897 Bytes
« Reply #675 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 10:18pm »

hi all,

it was a great day in south florida!   we ran trains, talked, ran trains, talked, ran trains, talked, ran trains, ate a great outdoor meal, and talked!  what more could a live steamer ask for?  

oh! btw, we also let bruce r see his caboose...after bruce-the-larger helped me present a garbage bag full of remnants and a roof to him as his new caboose 'with a problem' on the lift!!!!  it was a hoot!  well, almost...bruce r knows us too well!  i had one other surprize instore for him.  i added some addition details and purposely didn't show them in the last photo above.  the photo below shows the added elements.  see what you think!  

rolling out the erie legacy caboose and presenting its features was one of my proudest moments, because here's one of the few people who believed enough in me, to mentor me in railroad geometry and good solid live steam practices.   it's not often that i have a chance to do something like this for one who has meant so much to me.  thanks for the opportunity to say "thank you, bruce!"

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2651.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM2653.jpg - 91609 Bytes
« Reply #676 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 10:29pm »

hi all,

thank you for your wonderful compliments...it means a lot!  it is also a point to say that if i can do, so can you.  i've learned soooooo much from guys like the two bruces, pete, pockets, and all the others including our live steam pioneers.  just doing my part to pass it on.

btw, here's the photo that many of you have be waiting on....bruce r reunited with his rejuvenated erie caboose.  the truth is, it's still my caboose until he puts decals on it, then it's totally his!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2653.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #677 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 4:46pm »

It looks great outside!

Can we expect an Erie logo put on it Bruce?

Anthony

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM2709.jpg - 75066 Bytes
« Reply #678 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:34pm »

hi all,

anthony:  knowing bruce r, the only answer i can give is....shortly!

to all:  the erie legacy caboose ran on home rails today!  i was sooo busy prep work, firing, and learning the basics on an engine built by my departed friend ben s (now owned by art), that i didn't get a chance to take photos of the caboose doing what it is supposed to do...travel.  i did get a picture of it at our afternoon break.  

later on, we held the official lighting of the caboose lanterns.  what a beautiful sight and boy were they bright!  i think bruce is going to enjoy having it around...the caboose has already been threatened with 'keying' if he doesn't!  lol!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2709.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #679 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:04pm »

hi all,

i'm home from the 'un-meet '08' and basking in the memories created by a great bunch of folks.  long may they be able to inspire folks like me to build better, operate better, and teach better.  to pete, bruce r, marve, ron, bobby, and all the rest of the bcrr folks...thank you soooo much for your hard work and hospitality!  i had a ball!

with the erie legacy caboose back on home rails, what's next?  if a certain eje cab and wm cab don't make it back to my shop(you catching my drift andrew?  don't loose your place on the build table!!!), i'm going to finish another project that's in the shop (appearing on 'another network' as they used to say), then move back to the raritan river caboose (that one you WILL see) that's been on hold for sometime now.  when everything is out of the shop, you're going to see some BIG stuff get built!

i was going to take a couple of weeks off before i started, but that 'old feelin' has returned...as bruce-the-larger says, it's interesting when you become a "shop-rat!"  soooo, i'm just going to take a couple of days off.
yeah, right!?

moose the caboose

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »